Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Germany

What's Germany like? I'm think my summer vacation there.

by Anonymousreply 102Last Friday at 9:46 PM

Diligent, humorless, beer-soaked and haunted.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2013

'I think my vacation there.' Hmmmm. Maybe you should spend some time taking an English class in summer school.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2013

Germany is lovely in the summer. Sunrise (in the North) sets at 10PM, rises again at 4AM. They do love their beer. "Haunted"? Oh please.

I can tell you as of 2012 Berlin is a remarkably cheap city filled with remarkably young people. Tons of art everywhere (some of it admittedly pretty bad). A bit too easy to get into a eternal party mode.

Tons of theatre, opera, museums, etc. if that's your sort of thing. Personally not into blondes that much, but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2013

Ask a member of the military that has lived there. Both good and bad, can be expensive

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2013

Germany is one of the nicest places to live in the world. Especially the west part.

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2013

When in the summer. As is the case with a lot of Europe, Germany goes on one mass vacation in August. On the other hand, it is loaded with tourists. It is not the best time to get an idea of the real Germany.

What do you want to do? What are your interests? Germany is a fairly large country. The artist colonies along the Baltic Sea are quite different from the fairytale towns of the Romantic Road, which is different from the urban life in Berlin. There is no one Germany.

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2013

What R6 said.

I loved it when I was there several years ago. I spent time in Hamburg, Hanover, Heidelberg, Rotenberg-ob-der-Tauber, and Munich. I regret that I skipped Berlin which was really coming back into its own at that time.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2013

German men are some of the most beautiful in the world. Some of them left me speechless, they were so good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2013

They are always laughing. Not humorless at all.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2013

The German Comedy Ambassador

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2013

Laughter does not require a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2013

There are more answers in....the EXISTING thread on Germany.

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2013

I visited Munich with friends in the mid 90s. Great food, clubs and, of course, beer. It was very easy to get around by train. I'd happily go back now to see more of the country.

by Anonymousreply 1301/23/2013

Are German men into anal? What are they like in bed?

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

yes, oh, yes, they are, R15. very much so and the german society in large is very homo-oriented.

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

Are Germans As Uptight And Anally Retentive As They've Been Portrayed For Over A Century?

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

R16 Tell more. Are straight guys willing to experiment there? Are they known for being good in bed?

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

Clean, orderly, active. Spend vacay in Baden- Baden, that sexy spa town and then train it to Berlin for debauchery.

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

Germany is still very homophobic. Be particularly careful when traveling outside of the cities or in the South.

Equal marriage is not even being discussed and laws for basic tax equality are still being shot down by Germanys current leader, Frau: Angela Merkel, who then always mentions that she still allows a living homosexual to exist in her cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 2004/04/2013

Technologically advanced.

Socially backward.

by Anonymousreply 2104/05/2013

It is interesting how extreme Germany is beginning to look now that France, Spain and the UK have full equality and Germany doesn't even allow civil partnerships. It makes German look very bad. Reminds people of Germanys murderous anti-LGBT history.

by Anonymousreply 2204/26/2013

Koeln is just about the gayest city on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2013

It sounds like Gays are permitted to exist in Germany and in public, providing they accept their second class citizenship status.

Warped!

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2013

Went to Berlin last year. I was not looking forward to it since I'm biracial. I was so pleasantly surprised by the city. Lotsa great restaurants, clubs, beer gardens of course, and really fun, open, and interesting people. It was also very cheap when compared with other major european cities. I loved it. You should definitely go!!

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2013

R22 Civil partnerships are allowed since 2001. Tax and adoption is still handled differently with homosexual couples. Germany is pretty gay friendly. Has an openly gay foreign minister and an openly gay mayor of Berlin, which is the capital city. Gay couples being affectionate with each other in public is quite common, esp in the big cities.

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2013

The real question for Berlin, is will it ever become the European hot spot for the "jet set", it apparently was in the 1930s. Germany still appears to be a very isolated country from the outside. People from around the world don't seem to want to go an hang out in Germany or Berlin these days. Prague - yes. London - yes. Amsterdam - yes.

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2013

Germans feeling the emotional need to convince themselves, Germany is OK for gays, is one of the main reasons why Germany has fallen so far behind most other western countries.

You people need to stop defending Germany's abysmal record and get angry with the German government.

Yes, there is still lingering anti-gay sentiment left of from the Nazi era, yes the Vatican is controlling German Catholics like little hate-puppets. 70% of the German population is suppose to be for full gay equality, but they are doing nothing real about it and many are starting to wonder if this 70% figure is a blatant propaganda driven lie.

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2013

Conservatives are trying to destroy Germany and German prosperity along with their hatred of gays. In Germany, as everywhere else, Conservatives are a blight.

by Anonymousreply 2904/26/2013

I went to Berlin last summer, and while I liked it, I didn't find it to be the huge gay haven that people always claim it is. In fact, the gay "scene" seemed pretty lame - all of the so-called popular bars were boring and had old ugly guys in it. Maybe I just went to the wrong places, but I was definitely disappointed. London's gay scene is WAY better.

by Anonymousreply 3104/29/2013

London seems to attract all of Euorpe's younger gay men. Berlin holds its own though.

by Anonymousreply 3204/29/2013

Maybe if Germany improved its abysmal LGBT equality record, more younger gays would visit.

Nobody wants to vacation as a second class personage, even though they are paying a first class fare.

by Anonymousreply 3304/29/2013

The 'Germany is anti-gay' troll makes Janbot look Cartesian in her arguments.

And the flyover coach-class tourist posters probably couldn't even wait on line at Berghain, much less get in.

Germany is awesome, OP. Especially if you're a slut. Go!

by Anonymousreply 3404/29/2013

Only for leather sluts over 50 who think great means no longer rounded up and murdered in concentrations camps R34. But for gay people under 50, Germany is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 3604/29/2013

The bohemian 'live for today for who knows what tomorrow may bring' attitude which infects Berlin and hasn't changed since Isherwood is very very attractive -- especially if you've been raised with bourgeois attitudes. I knew someone who ran a backpacking hostel and was exposed to a far greater number of straight young men than I might otherwise be. The Berlin straight boys were very free and easy: open to experimentation and didn't really give a fuck about who they fucked or indeed a lot else. Germans do love their piss/shit sex: there's a level of fetishism there that only the Japanese, an equally fascist society, can match. Most are as plain as porridge, but the very handsome do indeed resemble. until they hit 35, God or Hitler's driven angels.

by Anonymousreply 3704/29/2013

Ironic how the World War 2 Axis powers are the same countries who reject gays today.

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2013

I want to do a tour of the active concentration camps. Where can I find them?

by Anonymousreply 3904/29/2013

Rumor has it Angela Merkel is retrofitting Dachau, about 16 Km north of Munich, R39.

by Anonymousreply 4004/29/2013

The Catholic presence surprised me. Munich is nice, atmospheric, Bavarian. The countryside in the south east around Munich is very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 4104/29/2013

People have to understand that Catholic is Italian.

Why are Germans obeying Italians? Doesn't that piss Germans off a little?

by Anonymousreply 4204/29/2013

I might be going there again this year OP. This will be my 4th time there in 5 years, depending on business.

I would move there in a heartbeat but I like where I live. I like the orderliness of German society, the rules. I like Germans but I don't find them very attractive. They all seem to have a jutting chin or jutting jawline.

The trains run on time and are clean. It's safe at night for people. I love it.

I also love German food. I don't drink so don't know about German beer, which they love. I love walking everywhere and being able to get anywhere via public transportation.

There's no a/c so in August you're going to sweat profusely, IDK if it's poosible but see if you can get a hotel with a/c. I haven't found one yet but I'm sure there's got to be one there.

Also the Mayor of Frankfurt is Jewish and gay.

by Anonymousreply 4304/29/2013

[quote]There's no a/c so in August you're going to sweat profusely

Yes! WTF is the deal with that? I was there last August and there was no air conditioning ANYWHERE, even when it was 90+ degrees! The only places that had it were a few department stores and even then it was on so low that you could barely feel it.

Why can't Europeans embrace air conditioning? It was made for a reason!

by Anonymousreply 4404/29/2013

It is the fact that all these supposedly gay German politicians continue to be fine with their second class citizen status, which really freaks me out.

by Anonymousreply 4504/30/2013

One of the roadblocks to Gay marriage in Germany is Germany's pro-family social engineering. The German government spend an enormous amount of money each year on trying to promote the traditional family: husband, stay-at-home wife,children, marriage. The program has been an abysmal failure, with many Germans having children without marriage, or not having children at all. (Germany has one of the lowest birth rates in the EU.) However, if Gays and Lesbians win the right to marriage, then they will have the right to that money. The additional cost would kill Germany. Of course the answer is to get rid of the programs that do not work anyway, but nooooooo...

by Anonymousreply 4604/30/2013

[quote]People have to understand that Catholic is Italian.

You poor, poor thing. However do you get through life with six surviving brain cells?

by Anonymousreply 4704/30/2013

Late for your 7 year old boy party R47?

by Anonymousreply 4804/30/2013

Sorry to hijack. Thinking about visiting for the first time. Probably in early September. Is it worth it to visit Berlin and Munich? Would you suggest flying to save time?

by Anonymousreply 4905/03/2013

R49, where would you be traveling from? What would the alternatives to flying be?

Definitely Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 5005/03/2013

NYC, R50. I meant flying from one city to the other opposed to taking the train, which I think is about 6 hours...

by Anonymousreply 5105/03/2013

Does Germany have separation of Religion and State laws?

by Anonymousreply 5205/03/2013

R52 Did you fall asleep 500 years ago and just woke up?

by Anonymousreply 5305/04/2013

[quote]Also the Mayor of Frankfurt is Jewish and gay.

He is Jewish, but not gay.

by Anonymousreply 5405/04/2013

[quote]It is the fact that all these supposedly gay German politicians continue to be fine with their second class citizen status, which really freaks me out.

I find this disturbing as well.

by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2013

Get rid of Angela Merkel and much of the anti-gay sentiment in Germany would disappear too.

by Anonymousreply 5605/04/2013

The gay rights movement must be really lazy in Germany. You never hear about them fighting for gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 5705/04/2013

Japan does not reject gays.

by Anonymousreply 5805/04/2013

Japan has this confusion between gay and transgendered. Most think the 2 are the same. Everything else is just sex, it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Kind of a weird Japanese thing.

by Anonymousreply 5905/12/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 6010/11/2014

The tight relationship between Catholics and Nazis was centered in Bavaria (which is often compared to the US Deep South) since after WW1, the communists were trying to take over the area (and would have done away with the church) and Hitler's guys kept that from happening.

Pius XII was Cardinal of Munich at the time, and was Pope during WW2, so his actions are still being studied by concerned Catholics who note that Dachau was in his former archdiocese.

by Anonymousreply 6110/12/2014

Ach! An Aryan paradise!

by Anonymousreply 6210/12/2014

R61, not to divert the thread, but Pius XII aka Eugenio Pacelli, was never cardinal of Munich. He was papal nuncio, an ambassador. He did not run the Munich Archdiocese. He was never the Archbishop of Munich or any other diocese in Germany. He was made a cardinal at about the same time he was made Vatican Secretary of State in 1930. Dachau was set up in 1933, at which time Cardinal Pacelli was at the Vatican and had been for several years.

by Anonymousreply 6310/12/2014

[quote]But for gay people under 50, Germany is creepy.

You're just making it painfully obvious you've never been to Germany R36. I suspect you don't even own a passport like most the US. Please don't embarrass yourself further.

by Anonymousreply 6410/12/2014

[quote]It is interesting how extreme Germany is beginning to look now that France, Spain and the UK have full equality and Germany doesn't even allow civil partnerships.

Germany has civil partnerships since 2001.

[bold]R22 is too stupid to google?[/bold]

[quote]Koeln is just about the gayest city on the planet.

Yes, along with Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 6510/12/2014

Germany really is pretty fabulous. But for the RULES! Excruciating order, red tape, obedience.

by Anonymousreply 6610/12/2014

They are pretty blunt, and their language sounds mean, even when they are saying perfectly nice things.

But that bluntness -- geez...

by Anonymousreply 6710/12/2014

R67 Well, I am German and i like to be blunt, especially to Americans:-)

by Anonymousreply 6810/12/2014

Like in the USA, most of the anti-gay areas in Germany are in the south. Stay away from the Stuttgart and Munich areas. Also Dortmund has a bit of an anti-gay problem in their football fan club.

The real problem, the German population just doesn't care how gays are treated. Indifference can be dangerous.

The Greens and Die Linke politicians are your best map. Only go to areas where they hold office.

Stay away from ALL CDU/CSU elected districts, even in Berlin.

The SDP will and has sold out the LGBT community for a small piece of chocolate. But if nobody anti-gay is offering an SDP politician something s/he wants, you are likely safe.

by Anonymousreply 69Last Thursday at 5:27 PM

I was in Berlin for only five days but I thought the German language sounded very much like English, if you weren't listening to a specific conversation. Just the general hub-bub sounded like English. Dutch sounds like English, too. Latin languages do not. Berliners looked like Americans, too; except that there weren't many Blacks there. The stores looked like American stores, too.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Thursday at 5:54 PM

I'd love to go back to Berlin, but it seems too hard to learn the language.

by Anonymousreply 71Last Thursday at 5:55 PM

I've been in Germany many times and always liked it. Gay scene is rough and there is lots of action, but not the same way as in London or Madrid or Paris. Berlin is very open-minded and great city, but so are many others as well.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Thursday at 6:28 PM

Love Munich: great museums, good transit system, fresh beer and good shopping (I'm partial to Nachtmann crystal).

by Anonymousreply 73Last Thursday at 6:34 PM

I hear gas is cheap there.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Thursday at 7:01 PM

Germany's leader, Angela Merkel is Vladmir Putin's BFF.

by Anonymousreply 75Last Thursday at 7:51 PM

Just want to add to this Germany thread. Lived their for 6 months and developed a taste for Beer.

Flew into Frankfurt and stayed in Bavaria. Bavaria was awesome. I loved all the little cities, each having their own personality.

R49, if you are going in September do go to Munich, if you like beer the Oktoberfest is fun. R51, the trains were great in Germany, if you don't fly you can take the autobahn which you can go like 100 on, it is very fascinating.

As for the gay scene, i'm a gal and in Nuremberg I had no problem being shared by two men at the the same time. Double teaming me and going in the booty area. The young people seemed to be quite relaxed and flexible about things. The only thing was they did not want to talk about the holocaust. They said it was something they didn't like to think about.

I just loved it there and would like to go back but my family is not in the military anymore. The U.S. Military had some classes with some of the local Germans because they could be unruly in downtown bars and were always trying to screw their girlfriends. The German women were pretty easy to be had also.

Hilly terrains, lots of waking and most are very fit. No ice or freezers. The fraus (real ones) went to the market daily to shop. Beer and soda room temperature, but beer was delicious,

by Anonymousreply 76Last Friday at 1:06 PM

Well let me tell you OP, that "summer camp" I was sent to left a LOT to be desired and was nothing like the brochure!

by Anonymousreply 77Last Friday at 1:22 PM

I am German! But i´d liked to be someone else...

by Anonymousreply 78Last Friday at 1:28 PM

R76

Didn't want to talk about the Holocaust. Gee, I wonder why. I guess when I go to the US and suggest discussing slavery and murdering Native Americans, everyone will just happily do so.

by Anonymousreply 79Last Friday at 1:32 PM

Tell us more about the double penetration R67!

by Anonymousreply 80Last Friday at 1:37 PM

very nice, and comfortable, very dull though outside of Berlin

by Anonymousreply 81Last Friday at 1:40 PM

Now the US has full gay equality, Germany is really going to be framed as the Global leader of anti-gay countries......again.

If mentioning the Holocaust bothers everyone so much, then why do Germans still discriminate against gay people?, just like they did with the Pink Triangle in the Holocaust.

As long as Germans are still acting like this today, people will always bring it up and deservedly so.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Friday at 6:56 PM

[75] It's well known that Merkel can't stand Putin.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Friday at 7:05 PM

[quote]Germany is still very homophobic.

BS, about 65 - 81% of germans (depending on which poll you believe) approve of gay marriage in the Us those numbers are a lot lower.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Friday at 7:14 PM

Doesn't have the Mediterranean but it has its charms. As do all European countries.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Friday at 7:36 PM

As a U.S. Citizen who's lived in Germany for a few years now, I can say this: you'll be surprised at how accommodating Germans can be. There was another U.S. guy on the train recently, and he needed help with directions. This German couple -- clearly in their 60's -- answered him in fluent accented English, and then proceeded to throw shade about his shoes and how gay men are peacocks these days with all these bright colors. Lol

Yes, German men are some of the most beautiful men on the planet, and the most beautiful are so unaware that it makes their beauty all the more intoxicating. However, I feel that Dutch men ooze an intense sexual energy that Germans usually save for behind closed doors. And let me tell you: behind closed doors they are as freaky as one can be -- with very specific fetishes/interests -- that are developed from a very young age. For everything you can think of, there are lots of men who take that interest to the Nth degree times X.

The weather during the summer can be so pleasant. Today was a slightly humid 80 degrees with a refreshingly cold breeze providing balance. But only in the gay neighborhoods (well, those that still exist) will you see guys showing lots of skin, and evene then, it's nothing like in the U.S. They save that for going out. Oh, regarding going out: it's rather difficult to successfully operate a weekly club, as guys tend to prefer house parties or the monthly big parties. The only weekly clubs that survive are in areas where there's an overwhelming amount of tourists to compensate for the lack of locals.

Hotels can be quite cheap, if you stay away from the international chain hotels. Shopping should be reserved for cheaper economies, as clothing -- especially imports -- are egregiously overpriced. I nearly gagged seeing a pair of Lee jeans just as expensive as Diesel or G-Star. They love American clothing like Abercrombie & Fitch, until it's locally available...

Bottom line: It's a cool country, that's not interested in showing you how cool it can be, until you're actually inside it, and bother to integrate yourself into the culture, regardless of time spent.

by Anonymousreply 86Last Friday at 7:37 PM

and sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Friday at 7:40 PM

but yeah, even better size meat in Holland :)

by Anonymousreply 88Last Friday at 7:41 PM

Oh and juicy size butt

by Anonymousreply 89Last Friday at 7:46 PM

German women are the coldest and unfriendliest in the world. Avoid them and stick with the men.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Friday at 7:46 PM

Oh nonsense!

by Anonymousreply 91Last Friday at 7:50 PM

My maternal grandpa Otto was a German immigrant. My paternal grandma Augusta was 100% German as well. Both were born in the 1880s, and I'm only 55. Isn't that amazing, their birth being so long ago, I mean? I think there was a lot of poverty in Germany, back in the olden days, hence the immigration.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Friday at 7:59 PM

R92,

there was a huge Prussian exodus out of Germany at that time--your ancestors were Prussian, instead of German, and were the descendants of the Teutonic Knights.

Were they tall?

by Anonymousreply 93Last Friday at 8:09 PM

R93: tall? I don't know. We are all tall, so it would make sense that they were.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Friday at 8:12 PM

If you are tall, handsome and a blue-eyed fair-skinned type you are of Prussian descent, which yes, was technically became Germany.

The mass exodus of Prussians to the U.S, occurred from 1860-1920. And I mean it was a large number of people. Many came because they were persecuted and basically enslaved by the new Germans.

Many Germans are short, stocky, and dark-skinned.

These are not your people.

by Anonymousreply 95Last Friday at 8:18 PM

Defending Pacelli, Wojtyla, and Ratzinger is a non-starter around here. We all know they have tainted pasts.

by Anonymousreply 96Last Friday at 8:19 PM

Many Germans are short, round, and fat.

These are not your people.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Friday at 8:20 PM

We are tall & attractive, IMHO. I have blond siblings, though I am not I think we are medium skinned. Grandpa Otto was indeed from Wittenberg, Prussia! Grandma Gussie was from Speyer, near the French border, so I'm a German mutt. The other half is quarter Itakian, and one quarter American-English.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Friday at 8:39 PM

Itakian from Itakia! Rare!

by Anonymousreply 99Last Friday at 8:43 PM

Don't be mean, R99. the new DL format doesn't allow for enlarging the screen.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Friday at 8:52 PM

R98, you have Knights Templar ancestry. Be proud of that. These decendants of the Knights Templars and Knights Hospitaliers arrived in America by the hundreds in the 1800's. They were great talents--craftsmens, architects, adventurers--I could tell a few stories about what I know about their arrival in America that is quite interesting.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Friday at 9:34 PM

Italy isn't a really gay frienldy place but I love visiting there. What does that have to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 102Last Friday at 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.