Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

U.K.: Laws Introduced to Accommodate a Gay King or Queen

As Prince William and Princess Kate endure the final throes of pregnancy, Parliament is working on legislation to ensure that their first-born child will be able to rule, no matter their sexual orientation.

Parliament will pass legislation to allow the royal couple's child to rule the United Kingdom whether the child is male or female. Labor MP Paul Flynn has an amendment to support an openly gay king or queen.

The law would determine the heir of the gay king or queen and their spouse or civil partner, as long as they were born through artificial insemination or surrogacy, according to Pink News. An adopted child would not legally be able to inherit the throne, now would they join the line of succession, under current law. Furthermore, the king or queen's same-sex partner would be recognized as king consort or queen consort.

House of Commons speaker John Bercow is expected to accept the amendment, bringing it into debate.

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

how remarkably 14th century

by Anonymousreply 101/22/2013

[quote] Furthermore, the king or queen's same-sex partner would be recognized as king consort or queen consort.

Would a gay male monarch have a queen consort and a lesbian queen a king consort?

by Anonymousreply 201/22/2013

I would argue the opposite: It shows they are keeping up with the times.

by Anonymousreply 401/22/2013

They do this NOW? They could have saved me a lot of grief

by Anonymousreply 501/22/2013

What a weird thing to do. There is nothing in law to stop there being a gay king or queen now.

by Anonymousreply 701/22/2013

Is the same sex spouse of a Lord a Lady?

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2013

I would love to see a big butch dyke as Queen of England.

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2013

[quote]There is nothing in law to stop there being a gay king or queen now.

No, but this way they could be out and have someone of the same sex as their consort.

The heir would be the child of the queen via artificial insemination or king via surrogacy (and insemination presumably). It is confusing the way it is written.

by Anonymousreply 1001/22/2013

R4, I am verklempt. I never thought I'd live this long.

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2013

[quote]I would love to see a big butch dyke as Queen of England.

*ahem*

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2013

King Eddie the Floppy

Queen Ken of Flanneldom

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2013

So, still the pressure to breed

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

What are these new laws implying?

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.