Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I want to move to Norway

I have some website developments skills and I can pick up the language, but not much money.

How do I make this happen?

by Anonymousreply 3901/27/2013

You do realize it's colder than shit there right?

by Anonymousreply 101/22/2013

Norway is very nice, and very sun deprived.

by Anonymousreply 201/22/2013

Best to marry a local and become Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 301/22/2013

It's stupendously expensive. It's also more conservative than you may suspect at first.

by Anonymousreply 401/22/2013

[quote]You do realize it's colder than shit there right?

Not when you're standing near burning cheese.

Some 27 metric tons of flaming brown cheese (brunost), a Norwegian delicacy, blocked off a three-km (1.9 mile) tunnel near the northern coastal town of Narvik when it caught fire last Thursday. The fire was finally put out on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 501/22/2013

Norway is very wealthy due to state-owned oil reserves. They are not welcoming to deadbeats likely to be on welfare.

by Anonymousreply 601/22/2013

Norweggers use 3 to 4 more times electricity that the average European.

A little fun fact for you.

Move to Flam for the gorgeous fjord.

by Anonymousreply 701/22/2013

Be a Muslim

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2013

Is there a Fjord in your future?

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2013

First of all, you don't move to a foreign country without some sort of foreseable living plan including a solid plan for employment. Read any of the information coming from the US embassy for any country. You are highly advised not to just show up in a foreign country thinking that you'll find work--no matter how menial. Jobs, no matter how lowly, are usually not available to foreigners--and you would be a foreigner in a foreign country. Being an American doesn't count for much when you're away from home.

Yes, you must learn the language, but even that does not guarantee you a living. And you cannot stay indefinitely without fulfilling all the legal residency requirements.

You could starve in the streets and not even be eligible to wash dishes in a hotel.

All this does not mean that you cannot go, but it does mean that you cannot go without a plan and a good deal of money to sustain yourself for a considerable period of time.

If you want a taste of Norway, go there for a vacation and see what it's like. And go there in the dead of winter too. I went to Sweden for the Xmas holidays one year. It's bleak and gray. Stockholm is a great city, but rather challenging to your psyche in the winter.

If you think you're adaptable to living elsewhere, give it a try for a month. See what you think. And have a lot of savings because you will need it. Living in a foreign country is a challenge. It's adventuresome, but a big challenge if not impossible.

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2013

Now way-hay-hay-hayte a minute!

The USA has taken in thousands and thousands of Norgies over the decades -- I think they could at least allow OP in iffin he wants to immigrate there.

Turn about is fair play and all.

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2013

[quote]How do I make this happen?

I predict an aircraft will be involved.

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2013

Why do they bring Muslims in to work there when there is recession and lots of Europeans and Americans want to work there?

by Anonymousreply 1401/22/2013

See my movie.

by Anonymousreply 1501/22/2013

I wanna be a lifeguard

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

Aren't there lots of Catholics there?

by Anonymousreply 1701/25/2013

I read there are a lot of Africans and Arabs in Norway now. Lots of Asians, too. Norway's immigration policy is very relaxed. A bit like Canada used to be.

by Anonymousreply 1801/25/2013

Visa OP? Are you even allowed to live there?

by Anonymousreply 1901/25/2013

Why Norway? Denmark and Sweden are much nicer if you like Scandinavia.

by Anonymousreply 2001/25/2013

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 2101/25/2013

OP, you're only going to be able to legally immigrate to Norway if you possess a trade skill that they need, otherwise they won't be interested. It's also a very expensive country, think NYC level cost of living. Europe is very anti-immigrant right now, but you could always go over there for a month and just hope someone proposes to you, marriage is always a way in.

by Anonymousreply 2201/25/2013

Wouldn't you at least have to contact the Norwegian embassy or a consulate to see about some sort of visa? You must be younger OP, I sort of wanted to move to Australia or South Africa when I was in my 20s in the 70s, but nothing serious came of it and glad of it considering that South Africa went through alot of upheaval in finally getting rid of apartheid. I also found out more about Australia and Australians and am glad I didn't make that move either. I think life in the US has in some ways improved in the last 40 odd years if you are gay which was one of the reasons I wanted to leave, finding a decent job back then was another--little did I know that both places, especially South Africa at that time, were very homophobic, moreso than the US and this country was bad enough but I have to admit it seems to be getting better plus I am older and have done most of the work in the labor force that I am going to do.

by Anonymousreply 2301/25/2013

Great, you can be a victim of a massacre, OP. Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 2401/25/2013

[quote]OP, you're only going to be able to legally immigrate to Norway if you possess a trade skill that they need

Like sharpshooting?

What's with all the Muslims? What do they do?

by Anonymousreply 2501/25/2013

R25, I have noticed a number of websites that claim the Muslims are responsible for a huge jump in the number of rapes all across Scandinavia. I don't know how true this actually is, but I agree, I'm puzzled as to why countries like Norway or Sweden are so eager to encourage Muslims to go there. If it is so easy for them, what about other people? I also am curious about why these European countries don't try and recruit more among Americans, in the case of Norway, specifically Norwegian-Americans. I'm sure there must be some willing to go back to their ancestral homeland and there would be less culture shock for both the "immigrant" and the "host" nation compared to that which there must be in hauling in Muslims who probably scarcely heard of the Norwegian language let alone speak it.

by Anonymousreply 2601/25/2013

R25, from what I understand, the Scandinavian nations, especially Sweden, have extremely generous policies for granting asylum to people who claim to flee persecution. Sweden and Norway have large populations of Iraqi, Iranian, Syrian, Afghani, Somali and Pakistani people, all of whom can claim that they face violence or political persecution in their homelands. Some of these claims are legitimate, some are not, but if allows them to stay in the country and receive government benefits.

by Anonymousreply 2701/25/2013

[quote]I read there are a lot of Africans and Arabs in Norway now. Lots of Asians, too.

Just no white Americans.. Fucking ridiculous.

[quote]Europe is very anti-immigrant right now

by Anonymousreply 2801/25/2013

[quote][R25], from what I understand, the Scandinavian nations, especially Sweden, have extremely generous policies for granting asylum to people who claim to flee persecution.

by Anonymousreply 2901/25/2013

OP, are you Canadian? If so, you are eligible to live and work in some countries due to reciprocal agreements (see link below). You have to be between 18-30, or in some cases 35 to be eligible.

But then, you sound like you are American. Well, too bad.

by Anonymousreply 3001/27/2013

I admire the scandinavians for their high-minded progressiveness. But in terms of refugee/immigration they are doubtless being swindled. It's time for Europe, N America, Australia, etc. to rethink these policies.

It's easy for other countries to claim racism cuz nobody really wants to move to those shitholes.

by Anonymousreply 3101/27/2013

Also, would a North American or a Western European immigrant want to do jobs most immigrants from Moslem countries or Eastern Europe do? It's not like they are taking away all those jobs in the technology sector and advertising agencies.

by Anonymousreply 3301/27/2013

I'm Norwegian. Ask me anything.. I can reply.

But so far I will have to agree with R4. He was spot on. Norway is really, really expensive. Everything is expensive.. food, gas, electricity. Then again, we do have really high salaries. Minimum wage here is around 20-25 $ an hour, even though we don't really have minimum wage, lol. I wouldn't recommend Norway if you're used to take out or going out to eat. We don't do that here, it's too expensive.

Norway is also very conservative. We have a bible belt (southern and western Norway), the fjords are in the bible belt. Most people there are Christian and conservative, and you may encounter quite a few homophobes. Norway in general has turned right the last few years, most people now vote for The Conservative Party (pro gay marriage) and the ultra right Progress Party (Christian party, against gay marriage). Many Norwegians are homophobic and racist. Believe it or not, but many Norwegians share the views of ABB. Norway also has a non existent gay scene. Oslo is our biggest city, but only has four gay bars. There's one gay bar in Stavanger, one in Bergen and one in Trondheim. That's all that exists in all of Norway. It's not as bad as it sounds though. I mean.. sure, you find homophobes in Norway, probably more than in Sweden or Denmark, and yes, Norway is in general more conservative and Christian than our neighbors, but it's not like Norway is eastern Europe, no.. the majority accepts LGBT people, and we do have gay marriage. So it's not too bad.

We do have high salaries, low unemployment rate, good public services etc. But we also pay a lot in taxes.

Anything else you wonder about, just ask. I tried to be as honest and objective as possible.

by Anonymousreply 3401/27/2013

r34 your English is flawless. Do they teach that in school from a young age or did you learn it in university or even on your own?

by Anonymousreply 3501/27/2013

The troll's not wanted anywhere.

But I pretty sure he knows that.

by Anonymousreply 3601/27/2013

Most countries, certainly Scandinavian countries, beginning teaching English in school at about 9 years old.

by Anonymousreply 3701/27/2013

Norway also declined to join the European Union, so people from other European countries cannot simply move there, the way they can move between EU countries.

by Anonymousreply 3801/27/2013

I was once googling information about the Tarim mummies and found an article about them that was quite interesting. I did not realize that the reason the site posted this true and interesting article was because it buoyed up the claims of white supremacists that the white race was on earth first and is being diluted by "mutt" blood. The site turned out to be Stormfront.

I was shocked at how many Norwegians and Danish people posted there. I expect the US and Eastern European countries to go along with that skinhead crap. I didn't expect so many from Nordic countries. And I wasn't shocked to see Dutch posts, because after all, they invented the word apartheid (though they didn't invent the system. We did it for years in the US and called it Jim Crow).

I know there are skinhead movements growing in the Ukraine and other former soviet areas. Ukraine seems to have a lot of white supremacists.

by Anonymousreply 3901/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!