Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Books That You Know Are Bad & You Love

I know The Rules of Attraction is not literature at all, but I absolutely adore that book. I still find it very moving and I love the story. I'm thinking of reading it another time. What are your favorite trashy reads?

by Anonymousreply 5507/19/2013

That book that Christopher Ciccone wrote about Madge. Pure trash but I couldn't put it down.

by Anonymousreply 101/22/2013

"Looking for Mr. Goodbar" and "August" - Judith Rossner

by Anonymousreply 201/22/2013

"The Two Mrs. Grenvilles" by Dominick Dunne. I've read it countless times.

by Anonymousreply 301/22/2013

Rules of Attraction is also my favorite trashy book.

by Anonymousreply 401/22/2013

The Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes

The stories lost their way in the late 90s and she knew it. The recurring characters were stronger than the plot.

Hope Diamond Refuses by Iris Owens

It's Edina Monsoon after she has learned to type. It was my first peek at quality rugs. True!

by Anonymousreply 501/22/2013

Fuck you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 601/22/2013

The Love Machine and The Other Boleyn Girl.

by Anonymousreply 701/22/2013

Everything by Judith Krantz.

I win.

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2013

"Twins" by Barri Wood and Jack Geasland

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2013

Some of the earlier Jackie Collins novels: Hollywood Wives and Lucky are pure, hilarious trash.

by Anonymousreply 1001/22/2013

But Krantz's books aren't bad, Della, although she did have a tendency to recycle plots. There was a lot of wit there.

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2013

Me too R3. Love all of Dunne's books. Also I would add Valley of the Dolls and Once is Not Enough.

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2013

We'll agree to disagree on finding "wit" in Krantz's works.

I do love her ability to create fun decriptions of the wealthy characters and exclusive locales that make up her all of her plots, but she's a bad writer; truly the queen of pulp schlock.

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2013

oop, previous post was meant for r12.

by Anonymousreply 1401/22/2013

My Pet Goat

by Anonymousreply 1501/22/2013

R9, I loved, loved, loved that book. I think I must read it again.

R2, I liked "August," in particular.

The Godfather is one of my favorite "bad" books that I really loved. And some of Howard Fast's multigenerational family sagas. Not literature, but good storytelling. And the Southern version of that, some of Anne Rivers Siddons' novels.

by Anonymousreply 1601/22/2013

Is that version of TWINS different from this one, R16 and R9?

by Anonymousreply 1701/22/2013

I read a fascinating, sick, nasty, sometimes very incisive book called 'Apocalypse Culture' one, many years ago. Some of it sickened me, but I was glad I read it as it toughened me up to some nasty shit that goes on. I found most of it repulsive though.

by Anonymousreply 1801/22/2013

I've never read any of Jackie Collins' novels. Where would be a good place to start? Are they quick reads?

by Anonymousreply 1901/22/2013

R19, start with HOLLYWOOD WIVES. It's the first in a series.

I like Judith Krantz more. SCRUPLES or PRINCESS DAISY is where to start with her.

by Anonymousreply 2001/22/2013

Anything by Sidney Sheldon. The Other Side of Midnight would be my favorite. The Naked Face, Stranger in the Mirror, Rage of Angels...They're all pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 2101/22/2013

Add another Bret Easton Ellis book to the list: "Story of My Life." I read it when it first came out and I've hauled it out of the closet since it was revealed that it's his retelling of his time spent with Rielle Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 2201/22/2013

Naked Came the Stranger

by Anonymousreply 2301/22/2013

That's the one R17.

by Anonymousreply 2401/22/2013

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and sequels are decently plotted but not well-written but I devoured them all and saw all the movie versions as well. I'm quite a snob so for me this was very daring!

by Anonymousreply 2501/23/2013

ALL of the silly whitewashed/rich urban yuppie GWM only Tales of the City novels.

by Anonymousreply 2606/29/2013

Story of my life, and pretty much all of Bret Easton Ellis' books/stories.

by Anonymousreply 2707/13/2013

R1, Yes yes yes! That book by Madonna's brother was garbage, but it was impossibly to put down.

R19, Start with Hollywood Wives, then read Hollywood Husbands. Perfect beach reading.

by Anonymousreply 2807/16/2013

[quote]Add another Bret Easton Ellis book to the list: "Story of My Life." I read it when it first came out and I've hauled it out of the closet since it was revealed that it's his retelling of his time spent with Rielle Hunter.

It's actually by Jay McInerney, the similarly awful friend of Bret Easton Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 2907/16/2013

Savages - Shirley Conran

Four billionaire's wives are marooned on a cannibal island after their husbands are killed for mining rights. It is great, has a lesbian relationship in it as well.

by Anonymousreply 3007/16/2013

Does anyone know if any of Jackie Collins trashy novels were at all true? Or did she totally make up her characters? Her latest output was very entertaining, when I was under the weather. How come she slowed down her output?

by Anonymousreply 3107/16/2013

The Dollaganger Series by V.C Andrews. Found those books as an 11-year old and I had no buisness reading them at that age. They fucked me up real good but ten years later they are still my favrorite summer guilty pleasure. Just wen't by the library this week to pick up one of Andrews books.

Those books pretty much fixed my preference in men forever and since reading I always swoon ove blonde, blue-eyed, tall men with jaws that could cut stone. A surprisingly rare sight considering I live in Scandinavia.

I also love everything by Anne Rice. I read her books during my first year of teenhood, just before twilight craze and I remember being so mad after reading the twilight and seeing all the undeserved attention and love it received from all of my peers. I would rather have seen movies and remakes of Anne Rice's books.

by Anonymousreply 3207/16/2013

I have read Rules of Attraction more times than I can remember. Once was enough for the other BEE books, but I read that one every other year or so.

TWINS by Bari Wood!!! OMG, I hadn't thought of that one in years. Good stuff.

Some other good trashy books I read in high school I'd like to read again:

California Generation by Jacqueline Briskin. Huge and sweeping with a lot of sex, straight and gay. Always thought it would make a good miniseries.

The Boys in the Mailroom by Iris Rainier Dart. Another Jackie Collins-ish novel; with some of the first gay sex scenes I'd ever read. I was always trying to find books with something gay!

The Catch Trap by Marion Zimmerman Bradley was my favorite, though. It's a BIG book, but worth it for the hot sex and romance between two trapeze artists.

My ultimate trashy book is Panthers in the Skins of Men by Charles Nelson. Bought it used in college. Totally crazy book, but some really funny lines and some REALLY hot sex scenes.

by Anonymousreply 3307/16/2013

Enid Blyton's books.. or people are just huge snobs about her books? I don't know. I just know that I loved them.

by Anonymousreply 3407/16/2013

Hmmm, no "bad book" readers, huh? I was hoping for some suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 3507/18/2013

City of Quartz by Mike Davis

by Anonymousreply 3607/18/2013

[quote]I know The Rules of Attraction is not literature at all

What does that mean? Are there things that are somewhat literature? Half? A third?

Literature is writing. Period. Don't be a dolt.

by Anonymousreply 3707/18/2013

Another vote for "The Other Side of Midnight."

by Anonymousreply 3807/18/2013

I don't get the love for Hollywood Wives; the best Jackie Collins trash is Chances, the first Lucky Santangelo book.

by Anonymousreply 3907/18/2013

As far as (putative) non-fiction, there are some biographies and autobiographies I can't get enough of:

"Lovely Me" (Barbara Seaman's bio of Jackie Susann)

"Kilgallen" (Lee Israel's bio of Dorothy Kilgallen)

"The Big Love" (Florence Aadland's bio of her daughter Beverly Aadland and Errol Flynn)

"And I Don't Want to Live This Life" (Nancy Spungen, by her mother)

"I Am Not Ashamed" (Barbara Payton)

"Playing the Field" (Mamie Van Doren)

"My Face For the World to See" and "My First 2,000 Men" (Liz Renay)

It's like a whole shelf of late-20th-century trash bios.

by Anonymousreply 4007/18/2013

The Other Guy - Cary Attwell

Renovation Fuckers - Dallas Sketchman

The Current Between Us - Kindle Alexander

by Anonymousreply 4107/18/2013

Flowers in the Attic

by Anonymousreply 4207/18/2013

The Preppy Handbook

by Anonymousreply 4307/18/2013

Say what you will about Eddie Fisher, but his bio "Been There, Done That" is riveting, page-turning trash.

I don't even care that half of it he probably pulled out of his ass.

by Anonymousreply 4407/18/2013

Very revealing thread.

Now I understand why you all are so stupid and hate women so much.

by Anonymousreply 4507/18/2013

The Da Vinci Code. I resisted for about 2 years and then I gave in and read it. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 4607/18/2013

Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Monica's Story, Elvis & Me, all of Jackie Susann's ouevre and anything VC Andrews wrote herself (not the ghostwritten stuff).

by Anonymousreply 4707/18/2013

"Peyton Place" Is still readable and fun.

"Return to Peyton Place" (published 3 years later) is fascinating, because Grace Metalious had to churn it out quickly and fit it in to her new schedule of boozing and running around New York being a celebrity. It reads like something dictated and unedited.

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2013

48 replies and no mention of Danielle Steele?

I thought "the Ring" was pretty good in 7th grade .

I second All the Sidney Sheldon books except his last 3 or so, Stranger in the Mirror and Rage of Angels are brilliant .

Ditto Jackie Collins ( I enjoyed Rock Star and Hollywood Wives the most.)

A good trashy, long read is Trading Up by Candace Bushnell.

Dominick Dunnes best 2 are: An Inconvenient Woman (based on Alfred and Betsy Bloomingdale) and A season in purgatory (about the Kennedy's specifically the Martha Moxley murder) his non-fiction true crime are gripping, maybe more than his fiction .

For the poster who liked VC Andrews, I enjoyed that series as well as the "Heaven and Dark Angel" ones. That person could tell a tale!

Sweet savage love by Rosemary Rogers and The Happy Hooker by Xaviara Hollandar were fab fab fab (read when I was 11 )

Wifey by Judy Blume

Valley of the Dolls is probably the best over all.

So many more but can't think of them ....

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2013

I read it last year for the first time and thought it was a fun read . . .

Valley of the Dolls

Before the year ends, I'll take a stab at The Love Machine and hope it's at least half as enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2013

The Harrad Experiment, follow up with the film with Don Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 5107/18/2013

The Thorn Birds

by Anonymousreply 5207/18/2013

Behind The Candelabra

by Anonymousreply 5307/19/2013

Anything by Dominick Dunne

by Anonymousreply 5407/19/2013

Rules of Attraction isn't trash. Ellis' first five are good.

by Anonymousreply 5507/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!