Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Could someone explain the appeal of Stevie Wonder? I have never understood his appeal.

He lost his voice 20 or 25 years ago and sounds god awful.

He sings the same 4 or 5 songs over and over and over - like a hack.

His voice was never very good in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 7101/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 101/22/2013

I'm no expert on his music, but he did record a lot of good stuff in the 70s. Then it took him 3 years to put out 1979's "Secret Life Of Plants" which was the beginning of his decline. It's a double-album soundtrack to a little seen documentary, way too long and weird. It looked like he'd lost his marbles, so he bounced back with the straightforward pop album Hotter Than July, but it was all downhill into adult-contemporary swill after that.

by Anonymousreply 201/22/2013

The crowd at the Inaugural Ball wasn't responding to him AT ALL. Alicia Keyes also got a subdued reception. I don't know how the crowd reacted to Jamie Fox. I turned down the sound the minute he started to warble. It was a pretty lame line up for entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 301/22/2013

R2 has it right...but he seems to have forgotten the '60s. He did some great stuff in the '60s too.

[quote]His voice was never very good in the first place.

I don't agree.

Most pop stars of the 60s & 70s (see all) sound like shit today, but there still seem to be an audience for them, so they keep going and love the applause.

by Anonymousreply 401/22/2013

He had some great songs in the 60's and 70's, but for whatever reason, some people find him annoying. I can never find him annoying because of "Innervisions", "Fulfillingness First Finale" and "Songs In The Key Of Life", all amazing, classic albums.

by Anonymousreply 501/22/2013

It was all downhill after "Fingertips"

by Anonymousreply 601/22/2013

The only thing I find annoying about Stevie Wonder is pedestrian lyrical sensibilities. His chord changes and general musical accomplishments are stellar, but his lyrics are pretty much ridiculous. "Oh so long for this night I prayed That a star would guide you my way To share with me this special day Where a ribbon's in the sky for our love"

by Anonymousreply 701/22/2013

Find some quiet time and listen to the songs: As Do I Do Hey Love All I Do Sir Duke My Cherie Amour Superwoman Jammin (Master Blaster) Living for the City Isn't She Lovely..... I could go on and on and on. Just try it.

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2013

Creepin', Golden Lady, Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing, As, Send One Your Love, Until You Come Back To Me (I love his even more than Aretha's great version), You Haven't Done Nothin', Higher Ground -- he is great.

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2013

His early 70s albums are all excellent. As others have said, it all went downhill by the end of the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2013

In 2008, the Obama campaign used "Isn't She Lovely" for Michelle at campaign stops and also at the DNC.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2013

Careful! I hear he trolls the Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2013

He was magnificent, OP.

He's just stayed too long at the fair, and his voice is shot.

Also, he hasn't had an interesting new release in 30 years ("Hotter Than July" was the last one).

People still love him, though. It's nostalgia.

And you know...if we wanted to dig down and be truthful, all the same things (shot voice, new material not what the old stuff was) could be said about Stevie Nicks.

by Anonymousreply 1301/23/2013

'My Cherie Amour' is a pretty cheesy song, but Stevie sounds so lovely in it. He's lost that softer element to his voice, but his keyboard playing live is still terrific.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

To deny his genius is ludicrous.

To criticize his declining powers is trivial.

To attend his performances is optional.

To troll post on DL about a man who has contributed so much to the cultural richness of this planet is just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

"Lovely as a summer day, distant as the Milky Way".

I always loved that line - anyone who's ever been in love with someone unattainable can probably relate.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

"I Just Called to Say I Love You" was really insipid and cheesetastic in that 80's MOR pop way. Ditto for the cringeworthy Ebony and Ivory-- co-penned by the equally cheesetastic in the 80's Paul McCartney.

But like McCartney, his early work trumps all the mistakes that came after.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

R17's right about the horrible 80s work, but I feel like the kid in red at 0:40 when I hear this song.

Not many people can play live on Sesame Street and still be cool.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

Talk about pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

R15, I love you!

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

His appeal? He's a very talented songwriter and singer; that's his appeal. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2013

Yeah -- lyrics were never his strong point

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013

Little Stevie Wonder in "Muscle Beach Party" 1964

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2013

He had tremendous help in the '60s from the Motown teams.

He was dragged kicking and screaming in the '70s by producers to funkify his classic albums of the time.

Since the 80s, he's created music his way and the results have shown that.

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2013

I F&Fed the OP because he's a flaming freak.

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2013

R15 so right.

One of least of his songs is a favorite of mine. Perhaps sentimental, romantic. But this is what falling in love feels like for me. All that hope.

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2013

Ooh, don't get me started on Stevie. I ain't nevah gon' forgive him. He promised me his song "Until You Come Back To Me" and I even did a few trial demos for him. The next thing I know, he's gone and given the song to that bitch Hateretha. I just know that Ree Ree probably fucked him for that song. Retha has always been a tramp who's constantly in need of peen. Of course Miss Diane Ross is the queen of FFT but 'Retha Louise ain't too far behind, gurl.

Shit, Stevie. I can't believe that you let me down just for a cheap, nasty ass fuck with Hateretha.

by Anonymousreply 2801/24/2013

r15 exactly looks like the bridge is cleared for skipping

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2013

stevie is just plain-ol-fun guys. when he gets 'happy' there's nothing like it. forget his current vocals, his emotive quality is off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2013

[quote]He sings the same 4 or 5 songs over and over and over

It works for me.

Feliz Navidad!

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2013

[quote] He was dragged kicking and screaming in the '70s by producers to funkify his classic albums of the time.

He and Marvin Gaye both fought for control of their work. "Music of My Mind" was Stevie's first album he did that was more self-directed.

Then Innervisions - widely considered one of his best albums, if not his masterpiece - followed. The 70s albums were all Stevie's mark.

by Anonymousreply 3201/24/2013

He peaked in the 80s, but in his day he was very attractive (he was quite muscular and sexy in the 80s) and he had that beautiful bright voice that was so lovely from when he was young until he was in middle age. And he's a wonderful composer of pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 3301/24/2013

This song is said to have been a charting single when I would have been a senior in high school (1986), but I had absolutely no knowledge of it until people started using it for American Idol auditions. It's lovely.

It was written for an album in the 70s but not used until years later, which is why it sounds so much better than anything else he created in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 3401/24/2013

Yep his voice might not be what it was but there is no denying the legend that he is.

He has also penned some huge hits for other singers, Tell Me Something Good (Rufus & Chaka Khan), Until You Come Back to Me (Aretha)

My favorite from Stevie

by Anonymousreply 3501/24/2013

He's a good guy. I love him telling Piers Morgan that US gun laws are so lax even he (blind Stevie) could go out and buy a gun.

by Anonymousreply 3601/24/2013

Ugh...the ignorance and bad taste...

Stevie Wonder was one of the greatest pop song writers ever. He wrote songs that became Standards. Songs that were sung by everyone from Sinatra and Aretha...on down.

Stop what ever you are doing, and watch the video linked below.

It's Aretha Franklin and Wonder having a ball with his CLASSIC "Til You Come Back to Me".

Franklin released this in 1974. The performance below is 2005. Not ancient history. And they're both in great form.

Everything today is SHIT compared to this:

by Anonymousreply 3701/24/2013

"Looking at your hands, hands can understand". Strange and mysterious lyric - Golden Lady is one of his best songs.

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2013

Creepin' - another great one.

by Anonymousreply 3901/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2013

I don't see it either, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4101/24/2013

The only song of his I ever liked was "Part Time Lover". Other than that, I've never cared about him.

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2013

he's a blind man that sings and plays piano. most of you cant even scratch your ass and tap your foot with 20/20 vision. of course you dont get it.

by Anonymousreply 4301/24/2013

R25= woefully ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 4401/24/2013

I hated his 60s and 70s work and I did not appreciate him until he did I Just Called To Say I Love You, That Girl, and his duet with McCartney (Ebony & Ivory).

by Anonymousreply 4501/24/2013

"Can I play?!"

by Anonymousreply 4601/24/2013

This thread is sooo gay.

by Anonymousreply 4701/24/2013

Also: I don't get this business about Wonder losing it after the 1980s.

So? Does it negate his greatness?

And Irving Berlin... Harold Arlen... Richard Rogers... etc? They all had their time and then years of nothing important.

Paul McCartney? Bob Dylan? They haven't done anything good in decades. Are you really expecting them to? Does that make "Yesterday" and""Like a Rolling Stone" any less great?

by Anonymousreply 4801/24/2013

I Miss Those Days is my favorite.

It captures to joys of being a kid in a way that makes you want to go back for a day. Brilliant lyrics. Great funky sound.

Here's a lyric video. I dare you to not have a sentimental longing for the mischief and simple joys of youth.

by Anonymousreply 4901/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 5001/24/2013

R49, the song is actually called "I Wish".

by Anonymousreply 5101/24/2013

He a legend, yo.

by Anonymousreply 5201/24/2013

r49. D'oh! I saw that and forgot to change my post. Thanks for the correction.

by Anonymousreply 5301/24/2013

OP has the musical taste of a 12-year-old girl.

by Anonymousreply 5401/24/2013

[quote] Also: I don't get this business about Wonder losing it after the 1980s. So? Does it negate his greatness?

Not at all. Very few artists can deliver a masterwork every time.

In our age the thing about a lot of artists (McCartney, Dylan, Joni Mitchell included) is that once you become rich and have a relatively settled life, the things you wrote about before aren't issues any more.

And let's face it, the songs these folks wrote about really important issues in the world, or intense turmoil in their lives, are far more interesting than either (a) happy songs or (b) the maid didn't clean the oven completely songs.

by Anonymousreply 5501/24/2013

R49/R53, you're welcome. Great song choice!

by Anonymousreply 5601/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 5701/24/2013

I love Stevie. He's got soul and can jam on the harmonica.

He was the best part of this song by Jermaine Jackson... his voice is very distinct.

by Anonymousreply 5801/24/2013

If you can't get your pimp walk down with "Superstition", you ain't got no soul!

by Anonymousreply 5901/24/2013

The there's Sir Duke...

by Anonymousreply 6001/24/2013

Never seen that before, R37, but I love it.

by Anonymousreply 6101/25/2013

[quote]I hated his 60s and 70s work and I did not appreciate him until he did I Just Called To Say I Love You, That Girl, and his duet with McCartney (Ebony & Ivory).

Oh, dear...gays have AWFUL taste in music.

Music threads on DL are depressing to read.

by Anonymousreply 6201/25/2013

I recall an article in the LA Times back in the 80s that wondered if black artists get a pass no matter how treacly their songs.

That if a white guy got so sugary, critics would nail him to a post.

by Anonymousreply 6401/25/2013

Could someone explain the appeal of being an asshole? I have never understood the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 6501/25/2013

I like Stevie's original version of Until You Come Back To Me, it's a little more melancholy than Aretha's.

by Anonymousreply 6601/25/2013

[quote] black artists get a pass no matter how treacly their songs.

Sounds like bullshit. Stevie has gotten tons of criticism for some of his sappier songs.

by Anonymousreply 6701/25/2013

Stevie Wonder is before my generation, but I was exposed to "I Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer" while watching Janet Jackson IN Poetic Justice as a babygay (I know, I know) and I still think it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

If I was given the gift of song, and I most certainly was not, I'd sing that song all the time.

by Anonymousreply 6801/25/2013

Prior to his sappy 80s period he was the greatest musical genius of the 20th century. Don't flame on me, people. That's just MY opinion. I have been a Stevie fan since 1970.

by Anonymousreply 6901/25/2013

Although I can listen to some of his stuff, usually earlier stuff, with indifference, there are other songs of his that I cannot stand at all--too sappy, maudlin and saccharine. So overall I'd say OP has a good enough question although there are worse singers and songwriters.

by Anonymousreply 7001/25/2013

OP, you're a maroon.

Also, tone deaf.

by Anonymousreply 7101/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!