Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you offended by the Eric Stonestreet character on Modern Family?

(prompted by the Bret Easton Ellis thread where he says:

Not in the context of what gay means in this culture, where Eric Stonestreet can win an Emmy for playing the most stereotypical queen on TV … and gay people can’t make gay jokes and have to like Modern Family.”)

I watched the first season of Modern Family and he didn't really bother me. I think the fact that he wins Emmys gets under my skin a little though....like the straight people are awarding the silly straight guy playing nelly while overlooking the actual gay one.

by Anonymousreply 12605/10/2014

Agreed. He doesn't bother me so much on the show (it's a silly show), but it's gross that he gets awards because people think it's such a challenge for a "straight" dude to swish it up. (I put quotes on straight since ES is a 41 year old confirmed bachelor.) And obviously, there's the perception that Jesse Tyler Ferguson isn't acting at all because he really is gay. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

Love him. He's funny.

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

Theres no way he's straight.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

His character is definitely the least interesting of the main characters - and the kids. His character hardly seems able to take care of himself, never mind a kid.

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

Sorry, but he cracks my shit up. Fess up, he's a cartoon, but everyone of us knows a queen like that.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

WHAT is Brett's problem with "Modern Family"?

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2013

Every character on Modern Family is a cartoon. That's what makes the show funny. Don't take it personally, op.

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2013

I like Cam just fine. It's Mitchell who ruins the show. And Jay. I don't watch it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1001/22/2013

I don't mind him, but the little girl playing his daughter has got to go.

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2013

What is with that kid R11? I've only started watching (and even then, it has been sporadic) this year.

Is that fact that she is an unquestionably homely child, a very poor actress and seems touched in the head -- part of the plot?

I go both ways (if you'll excuse the expression), we do all know guys like Cam (and he can be very funny) but I agree with the premise that he seems to be "rewarded" for overcoming the difficulty of a straight actor playing a big fairy.

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2013

It's there anything that guy likes?

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2013

I think Ty Burrell is really hot and the best actor in the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 1401/22/2013

Doesn't bother me, and I think he's really funny. I know queens just like that. Why wouldn't they be represented on TV?

by Anonymousreply 1501/22/2013

The way I took BEE's quote was that he doesn't like it that Stonestreet gets awarded for playing the gay character, not the character itself. And Stonestreet has two Emmys, and Jesse has none, probably because people assume he is playing himself.

BEE's thoughts on gay representation are not always articulate or PC but they are interesting. (For example, he hates Andrew Rannells' gay character on The New Normal and loves his gay character on Girls.). He also started using the term "the Gay Middlebrow" to describe what he didn't like about gay representation which I thought was appropriate. Hollywood makes gayness into a joke to entertain a straight audience, and at the same time gay people are expected to like this kind if representation because it's the only one offered.

by Anonymousreply 1601/22/2013

I didn't mind Cam in the first season, but he's gotten increasingly prissy since then and it's not really funny anymore - just tired and forced. His character's pathological neediness is also much more annoying.

I only watch MODERN FAMILY for Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen and their kids, who are all genuinely and consistently funny. Ed and Sofia are barely tolerable at this point.

And Ferguson is pretty much playing himself, though I find him more entertaining than Stonestreet.

by Anonymousreply 1701/22/2013

My partner and I watch the show because of the writing, plots and most of the characterizations, but every episode is punctuated by our saying, in unison, "I hate him," at least 15 times and episode. Actually, we say it for every line this inauthentic, insulting, poorly-drawn asshole speaks.

And once we quit watching the show for a few episodes because we can't stand him. Him and his two homophobic Emmys. But Ed Neill they all loathe.

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 1801/22/2013

We don't have many representations on TV so the ones that are out there are scrutinized more heavily.

(And, boy, is HE heavy!)

Seriously, he bugs me sometimes. But all the characters are very broad.

We have as an alternative that sports-loving slob on Happy Endings.

I think once we have more representations out there the Cameron characters are going to be less offensive.

by Anonymousreply 1901/22/2013

Again, naturally people who will enjoy a clown. But his "clown" is not integrated into the style and character of the show. He delivers a bad stereotype that jars with the "modern family" ethos they push. They're all quirky, but also "real" people. Stonestreet simply is a lousy actor (watch him in anything else) and get rewarded for it, because gays don't matter.

by Anonymousreply 2001/22/2013

He may be a lousy actor, but boy, he's laughing all the way to the bank -- as is the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 2101/22/2013

[quote]He may be a lousy actor, but boy, he's laughing all the way to the bank -- as is the rest of the cast.

And he better learn to keep it in the bank because after this he won't get a lot of work. It offends me that a never married 41 year old actor professes to be straight and then says he based his gay character on his Mother. I also found it ridiculous he won an Emmy for his Steppin' Faggot routine over openly gay Chris Colfer brilliantly performing Rose's Turn on "Glee". At least the Golden Globes got it right

by Anonymousreply 2201/22/2013

I find Eric Stonestreet's character far less offensive of a mass media-disseminated portrayal of a gay man than Bret Easton Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 2301/22/2013

[quote] Every character on Modern Family is a cartoon.

This.

by Anonymousreply 2401/22/2013

R24, the familiar kind of pithy "one-word" withholding thing, misses the point that even on The Simpsons - a real cartoon show - the characters are uniform in context and aimed in the same tonal and thematic direction. Stonestreet is offensive not because he plays a silly, aggressively less-than-sensible gay character. He's offensive because his is the only character - a gay one played by a "straight" man - whose manner and core personality grate against the show's consistency.

In other words, Cam would never have attached himself to this phony thing that is unrepresentative of actuality (and I know my share of the spectrum).

If all that's okay with people, you know exactly the type of people with whom it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 2501/22/2013

Ferguson is much more believable and restrained. The gulf between their acting styles widens- and their lack of chemistry becomes even more and more apparent.

Plus, they are saddled with that terrible actress who plays their daughter. Time to pull yet another Bobby Draper with the character of Lily.

by Anonymousreply 2601/22/2013

I'm offended by the whole fucking minstrel show.

by Anonymousreply 2701/22/2013

R25, I don't disagree with your analysis of Cam, but why do you blame him instead of the writers and directors? I see ES playing the material he's given, and doing with it what he can.

by Anonymousreply 2801/22/2013

It's a weirdly written relationship. Mitchell appears to hate Cam, he rolls his eyes and makes fun of him. His GayFace and GayVoice are more annoying than the Cam character.

by Anonymousreply 2901/22/2013

I wouldn't last a week with Mitchell, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3001/22/2013

It's awards season so the cast is busy practicing being total assholes to everyone at the various shows.

by Anonymousreply 3101/22/2013

I'm not offended by ES's character. I know enough people who act just like him.

I HATE Phil, though. I find Ty Burrell to be obnoxious and irritating. I can't stand to hear his voice overs for FIOS -- You geeeet it. BLECH.

by Anonymousreply 3201/22/2013

I am offended that Bret Easton Ellis is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 3301/22/2013

Ty is hilarious. Love him.

People complaining about the Cam character have somehow missed the Gloria character.

by Anonymousreply 3401/22/2013

There's just something about the show I find off-putting, like they're not really believable or likeable. Yet the show keeps getting accolades and awards while- and forgive me for admitting I watch- Patricia Heaton's show has a better family dynamic and is actually quite funny. (I know it's Patty Heaton but she's a "hate the actress, love the acting" person for me. I just like things she's in.)

by Anonymousreply 3501/22/2013

R32, Phil's is the only truly bearable modern family, and I love Ty Burrell.

by Anonymousreply 3601/22/2013

[quote]it ridiculous he won an Emmy for his Steppin' Faggot routine over openly gay Chris Colfer brilliantly performing Rose's Turn on "Glee".

Chris Colfer? Gag. Talk about a gay stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 3701/23/2013

[quote]I also found it ridiculous he won an Emmy for his Steppin' Faggot routine over openly gay Chris Colfer brilliantly performing Rose's Turn on "Glee".

Yes, let's give an award to a femme boy singing a song written for a middle aged woman. That's progress.

by Anonymousreply 3801/23/2013

[quote]Yes, let's give an award to a femme boy singing a song written for a middle aged woman. That's progress.

You want progress? This kid has more balls than you ever had and listen to the reaction.

by Anonymousreply 3901/23/2013

Michael C Hall on Six Feet Under and Matthew Rhys on Brothers and Sisters, who portrayed arguably the most nuanced gay men on primetime tv in the past decade, never received award recognition for their roles (Hall only received one Emmy nomination for David Fisher - one! He didn't even get nominated for the season where he was kidnapped.)

I think outrageously drawn gay characters are probably getting Emmys because people think the actors playing them are "braver."

by Anonymousreply 4001/23/2013

I don't understand people like R3. Is it mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 4101/23/2013

[quote]I don't mind him, but the little girl playing his daughter has got to go.

I’ve been saying that ever since she got her first spoken line. It’s like watching Michelle Tanner v2. tt

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2013

[quote] Steppin' Faggot

What’s that?

by Anonymousreply 4301/24/2013

No one here has ever met ANYONE like the Stonestreet character before??? Really??

Look, it seems like every gay character on TV is a stereotype at this point. But Modern Family was, at one point, trying to cut against the stereotype, by having Stonestreet's character be a former jock who was still into sports. Dropping this aspect of the character has made him incredibly stereotypical, particularly since the mincing minstrel aspect has gone way up. He's got those pinkies in the air 24/7 at this point, and literally seems to be floating on invisible musical notes.

They still do episodes, from time to time, that counter this is clever ways. The episode where Cam's father visits is a great example. The dads fight over which son is the 'wife', and in the end they come to the realization that they're doing this to keep from accepting that their sons are both men and gay. It was clever.

And the Stonestreet character is infinitely less offensive than the New Normal character.

We'll know we've made progress when Justin Bartha and Brandon Routh get to be the couple, and it's not all about having a baby.

by Anonymousreply 4401/24/2013

[quote]and literally seems to be floating on invisible musical notes.

Despite your misuse of "literally," you made me laugh out loud with this remark.

by Anonymousreply 4501/24/2013

I cannot figure out why some of you think Brian (I assume you mean Brian) on TNN is offensive. I know 5 guys in real life who look, dress and act just like him. So much that my partner and I look at each other and laugh when a sentence comes out of his mouth that we heard last month from Jerry or Mark, or the outfit matches what Kevin wore to dinner last week. Add to it that from what I have seen, Rannells isn't doing much acting here and I think you are just paranoid about your own limp wrists.

by Anonymousreply 4601/24/2013

Cam is offensive but I find his daughter Lily even more offensive.

by Anonymousreply 4701/24/2013

The thing is straight people like Cam. They really like him. He comes off as a very caring decent person. He's more likable than Mitchel. It seems to me that is a positive thing for the gay community as a whole. I think it can change how people think about gay men and I think it's opened the door for more positive gay portrayals on TV that may be more to your liking.

by Anonymousreply 4801/24/2013

R39, cute, and yes, brave, but a little pitchy.

by Anonymousreply 4901/24/2013

R45 Why are there so many grammar queens on DL? Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 5001/24/2013

I agree with R46. There's nothing remotely offensive about Brian's character on The New Normal. He plays funny and smart on the show while David is the straight man(so to speak). That means per episode, there's at least 2 different portrayals of what it means to be or act as a gay man every week. Plus there's no denying Brian and David act like they love each other.

I do think Eric Stonestreet plays his character a little too broad sometimes but again, it's a comedy and he's going for laughs. What I can't figure out is why Cam & Mitch as a couple are so cold to one another. In yesterday's episode of Modern Family, I actually found myself thinking, why do they hate each other?

by Anonymousreply 5101/24/2013

The Brian character is far more offensive.

by Anonymousreply 5201/24/2013

It's not like anyone wants to see them all lovey dovey, r51.

by Anonymousreply 5301/24/2013

I don't think Cam and Mitch squabble any more than any of the other couples on the show. It's a basis for the comedy but also the idea that they love each other even though they have disagreements like all families do.

by Anonymousreply 5401/24/2013

Yes R53 you kind of do want that. What a lot of people are used to seeing in their entertainment featuring Gay people is for Gay people to either be the villains, the butt of jokes, the martyrs dying of some deathly disease (AIDS Drama) , the drug addict (all the popular indie gay movies), the perverts or the asexual BFF a la Will & Grace. It's a nice change of pace to see a perfectly normal loving gay couple.

I think both TNN and Modern Family attempt that while trying to be Funny. I think Modern Family got the comedy part, but I just don't quite buy the loving couple part.

by Anonymousreply 5501/24/2013

Cam is more balls to the wall than Mitch, and savors his sexuality. I suspect with a rural upbringing, he felt more alone and singular, but the farm boys aren't coddled in the way Mitchell seems to have been (except for his gayness). Also, below the trilling exterior, Cam is a lot like Mitchell's dad, which would explain M's attraction and his sometimes obvious befuddlement.

by Anonymousreply 5601/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 5701/25/2013

R55, I completely disagree. Just because they aren't shown in bed kissing each other, doesn't mean they don't convey "couple". They are affectionate, bicker over silly things, have a child together, and are accepted by Mitchell's family. The other couples on the show are portrayed in exactly the same way, with the exception being that Cam and Mitchell are actually more sympathetic and 'normal' in many ways. Their love for each other seems more 'typical'.

On "New Normal", it's clear that they are playing 'husband' and 'wife'. That's not the case on MF. Though Cam is queenier, Mitchell is hardly butch, and that's been emphasized. They are clearly two gay men together. Not a pseudo husband-wife.

by Anonymousreply 5801/25/2013

[quote]On "New Normal", it's clear that they are playing 'husband' and 'wife'.

I think they're fixing that, especially in the episode where they both took a shot at stay-at-home dad drill by practicing with their surrogate's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 5901/25/2013

Cam is the TV character most likely to have engaged in bestiality.

by Anonymousreply 6001/25/2013

R59...,I hope you're right. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 6101/26/2013

R60= Rick Santorum.

by Anonymousreply 6201/26/2013

I don't agree R58. They're not playing pseudo husband & wife on TNN. They both have high powered professions and they're actually similarly nurturing characters and both want kids (3). Both characters wanted to stay home to take care of the child in the one episode.

Cam & Mitch just seem more mean spirited with their constant bickering. Last episode Cam didn't hesitate to humiliate Mitch at the christening by having him walk up there with the underwear stuck to his butt--that's not good relationship couple behavior. You don't take your dirty laundry outside.

And the other couples may bicker, but there are plenty of scenes where Claire and Phil are affectionate and talk about going off to have sex. The same thing with Jay & Gloria. The Cam & Mitch bickering are not broken up by those little moments of affection. That's why sometimes it looks like they don't even like each other.

by Anonymousreply 6301/26/2013

Because they're both professionals they're not playing husband and wife?? Sexist much?

You're wrong about MF. Completely. You're basing your reactions on the actors' looks.

by Anonymousreply 6401/26/2013

Cam = trilling butch

by Anonymousreply 6501/26/2013

That entire show is populated by slightly over-exaggerated characterizations of people we might know in real life.

He's fine.

by Anonymousreply 6601/26/2013

Basically, people who have a problem with him in particular are just railing against the stereotypical gay representation on tv -queeny, femme, whatever.

These people actually exist though, and it might be more worth out time to be "offended" at a society in which there is still a hierarchy in terms of what constitutes masculinity.

I don't have time for that sexist, homophobic bullshit man.

He may be a stereotype, but so are other characters on that show. [See: Sofia Vergara].

by Anonymousreply 6701/26/2013

R64 Then explain how they're playing 'husband' and 'wife'. What wifey things does one character do. I'm betting that you cannot come up with one single thing without sounding sexist. What's your big reveal--is it because one character likes football and the other doesn't--talk about your sexism.

by Anonymousreply 6801/26/2013

R68...oh dear. You have no clue what I'm getting at, and I don't have the time to educate you.

But I will give you an example. In an early publicity photo for the show (which appeared in Entertainment Weekly after the series had premiered), the cast is shown glancing through a plane of glass (presumably at babies in a Hospital nursery). The Bartha character is all in blue, while Andrew's character is all in pink. What does that signal to YOU, Einstein?

by Anonymousreply 6901/26/2013

jesus fucking christ, what a bunch of hens.

Would you give it a rest mack?

We all know (and find funny) guys just like "Cam" and even the queen from the New Normal.

Ditto with the relationships: we all know married friends who are like Cam and Mitch...and the same for the "hubby & wife" routine of New Normal.

The problem with you twisted souls on this thread is you're lonely. Get some friends.

Both are gay positive characters.

Now, Lily. Let's call it like it is: that ugly bitch needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 7001/26/2013

[quote]The Bartha character is all in blue, while Andrew's character is all in pink. What does that signal to YOU, Einstein?

That this is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read on DL.

I'll just direct you to this article on Rick Santorum who apparently shares your pink phobia.

by Anonymousreply 7101/26/2013

[quote]Basically, people who have a problem with him in particular are just railing against the stereotypical gay representation on tv -queeny, femme, whatever.

Horseshit. I have ZERO problem with "queeny, femme," as you put it. As said above, I think Kurt Hummel is a great character and real. Stonestreet plays it where Cam can't decide whether to burst into flames or burst into tears. A stereotype that the world believes is who we are.

by Anonymousreply 7201/26/2013

Yes! we are tired of being represented as gender confused!!!

by Anonymousreply 7301/26/2013

However stereotypical all of the characters are, they are supposed to make us laugh. Cam and Mitchell are often just annoying more than funny.

The actress who plays their daughter doesn't help. The other characters have kid actors who know what they are doing.

by Anonymousreply 7401/26/2013

I love that "sports loving slob" as R19 described "Max" on "Happy Endings." Being gay doesn't have to mean being an ultra-thin fashion plate, ostentatiously over-cultured and endlessly fussing over pop-culture or similarly shallow minutia.

I'm not into sports, but I wear sweatpants, hibernate in the winter and am comfortable and open about my sexuality without letting it dominate my persona. Watching "Max" on "Happy Endings" makes me feel like I'm okay just the way I am and not being "fabulous" doesn't mean I'm any less gay.

I hope "Max" fans start watching "Happy Endings" more regularly, playing the episodes on the ABC app on our tablets and computers, and-even better-contacting the network to let them know how much we like the show. Otherwise, I'm afraid it might be in danger of cancellation.

As for "Cam", the formula on "Modern Family" is a tightly wound father, daughter and son are married to, or partnered with, spouses who are the equivalent of the classic sitcom "wacky neighbor" or "out-of-control spouse." Think of the Prichetts as Desi Arnez's and "Gloria", "Phil" and "Cam" (plus the children) as the "Lucy's." It's a funny, successful show-so it obviously appeals to a large number of people.

"The New Normal's" pilot and initial episodes had too many cringe-worthy moments of excessive stereotyping, hostility from Ellen Barkin's character that was too biting and cruel to be acceptable. However, all shows-sitcoms especially need a few episodes, or a whole uneven first season, to "find their groove."

"The New Normal" has done that. I would recommend giving it another chance. It celebrates individuality, portrays people striving to grow as human beings and is laugh-out-loud funny. Most surprisingly, Ellen Barkin has given some of the most touching, emotionally brave performances I have ever seen on television. She deserves the Best Actress in a Comedy Emmy next year.

Brandon Routh's character on "Partners" was a plus for positive gay portrayals and I wish "Partners" had lasted, but the stereotypical character on that show was an embarrassment and just too annoying to be the lead in a television show.

Overall, I'd say this season has been fairly good in the diversity of gay male characters. But, if we lose "Max," the 2012-2013 TV season will most definitely not have a "Happy Ending."

by Anonymousreply 7501/26/2013

R74, the actor playing Manny makes the troll that plays Lilly look like Streep.

by Anonymousreply 7601/27/2013

R70...Mary! What fun you must be at parties! Calm down, you're hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 7701/27/2013

R71...pink-phobia? You're completely clueless, a moron. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 7801/27/2013

R75, LOVE your post! Don't quite agree on the New Normal in some respects, though I do agree they've improved the Barkin character and that she's had some good acting moments. But great review from you.

by Anonymousreply 7901/27/2013

R75 Thank you! It's so nice to get positive feedback for something I wrote and posted on here (DataLounge can be a tough crowd), I really appreciate your kind words.

by Anonymousreply 8001/27/2013

R80=PPSM 2.0

by Anonymousreply 8101/27/2013

For the people who hate Cam, I think they hate him because he hits a little too close to home. Looking into a mirror isn't always pleasant. I think Cam and the actor's portrayal is just fine. Some of you really need to stop caring so much what people think.

by Anonymousreply 8201/27/2013

R81 What does PPSM 2.0 mean? I don't read this site daily.

by Anonymousreply 8301/27/2013

TEAM CAM!

But I miss the first actress who played Lily. Her silence spoke volumes.

by Anonymousreply 8401/27/2013

I can't stand Bret Easton Ellis, but he has a point here. First gay people seem so grateful to have confirmed straights play them heaping undeserved praise on them. And when it happens it's taken as a challenge and praised to the heavens. The characters are always stereotypical fems. This while tptb insist an openly gay man can't be a genuine romantic lead, while straight guys take all the gay roles as Oscar bait spending the promotional tour affirming their hetero cred and some go out of their way to show how uncomfortable they were and how excruciatingly bad kissing another guy is.

Just save us the tedium of these denials and cast openly gay actors.

by Anonymousreply 8501/27/2013

So no one here has heard of Omar from the WIre? He is Obama's fave character and many straight guys are a fan of him.

He's one of the best gay character of all time.

by Anonymousreply 8601/27/2013

Mitchell and Cam are great. I don't think their characters act gay enough.

by Anonymousreply 8701/27/2013

The Manny character is gayer than either Cam or Mitch, despite he is supposed to be girl-crazy.

by Anonymousreply 8801/27/2013

Can't watch it. Retarded, one-dimensional characters. And the gay couple (two bottoms, riiight) is always uptight and bickering.

I guess that's why the Million Mommies tolerate it: the homos are miserable.

by Anonymousreply 8901/27/2013

Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 9001/27/2013

I really enjoy the show, but I don't understand why Cam and Mitchell are together. They undermine each other constantly, and they don't seem to like or respect each other. The past season or so, all they do is bicker. The other couples show much more affection to each other.

I don't find Stonestreet's character offensive, but I find his two Emmys offensive. He is not such a great actor. All of the other men on the show are more deserving.

Does anyone else think both Lilys have looked biracial? The current one is a HORRIBLE actress. It's hard to believe she already has a SAG award for Best Ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 9101/27/2013

TV will never show a gay couple on par with the straight ones, so I don't see the use in questioning why the other couples show much more affection to each other.

by Anonymousreply 9201/27/2013

I make more scratch from my shitty line readings than the whole lot of you put together. So suck it, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 9301/27/2013

R91, biracial what?

by Anonymousreply 9401/27/2013

When it comes to showing affection in a comedy show I think The New Normal comes pretty close to how a straight couple would be shown. But with the ratings they've been getting lately who knows how long it'll last.

On a separate note, I heard about a South American show (I forgot which country) that would have a similar theme to the New Normal, about a couple having a baby. They said they came up with their show before The New Normal was on the air. But one of the differences would be that this show plans to show nudity and the couple having sex.

by Anonymousreply 9501/27/2013

Lily looks like she's half-Asian, half-Caucasian. And some googling shows it's probably true. Her mother is Korean-American, and her father looks very white.

No reason why a Vietnamese orphan couldn't be biracial, but I find it weird that they don't make any reference to the possibility on the show.

by Anonymousreply 9601/27/2013

R95, again, that's because they've been subjectively framed as 'husband/wife', not as two husbands.

by Anonymousreply 9701/28/2013

R97 You've yet to explain what the fuck that even means. They kiss each other and hug each other--is that some purely heterosexual phenomena now. showing affection is now some kind of straight privilege that I've never heard of.

Your world is pretty jaded or you must live some pretty lonely life like the other poster speculated for you to think acting like a loving couple means acting like 'husband and wife.' I'm betting you've never been in any kind of relationship before.

by Anonymousreply 9801/28/2013

yes, everyone can make fun of a gay and act outrageous. He really is an attention whore. If someone said you act like a flaming queen and get paid for it ,,,you would too. He did because he will do anything to get a job...they are lucky the other talent carried the show for him to spot light. I know his sister and she told me once about a gay brother,,,strange now he isnt,,,hmmm, I wonder if ten years from now ES comes out...time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 9901/30/2013

Eric makes the show and the red head is not funny at all

by Anonymousreply 10001/30/2013

I initially enjoyed Cam and Mitchell, but this season and last they became very annoying. Cam has become very whiny and needs Mitchell to indulge his every whim. Mitchell also seems to be increasingly feminine in his portrayal.

On another note, Eric Stonestreet never pinged for me until a recent interview he gave. At that point he struck me as not so different from the character he portrays.

by Anonymousreply 10101/30/2013

Wasn't Stonestreet dating Charlize? Or was that Renner?

by Anonymousreply 10201/30/2013

I think he is hilarious. I hightly doubt he was with Charlize. He may have been with Renner.

by Anonymousreply 10302/02/2013

He was with Charlize. There were threads and pictures.

by Anonymousreply 10402/02/2013

[quote] a Steppin' Faggot.

[quote] What's that?

A dancing queen.

by Anonymousreply 10502/02/2013

Probably just friends R104. Although, nothing would surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 10602/02/2013

R98= has never read a book in his life.

by Anonymousreply 10702/08/2013

After having seen the latest episode of Modern Family, Cam(Eric Stonestreet) is definitely a drama queen.And the show is getting less intesting. Maybe next season should be the last season of the show.

by Anonymousreply 10805/11/2013

Eric Stonestreet is a fairly good actor. Cam Tucker in Modern Family is just a major pain in the ass, but that's just my personal opinion. I can't stand his character at all, not because he plays a gay character, but his personality in general is drama queen.

I don't see any entertainment from him or any value at all. Manny is pretty much Cam but as a young teenager instead. So we have two drama queens? That's horribly annoying but Manny is more entertaining than Cam.

I just can't stand Cam in the show. Seriously, I just shake with rage every time I see him because it's the same old tired crap of being the center of attention.

by Anonymousreply 10905/24/2013

Get some help, R109, because it's not that serious.

by Anonymousreply 11005/24/2013

All Mitchell does is roll his eyes behind Cam's back and make fun of him. The episode that his ex came back a d everyone fawned over him was sickening. He's not a nice character, Cam is much more likeable.

by Anonymousreply 11105/24/2013

[quote]I just can't stand Cam in the show. Seriously, I just shake with rage every time I see him

I'd stop watching. Actually, I have stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 11205/24/2013

I love Manny and Lily is getting better all the time. Everyone on the show is a stereotype. The important message is that no matter how annoying they are and they are unbearably annoying, they still tolerate and accept each other.

by Anonymousreply 11310/17/2013

He sweats too much during interviews.

by Anonymousreply 11410/17/2013

He can't help if he sweats, he's fat. Who are we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 11510/17/2013

For a fat girl she doesn't sweat much

by Anonymousreply 11610/17/2013

Eric Stonestreet is an ally!

by Anonymousreply 11710/17/2013

yes r117...he purposely never dates women just to show that he is down with the gays!

by Anonymousreply 11810/17/2013

I'm a chubby chaser, he could get down with me.

by Anonymousreply 11910/17/2013

I think most people think Cam is lovable and creative and his heart is in the right place even if his ego is overblown. Mitch is controlling and bitchier and is always finding fault. Of course, that is a direct result of his upbringing. His sister has similar qualities. But she comes off as more sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 12010/17/2013

Everyone on that show is a sitcom stereotype. The hot tamale Latina, gruff grandpa, neurotic housewife, dumb husband, prissy gays. Even the kids, slutty, brainy sisters and dumb little brother. The only original character is Manny.

by Anonymousreply 12110/17/2013

And the actor who plays Manny is probably the most annoying asshole on TV. Aside from that horrid Asian girl who plays Lily.

by Anonymousreply 12210/17/2013

The producer's house in Malibu is falling into the ocean. (hee hee)

by Anonymousreply 12310/17/2013

I don't like it. "I'm playing a gay guy so I'm gonna talk soft and have constantly limp wrists." talk abou unoriginal, besides being stereotypical. Give him an Emmy and give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 12405/10/2014

Josh Gad would have been better. He turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 12505/10/2014

I don't buy the character played by Eric Stonestreet, therefore I don't watch this program. I like the little red headed guy, he seems to be for-teal but his chubby partner doesn't fit. Why would a successful lawyer pair up with an over weight, somewhat effeminate guy. It just doesn't make sense and is seldom seen our world of gay couples. This show is too convoluted and requires one to have watched it religiously in order to understand each weeks rendering. To me, that's a soap opera, no thanks. All the hispanic bull doesn't sit well with me either. It's all seems so message specific. This program is just like all the commercials showing interracial situations that I find unattractive just to watch. I know some people make these choices and I wouldn't go out of my way to make them feel uncomfortable, but I still don't like their choice especially if there are resulting children. It's all too contrived for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 12605/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.