Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Following with Kevin Bacon

Anyone else watching? I just stared it and so far it's got some cliched writing. Bacon is the retired FBI agent who (of course) now appears to have a drinking problem. He tracked and arrested a serial killer, James Purefoy, a decade ago, but now Purefoy had a prison break and is on the loose.

Bacon is called to come back to the FBI. "I'm retired now," Bacon mumbles. "But you're the only one who could catch him last time!" And that's enough to get Bacon back on the case.

Purefoy is obsessed with Poe and likes to kill his victims in ways similar to his poems and stories. That was the same plot of the ABYSMAL John Cusack movie called The Raven last year.

I'll see how the rest of the pilot plays out, but this could already be heading for the trash heap.

by Anonymousreply 2001/22/2013

They lifted the agent being stabbed by the serial killer from [italic]Red Dragon[/italic].

The street where the doctor lived was annoyingly obvious as a studio set. They're not thorough about set dressing.

I did like the opening with Marilyn Manson's Sweet Dreams segueing into Patsy Cline's Sweet Dreams.

by Anonymousreply 101/22/2013

I like everything about Kevin Bacon, but those mean teeth, really turn me off. With all his money, he should have a good cosmetic dentist experiment on creating handsome warm smile. It could be snap on, but his real teeth have always given me the chills. He looks like serial killer when he shows his toofees.

by Anonymousreply 201/22/2013

The whole thing just seemed so stupidly unrealistic. Why would he escape only to get caught again?

If he only wanted to see his ex-wife again it would have been just as easy to kidnap the wife as it was to take the kid.

It seemed like there was a lot of sloppy storytelling and dialogue, although I admit there was decent suspense. The violence was gratuitous, but gave me chills.

by Anonymousreply 301/22/2013

Hasn't this been done ad nauseum on Criminal Minds?

by Anonymousreply 401/22/2013

I love Kevin Bacon, because he supports his gays.

by Anonymousreply 501/22/2013

Yes R4. It is a Criminal Minds wannabe for sure.

by Anonymousreply 601/22/2013

What is wrong with Kevin Bacon's left eye?

by Anonymousreply 701/22/2013

I've loved Kevin since seeing his beautiful dick in the shower scene in WILD THINGS.

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2013

The first thing I thought was the Reaper story arc from CM. Similar elements. Tormented ex-cop who hands it off to Hotchner, kidnapped family member, etc. I haven't watched CM in a while, but the criticism I've read is that it has become more and more gratuitous in order to maintain audience attention. There are only so many possible serial killer plots and angles to exhaust.

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2013

Natalie Zea jumps around to different series so I'm not hopeful her character will survive.

The same with Annie Parisse. She left LAW & ORDER and had a gruesome end on that show.

The only person who's probably safe is Kevin Bacon. He's the star and the show can't lose him.

by Anonymousreply 1001/22/2013

Love Kevin Bacon.

Show looks cliche but entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2013

I loathe Bacon's teefs but adore Purefoy's feets. I'd like his big, thick, uncut, British beer can cock inside me quite deeply.

And Natalie Zea is a mediocrity as an actress and not a nice lady, to boot.

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2013

What Natalie Zea stories do you have R12?

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2013

Annie Parisse is fabulous. An excellent actress with a lot of NYC stage experience. Loved her in "Becky Shaw."

She was actually my favorite ADA on Law & Order. I stopped watching when they killed her off because she wasn't blonde or whorey enough.

by Anonymousreply 1401/22/2013

I love the evil mastermind is a college English professor who is a Poe expert. And that he became a serial killer when his novel flopped.

I also love that he honed his amazing powers of charisma (though which he can turn other people into serial killers themselves) by lecturing to undergraduates.

by Anonymousreply 1501/22/2013

Annie Parisse was indeed excellent in Becky Shaw. My favorite thing she's done was All's Well That Ends Well for Shakespeare in the Park. That was quite the performance and really showed her range.

She probably was the best actor in Clybourne Park too.

by Anonymousreply 1601/22/2013

I'm delighted to find community in my love for Annie Parisse. That bitch is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1701/22/2013

Ha all my friends love Parisse. After Becky Shaw we knew she was gonna be something special. That was also my first exposure to David Wilson Barnes too.

And don't forget that cast also had Tom Sadoski, who's become quite the fine actor, as well as the always brilliant Kelly Bishop!

by Anonymousreply 1801/22/2013

R18, yes, Kelly Bishop is always brilliant. I went back to see AN UNMARRIED WOMAN at least a couple of times because of "Elaine." (I loved Jill Clayburgh, too.)

And I don't think I'd seen Tom Sadoski in anything until THE NEWSROOM on HBO, but he is truly a high point of the show.

Annie Parisse I saw on AS THE WORLD TURNS as "Julia." But I couldn't stand half the scenes she was in because either Maura West ("Carly") was in them, or Annie and Michael Park talked incessantly about "Carly," who was the worst soap opera character in history.

by Anonymousreply 1901/22/2013

Did you see Other Desert Cities, R19? Sadowski played Stockard's son and was great. Matthew Risch and Justin Kirk both later took over the role, but Sadowski came back to close the show.

I also saw him do some good work over at BAM in a couple Shakespeare productions. Plus he was nominated for a Tony (with Marin Ireland) in Reasons To Be Pretty. I didn't care much for the play, or LaBute in general, but he acquitted himself well given the material.

I never watched an episdoe of ATWT, but I'll have to search for her scenes on youtube, especially if she was sharing them with Michael Park!

by Anonymousreply 2001/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!