Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"I arrived in New York City with only twenty dollars in my pocket..."

Ah, the bullshit celebrity narrative.

The bitch forgot to mention that she only carries 20 at any given time and the rest was in her trust fund and her black AMEX card.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

I just heard this fiction recently that some actress was trying to pull.

One coffee and sandwich at Starbucks and she'd have been broke.

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

Does she admit to all the blowjobs she gave to get DJs to play her crappy demos?

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2013

Lady Gaga's variation is that she struggled as a waitress on the Lower East Side.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

I never carry cash. If they don't take credit or debit I don't go. (even the Taxis take credit nowadays!)

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

They also all lived in their cars.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

OP, why do you hate Gwyneth Paltrow?

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Madonna's story of only having $35 in her pocket and arriving in Times Square was largely debunked created by Madonna and Liz Rosenberg years ago. She worked multiple jobs in Michigan before leaving for New York and she stayed with friends who already moved there to pursue a dancing career. Supposedly, her father would wire her money every now and then, and she would blow random guys for a place to stay or a meal to make ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

I have never been poor!!!

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

Madonna's father and oldest brother (not Christopher, I can't remember his name) helped her out financially in her early years in NY. They paid her rent and sent her money several times. Her story of landing in NY with only $35 and no place to stay is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1001/22/2013

Madonna doesn't own this fiction. The number of celebs who were living on Ramen noodles at a place with eight roommates is staggering. And the number of unused bus tickets home (before the big break) is too high to count.

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2013

Even M likes to tell the story of how she couldn't apply to Julliard because the application fee was too high...yet she grew up in Summit NJ (money), went to Vassar, studied opera as a child with the same teacher as Beverly Sills,......

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2013

However, it rings true for most of the hair metal bands of the 80's. those guys really *were* broke and living in cars.

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2013

That actually used to happen in the sixties and seventies, and not just New York, all over. My late bf had a VW bug and $50 when he moved to New Orleans. It was what young people did when they left school and didn't have jobs. And you could do it because there were jobs in the big city, any big city. By 1982, though, it was a recipe for disaster and Manhattan way too expensive. I did have a friend who moved there with $650 and a car, but he also had a summer internship where he had a few months to get organized.

by Anonymousreply 1401/22/2013

I still hear that story today. Some celebrity was just pushing it last week about the twenty bucks imn her pocket.

And of course, its cousin, the college/high school athlete who suffered a sports injury so turned to

1. dance to help their injury, recommended by their coach, which was awesome as they got to meet girls

or

2. acting because why not and they got to meet girls!

by Anonymousreply 1501/22/2013

N-Y-Ceeeeeeee

Just got here this morning! Three bucks, two bags, one meee!

by Anonymousreply 1601/22/2013

[quote]Even M likes to tell the story of how she couldn't apply to Julliard because the application fee was too high...yet she grew up in Summit NJ (money), went to Vassar, studied opera as a child with the same teacher as Beverly Sills,......

I applied back in '94 and the application fee was $75. More than most other schools, but not unaffordable.

by Anonymousreply 1701/22/2013

No proper shoes upon my feet, sometimes I couldn't even eat! I often cried myself to sleep! But I had to keep on going..

by Anonymousreply 1801/22/2013

"We agreed that since I have the luxury to write full-time..."

But the question is, should you?

by Anonymousreply 1901/22/2013

Bradley Cooper grew up wealthy!!!!! I knew I liked him!

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

R19, who are you quoting?

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2013

Madonna had tons of money, and she had connections in NYC. Her college friends outed her, as did her brother. She is such a habitual liar. Her classmates say that she used to get money and stick it into a book she carried around.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

plus Madonna's father was frantic for her to come home and finish college so I doubt he let her suffer too much. I'm sure checks were only a phone call away.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

Franco is big on saying his parents cut him off when he quit UCLA but I bet there were checks sent.

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2013

I'm only twelve- but I can get a dishwashing job or somethin'!

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

"I arrived in New York City with only twenty dollars in my pocket..."

It was 1900 and times were tough. Luckily I managed to find employment as an artist's model. Mother initially objected to my joining the Floradoras. Then Stanford White took a fancy to my charming visage...

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.