Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama Mentions Stonewall In His Inauguration Speech

Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2013

"Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth."

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

That is beautiful and with his history, it's not just lip-service.

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

Second best to what? Be glad it wasn't Shitt, you wouldn't have gotten shit...and even worse...undoing of progress.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

I love people say "stand up to" Republicans. As if Obama could just magically pass every law he wants if he was only more aggressive.

The President doesn't pass legislation. The Congress does.

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

Nice touch mentioning Stonewall.

The current day Repugs never ever would have done it. And it will be a long time coming before the Repugs ever acknowledge gay issues of equality paricularly at an presidential inauguration.

Did you hear that Log Cabin and GOProud?!

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

R3 you will never be happy. How sad for you.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Odds on that R3 slips back into this thread, cookies nicely cleared, and uses the word "self-loathing" to describe anyone who disagrees with him.

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

.Why hasn't anyone tried to produce legislation to extend federal civil rights legislation to homosexuals

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

[quote]Just sayin

Grow up. So sick of this phrase.

If you post something as wonderful as this, don't ruin it with this ridiculous teen speak.

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

R3, I don't say this often, but you're a miserable cunt.

From Obama's comments to the prayer by the inauguration minister, and in other spots, there is a lot of movement on gay rights. Obama spoke about it and DADT is gone, his administration isn't defending DOMA and have said it's wrong. He has persuaded many Americans, including black Americans who support gay marriage about equal to that of white voters, that marriage equality is the right path. As a gay person, I support him strongly, as have most gays in the US.

There are other challenges and I don't expect he'll get everything he wants. But I do know one thing, R3, you're a negative, pessimistic person.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

For a long time I was reluctant to recognize Obama as a true supporter of gay rights. That changed with the end of DADT, and then with his overt support for gay marriage last year. I gave more than a grand to his campaign, and don't regret one penny.

He's not perfect, but he is tons better than the alternative.

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2013

I love all of the sane and sensible voices drowning out R3 in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

Blog keeps a running record of Obama's efforts regarding progress and legislation for gay rights

The Truth About Obama and the Gays see link

thought it might be useful to inject some facts into a discussion about the President's actions regarding civil rights for all

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

[quote]If you post something as wonderful as this, don't ruin it with this ridiculous teen speak.

Chillax, Dude.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

A slightly different topic: how does the secret service fully protect Obama while he's walking down the street in the parade? It makes me nervous seeing him in front of such a huge crowd.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

I'm glad that's over R16!

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

R3 proves the PUMAs will always be with us.

Don't worry, only 4 more years until Hillary finishes the work her husband started destroying the middle class and throwing gays under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

[quote]Please, it's always lip-service with Obama. He's a great speaker, but he's a pussy who is too scared to stand up to Republicans.

Do you honestly think that if he had 'stood up to Repiblicans' during his first term he would have been voted in a second time? Diplomacy is something I used to rail against, but unfortunately, it is absolutely necessary.

by Anonymousreply 1901/21/2013

r3, bitch. I dare you to respond to the information posted in r16.

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2013

R 16 I dont know the details, but the amount of planning for these things is huge. They have pretty much everything and everyone watched. He has Secret Service as well as DoD protection. The Secret Service people that are seen ar only a very small percent of the people assigned to keep him safe. There is a huge amount of undercover protection as

Even tho he wears a bulletproof vest, I do hold my breath a bit when I see him out walking arround.

by Anonymousreply 2101/21/2013

I meant r14.

r3 please respond to r14 or GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 2201/21/2013

R14 here

[quote]thought it might be useful to inject some facts into a discussion about the President's actions regarding civil rights for all

I think my original statement won't interest some people.

Obama is not perfect, but he has done more to support gay rights than I once dreamed possible in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 2301/21/2013

[quote]If you post something as wonderful as this, don't ruin it with this ridiculous teen speak.

But I am a teen.

by Anonymousreply 2401/21/2013

Just think where we were four years ago. Prop 8 passing. That homophobe speaking at the inauguration. We really have come far.

Were we are now is thanks to both Obama, several key members of the democratic party and prominent members of the gay community who would not just sit by and shut up like some Uncle Tom's wanted.

Obama always stated that he would help us but we had to hold his feet to the fire to get things moving. We did and he kept his promises.

We should be celebrating all around. There's still work to be done, but we've gotten through the door.

by Anonymousreply 2501/21/2013

[quote]For a long time I was reluctant to recognize Obama as a true supporter of gay rights. That changed with the end of DADT

Too bad you have no regard for history and facts.

The White House put up all kinds of roadblocks to the repeal of DADT. (If you want dates, events, memos and specifics, I'll post them again.) It was Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid who got the repeal at the 11th hour before the Rethugs took over the House. Obama signed the papers but it was Pelosi and Reid who rammed it through Congress.

Members of Congress had asked Obama to lead the fight for repeal; he ignored their memo. When Alcee Hastings put an amendment to the defense budget, in July 2009, to eliminate all funding for DADT discharges, the White House demanded that he withdraw the amendment unless he wanted all Federal funding to disappear from his district.

Anyone who spent years working toward the DADT repeal knows that it was Pelosi and Reid who should get full credit for the repeal.

by Anonymousreply 2601/21/2013

I give Obama TONS of credit for making gay rights a major part of his agenda.

by Anonymousreply 2701/21/2013

I credit Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 2801/21/2013

Speaking of Hillary, the last time she was asked, she reiterated her opposition to gay marriage (she supports Civil Unions.) Tsk tsk Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 2901/21/2013

I [i][b]WILL[/b][/i] cut you, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3001/21/2013

[quote]Speaking of Hillary, the last time she was asked, she reiterated her opposition to gay marriage

How many years ago was "the last time she was asked"?

by Anonymousreply 3101/21/2013

Freeper fucks and their deranged hatred of Hillary.

Shove it before I smush your faces into a period-bloodied vagina.

by Anonymousreply 3201/21/2013

Oh silly R30. You have to actually type out the words bold and italic here for that to work.

by Anonymousreply 3301/21/2013

Barack is currying favor, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 3401/21/2013

[quote]Freeper fucks and their deranged hatred of Hillary. Shove it before I smush your faces into a period-bloodied vagina.

Maya Angelou, manners, please.

by Anonymousreply 3501/21/2013

About a year ago, r31, maybe less. Her husband came out for gay marriage years before that.

by Anonymousreply 3601/21/2013

[quote] It was Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid who got the repeal at the 11th hour before the Rethugs took over the House.

That's because DADT was a law. The President does not have the power to overturn a law. Only Congress (or SCOTUS finding it unconstitutional) can overturn a law.

by Anonymousreply 3701/21/2013

What a different country it would be if I had been elected President. My inaugural speech would have referenced Stonehenge....

by Anonymousreply 3801/21/2013

A historic speech... Obama literally made history today, in many ways... and all people like R3 can do is bitch, kvetch, moan, and whine.

by Anonymousreply 3901/21/2013

My husband STONEWALLED in every one of his speeches and YOU PEOPLE still did not appreciate it!

by Anonymousreply 4001/22/2013

Too bad they are just words

by Anonymousreply 4101/24/2013

Obama is best friends with Chicago Gayor Rahm Emmanuel

He has Poz Face

He lisps when he talks (talks white that is)

He has moobs

And was raised exclusively by him mommy and granny.

You can clearly see he is a closet homo.

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.