Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chinatown bus driver scolds me (and other Whites) for not eating at a Chinese restaurant

I went to Boston yesterday to see Pippin and had a very pleasant Bolt Bus experience getting there in the morning.

My friend and I unfortunately booked seats with Lucky Star back to the city and it was a whole different experience. After some very rude customer service at the Lucky Star "customer service" kiosk our bus left on time at 6pm.

Around 7:30 we stopped for dinner. Normally these buses stop at a McDonald's or Burger King- although no great shakes, everyone knows what to expect at a McDonald's. Instead our driver takes us into a deserted shopping plaza and proceeds to drive to the end of the plaza. There are no fast food restaurants in sight. A grocery store (The Big Y) is in the center of the plaza and a cheap looking Chinese restaurant at the end of the plaza.

The driver tells us we have 10 minutes and puts a sign out in front the Chinese restaurant that reads "Welcome NYC travelers. Eat here." My friend and I, along with several other White passengers walked past the Chinese restaurant to the grocery store. The bus driver got mad and yelled- you boys! hey you boys! you eat here!! We said no, and he said better be only 10 minutes.

I've never had a bus driver try to enforce a certain restaurant on his/her passengers. We thought it was funny and weird. The worst part was all the people who did buy the Chinese takeout then had to eat it on the bus, and it smelled so badly that I felt nauseous. I bus full of McDonald's smell would be bad enough, but this was 10x worse.

Does anyone else have any bad/strange experience with the Chinatown buses? I've heard Fengshaw (?) is even worse than Lucky Star, but I don't think I'll ever take them. I guess I learned my lesson and should stick to Bolt.

by Anonymousreply 6507/13/2013

Life is tough, but New Yorkers can rise above all of these critical life and death moments with style and nobility.

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

"I went to Boston yesterday to see Pippin"

There's your first mistake.

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

You're riding a bus, to Boston, to see Pippin?

As you must know by now, you get what you pay for.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2013

Wasn't the first mistake taking the bus?

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

What could you do in a Chinese restaurant in 10 minutes in the first place? Has happened to me but not in the US and he gets paid to bring customers. Complain to the company

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

Actually Pippin was great. Paulus really did a brilliant job, and it's sure to clean up at the Tonys this year.

I realize what I'm getting into taking the bus, but I've only taken Megabus and Bolt before. Bolt is the better of the two, but both are tolerable compared to the Chinatown experience.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

R5- As big a deal as the driver made about us making it back from the grocery store in 10 minutes (which we all did) he waited an extra 10 minutes for the others to get through the Chinese restaurant line and wait for their takeout.

The restaurant must have been owned by a cousin or family friend. Why else attempt to force everyone to eat there?

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

First of all nothing would smell worse than McDonalds unless it was a full diaper.

Second he clearly got a kickback.

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

Obviously, since you have made a huge point that the 'victims" were white, you must be attempting to get the focus of the responses to be Chinese bashing. Too transparent.

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

[quote]since you have made a huge point that the 'victims" were white

Not just white - "White".

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

[quote]The restaurant must have been owned by a cousin or family friend. Why else attempt to force everyone to eat there?

Money!

It doesn't have to be family or friend. It just has to be a restaurant owner who gives the driver a percentage of what is spent by the passengers. Is that too difficult to figure?

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

What, you couldn't wait until March for Pippin to open on BROADWAY?

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2013

Yeah, stick with Bolt. Or do what I do on Lucky Star: pack some energy bars and a drink, and use the break to just stretch out for a few minutes. It's only 4.5 hours, not an eternity.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

I got my tickets to Pippin before the transfer was announced R12. With Paulus' track record I could have assumed it would have transferred, but I didn't want to take the chance.

If I hadn't gone down to DC to Follies I would never have seen Bernadette in the red dress...It's not wise to miss these out-of-towns if at all possible.

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

Do you save a lot of money on the ticket price by going to see it in Boston instead of waiting until it gets to Broadway?

Is it cheaper to go from NYC to Boston on the bus instead of on the train?

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

omg - Follies was the GREATEST!

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

The train is much more expensive. Trains have a ton of empty seats as a result.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

R15- I wasn't seeing it in Boston so that I wouldn't have to see it in New York. Of course I'll go back to see what changes have been made, etc. Plus it was pretty amazing and there was a lot to take in.

My ticket for the show was $25 and between Bolt and Lucky Star the buses were $33. So it is cheaper than a Broadway ticket.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

I would have gotten broccoli in garlic sauce...yum.

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2013

Those Chinatown buses are really unsafe.

by Anonymousreply 2101/21/2013

Wow, thanks R21. Those safety violations are scary. I'll never take a Chinatown bus again!

by Anonymousreply 2201/21/2013

I can see why you went to the grocery store. As soon as the guy said 10 minutes I would never imagine having enough time to eat anything besides McDonalds or some other fast food joint.

by Anonymousreply 2301/21/2013

Don't be so cheap -- take the train!

by Anonymousreply 2401/21/2013

If you live in New York, why would you go to Boston to see a show?

by Anonymousreply 2501/21/2013

Greyhound did the same thing. I knew a family who ran a truckstop restaurant in Kansas where every single Greyhound stopped for decades. They had a separate buffet line and dining room just for the bus passengers, and the prices were almost double what they charged in the regular restaurant. They got seriously rich running that place.

I think Greyhound got a piece of the action, but they had to promise to provide service 24/7, and I know the drivers all ate free (in the regular restaurant).

by Anonymousreply 2601/21/2013

Bottom problems.

by Anonymousreply 2701/21/2013

It's not that far from Boston to NY. Did you really need to eat at all?

This is a fairly common practice on tour buses, but it seems unusual for a regular bus, especially when there are places available with more options for eating.

by Anonymousreply 2801/21/2013

Am I on the AARP website?

Jesus Christ!

by Anonymousreply 2901/23/2013

Call ICE and the NTSB

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2013

What's the big deal? You took a bus that's probably Chinese owned and that probably primarily caters to taking Chinese people to/from Boston and it stopped at a Chinese Restaurant. Why are you surprised?

If one of the Mega or Bolt Buses had a handful of Chinese people on it who bitched that it stopped at McDonald's, saying it wasn't food they eat and it stinks up the bus, you'd be the type of person screaming that they should just shut up and get over it.

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2013

I'm in my late 20s (which may qualify as eldergay for some of you), I'm not racist and am smart with my money. Living in New York you learn how to budget.

The main issue was the driver harshly scolding us for not eating at the Chinese buffet, and going so far as to tell us that we had to eat there. No one is going to tell me where to eat and spend my money.

If they are getting a cut from the buffet then so be it, but they can't force their passengers to eat there.

Sure there are some Asians on the Chinatown buses, but there are just as many Whites, Blacks and Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 3301/24/2013

To all of you nasty queens who are berating the OP for taking the bus to Boston, and for traveling there to see PIPPIN in the first place: Will you just please fuck off? As others have pointed out, the price of bus fare from New York to Boston and back is a small fraction of the price of the same trip by train. And why the fuck does someone have to justify going to see the show in Boston even if he DID know it was coming to Broadway when he booked the ticket -- which, apparently, he didn't? You assholes should really stop thinking you know better than everyone else, because it's clear that the OPPOSITE is true.

by Anonymousreply 3401/24/2013

Firt of all, maybe OP went to Boston because he knew someone in the cast.

The Chinese fare to Boston is maybe $35 RT or something. AMTRAK on a Saturday is much more ($60+ each way or something? anyone?) and not a time saving.

I've been taking discount buses to DC every weekend for 13 years. I started out with Chinese buses, and until a few years ago they made rest stops at regularly turnpike rest areas, partly to gas up in cheaper NJ/Delaware and also to let passengers go to the bathroom (they don't put TP in their bathrooms, or didn't used to.) For a long time their DC-end stops were, hands-down, the worst Chinese restaurants I've ever been to. Two were in Chinatown, one was on L Street. Food was nasty, so was the staff.

by Anonymousreply 3501/24/2013

OP, I believe I've been on the same bus with the same driver! I've taken that bus to Boston often.

I remember being bewildered by it too. Who really wants to stop for a buffet meal on a four hour bus trip? Isn't the point to stretch your legs and get a drink or snack to take back to the bus?

I walked into the restaurant to see what it was and to use the bathroom. The owners looked irritated when I left. The driver didn't say anything.

by Anonymousreply 3601/24/2013

In the olden days, if a Chinese man got aggressive, you could beat him with a stick and nothing would happen to you.

by Anonymousreply 3701/24/2013

I too, would've resisted paying full price for a buffet I only had 10 minutes to eat.

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2013

R33, I think you meant to say you were born in the late 1920s.

R34, how dare anyone make fun on the OP for complaining about cut-rate service when taking a cut-rate bus trip?

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2013

R40, they weren't making fun of the OP for complaining about cut-rate service, they were making fun of him for taking a bus to Boston at all, instead of the train. They also were making fun of him for traveling to Boston to see PIPPIN.

At any rate, complaining about cut-rate service in terms of the actual bus ride is one thing, and making a valid complaint about being coerced to eat at a particular restaurant during the rest stop is something else entirely. But I guess you're too stupid to understand why.

by Anonymousreply 4101/24/2013

OP, you will not get sympathy on this website. For DLers, white people are always wrong and non-white people are always right. This is a free country. You can eat whereever you like and tell those that want to force you to eat somewhere to shove it.

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2013

OP, NEVER take Lucky Star - always take FUNG WAH from NY-Boston and back. Same price (maybe cheaper), same schedule, and they always stop at a McDonald's somewhere in Connecticut. Plus, the NY stop is much more convenient....

None of that Chinese kickback nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 4401/25/2013

Why don't Chinese people have cataracts? Because they drive Lincolns!

by Anonymousreply 4501/25/2013

R43, the eldergay shit needs to stop, you miserable little homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 4601/25/2013

Fuckin' moron, the bus driver gets a percentage of customers he drives to each restaurant. It's kind of like a Dominos card.

by Anonymousreply 4701/25/2013

I know this isn't the right thread, but couldn't find another one, but it involves Datalounge favorites:

* Video * Rude, selfish parent * Screaming * Nasty, inconsiderate person

This happened in Singapore and hoping for the video and responses to viral globally as it has locally.

This inconsiderate mother (and her hen-pecked husband) brought her two children on a bus with one child sleeping in the stroller (pram). She doesn't want to wake up the child to hold her (as required by law) and fold up the pram and put it away, so instead she argues WHILE FILMING IT with the driver, who stays steady. You might want to turn down the volume as she is a screeching bitch. And that poor husband.

by Anonymousreply 4807/11/2013

Clearly the OP has not been to Hawaii, Mexico, Costa Rica or China. They do this all over the world.

Bus drivers and hotel staff get some kind of kick back and it not illegal, just annoying.

I once asked the hotel concierge in Hawaii where the best luau was on the island. Next thing I knew, the charter bus pulls up to 10 other bussed in the middle of an industrial waste factory by the water. And the just started.

by Anonymousreply 4907/11/2013

Something like this happened to me on a tour of England years ago. I think it was Globus. They took us to several little towns on the way to/from all the tourist destinations on the itinerary...like Stonehenge and Bath. No reason to stop in these little towns except to shop for junk and maybe grab a quick bite.

Anyway, the tour guide complained to our group that he hated the German tourists because they didn't "get" that they were supposed to spend money in these areas. They would bring their own food and it infuriated him.

by Anonymousreply 5007/11/2013

OP, I'm Chinese, and I certainly wouldn't have been pleased about the pressure to eat at that dingy place. The kickback factor was obvious. But unlike you, I wouldn't have made it about race. As previous posters have pointed out, it's a common, if irritating, practice across the world.

by Anonymousreply 5207/11/2013

How do you know it was the same driver r36?

by Anonymousreply 5307/11/2013

The party is over for Chinatown buses as we once knew them. First they came for Fung Wah; then it was Ming An; now another was just axed.

The feds are on a roll, having continued their crusade last week by targeting Boston-based curbside operators Lucky Star, located at 59 Chrystie. As with its onetime rival, the US Department of Transportation handed down an “imminent hazard out-of-service order,” which equates to a death sentence.

Boston Globe, the news outlet that broke the story, reported that Lucky’s fleet was unlucky at staying alive. Buses allegedly broke down more than eighty times in the past year between Boston and New York; inspections also uncovered sixty-nine violations on six coaches, including faulty brakes, windshield and emergency exit defects, and rotted floors. And even though the carrier logged one crash in two years, it nevertheless averaged thirteen violations per bus over the past three years, ranking the highest among lines that transport passengers between the two cities.

With Fung Wah and Lucky Star out of the game, the only direct Chinatown-Boston service is now offered by Greyhound-Peter Pan newcomer Yo! Bus.

by Anonymousreply 5407/11/2013

"Rotted floors"? OMG.

by Anonymousreply 5507/11/2013

I've been in DC for 9 years and gave up on the Chinatown buses after 2 years. They are the cheapest but I decided my health and comfort were worth the extra $15 each trip. The final two straws were one trip where a chair was put in the aisle to squeeze in one more passenger. The 2nd was seeing a Buddhist monk getting soaked from DC to NY. He had the bad luck of picking the seat under a leak on a rainy day.

I go with the Jews now and yes, it's $50-60 round trip rather $35 but it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 5607/11/2013

If I were to take the bus, I would gladly eat kickback Chinese, than gawdawful Mcdonalds or whopper king.

by Anonymousreply 5707/11/2013

[quote]The restaurant must have been owned by a cousin or family friend. Why else attempt to force everyone to eat there?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

by Anonymousreply 5807/11/2013

Why don't you people just rent a car for a day trip?

by Anonymousreply 5907/11/2013

Not me, R58. Spoke to a restaurant inspector once who said Chinese restaurants are the worst, by far. Disgustingly dirty.

by Anonymousreply 6007/11/2013

A bus. Really? Was your private jet in the shop? I'd stay home next time.

by Anonymousreply 6107/11/2013

Take the Limoliner--not as cheap as the discount buses but less than the Acela and far more pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 6207/11/2013

You should have taken Bait Bus!

by Anonymousreply 6307/11/2013

r9 finds the Chinese restaurant coercion a daffy, and informative experience in multi-culturalism!

by Anonymousreply 6407/11/2013

Video of annoying Singaporean bus rider bitching about why she can't board the bus with her sleeping child in the stroller (pram) without folding the stroller. Bless the bus driver for not slapping the curry out of this ignorant, annoying bitch. If it were me, I certainly would have.

Scroll down 1/2 way for links to 3 videos.

And yes, I'm posting this again...my goal is for these videos to go viral globally to expose the stupidity of this woman.

by Anonymousreply 6507/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.