Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

**Inauguration Day Schedule**

Here's a guide to today's inauguration schedule (all times Eastern):

9 AM: Former presidents, House of Representatives members, senators, governors and Cabinet designees begin to arrive at the U.S. Capitol for the public, ceremonial inauguration of President Obama and Vice President Biden.

11:35 AM: Myrlie Evers-Williams, widow of slain civil-rights leader Medgar Evers, gives the invocation

11:46 AM: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor administers the vice presidential oath of office to Vice President Biden

11:55 AM: U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts administers the presidential oath of office to President Obama

12 PM: Obama delivers the inaugural address

2:36 PM: The Obamas and Bidens begin the inaugural parade down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House

by Anonymousreply 17601/24/2013

You know, I was thinking, just how different things would be today if RMoney had won the election. I know that I would be terribly depressed and angry. But thankfully, Obama won and I am so very, very happy!

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

I'm watching C-Span coverage. As usual, it's excellent for picking up on those little moments.

Otoh, I was flabbergasted when thier reporter on the Mall asked the family (African -American) she was interviewing how much it cost them to attend the Inaugural.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

I voted for Obama and I'm glad he's having a second term.

But so much of the festivities are a waste of money....I wish he would have set an example and significantly turned down the volume on the festivities. Or made it a day of service.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2013

It is a day of service, R3.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

R4 I mean, if everyone in a tux and ballgown saved that money, and the money used for the balls (private or not) and instead celebrated by doing large scale service and charity projects.

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

R5, They did cut back on the festivities this year. I think they reduced the number of balls by half or more.

I understand your point, but celebration is an integral part of life. I'm quite sure that every penny you make after rent doesn't go to charity.

Obama, the Democrats, and the rest of the civilized world deserves a celebration.

Beyond the frivolity, don't forget that the day is filled with speeches/addresses that reinforce what we represent as a party and as a country. This is an important moment apart from the day-to-day grind.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

MO playing it safe with a severe,tailored dark coat.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Adding to what R6 posted, there will only be 2 Inaugural balls instead of 10. The President and First Lady will only attend one.

To R3 - As Rachel Maddow just stated on air, it's a day to celebrate democracy. This only happens ever 4 years. After such a rough and divisive election, I think this country needs this.

To R1 - I totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

I think just the opposite, don't tone it down, go full Roman with this.

Obama should ride a chariot pulled by the Republican House Members while Rommey and the other losing candidates follow in chains. At the very least Michelle and the girls should have leashed tigers and lions walking ahead of them during the procession.

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

I loves MO's choice of outerwear this year as well s four years ago.

I'm surprised RM is leading MSMBC's coverage...She's good though.

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

This just in - Paul Ryan Booed by Inauguration Crowd:

If things had gone differently in November, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) might have departed the Capitol on Monday as the vice president of the United States. Instead, he faced a chorus of boos as he left the building to attend President Barack Obama's second inauguration ceremony.

Ryan announced last week that he would be present for Obama's public swearing in at the Capitol, calling it his "obligation."

Ryan served as GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney's running mate during the 2012 election cycle. Though they came up short in their loss to Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, he was reelected to his Wisconsin congressional seat in November.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

Man, the POTUS looks as thin as a rail, and, of course, greyer then he was four years ago...

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2013

The First Lady made an excellent choice in clothing today. She looks elegant. It suits her very well. Mrs. Evers is making a lovely invocation.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

James Taylor seems to always find his way back into the camera.

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

It drives me crazy that our President is one of the millions who always pronounces the word "tenets" as "tenants" just like every other idiot. Oy!

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

Very smart speech. He's asserting the "together" rhetoric to implicitly slam the hard right.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

Well, Jill Biden has certainly got her upper-body strength training having to heft that gargantuan Bible two days in a row.

I like Chuck Schumer, but I wish he'd treated this a little less like a Yankees game.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

Climate change!

Wow. He's going partisan. I'm pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

I miss Aretha's hat.

by Anonymousreply 1901/21/2013

Yes, he mentioned The Gays!

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2013

The President is giving gays a big shout out! Wow!

by Anonymousreply 2101/21/2013

Stonewall! If anybody had told me that POTUS would mention that in an Inagural speech, I'd tell'em I'm the Queen of Romania.

by Anonymousreply 2201/21/2013

This is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 2301/21/2013

HOORAY, It is indeed a GOOD DAY!!

by Anonymousreply 2401/21/2013

Brilliant speech. Wonderful. Let's get to work now, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 2501/21/2013

[quote]Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law.

This makes me so glad I became a citizen. Thank you, Mr. President.

by Anonymousreply 2601/21/2013

Quite the transition from the soaring words of the president to the majestic voice of Kelly Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 2701/21/2013

Kelly sounds great. Hate the yellow hair though.

by Anonymousreply 2801/21/2013

and if no one said it, Ciaran, we're glad you too!

by Anonymousreply 2901/21/2013

Wow! What a diffence between Aretha's magnificent song four years ago and this awful performance. It's a good thing the Marine Band at least provided great background.

by Anonymousreply 3001/21/2013

Kelly sounded like a mental patient being anally probed. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 3101/21/2013

Gee, where is The Oprah??

by Anonymousreply 3201/21/2013

sigh

by Anonymousreply 3301/21/2013

MR. OBAMA: Vice President Biden, Mr. Chief Justice, Members of the United States Congress, distinguished guests, and fellow citizens:

Each time we gather to inaugurate a president, we bear witness to the enduring strength of our Constitution. We affirm the promise of our democracy. We recall that what binds this nation together is not the colors of our skin or the tenets of our faith or the origins of our names. What makes us exceptional – what makes us American – is our allegiance to an idea, articulated in a declaration made more than two centuries ago:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”

Today we continue a never-ending journey, to bridge the meaning of those words with the realities of our time. For history tells us that while these truths may be self-evident, they have never been self-executing; that while freedom is a gift from God, it must be secured by His people here on Earth. The patriots of 1776 did not fight to replace the tyranny of a king with the privileges of a few or the rule of a mob. They gave to us a Republic, a government of, and by, and for the people, entrusting each generation to keep safe our founding creed.

For more than two hundred years, we have.

Through blood drawn by lash and blood drawn by sword, we learned that no union founded on the principles of liberty and equality could survive half-slave and half-free. We made ourselves anew, and vowed to move forward together.

Together, we determined that a modern economy requires railroads and highways to speed travel and commerce; schools and colleges to train our workers.

Together, we discovered that a free market only thrives when there are rules to ensure competition and fair play.

Together, we resolved that a great nation must care for the vulnerable, and protect its people from life’s worst hazards and misfortune.

Through it all, we have never relinquished our skepticism of central authority, nor have we succumbed to the fiction that all society’s ills can be cured through government alone. Our celebration of initiative and enterprise; our insistence on hard work and personal responsibility, are constants in our character.

But we have always understood that when times change, so must we; that fidelity to our founding principles requires new responses to new challenges; that preserving our individual freedoms ultimately requires collective action. For the American people can no more meet the demands of today’s world by acting alone than American soldiers could have met the forces of fascism or communism with muskets and militias. No single person can train all the math and science teachers we’ll need to equip our children for the future, or build the roads and networks and research labs that will bring new jobs and businesses to our shores. Now, more than ever, we must do these things together, as one nation, and one people.

This generation of Americans has been tested by crises that steeled our resolve and proved our resilience. A decade of war is now ending. An economic recovery has begun. America’s possibilities are limitless, for we possess all the qualities that this world without boundaries demands: youth and drive; diversity and openness; an endless capacity for risk and a gift for reinvention. My fellow Americans, we are made for this moment, and we will seize it – so long as we seize it together.

by Anonymousreply 3401/21/2013

R32 In heaven directing the festivities. Where else would she be?

by Anonymousreply 3501/21/2013

Namaste!

by Anonymousreply 3601/21/2013

For we, the people, understand that our country cannot succeed when a shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it. We believe that America’s prosperity must rest upon the broad shoulders of a rising middle class. We know that America thrives when every person can find independence and pride in their work; when the wages of honest labor liberate families from the brink of hardship. We are true to our creed when a little girl born into the bleakest poverty knows that she has the same chance to succeed as anybody else, because she is an American, she is free, and she is equal, not just in the eyes of God but also in our own.

We understand that outworn programs are inadequate to the needs of our time. We must harness new ideas and technology to remake our government, revamp our tax code, reform our schools, and empower our citizens with the skills they need to work harder, learn more, and reach higher. But while the means will change, our purpose endures: a nation that rewards the effort and determination of every single American. That is what this moment requires. That is what will give real meaning to our creed.

We, the people, still believe that every citizen deserves a basic measure of security and dignity. We must make the hard choices to reduce the cost of health care and the size of our deficit. But we reject the belief that America must choose between caring for the generation that built this country and investing in the generation that will build its future. For we remember the lessons of our past, when twilight years were spent in poverty, and parents of a child with a disability had nowhere to turn. We do not believe that in this country, freedom is reserved for the lucky, or happiness for the few. We recognize that no matter how responsibly we live our lives, any one of us, at any time, may face a job loss, or a sudden illness, or a home swept away in a terrible storm. The commitments we make to each other – through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security – these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us. They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.

We, the people, still believe that our obligations as Americans are not just to ourselves, but to all posterity. We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms. The path towards sustainable energy sources will be long and sometimes difficult. But America cannot resist this transition; we must lead it. We cannot cede to other nations the technology that will power new jobs and new industries – we must claim its promise. That is how we will maintain our economic vitality and our national treasure – our forests and waterways; our croplands and snowcapped peaks. That is how we will preserve our planet, commanded to our care by God. That’s what will lend meaning to the creed our fathers once declared.

We, the people, still believe that enduring security and lasting peace do not require perpetual war. Our brave men and women in uniform, tempered by the flames of battle, are unmatched in skill and courage. Our citizens, seared by the memory of those we have lost, know too well the price that is paid for liberty. The knowledge of their sacrifice will keep us forever vigilant against those who would do us harm. But we are also heirs to those who won the peace and not just the war, who turned sworn enemies into the surest of friends, and we must carry those lessons into this time as well.

by Anonymousreply 3701/21/2013

I liked that poem.

by Anonymousreply 3801/21/2013

Welcome, R26! THIS is truly what America is all about!!

by Anonymousreply 3901/21/2013

We will defend our people and uphold our values through strength of arms and rule of law. We will show the courage to try and resolve our differences with other nations peacefully – not because we are naïve about the dangers we face, but because engagement can more durably lift suspicion and fear. America will remain the anchor of strong alliances in every corner of the globe; and we will renew those institutions that extend our capacity to manage crisis abroad, for no one has a greater stake in a peaceful world than its most powerful nation. We will support democracy from Asia to Africa; from the Americas to the Middle East, because our interests and our conscience compel us to act on behalf of those who long for freedom. And we must be a source of hope to the poor, the sick, the marginalized, the victims of prejudice – not out of mere charity, but because peace in our time requires the constant advance of those principles that our common creed describes: tolerance and opportunity; human dignity and justice.

We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth.

It is now our generation’s task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts. Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. Our journey is not complete until no citizen is forced to wait for hours to exercise the right to vote. Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity; until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country. Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm.

That is our generation’s task – to make these words, these rights, these values – of Life, and Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness – real for every American. Being true to our founding documents does not require us to agree on every contour of life; it does not mean we will all define liberty in exactly the same way, or follow the same precise path to happiness. Progress does not compel us to settle centuries-long debates about the role of government for all time – but it does require us to act in our time.

For now decisions are upon us, and we cannot afford delay. We cannot mistake absolutism for principle, or substitute spectacle for politics, or treat name-calling as reasoned debate. We must act, knowing that our work will be imperfect. We must act, knowing that today’s victories will be only partial, and that it will be up to those who stand here in four years, and forty years, and four hundred years hence to advance the timeless spirit once conferred to us in a spare Philadelphia hall.

My fellow Americans, the oath I have sworn before you today, like the one recited by others who serve in this Capitol, was an oath to God and country, not party or faction – and we must faithfully execute that pledge during the duration of our service. But the words I spoke today are not so different from the oath that is taken each time a soldier signs up for duty, or an immigrant realizes her dream. My oath is not so different from the pledge we all make to the flag that waves above and that fills our hearts with pride.

by Anonymousreply 4001/21/2013

They are the words of citizens, and they represent our greatest hope.

You and I, as citizens, have the power to set this country’s course.

You and I, as citizens, have the obligation to shape the debates of our time – not only with the votes we cast, but with the voices we lift in defense of our most ancient values and enduring ideals.

Let each of us now embrace, with solemn duty and awesome joy, what is our lasting birthright. With common effort and common purpose, with passion and dedication, let us answer the call of history, and carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom.

Thank you, God Bless you, and may He forever bless these United States of America.

by Anonymousreply 4101/21/2013

Kelly Clarkson cannot carry a tune. Now all America knows because lots of people are home from work today.

by Anonymousreply 4201/21/2013

John Roberts was conspicuously looking at the sky and the crowd when the invocation was being done and everybody else was pretending to pray. I think he's a secret atheist!

by Anonymousreply 4301/21/2013

Bed, Bath and Beyonce is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 4401/21/2013

Beyonstage's version of the SSB cannot touch Whitney's AT ALL.

It's pretty weak, actually.

by Anonymousreply 4501/21/2013

"I think he's a secret atheist!"

A secret gay atheist.

by Anonymousreply 4601/21/2013

Nobody can touch Whitney's SB performance. Beyonce did better than I imagined.

by Anonymousreply 4701/21/2013

John Roberts with Carol Channing.

Raaaaaaaaaspberries!

by Anonymousreply 4801/21/2013

Blanco was great. Exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 4901/21/2013

Gawd, that Beyonce didn't ENTIRELY ruin The National Anthem, but she sure tried. She's ridiculous, caterwauling it up, and acting all "Vegas" and sultry. What a goofball.

by Anonymousreply 5001/21/2013

I don't think Ruth Bader Ginsburg isn't going to make it another year. She looks so very feeble, more than usual.

by Anonymousreply 5101/21/2013

How bittersweet!

The POTUS paused to turn around to see a sight he will never see again-the sight of thousands and thousands gathered for his Inaugural.

by Anonymousreply 5201/21/2013

Agree with R50

The ending with the arm extended out and up. The rendition should have been about the song and its message, not Star Beyonce. She thought she was at Grammys.

haha looked like Joe Biden was going in for a kiss but she blew right by

by Anonymousreply 5301/21/2013

Oh, and that twee poem was excruciating! I have to admit, unless you're Emily Dickenson, I despise poetry.

by Anonymousreply 5401/21/2013

It seemed like the biggest crowd roar was for Sotomayor.

by Anonymousreply 5501/21/2013

That poem started out slow but wrapped up nicely at the end.

It was nice.

by Anonymousreply 5601/21/2013

"the biggest crowd roar was for Sotomayor."

In person she has an animal-like sexual magnetism that flows over crowds over like a wave, both bathing in its warmth and overwhelming in its power.

by Anonymousreply 5701/21/2013

Mrs. Evers was by far the most radical person we've ever seen at an inaugural.

by Anonymousreply 5801/21/2013

I know this is an awful thing to say, but I really hope Malia Obama grows out of her awkward teen phase. Sasha seems to have gotten mostly her mother's features, but Malia seems to have gotten most of them from her father, and they are just a little awkward on a young girl.

Of course, Chelsea Clinton had the same problem, but we also know she was given some surgical help eventually.

I'm awful.

by Anonymousreply 5901/21/2013

I can't believe Fox is still whining about Romney and taking offence at Obama's speech.

by Anonymousreply 6001/21/2013

You've got it ass backwards R59. Malia looks like one of the Addams family and Sasha is pretty. Malia also has an arrogance about her. Her male cousin was trying to crack jokes to loosen her up and she gave him a sneer like she was nauseated having to be near him.

by Anonymousreply 6101/21/2013

"Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth."

by Anonymousreply 6201/21/2013

Fox has told you who they are. Believe them.

by Anonymousreply 6301/21/2013

Love him.

by Anonymousreply 6401/21/2013

Paul Ryan and Hillary Clinton chatting and President Clinton working the crowd. That man was born to do that; he revels in it.

by Anonymousreply 6501/21/2013

Nobody here would be stupid enough to believe Fox.

by Anonymousreply 6601/21/2013

Obama is very good at words.

by Anonymousreply 6701/21/2013

[quote]Malia looks like one of the Addams family and Sasha is pretty

I believe I described Malia as being awkward looking.

I'm just saying, to me Malia looks like their dad and Sasha looks like their mom.

by Anonymousreply 6801/21/2013

[quote]Paul Ryan and Hillary Clinton chatting and President Clinton working the crowd. That man was born to do that; he revels in it.

Apparently, Paul Ryan went up to Jay-Z to introduce himself, and Jay-Z and Beyonce both turned away.

by Anonymousreply 6901/21/2013

President Carter was practically begging for the White House to reach out more to him in the next year. He said he talks with Hillary Clinton often but not with the President.

by Anonymousreply 7001/21/2013

"Obama is very good at words."

George W. Bush is a DLer?

by Anonymousreply 7101/21/2013

C-Span is awesome. They're covering the Congressional lunch.

Oh no, MO! A silver dress?

by Anonymousreply 7201/21/2013

his was a great speech.

by Anonymousreply 7301/21/2013

Are those boots that she is wearing?

by Anonymousreply 7401/21/2013

I think the most surreal thing I've seen today was Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley sitting on Morning Joe wearing a Baltimore Ravens jersey. I know why he was wearing it, but still.

by Anonymousreply 7501/21/2013

So much better than 2009.

by Anonymousreply 7601/21/2013

When is the parade?

by Anonymousreply 7701/21/2013

I love Michelle's Inauguration wig!

by Anonymousreply 7801/21/2013

I don't like the grille on the Cadillac limo. Cadillac has no class.

by Anonymousreply 7901/21/2013

[quote] When is the parade?

Did you see the OP?

by Anonymousreply 8001/21/2013

Here's something that made me smile: Congresswomen Michelle Grisham of New Mexico, Grace Meng of New York, Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, and Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii. Grisham is Latina, Meng is Chinese, Sinema is both bisexual and an atheist, and Gabbard is Samoan, a combat veteran, and a Hindu.

It's just nice to see proof that we're moving forward as a country.

Also, Sinema and Gabbard are both total foxes.

by Anonymousreply 8101/21/2013

Love Michelle Obama, but that tatty little blue sweater over her lovely dress, and black wooly-looking tights? Hmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 8201/21/2013

Why can't Sasha just be having a bad day? There could be a million reasons she is upset. She is a teen girl, is she not?

by Anonymousreply 8301/21/2013

Any time Chris Matthews mentions JFK, take a drink.

by Anonymousreply 8401/21/2013

Boy, the Speaker is drunk.

by Anonymousreply 8501/21/2013

Product placement during the inauguration? What a goofy moment, "Come join me in looking at these beautiful vases from Lenox."

by Anonymousreply 8601/21/2013

You know who should have been invited? Jimmy Carter's grandson and the cater waiters who filmed Mitt Romney's game-changing "47%" speech! And they should have been seated at the head table!

by Anonymousreply 8701/21/2013

I know Jill Biden was a model and is still an avid runner, but man, she's got great legs.

by Anonymousreply 8801/21/2013

there are going to be unicycles!

by Anonymousreply 9001/21/2013

Hillary is looking great after her medical scare. Love her new hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 9101/21/2013

Just turned on Fox News, and they mentioned at least three times in one minute that the crowd is much smaller compared to last time.

by Anonymousreply 9201/21/2013

r82 I'm pretty sure those 'wooly-looking tights' are her boots. Our FLOTUS wears thigh high boots! No wonder Obama has such a big smile.

by Anonymousreply 9301/21/2013

Do you want Camilla Parker Biden as our next first lady?

by Anonymousreply 9401/21/2013

How does the secret service protect Obama while he walks down the street in the parade?

by Anonymousreply 9501/21/2013

Where the hell did Camilla Parker Biden come from?

by Anonymousreply 9601/21/2013

Rachel Maddow just said "aubergine"

by Anonymousreply 9701/21/2013

If the Secret Service is not planning to kill him they don't fret so much.

by Anonymousreply 9801/21/2013

I love how Obama helped Michelle with her coat. Romney would have stood there watching Ann struggle.

by Anonymousreply 9901/21/2013

R99, he learned manners from his gay nanny in Indonesia.

by Anonymousreply 10001/21/2013

I was impressed that Mrs. Boehner manages to get herself the exact shade of orange as her husband.

Also, here's FLOTUS throwing shade at him.

by Anonymousreply 10101/21/2013

He's sitting there chewing gum like a madman. Don't even start with the bullshit about how he's quit smoking.

Damn shame when the leader of the Free World has to sneak his smokes like an 8th grader.

by Anonymousreply 10201/21/2013

I'm loving this HS Band from DC.

by Anonymousreply 10301/21/2013

Why are both Obama and Biden together at the reviewing stand? I thought they kept them apart for security?

I don't mean to be a downer, but Christ, something happens there and we go to sleep tonight with President John Boehner.

by Anonymousreply 10401/21/2013

OMG with the Tuskeegee Airmen. Those guys must be 85 years old. Imagine after serving in a segregated army and what they came back to. And where they are today, who they're talking to. I'm crying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 10501/21/2013

i love you r105.

by Anonymousreply 10601/21/2013

No, R104, the next in line after Biden is Senator Patrick Leahey, President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and then Hillary Clinton. For the inauguration ceremony, Eric Shinkesi was designated to skip the event in case there is something disastrous in order to ensure continuity of government

by Anonymousreply 10701/21/2013

[quote]The commitments we make to each other – through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security – these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us. They do not make us a nation of takers;

At this moment, Mittins' head exploded!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10801/21/2013

Lesbian and gay band! Are they going to be playing some Judy classics?

by Anonymousreply 10901/21/2013

Lesbian and Gay Band Association playing "Tonight" from West Side Story.

by Anonymousreply 11001/21/2013

R107, I was wrong. It is actually Boehner! Oh no!

by Anonymousreply 11101/21/2013

Lesbian & Gay Band segue into Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 11201/21/2013

Oops. I was wrong about "Tonight." I don't know the song they're playing

by Anonymousreply 11301/21/2013

for r107, who is wrong

by Anonymousreply 11401/21/2013

The LGBA band is the largest marching band so far.

by Anonymousreply 11501/21/2013

No Della you were correct. They started with "Tonight" and went into "Edge Of Glory".

by Anonymousreply 11601/21/2013

R114, I already realized I was wrong at R111. Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 11701/21/2013

I love that gif, r101. MO is fabulous there! That's not throwing shade, Gawker is kind of lame with that title. Throwing shade is more of a verbal bashing, without the 'victim' being aware of it going on.

by Anonymousreply 11801/21/2013

Thanks, r116.

I love those sidelong glances at the reviewing stand while they're playing, dancing, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 11901/21/2013

I'm not a fan of marching bands or floats. They seem cheesy, overdone and inelegant.

by Anonymousreply 12001/21/2013

[quote]I don't mean to be a downer, but Christ, something happens there and we go to sleep tonight with President John Boehner.

No, only the Vice President can move up to President. Beyond that, the person would be "Acting President." If "something happens there" Boehner would not be President.

by Anonymousreply 12101/21/2013

I don't see MO. Did she go back to the WH to rest?

It's about time we see some American Indians!

by Anonymousreply 12201/21/2013

Puppies! Awwwww.

by Anonymousreply 12301/21/2013

Has he slipped out to take a leak since this started? I mean, he had a big lunch, and it's been hours now.

by Anonymousreply 12401/21/2013

Obama mentioned "Seneca Falls, Selma, Stonewall"!!! WOW!!!

I feel like Sally Field! He loves us! He really loves us!!

by Anonymousreply 12501/21/2013

Good thing Stonewall started with an "S"!

by Anonymousreply 12601/21/2013

I think FLOTUS and the girls went inside to change for the Inaugural Balls. They mentioned Soundgarden and .fun would be among the musicians playing tonight; I'd love to see the DC crowd reacting to that. Why did this parade start so late? It should have ended while it was still daylight.

by Anonymousreply 12701/21/2013

[quote]Why did this parade start so late?

Because the Congressional luncheon ran long, as it was almost pre-ordained to do.

by Anonymousreply 12801/21/2013

[quote] It should have ended while it was still daylight.

Why? Nighttime parades are fun, too.

by Anonymousreply 12901/21/2013

Frederica Wilson is on MSNBC looking fabulous in a mink coat and green cowboy hat.

by Anonymousreply 13001/21/2013

Anyway, have no doubt that today was the first day of the Biden 2016 campaign.

by Anonymousreply 13101/21/2013

I was half chuckling during the parade since I recall the days when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was de rigueur for inaugural parades. They'd get carted around on an enormous float and pause in front of the reviewing stand for a number. Now we have doggies.

by Anonymousreply 13201/21/2013

The New York Times assembles a Where's Waldo picture of the crowd. See if you can spot Eva Longoria.

by Anonymousreply 13301/21/2013

The Mormon Choir was featured at two inaugurals. One was for Nixon. Was the other for Johnson? At JFK's inaugural, Frank Sinatra sang "You Make Me Feel So Young."

For Ronnie's first inaugural, Nancy announced that all guests were to wear brown, black or dark blue. She wore red. Babs Bush ignored Nancy's demand and wore light blue.

by Anonymousreply 13401/21/2013

I'm surprized there isn't more whooping about Obama's shout out to the gays.

by Anonymousreply 13501/21/2013

I love that, VOTN. My hats off to whoever put that together.

by Anonymousreply 13601/21/2013

A list of the unofficial balls. Some of them sound like terrific fun:

by Anonymousreply 13701/21/2013

Michelle is apparently, above all, a Michael Kors gal. And she does look terrific in most of his stuff.

I just wish she'd lose the 3/4 sleeve sweaters. Life is not a sock hop.

by Anonymousreply 13801/21/2013

Agreed, r138. Those knit sweaters are dreadful.

Can't wait to see what she's wearing for the balls.

by Anonymousreply 13901/21/2013

[quote]The Mormon Choir was featured at two inaugurals. One was for Nixon. Was the other for Johnson? At JFK's inaugural, Frank Sinatra sang "You Make Me Feel So Young."

You should have seen what we had planned for this one.

by Anonymousreply 14001/21/2013

President Clinton apparently enjoying the view of Kelly Clarkson. His heart may be weak, but his libido is not.

by Anonymousreply 14101/21/2013

I hate Alicia Keyes. Am I alone in this?

by Anonymousreply 14201/21/2013

Did she need to have the words to the song in front of her? Maybe she needed to wear glasses and that could be the reason she sang about "Sweet land of liburdee."

by Anonymousreply 14301/21/2013

She also said this is a "monumentous" day.

by Anonymousreply 14401/21/2013

I'm starting to wonder if Kyrsten Sinema and Tulsi Gabbard have become a couple. They've been Tweeting pictures of each other all day. I get that they're both freshman Congresspeople under 40, so they have a lot in common, but Sinema is openly bisexual and Gabbard is incredibly hot.

by Anonymousreply 14501/21/2013

Let's Stay Together!

Woohoo

by Anonymousreply 14601/21/2013

MO is in gorgeous red. It's a much better choice then the off white gown she wore for the 1st Inaugural.

by Anonymousreply 14701/21/2013

Not a fan of MO's hair or dress. Very seventies and cheesy! I wish she'd worn something a bit more tailored and classic.

by Anonymousreply 14801/21/2013

It's a Jason Wu gown (again).

by Anonymousreply 14901/21/2013

Jennifer Hudson sounded awful.

Love Michelle's dress and hair

by Anonymousreply 15001/21/2013

Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys are nothing compared to the power that was Ethel Merman at Reagan's Inauguration. They had faces (and voices) then!

by Anonymousreply 15101/21/2013

Thanks, R105. My uncle was an Airman--he died last year. I wish he could have made it this time around.

by Anonymousreply 15201/21/2013

The lead singer of Fun is so cute and adorable.

by Anonymousreply 15301/21/2013

They are a vision up there. Probably the first sexy First Couple I can remember, combined with the song.

by Anonymousreply 15401/21/2013

I hope thier day is done after this appearance. They must be ready to drop from exhaustion.

by Anonymousreply 15501/21/2013

I enjoyed seeing the President and his wife dancing. It's nice to see a loving and sexual relationship displayed so naturally.

by Anonymousreply 15601/21/2013

Watching the POTUS and FLOTUS dance at the official ball no. They look beautiful (and her dress this time is an even bigger triumph than the well-received '08 dress). So glad we're not being subjected to Mitt and Ann Romney dancing to Donnie Osmond singing "Celebrate Good Times."

by Anonymousreply 15701/21/2013

After the dark years of Bush, it was refreshing to see them in 2009. Tonight, they look so comfortable, as if they've managed to banish some of that darkness with their own light.

by Anonymousreply 15801/21/2013

[quote]After the dark years of Bush, it was refreshing to see them in 2009. Tonight, they look so comfortable, as if they've managed to banish some of that darkness with their own light.

R158, THAT was poetry. Richard Castro could learn a lesson or two from you.

by Anonymousreply 15901/21/2013

At last My love has come along My lonely days are over And life is like a song

Oh yeah yeah, at last The skies above are blue My heart was wrapped up in clover The night I looked at you

And I found a dream that I could speak to A dream that I can call my own I found a thrill to press my cheek to A thrill that I have never known

Oh yeah yeah, and you smile, you smile Oh, and then the spell was cast And here we are in Heaven For you are mine at last

by Anonymousreply 16001/21/2013

Do those men know they're on camera?

by Anonymousreply 16101/21/2013

Who is Jason Wu's boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 16201/21/2013

I wanna see her shoes!!

by Anonymousreply 16301/21/2013

That is so weird to see the footage at R161 with all those people holding up their phones (and even an ipad or 2) and recording the dance.

Christ, put your toys away and enjoy the moment in real time.

by Anonymousreply 16401/21/2013

Lisa Lisa! And the Cult Jam with Full Force!!

by Anonymousreply 16501/21/2013

It would be awesome if it were Jimmy Choo.

by Anonymousreply 16601/21/2013

God how dead tired they must be!!

by Anonymousreply 16701/21/2013

I don't care for Jill Biden's gown. Perhaps it's better to see in person, but satin never fails to looks cheap on my TV screen.

by Anonymousreply 16801/21/2013

Jill Biden is a more attractive version of Camilla Parker Bowles

by Anonymousreply 16901/21/2013

[quote]put your toys away and enjoy the moment in real time.

Agree 100%

by Anonymousreply 17001/22/2013

The other good thing about being a Democrat--we get MUCH better music.

by Anonymousreply 17101/22/2013

I was glad to see that David Hall was one of the eight Citizen Co-Chairs for the Presidential Inaugural Committee.

He was on track to receive his pilot license from the Air Force until he was dis-enrolled for “homosexual conduct” in 2002 after one of his fellow cadets outed him for being gay.

by Anonymousreply 17201/22/2013

David Hall greeted by First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 17301/22/2013

Kyrsten Sinema and openly-gay California Congressman Mark Takano at the HRC ball last night.

by Anonymousreply 17401/22/2013

[quote]So glad we're not being subjected to Mitt and Ann Romney dancing to Donnie Osmond singing "Celebrate Good Times."

I had to chuckle when I read this because it's so, so true.

by Anonymousreply 17501/22/2013

All that was missing was Snookie.

by Anonymousreply 17601/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.