Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are any of you involved in the Human Rights Campaign?

Can you volunteer? What do you do? Are there volunteer jobs in Los Angeles?

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

They only want your money. It's like the AARP, they pretend to be advocates for the elderly, but really only want to sell them stuff.

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

I agree with 1, I get their spam and ignore. Money money and everything is a crisis.

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

It turned into a social event for the pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2013

Why would anyone want to volunteer for an allegedly non-profit organization when the entire organization is nothing but a bunch of blood sucking leeches intent more intent on polishing their image than doing anything substantive.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

How's the new guy handling things?

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

[quote] Are there volunteer jobs in Los Angeles?

Perhaps you would like to serve as table captain for our next dinner gala and benefit auction? We have tables with seats available from just $650 each.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

They are awful. They invited the DC chorus to perform at their inaugural ball, but are charging members if they want to stay. Tacky.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Joe Solmonese is a past president of HRC. His HRC salary package was [bold]$370,000.00[/bold] and he had a staff of more than 150 full time workers. Three years ago, the HRC had a budget of $42 million.

Last year, someone posted the following at DL:

[italic]I volunteered at HRC in the early 1990's and stopped volunteering and donating when I found out that, yes they are an audited charity, but...

the travel agency that did all their hotels and travel was owned by an HRC board member.

Huge "consulting fees" were paid to the "Triangle" Foundation which was comprised of board members of HRC,

The database and mailing agency was owned by an HRC board member and...

their percentages for overhead came out as in line because they counted a portion of those fundraising letters as an "education expense".[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

Yes. I am in the typing pool. We cannot figure out why why cannot afford a computer.

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

They really are not as bad as you make them out to be.

I work on Black Tie Dinner in Dallas. Yeah, the national gets half the haul, but they distributed over $500K to local gay organizations last month.

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

It's more of a social club for pretentious A-gays and those who aspire to be A-gays. Whenever I hear about the HRC in the news, it's always because of some fabulous banquet they put together.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

Those banquets are fundraisers.

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2013

[quote] Those banquets are fundraisers.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought they were medieval battle feasts.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

I volunteer with their Galas and Benefits Division. This year I'll be on the committee to select a keynote speaker for the next national dinner. We've whittled the list down to 6,090 straight people.

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

The Los Angeles chapter is among the worst as far as pretentious, snooty, attitude-filled pod people. Stay away. Volunteer for EQCA or Project Angel Food or other more worthwhile organizations.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.