Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Appetizer or beverage...

I have been invited to an inauguration party (not a fancy one in DC, a local one thrown by a fellow campaign volunteer), and it's from 5-7pm today. The invitation was via email and asked for regrets only. It said bring an appetizer or beverage.

What exactly should I bring? I am totally lacking in cookery skills, by the way, so suggestions for a bottle of wine or something else maybe? I'd like to make a good impression but I don't have a lot of money, and I have to work today so also don't have a lot of time.

Thanks, tasteful friends.

by Anonymousreply 2101/22/2013

A nice bottle of Chilean wine will set you back maybe 10 bucks. Go get some pre-made hummus and some pita. Cut the pita into triangles and put the hummus into your own bowl, never take in the store plastic container. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

Ginger ale

Lime sherbet

Pineapple juice

Mix and serve in a punch bowl

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

Any suggestions on which particular Chilean wine, R1?

And thanks Mom, I mean R2, for your suggestion as well.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2013

A Red Dragon cheese plate sounds lovely.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

Depends on what Chilean wine your local store carries...ask the folks in the store.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top of the hummus

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top of the hummus and add a dash of cinnamon... fake Baba ghanoush for a fake event. On the top of wine, get something thick and sweet in a box. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

Whatever you do don't add cinnamon, cumin maybe.

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

No to the cumin, try toasted pine nuts

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

Gawd, get a couple bags of interesting chips and a couple bottles of something fun, it's not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

Cumin fine, olive oil fine, pine nuts (expensive but great) cinnamon, fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2013

NOT Ring-dings and Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

Chips in a bag and no more party invites ever.

Cheap trash brings chips. What is next? Dip in a can?

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

You got it R11.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

No time for making appetizer. Just got off work and rushing to the party now. I'll stop by and just ask for a nice Chilean at about $10 and then bring two. Hope that works out okay. Thanks for helpful suggestions and also the funny ones.

Even with the Beyonce connection, R13, I wouldn't bring Ring-Dings and Pepsi.

Thanks also for the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

Pabst Blue Ribbon and Chee-tos.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

OP, how old are you that buying a bottle of wine or picking up a simple snack to share required soliciting help from the Internet? Is this your first time getting a grown-up invitation? Does Mommy usually arrange all your playdates?

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

Party went well. So glad I didn't bring an appetizer because nothing I could have concocted would have measured up to the good ones, and I didn't want to be in the leftover Hall of Shame along with the ham and cream cheese cubes.

Nobody paid much attention to what wine I had, and there were so many bottles there that they probably have no idea who brought what. There were people there from a wide range of financial means and social statuses, so I'm sure I didn't bring the cheapest thing. Whew.

In case anyone is wondering, I took a 2010 Handcraft Pinot Noir.

by Anonymousreply 1901/22/2013

[quote] I took a 2010 Handcraft Pinot Noir.

Light cherry, insipid wine. People love it with turkey.

by Anonymousreply 2001/22/2013

...glad it was fun, though!

by Anonymousreply 2101/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.