Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Appetizer or beverage...

I have been invited to an inauguration party (not a fancy one in DC, a local one thrown by a fellow campaign volunteer), and it's from 5-7pm today. The invitation was via email and asked for regrets only. It said bring an appetizer or beverage.

What exactly should I bring? I am totally lacking in cookery skills, by the way, so suggestions for a bottle of wine or something else maybe? I'd like to make a good impression but I don't have a lot of money, and I have to work today so also don't have a lot of time.

Thanks, tasteful friends.

by Anonymousreply 2101/22/2013

A nice bottle of Chilean wine will set you back maybe 10 bucks. Go get some pre-made hummus and some pita. Cut the pita into triangles and put the hummus into your own bowl, never take in the store plastic container. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2013

Ginger ale

Lime sherbet

Pineapple juice

Mix and serve in a punch bowl

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2013

Any suggestions on which particular Chilean wine, R1?

And thanks Mom, I mean R2, for your suggestion as well.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2013

A Red Dragon cheese plate sounds lovely.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

Depends on what Chilean wine your local store carries...ask the folks in the store.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top of the hummus

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top of the hummus and add a dash of cinnamon... fake Baba ghanoush for a fake event. On the top of wine, get something thick and sweet in a box. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

Whatever you do don't add cinnamon, cumin maybe.

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

No to the cumin, try toasted pine nuts

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

Gawd, get a couple bags of interesting chips and a couple bottles of something fun, it's not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

Cumin fine, olive oil fine, pine nuts (expensive but great) cinnamon, fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2013

NOT Ring-dings and Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

Chips in a bag and no more party invites ever.

Cheap trash brings chips. What is next? Dip in a can?

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

You got it R11.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

No time for making appetizer. Just got off work and rushing to the party now. I'll stop by and just ask for a nice Chilean at about $10 and then bring two. Hope that works out okay. Thanks for helpful suggestions and also the funny ones.

Even with the Beyonce connection, R13, I wouldn't bring Ring-Dings and Pepsi.

Thanks also for the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

Pabst Blue Ribbon and Chee-tos.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

OP, how old are you that buying a bottle of wine or picking up a simple snack to share required soliciting help from the Internet? Is this your first time getting a grown-up invitation? Does Mommy usually arrange all your playdates?

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

Party went well. So glad I didn't bring an appetizer because nothing I could have concocted would have measured up to the good ones, and I didn't want to be in the leftover Hall of Shame along with the ham and cream cheese cubes.

Nobody paid much attention to what wine I had, and there were so many bottles there that they probably have no idea who brought what. There were people there from a wide range of financial means and social statuses, so I'm sure I didn't bring the cheapest thing. Whew.

In case anyone is wondering, I took a 2010 Handcraft Pinot Noir.

by Anonymousreply 1901/22/2013

[quote] I took a 2010 Handcraft Pinot Noir.

Light cherry, insipid wine. People love it with turkey.

by Anonymousreply 2001/22/2013

...glad it was fun, though!

by Anonymousreply 2101/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!