Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Teenager Kills 5 People In New Mexico Shooting, Including 3 Children

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A 15-year-old boy remained in custody Sunday night as detectives tried to piece together what led to the shooting of five people, including three young children, who were found dead in a New Mexico home.

The teenager was arrested on murder and other charges in connection with the shootings, which happened Saturday night at the home in a rural area southwest of downtown Albuquerque, said Lt. Sid Covington, a Bernalillo County sheriff's spokesman.

Detectives did not immediately release the victims' names, but word of the shootings traveled quickly through the law enforcement community, and officials began offering their condolences for Greg Griego, a spiritual leader known for his work with firefighters and the 13 years he spent as a volunteer chaplain at the county jail.

"Chaplin Griego was a dedicated professional that passionately served his fellow man and the firefighters of this community," Fire Chief James Breen said in a statement. "His calming spirit and gentle nature will be greatly missed."

Jail Chief Ramon Rustin said Griego was instrumental in the creation of the Metropolitan Detention Center's chaplain program and worked to get inmates integrated back into the community.

Griego also was a former member of the pastoral staff at Calvary, a Christian church in Albuquerque. As part of his work there, he oversaw the Straight Street program for jail inmates.

Covington said detectives were working to positively identify the five victims as well as the teenager's relationship to them.

"Right now we're to the meticulous points of processing the scene and collecting physical evidence, and this is a vast scene with a lot of physical evidence," Covington said.

Authorities said each victim suffered more than one gunshot wound, and several guns were found at the home, one of which was a semi-automatic military-style rifle. Investigators were trying to determine who owned the guns.

Authorities also declined to release details of any conversation that the 15-year-old had with investigators. The teenager was booked on two counts of murder and three counts of child abuse resulting in death.

The Associated Press is withholding the suspect's name during the initial investigation because he is a juvenile.

On Sunday, a police roadblock cut off public access to the narrow dirt road that leads to the home, which is surrounded by trees and an agricultural field on one side.

Neighbors said they saw the first police cars and ambulances arrive at the home Saturday night. The road was blocked and word of the shootings began to make its way through the neighborhood.

Peter Gomez, a 54-year-old carpenter who lives about 200 yards from the home, said he had seen the family – a husband and wife and their four children – pass by many times but didn't know them personally.

"It's a horrible thing," Gomez said. "You see all this stuff that happens all over the country, the shootings in the schools and theaters, and then it happens right here. It's sad."

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

Isn't this why we all appreciate guns?

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

What's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

The kid was homeschooled by his Christian parents. He was not allowed to watch violent TV shows or allowed to watch video games. He had long had murder/suicide fantasies. All of the guns in this home with four children were unsecured.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2013

*play video games

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2013

Oh, please don't let him be....

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

His name was Nehemiah. I have a theory that Daddy was an overly strict, patriarchal christofascist and the kid snapped.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

That's what I thought, too, R6.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

And not in a well-regulated militia.

Imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

Seriously sad.

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2013

Holy shit, I'd be pissed about those ears too.

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

Was it gang related?

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

Did you bother to read, R12?

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

New Mexico homeschooled teen Nehemiah Griego accused of murdering family, planned to keep killing at local Walmart

It could have been even worse.

The New Mexico teen accused of gunning down his younger siblings, his mom and his pastor father reportedly planned on continuing his killing spree at a local Walmart.

Nehemiah Griego, 15, had loaded up his family van with "several" guns that he intended to use to slaughter customers at the nearby shopping center, the Albuquerque Journal reported Monday.

Griego hoped to die in a shootout with cops, sources told the paper. But he was talked out of the plan by a friend, who convinced him over the phone to meet him at his father’s church, the paper said.He eventually told a church security guard about the crime, and the retired cop called 911, the report said.

The motive for the horrific slayings were still unclear, but the paper said the home-schooled teen had had a "minor disagreement" with his mom Sarah Griego Friday night. He waited for her to fall asleep, and then is believed to have helped himself to his parents’ guns, including an AR-15 assault rifle and a .22 caliber pistol.They’d been kept in a closet, and not in a safe, the report said.

At around 1 a.m., the gun-toting goon crept into his mom’s room and shot her, the report said shooting woke up Griego's 9-year-old brother Zephania, who'd been in bed with the mom. Griego told the boy what he'd just done — and then shot him "multiple times," the report said. The sounds of violence roused Griego's 2- and 5-year-old sisters, Angelina and Jael, who started screaming before their big brother killed them, too.

Griego then laid in wait for his father, pastor Greg Griego, and gunned him down when he walked in around 6 a.m., the report said. The teen then called his unidentified friend and told him about his plan to continue the killing at Walmart, but the friend convinced him to go to his father’s old church, the Calvary Chapel, the paper said. While there, he reportedly told a guard his family had been killed. The guard drove the teen to Griego’s house in South Valley, and called 911 when he saw the pastor’s dead body, the report said.

Sources told the paper the teen had long had murder/suicide fantasies. Neighbors said they’d often seen Nehemiah walking around in Army fatigues. Local media said the home schooled teen wasn’t allowed to play video games, and that his family never let him watch violent shows on television. Police are expected to hold a news conference about the case Tuesday morning

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

[quote] Chaplin Griego

WTF?

He's CHAPLAIN, unless he is a follower of Charlie Chaplin.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

We need to get rid of all guns...too dangerous!

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

A lot of home-schooled kids are sexually abused by their parents (who want to keep their kids isolated so nobody finds out about their crimes). He probably snapped and killed his abuser (father), his abuser's enabler (mother) and tried to "save" his siblings from living with their demons by killing them too. Wonder how gun nut Susana Martinez is going to spin this crime...you know, since the bitch is always touting her record as a prosecutor.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

[quote] Griego's 9-year-old brother Zephania

Zephania is a guy's name? I'll bet old Zephania loved the teasing he got for his ancient biblical name (I'm assuming) that sounds like it's a girl's. Obviously very stable parents.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

Too bad he killedAngelina. She had a normal name. She might have been ok.

by Anonymousreply 1901/22/2013

I'm from Albuquerque, and the South Valley is never a nice place.

by Anonymousreply 2001/22/2013

Dear Abby,

My family is crazy. My parents are religious nuts who keep us at home and won't let us go to school. We can't play video games or watch any tv except DVDs our parents pick out. They also gave most of us crazy names that sound equally like biblical names and space alien names. We live at the end of a narrow dirt road and don't speak to or acknowledge our neighbors. My dad doesn't really have a job. He used to kind of flit around this church but now he doesn't anymore. I wonder why.

He has a "job" as a fire department chaplain, which as you know is unpaid.

We have lots of guns in the house. We have assault weapons.

My question is, would it be appropriate to kill them for all the craziness they put me through? If I kill my parents, I'll have to kill my siblings as well. Then I would also have to die. I was thinking of shooting a lot of people at Walmart and then cops will come in and shot me. This way, I won't have to commit the sin of suicide.

I don't have much experience with the outside world and its mores and social behavior. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

NG

by Anonymousreply 2201/22/2013

The problem with home schooled kids is that they don't have any social instincts to deal with other people properly. Thus, they get upset if people disagree with them, or can't handle being told that they are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2301/22/2013

His girlfriend is a 12 year old. She may be facing charges now.

by Anonymousreply 2401/22/2013

A Walmart massacre would have been just desserts.

by Anonymousreply 2501/22/2013

If only those little kids had guns all of this could have been avoided.

by Anonymousreply 2601/22/2013

I'm from Alb and I'm surprised by the facebook comments on KOB TV page about this shooting. I thought NM was a liberal state but most of the comments are from right wing gun nuts in fear of losing their assault weapons. While they condemn the kid, they act like Obama is knocking down their doors already.

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.