Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question for British posters about the quality of some continuing dramas.

Are shows like EastEnders and Coronation Street considered quality programming? I've been watching EE here in the US for the past 20 years (we're around 10 years behind, I think at the tail end of the Louise Berridge era), and even though the quality has faltered, it still seems heads and tails above any scripted drama we have here in the states. So what's the general consensus in Britain about these shows? Quality or trash? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

They're soap operas. Maybe higher quality than US soops, but hardly "Breaking Bad" or "The Wire", are they?

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

There's a difference between US/UK soaps. UK soaps equal US nighttime dramas, not daytime. The UK 'soaps' are pure trash, and they're extremely popular. The UK cannot compete in the drama department, which is why they mostly view American series by the truckload today.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

Think Dynasty or Dallas with less money and better writing.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

R1, they are NOT higher quality than U.S soaps

[quote] even though the quality has faltered, it still seems heads and tails above any scripted drama we have here in the states

I don't know what you are watching but we have some fantastic dramas in the U.S. Mad Men and Breaking Bad are just two fabulous dramas that beat Eastenders

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

"You can't tell me what to do, YOU AIN'T MY MOTHER!"

"YES I AM!"

Duff duff... duff duff duff duff duff...

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.