Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Straight guys and their OCD love for sports.

They all seem to live and breathe sports. For many of them, it's almost an obsession. I don't know...I just don't get it. It's totally lost on me.

It home tonight in the gym. They had some football game going on the monitors and this one straight guy I'm sort of acquainted started talking to me about the game. UGH!...I usually freeze and get all tensed up when the topic turns to sports. He talked about different types of plays and I was just nodding in agreement. At some point, I had to tell him that I don't really follow football. He then asked, "so what's your sport?" as if having an X chromosome means that I simply MUST have some outrageously obsessive interest in some sport. I replied that I really don't follow any sports. The look on his face was priceless, almost delicious, looking at me as if I had three heads with three eyes on each of them. He paused and with an incredulous tone asked "oh, really." He then went back to working out.

I just never got into sports. I'm a reasonably masculine guy, so it's assumed that I'm straight and consequently into sports. But I'm not. So can someone PLEASE explain the rabid, fanatical appeal on the part of the straight male?

by Anonymousreply 14010/20/2014

No clue. Anything sports related is almost completely lost on me. It's just not on my radar. I hate it when guys ask me who my team is. I have pat answers depending on the sport they're talking about but even then I'm being dishonest since I really don't give one shit about any sport.

It's weird the level of investment some people have in these teams and players and how personally betrayed they can feel when someone leaves a team or a team starts losing. I honestly can't relate it to anything that does interest me. Maybe politics to a degree. I guess I just don't have much of a competetive nature so games don't capture my attention.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

Sports are retarded. Don't be ashamed not to follow them, OP and R1... They are the happiness of lesser minds.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

Deep down, we're still pack animals. I think sports fulfill some need for men to compete within the pack for status, and to compete against other groups for territory.

And I do mean "men", territorial instincts are stronger in males than in females, in lots of animal species.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

I'm always amazed to discover that some gay men I meet do follow sports, but they're out there. Mostly they seem to be college sports fans.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

Well, there is a gay equivelancy here.

Look at these tired, lonly old queens on DL going on about Gwyneth Paltro, AnnE Hathaway, Golden Globes, OScars, anything Broadway----and how do you explain away JANBOT and GAGABOT on this site?

The Queens here write as if they were living next door to these celebrities and had a dog in the race.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

I had the football game on the telly and I was live-streaming the Mavericks Invitational Surfing competition on my computer. What does liking sports or not liking sports have to do with being gay?

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

[R5] What he said. If Joan Crawface and Bette Fuckhead mud wrestled who would get the pig.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

Sports is not just for straight men OP.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

[quote]He then asked, "so what's your sport?" as if having an X chromosome means that I simply MUST have some outrageously obsessive interest in some sport.

Everybody, male or female, has an X chromosome.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

It's all about their latent homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

Good Lord, you missed a great opportunity!! When he asked you what's your sport, why not respond:

1) Synchronized Swimming 2) Broadway Musical Showstoppers 3) Gymnastics 4) Ice Dancing 5) Bear Hunting

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

6) College Wrestling

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

R11 is on the right track.

"I'm into water sports."

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

Most sports fans don't bug me, except for the ones who speak of their team's accomplishments in the first person. "[italic]We[/italic] played a great game last night. [italic]Coach[/italic] said he was really proud of [italic]us.[/italic]" And all I want to say is, "Who the fuck is 'we'? How many minutes did you play last night? Was 'Coach' proud of the way you ate those chips on the couch during the game? Did you have to get in the whirlpool to soak your arm after opening all those beers?"

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

I envied the way my jock older brother and father would talk about sports. They knew all the players stats and poured over the sports page every day. It's a bonding thing, for sure.

I think it's cute and admire their passion for their specific sports and teams. But there is not one molecule in me that has any interest in it.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

Sports are like the Oscars for straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

Carl Sagan (my dead crush) had a great theory. It's so obvious when you think of it.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

At work, I just say, "I don't know what you're talking about." It has eventually turned into a joke. It's all done in sort of a deadpan delivery at a time when they are focussing intently on the subject. They just laugbh at me, with me, whatever; it's all said in fun.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

I'm a huge sports fan (and gay male) and have talked about on the DL many times. Here's my take:

1. I was great at sports as a kid, and I loved playing them. I traveled for games, felt the thrill of winning, met great friends, and was praised for my accomplishments on the field. So I have a very positive connotation with sports. That feeling remains today. I find that most people that HATE sports had negative experiences playing Little League (or whatever) as a child. This might also be why many gay men loathe sports.

2. Most men have a drive to compete and win as an evolutionary imperative. Sports serve as a proxy to satisfy that need in our modern times. We don't need to be the biggest, baddest, strongest to survive anymore, but we are still fascinated by those that are. I find many men who don't like sports are competitive in other areas in their life. Instead of transferring the need to compete on the field of sporting play, the do it with shopping or theater or bitchery!

3. I love stats and history, and most sports are a perfect match for someone who loves those two constructs. History and stats need constant updates and this makes the game fluid and in constant need of attention. Sports can be both traditional (ie rules tend to never change, current greats must compete against past greats, etc) and progressive (ie records were made to broken, so the game is always exciting from the prospective). This gives the games more weight than simply who won or lost. It has more gravitas. I find most people who think of sports as mildly entertaining at best, also find the history of the game, including the importance of stats, to be mostly uninteresting as well.

4. Sports serves as a unique opportunity for straight men to bond in a way society doesn't otherwise allow. They get to cry, yell, cheer, FEEL for something other than a wife or child, and they get to do it with another man. Women and gay men get to do this all the time. Straight men don't.

by Anonymousreply 1901/21/2013

"Religion is the opium of the masses" Karl Marx. Substitute Sports for Religion and bingo!

I'm a gay sports fan but I recognize it's only value to me is as a distraction from my own day-to-day problems: whatever it is in your real life you are dealing with (dead-end job or relationship), obsessing about "your" team is like a mental vacation from that.

For straight men it's a shorthand way to communicate with each other without the need to overtly express emotions - it's all in the sub-text with men. For many of them that is a relief from the constant pressure to communicate with their partners.

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2013

Straight men are not complicated. They are the polar opposite of women. You waste your time if you try to read any meaning whatsoever into what they do: food, pussy, sleep.

by Anonymousreply 2101/21/2013

r21, you're totally generalizing. I think many guys are more complex than that. Do you even know any straight guys?

by Anonymousreply 2201/21/2013

I'm a gay guy who loves sports. College, pro, football, basketball, baseball- always have ESPN on and never miss Around the Horn and PTI.

I always find it weird when guys, gay or straight, don't like sports. They're so exciting and you get so emotionally involved that I don't get what's not to like. Still, if it's not your thing so be it, but why act so shocked when a gay guy does like sports? What's the logic behind sports being a "straights only" field of interest?

by Anonymousreply 2301/21/2013

"They're so exciting and you get so emotionally involved"

You may get "so emotionally involved", but I don't. Seeing someone else play a game, unless the person is a close friend or family member, doesn't get me emotionally involved at all. I'm happy for you that you can enjoy it, but I don't understand why you think it's "weird" that I don't.

by Anonymousreply 2401/21/2013

I'm a gay man who admittedly never really cared for sports at all. I used to feel compelled to lie and fake it whenever asked about sports, or whenever a sports-related conversation came up between me and one or more people. Things have somewhat changed, however. I work with people who are football fanatics (mostly women, by the way), and their enthusiasm for it is so infectious that I've sort of become a moderate fan by proxy. I can now hold a moderate conversation about football without feeling like I'm totally faking it, and whenever my hometown team is on TV, I can watch the game without being bored to tears. And, as a bonus, I get to watch all the hot guys run around and tackle each other.

Baseball and basketball are another matter altogether though. They both are the equivalent to watching paint dry (although baseball has some of the hottest men in sports).

by Anonymousreply 2501/21/2013

I grew up rooting for certain teams because of my father. I have strong emotional attachments since childhood, and like another poster mentioned learning stats, history, etc from him.

Throughout high school and college I would get together with friends and watch sports. I've been rooting for the same teams for almost 20 years now. That's a lot of time to grow emotionally attached to a franchise, even if they suck for a decade. Watching sports is a very communal activity. Of course I can get pretty worked up watching a game alone in my apartment, but it's so much better with friends, at a bar or at a game.

I guess I think it's "weird" when someone can't go to a baseball with friends or co-workers and not have a good time. Maybe this is a wrong way of thinking about it, but I think must people who don't like sports just haven't given them enough of a chance.

I used to hate tennis, and it wasn't until a friend sat down with me and had me watch an entire US Open that I gained an appreciation for the sport. Now I'm hooked. I think it takes following a team for an entire season to really get bitten by the sports bug.

by Anonymousreply 2601/21/2013

It took years but I finally had a gay friend who is a total baseball junkie. Watched the games, traveled to baseball stadiums around the country with his partner, can recite statistics for days. He is a native New Yorker and it all grew out of the geographic identification. For a lot of people it is the geographic connection, growing up rooting for whatever hometeam in whatever sport (usually what was important to their fathers).

by Anonymousreply 2701/21/2013

I'm genuinely curious if it isn't something in the hardwiring. To appreciate sport you have to have a mindset for statistics, for memorization of rules and positions and history... my brain never developed that way. I can look at a painting for an hour, but I can't watch a football game for too long without my mind wandering.

by Anonymousreply 2801/21/2013

"I guess I think it's "weird" when someone can't go to a baseball with friends or co-workers and not have a good time. Maybe this is a wrong way of thinking about it, but I think must people who don't like sports just haven't given them enough of a chance"

Never said i couldn't have a good time at a game. I enjoy the camaraderie, the beer, the weather, the hotties. Just don't get into the game. And I've given it plenty of chances. But I don't find people "weird" if they don't view things the way I do.

by Anonymousreply 2901/21/2013

Let's not forget too, that there are a bunch of self-loathers who feign interest (to the point of learning about the players and immersing themselves the games) in order to gain the validation of straight guys and not be deemed a sissy.

by Anonymousreply 3001/21/2013

Well, R28, I can tell you who won Oscars in the acting categories since forever because I've been watching the Oscars for years. I can tell you who I think should have won and, in some years, who didn't get nominated and should have been nominated. Some people do the same with sports. and in both you're talking about people who are actually doing something and we're the spectators.

by Anonymousreply 3101/21/2013

Add me to the list of gay guys who find sports bizarre. I can feel sympathy on some level, since I love reading fiction and poetry (two potentially 'bizarre' endeavors). However, these are intellectual activities, and sports are generally (yes, there can be exceptions) not. When I discuss poetry and fiction with others, I experience an exchange of ideas. When I see straight men discuss sports with each other, I see a lot of grunting and scratching.

by Anonymousreply 3201/21/2013

To the guys who don't like sports, were you also bad at playing them? I only ask because that's a theory of mine: Men, straight or gay, who were not athletic, and maybe even were teased as a result, often grow up to dislike a sport that was at root cause of feelings of lack as children.

by Anonymousreply 3301/21/2013

I'm not sure it works that way, R33, although it may be true for team sports. I used to play tennis very well as a teen, even winning medals and trophies in competitions. I don't particularly love watching tennis, though - and my discussion of it is limited to players' bodies and their sexualities. I can definitely understand playing tennis, but watching it can seem silly.

by Anonymousreply 3401/21/2013

R33, I thought it went without saying that those who suck at sports (myself included) also hate watching them and fail to comprehend other people's interest in them.

I hate sports so much, I pray that the team in my city that frequently goes to the World Series/Superbowl/Stanley Cup, whatever, loses games during the season so I don't have to put up with the way everything closes down when they're in such a final competition.

I type the team name into the Google box and I get the score throughout the game without having to turn on the TV (this is a *true* wonder of the internet). I get so excited when I know they're losing, I can almost -- but only almost -- get why someone would be excited that their winning. It's an opportunity to get my way without really having to do anything.

Thankfully, the team in the city where I live -- no, I would never say *my* team -- is not going to be in the championship for its sport, so I will be able to eat out that night if I want to do so.

Sports: the worst thing in the world that's not Hitler or Pat Robertson and their ilk.

by Anonymousreply 3501/21/2013

"they're winning" ^ in R35

by Anonymousreply 3601/21/2013

I have always enjoyed playing a variety of sports, but with few exceptions I don't enjoy watching. The spectator aspect doesn't appeal to me.

by Anonymousreply 3701/21/2013

R33 I never played a team sport and sucked at athletics, but even as a child watching sports or listening to people discuss them had no appeal for me. Something about it just doesn't register for me.

by Anonymousreply 3801/21/2013

I was very coordinated as a kid and did well in sports. It was OK playing them, but I didn't continue sports into adulthood, except running and going to the gym. I never had any interest in watching sports.

I think the attitude of one's family of origin plays into this. Both my parents were born outside the USA and were completely uninterested in televised sports. My dad would play a little tennis and sail--nothing else. He was only interested in playing tennis, not watching it.

I was amazed when I went to college and met people who watched tons of televised sports. In my family, if we saw the Olympics or Monday Night Football or any kind of televised sports, we changed the channel asap.

by Anonymousreply 3901/21/2013

So there's an obvious correlation. I guess it's why I find Project Runway to be an utter bore. I hate fashion, can't sew, have no interest in any of it. Thus, it's boring as hell to me. So, if you hated sports as a kid, weren't good at them, of course you would hate it as an adult. However, that doesn't mean sports aren't great for those of us that love them, just like PR is great for those of us that love fashion and have an affinity for sewing, design, etc.

So, maybe gays who hate sports shouldn't judge gays or straights who love sports. It's just a very simple case of different strokes for different folks.

by Anonymousreply 4001/21/2013

"Sports are like the Oscars for straight guys."

So does that suggest that Figure Skating is like the Outies for gay men?

by Anonymousreply 4101/21/2013

That isn't actually what some of us said, R40. You are selecting data to fit your hypothesis.

by Anonymousreply 4201/21/2013

In fact, R40, out of the 5 people to say to you that they don't like watching and discussing sports, only 2 never liked playing sports. There is not necessarily a correlation at all...

by Anonymousreply 4301/21/2013

I like watching any kind of competition just for the drama of it, but rooting for a team? At the end of the day it's rooting for a corporation which seems kind of stupid. There's so much money involved in buying talent that it's taken the fun out. It's like wearing a Burger King uniform and cheering for the company to do really well.

by Anonymousreply 4401/21/2013

R40, it was actually a sport lover above who said gays who don't love sports are "weird". So maybe your talk about judging should be directed that way, too.

by Anonymousreply 4501/21/2013

I think the stronger correlation has been with families/fathers/environments that fostered watching and obsessing over sports teams.

Also the geography thing is important. It's easier to be obsessed with college basketball growing up in Indiana or watch every Mets game being raised in Queens.

by Anonymousreply 4601/21/2013

"So, if you hated sports as a kid, weren't good at them, of course you would hate it as an adult"

I know plenty of unathletic heterosexual men and women who love watching "their team" play football or baseball or whatever

by Anonymousreply 4701/21/2013

Stick to needlepoint and Judy Garland, then.

Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 4801/21/2013

Okay, guys. Calm down. It's a personal theory, not a peer reviewed case study. Fine. Gay guys who don't like sports probably all excelled at them, but shun them later in life as a protest against, um, who knows? You guys tell me. And don't say because it's stupid, barbaric, lame or some other weak excuse. It may be stupid, barbaric, lame to you, but that vast majority of men disagree. There has to be some other correlation...

I actually find it fascinating, the divide, and was trying to better understand both sides of the equation.

by Anonymousreply 4901/21/2013

Last picked for the team leaves painful marks.

But that doesn't mean you turn around and be the bully.

by Anonymousreply 5001/21/2013

If we want to be honest here, I think it's obvious that many gay men have feminized brains that lead to pursuit of more typically female hobbies and interests. Nothing abnormal about that all. I'm the OP of this thread, and I count myself among these types of guys. I have zero interest in sports and feel much more comfortable discussing the Kardashians or some other stupid topic with the girls in the office than spending time with the straight guys. Growing up it always bothered me that I wasn't as aggressive and rowdy as the other kids. I was definitely different, and was cognizant of it. That was something I really needed to deal with when I came out years ago, and I came to realize that there's nothing wrong with not having typically masculine interests or not being the most masculine guy in the room.

by Anonymousreply 5101/21/2013

So why malign people who have other interests?

by Anonymousreply 5201/21/2013

"So why malign people who have other interests?"

I don't know, why do straight men and self-loathing gays spend so much time maligning effeminate men?

"Last picked for the team leaves painful marks."

Stereotype, much?

by Anonymousreply 5301/21/2013

That called making a point.

Idiot, much?

by Anonymousreply 5401/21/2013

"Idiot, much?"

Look who's talking.

by Anonymousreply 5501/21/2013

I'm looking, that's why I asked the question.

by Anonymousreply 5601/21/2013

Who knew sports fans are so sensitive?

The word "fans" is derived from "fanatics," which was introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired." (Etymology from Wikipedia).

I know people who can watch a game without becoming so emotionally involved that's all they can talk about afterward.

by Anonymousreply 5701/21/2013

Sports fans, movie fans, theater fans--no difference.

by Anonymousreply 5801/21/2013

True, R58.

by Anonymousreply 5901/21/2013

I don't think that's true, R58. A sporting event is first and foremost a competition.

The creation of a movie, play, or other work of art is a way to express ideas about our life in this world. Sure, artists get prizes and recognition, but art is concerned with the communication of ideas and emotions, not competition.

by Anonymousreply 6001/21/2013

Not necessarily R60. For the participants for a sporting event it is first and foremost a job/paycheck, or a tryout for a such a job if we're talking college sports. After that it's a competition, and for the spectator it's usually first and foremost entertainment.

Movies and plays can be works of art that communicate ideas, emotions, etc, but they can also be purely made for entertainment as well. I don't know how many emotions and ideas were communicated in The Hangover or even Anything Goes.

I watch sports to be entertained, plain and simple. Plus it's something to do with friends and family. It's social. Just like others in another thread mentioned how they got together to watch Dynasty every week, I like to get together with my friends and watch Monday Night Football.

by Anonymousreply 6101/21/2013

Many straight women like sports too.

by Anonymousreply 6201/22/2013

I've enjoyed white-water rafting a few times so if some guy wants to know what sport I'm into, I say w-w rafting and that's something they rarely can talk about. I've also done a lot of hiking in the Alps and Andes, so I sometimes say mountaineering. Fans of ball sports usually back away from talking about rafting and mountaineering since it's beyond their scope.

by Anonymousreply 6301/22/2013

" I thought it went without saying that those who suck at sports (myself included) also hate watching them"

Plenty of straight guys suck at sports, but still continue to think that sports are important. They act like intense interest in sports will allow them to absorb alpha-male characteristics from the atheletes.

I still think team sports are a sublimation of male territorial instincts. A team representing a geographical area battles a team from another geographical area, and they fight for dominance. In football, they literally fight for territory.

by Anonymousreply 6401/22/2013

R19: I know what my negative experience was. Little League practice started in late March and after it got dark.

So it wasn't just that it was colder than a witches tit in a brass bra, but that it was also fucking pitch black outside.

Sorry - when they start having games in reasonable weather with a little light then I might have taken it up.

Instead I got good at stuff like biking, shooting, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6501/22/2013

[quote]Fans of ball sports usually back away from talking about rafting and mountaineering since it's beyond their scope.

I think you're going to have to search a bit to find someone interested in Mountaineering in general.

by Anonymousreply 6601/22/2013

I'm not searching for anyone to discuss Mountaineering. It's something I can mention when some guy with OCD love for sports wants to talk football. It lets him know that he's not an expert in all types of sports. It indicates that my mind isn't on Judy Garland 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 6701/22/2013

67 posts an no one's mentioned the elephant in the living room?

Straight guys love sports because they gamble on them. They bet, they enter pools, and they have fantasy teams.

by Anonymousreply 6801/22/2013

It would be fine but the boring fucks insist that's what all real men should be into. If you're not into sports what kind of man are you? The question should be, "What kind of man are you if all you do is watch sports?"

by Anonymousreply 6901/22/2013

Really R67 that sounds a little defensive--and insecure. The guy's not necessarily trying to prove anything by sharing his passion. Not sure why you have to knock him down a peg, or why you feel the need to show you're "masculine" too. Sounds like a personal issue.

by Anonymousreply 7001/23/2013

It's a male soap opera. I have very little interest in NFL football, but I love to read the sports pages for the stories.

It's no shock to anyone who even casually follows sports that this Notre Dame player and his fake girlfriend was so completely accepted by the press without the slightest bit of fact checking.

Instead of Notre Dame, pretend he was playing for the Pine Valley Wildcats, and this whole thing is right out of All My Children. I'm half expecting him to meet the girl who had her photos stolen and used in this fiction and actually fall in love with her--that's the Pine Valley way.

by Anonymousreply 7101/23/2013

Scratch beneath a surface enthusiasm and there's a half-heartedness in many straight men's appreciation of sports that I always chalked up to a desire to identify with the trappings of one's own tribe on the one hand and, on the other, to assert a space apart from the female world.

Sports are a retreat from mothers and sisters and the wife and the kids and the wife's friends and her projects and sometimes her claim to every room in the house (the husband pushed out of his own house by ruffles and scrapbooking and shoe closets and cosmetics cluttering every sink...banished to do his stinky man things out in the garage, in the four feet of space between the front bumper of the car and a wall that separates the kitchen and the house as the Woman's Sphere and the garage and lawnmowers and car as the Man's Sphere.) Of course that's an intellectually and in many ways practically antiquated (and ridiculous) notion, but one that sees large numbers of people adhering to aspects of it, even in unexpected ways.

Sports are a place apart, a guise under which men assume or are granted a degree of separation and autonomy. From "golf widows" to poker nights as boys' nights out to flying off on stag-cations to some big football game, it's a place where some men enjoy the break of operating under their own rules apart from the structure and rules of work, apart from the structure and rules of women and women's realms. It's a place to piss in the sink instead of remembering to put the seat of the toilet up and down at the right times. As male kids and young adults, it's bonding time; but its real importance comes in later a legitimate excuse for a bit of an escape.

by Anonymousreply 7201/23/2013

[quote]Really R67 that sounds a little defensive--and insecure. The guy's not necessarily trying to prove anything by sharing his passion. Not sure why you have to knock him down a peg, or why you feel the need to show you're "masculine" too. Sounds like a personal issue.

Need? Where do you get that?

If two people are having a friendly discussion that includes sports, why shouldn't both be able to mention the sport of their interest? The mention of mountaineering, while not knowing about football, simply evens a sports discussion when two individuals have specific sport interests.

Why do you have the need to create drama, r70? Is it because you are unable to discuss anything beyond your Madame Alexander dolls so you attempt to inject drama into all other discussions? Sounds like you have issues because you grew up unable to discuss any aspect of sports with your peers.

by Anonymousreply 7301/23/2013

Some sports like football and hockey are brutal and kind of turn me off. (Hockey need not be so brutal.)

But I love sports in general. Athletic contest (drama), athletes (need I explain) and of course I admire the skill. I am a rabid tennis fan all my life. I watch the Tennis Channel all the time. I am also a player. And I love to ski. So I guess I am an athlete (I am expert at both, since a kid.)

Gay men have their equivalents OP. Others on this thread have pointed them out. Relax OP and let people enjoy themselves. I don't know why some people are rabid about theatre in NYC. I would much rather go to a good movie for a fraction of the price. But for those who enjoy theatre- more power to you.

Let people enjoy what brings them joy. Should not be so hard to identify OP. I hope you like some form of entertainment and activity- it's all the same thing; different tastes and sensitivities.

by Anonymousreply 7401/23/2013

OP, It must be a pleasure working out next to you. I understand that a lot of people don't want to be bothered whilst at the gym, but the guy was just trying to be friendly!

I love sports, btw. Rugby, football, and baseball are my favorites. Used to play baseball and tennis.

by Anonymousreply 7501/23/2013

R73 you're digging yourself deeper, truly. Your first paragraph reinforces your first post, and my assertion (who the hell needs to "even" a discussion???). Your second paragraph is classic projection. Classic.

I don't know anything about Madame Alexander dolls (but I'm sure you do).

I *do* know that the Niners beat some Packer ass (sorry, Della). Knocked some Matty choke-ass Ryan in his ass, and will beat the Ravens in two weeks (although I like the Ravens--and I actually like Ray-"I'm redeemed although I have four baby-mamas"-Lewis).

Charlie's post makes a lot of sense. If you have an issue with someone else's passion that might happen to be sports, you have some serious issues beyond sports.

by Anonymousreply 7601/23/2013

[quote]Your second paragraph is classic projection.

Heh! It was meant to be a projection since it matches your projection about my "need." Glad you picked up on that, r76. I see my mention of your doll collection created your need to highlight an interest in football. That's so butch!!!!!!

As far as "who the hell needs to 'even' a discussion???," no doubt you can't comprehend that a discussion involves input from two or more people and it's nice to get more than one person's viewpoint. It's called sharing.

by Anonymousreply 7701/23/2013

Get some help, R77.

Must be a shame not to be comfortable in your own skin.

by Anonymousreply 7801/23/2013

R22 Please. I'm older than dirt. Do you think I would write something like that had I not known thousands, had hundreds?

by Anonymousreply 7901/24/2013

Those hundreds weren't straight.

by Anonymousreply 8001/24/2013

I like watching football. Always have. More college than pro, but I enjoy some pro games. My bf loves to watch Premiere League Soccer and Barcelona and Real Madrid as well as hockey. I am not into it, but both are fine if I have a book because not much happens and when it does, there's always about 5 replays.

I rarely played sports growing up and I would never stay home to watch a game (well, Superbowl but who doesn't) if there was something else I wanted to do, but straights don't have the monopoly on enjoying sports

by Anonymousreply 8101/24/2013

It's a nice neutral topic for people over which people can bond. In the olden days, discussions of sex, religion and politics were verboten in most clubs, etc, so men talked sports.

As for mountaineering vs football or whatever, the main jist of sports talk is how an athlete or team is doing in competition. If you wish to discuss mountaineering with general sports fans, it should be in terms of this "winning." For example, you have your eye on a peak that has only been recently conquered. You can talk about the problems people have getting to the top, or more, getting back down. Or, you can talk about last spring's Everest season and how the various people and groups "won or lost" in their quest for the top.

In those terms, the sports guys will be fascinated.

by Anonymousreply 8201/24/2013

OP and others are the type of gays that love to perpetuate archaic stereotypes about gay men. If you don't personally like sports, so be it. You are allowed to be different than most guys. But you should not try to make your individual preference into some type of badge of gayness. It is not. It's your choice and interest. A lot of bisexual and gay dudes love sports. In fact, my best gay male friend watches ESPN almost to the exclusion of any other channel. I know of other gay dudes that wear football jerseys, go to sports bars, and talk about sports more than your average straight dude. Sports is an integral part of our culture, regardless of sexual orientation. Stop perpetuating stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 8301/24/2013

My Dad was straight -- sports bored him.

by Anonymousreply 8401/24/2013

[R10] I agree with you. It's a way of being homosocial without necessarily being homosexual. The desire is sublimated through male-bonding. I dont know about you guys but I love anything having to do with jockstraps and lycra.

by Anonymousreply 8501/24/2013

I Love This Game!

by Anonymousreply 8601/24/2013

R80 That debate goes on forever. I do contend there are PA-lenty of perfectly boring straight men who settle quite happily for a blow job from a gay man than go to the bother of arranging/proposing/suggesting/hoping-for/waiting-for/pleading-for a fuck with a woman.

More importantly, the straighter they are, the less they worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 8701/25/2013

I hate football therefore I'm ostracized at family gatherings.

I love baseball but keep it to myself.

by Anonymousreply 8801/25/2013

After reading many of the posts I am coming away with the impression that this sort of thing always creates a "swirl" of somewhat heated tug-of-war discussion pro or con about sports. If men, gay or straight, who enjoy sports so much to the point of it being religious, want to proselytize it so much and seem to "feel others out" especially other men based upon their like or dislike of sports, didn't immediatly try shutting out and belittling someone because they don't share his viewpoint, then alot of the tension that really starts in grade school would be greatly diminished. I dislike sports and find them utterly boring, except for the smacks to the ass. I recall when I was about 5 or 6 I asked my grandfather, who was watching a baseball game, what he was watching and what it meant. His lame reply was just to watch it and you'll get the hang of it. The answer puzzled me then and at 58 puzzles me to this day. I agree that many men use sports as their "badge of courage" almost as scoundrels find excessive patriotism their "last refuge" to paraphrase the famous quote. I think the guy who questioned OP was sort of feeling him out, once he got his answer that "I don't follow sports very much" he pretty much had OP "sussed" as the British say, for whatever reason, who knows? I will say this, many straight men are not honest with themselves and others about alot of things, sexual orientation and "passion" about sports included. Gay men, although they may lie about some things, NEVER lie about their sexual orientation or, if they don't like sports, will say so if pressed about it as OP did honestly. I agree also that there is something odd about memorizing scores, players height, weight, being traded from Blah team to Ska team etc. and even engaging in heated discussion with other men about it.

by Anonymousreply 8901/25/2013

Wow. R89. What to waste an entire block of written space. You could have just said: I don't like sports.

by Anonymousreply 9001/25/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 9101/25/2013

you loathe it so much that you frequent and post on datalounge? you're biggest queen of all. gurl it was just a question, calm down. you're way too serious.

by Anonymousreply 9201/25/2013

The gay men and lesbians I know who watch sports often have the geographic loyalty thing going. It's not just they like baseball but they love the team in Cleveland, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9301/25/2013

It is indeed quite possible to be extremely gay (I am) and LOVE sports (I do.) Plus, you can secretley get just a wee bit more pleasure out of it than the straight dudes laughin' and scratchin' all around you. Those fine butts.

by Anonymousreply 9402/06/2013

I love sports. I wish more gay men would give sports spectating a try, but the resistance is strong-- it's clearly not just disinterest, but resentment.

It's a shame because I absolutely believe that if there was some willingness to engage, they (gay men who don't understand and / or hate sports) would start to get what makes sports so thoroughly entertaining and exciting. Moreover, they would stop feeling left out at work and at other gatherings where sports talk is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 9502/06/2013

I'm on the femme side, r95, and honestly, honey, even if I could feign interest, I'd look and sound ridiculous discussing field goals, touchdowns, and the like. Seriously, my voice and gestures are more condusive to discussing Bethenny Frankel and soap studs. That's just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 9602/06/2013

R95 Sports suck. There is no such thing as

[quote]gay men who don't understand and/or hate sports would start to get what makes sports so thoroughly entertaining and exciting.

Because literally, nothing is more thoroughly boring and sleep-inducing than a (fill in the blank) ___________ game.

If you really believe

[quote]gay men who don't understand and/or hate sports) would start to get what makes sports so thoroughly entertaining and exciting,

then you need a mental checkup.

by Anonymousreply 9702/06/2013

so fucking defensive, r97. note: you will never, ever, ever make someone feel bad about being a sports fan. ain't gonna happen.

hurl whatever insults you want at me and sports fans more generally, but all you achieve is your own marginalization, further confirming how unlike a man you are. perhaps i need a mental checkup. perhaps you need some testosterone... and a mental checkup. you can go back to playing with the girls now.

by Anonymousreply 9802/06/2013

R98 = proud masculine moron

by Anonymousreply 9902/06/2013

We've been over this before. Many gay men have feminized brains, which influence speaking patterns, body gestures, hobbies, and likes/dislikes. You'd have to be stupid not to realize that.

by Anonymousreply 10002/06/2013

What R100 said.

by Anonymousreply 10102/06/2013

R95, I've worked live TV for sports for the last 15 years and have no more interest in it now than before I started. It's a job. I just can't get interested or excited about any of it. Doesn't matter if it's football, basketball, boxing, NASCAR. Even the Olympics bores me. There's no resentment. I've just accepted that whatever part of the brain gets you excited about sports doesn't function in mine.

by Anonymousreply 10202/06/2013

Awesome! We have concluded that some gay men love sports, some don't.

Those with a more feminized brain and/or those that have poor childhood memories of sports and/or those that find it boring don't like sports.

Those with a more masculine brain or tendencies and/or those that were good at playing them and/or those that find them exciting do like sports.

Masculine gays might use their love of sports to feel more like straight men compared to other gays, even though it's baseless. Femme gays might use their hatred of sports to somehow feel superior to those that like sports, even though it's baseless.

Well, this has been a very productive thread!

by Anonymousreply 10302/06/2013

Very good summary, R103, however I have to deduct points for you failing to include R94's perspective:

[quote]It is indeed quite possible to be extremely gay (I am) and LOVE sports (I do.)

i:e, a femme-y gay (I presume from his description) who also obsesses about sports.

The DL lesbians have been mostly silent on this topic but I'll hazard a guess that they also are as diverse in their attitudes to sports as the (mostly) gay posters.

by Anonymousreply 10402/06/2013

"hurl whatever insults you want at me and sports fans more generally, but all you achieve is your own marginalization, further confirming how unlike a man you are."

Look, Missy, liking sports doesn't make you a better human being than anyone else, or more masculine. If you like sports, great, but don't assume that you gain anything by it! We aren't impressed, and neither is anyone else.

So pardon me, I've got to go handicap the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 10502/06/2013

How dare you talk to proud masculine douche that way, R105.

by Anonymousreply 10602/06/2013

I think anybody preoccupied with something, be it sports or pop culture will always get their back up and try and project the limitations of their habit onto the apparent limitations of others (eg. onto gay guys who were picked last for teams at school).

by Anonymousreply 10802/07/2013

You'd think with all those masculine men gay guys would be more interested.

by Anonymousreply 10902/08/2013

r109, a lot of us bisexual and gay dudes are very much into sports. We just aren't out there calling attention to ourselves the way the type of gay guy that is not into sports usually is. We don't stick out and establish stereotypes like them.

by Anonymousreply 11002/08/2013

At least here in Europe it is not totally straight to be so much interested in sports. People who have a very strong interest in sports tend to have quite some issues, I guess straights should care most about women, their relationship and their kids.

by Anonymousreply 11102/08/2013

Since when is watching sports a masculine trait?

by Anonymousreply 11202/08/2013

You are such a silly gay man, R112, you are holding us back!

Don't you know that spending hours watching other athletes do the work and you just sit back and enjoy makes you more masculine?

by Anonymousreply 11302/08/2013

Men who actually play the big competitive team sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, ). Men (and women) who watch the Alpha Males play these sports are the Beta Males, but they are infused by proxy with the masculinity of the Alpha Males by identifying with the Alpha Males who play sports. IN other words, Beta Males increase their perceived masculinity by identifying with Alpha Males. Sports teams are sort of a pack, with the actual athletes being the Alpha Males and the fans Beta Males. Guys who are not into sports are viewed as sort of packless, others, in our society.

by Anonymousreply 11402/08/2013

Is bodybuilding considered a sport? If it is, I'm definitely an alpha competitor. So hopefully that makes me one of the masculine gays that can passs for straight.

by Anonymousreply 11502/08/2013

So if you're a pussy male, R114, and you watch sports, you go up a notch on the masculinity scale?

by Anonymousreply 11602/08/2013

bingo, r116. it is sort of like transference. I am not saying all fans are doing that, I am talking about a certain subset. It is a way of bolstering one's masculinity by proxy. In our society, it mostly works because there is a pack mentality about being a sports fan. It has gotten to the point where women who do not like football are viewed as weird or socially awkward.

by Anonymousreply 11702/08/2013

Oh, it is not just about masculinity either. It is also very much a type of nationalistic fervor and identity.

by Anonymousreply 11802/08/2013

So since some athletes are stupid (prime example: Notre Dame idiot who thinks imaginary people are real) and thugs (prime example: Michael Vick who tortures animals) and many have been injured to the point of brain damage, do we have to worry about that seeping through our television sets as we watch them do all the work or, even worse, as we sit in the stadium where their alpha rays might beam up to us?

by Anonymousreply 11902/08/2013

"Beta Males increase their perceived masculinity by identifying with Alpha Males. Sports teams are sort of a pack, with the actual athletes being the Alpha Males and the fans Beta Males."

Bingo! Sports fandoms are all that, and a pack of terrotorial instincts!

Because what does this "pack" do? Fights with packs from other regions, for territory.

by Anonymousreply 12002/08/2013

"So since some athletes are stupid (prime example: Notre Dame idiot who thinks imaginary people are real) and thugs (prime example: Michael Vick who tortures animals) and many have been injured to the point of brain damage, do we have to worry about that seeping through our television sets as we watch them do all the work or, even worse, as we sit in the stadium where their alpha rays might beam up to us?"

Yeah, there is a lot of silliness about how much our society worships jocks, even though being good at a sport HARDLY means you are a good person. I follow some sports, but it seems silly to me to OBSESS over sports or to think that jocks are heroes - they are guys who happen to be great at a particular sport. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 12102/08/2013

I don't really have a problem with other people liking sports. I think everyone's allowed to be enthusiastic about whatever excites them. What pisses me off is when someone tries to force me to like sports and other things I don't enjoy just because others do. My father used to get on my case about playing various kinds of team sports, all of which I tried and hated. In college, there was one obnoxious jackass who criticized the physical activities I did enjoy, such as running and swimming, and tried to push me to play basketball just because he thought I ought to be more like him and his friends. He actually tried to grab me by the arms and march me onto the basketball court after I told him I didn't want to play, which I thought was extremely rude and even a form of bullying. As long as no one criticizes me for what I like or tries to force me to pretend to like things I don't enjoy, I really don't care what other people like.

by Anonymousreply 12303/04/2013

Most of my straight friends who are into art, music, etc are not into sports either. Plus i know quite a few women who follow sports. I just think it has more to do with a person's mental wiring than their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 12404/04/2013

[quote]passs for straight

Freudian slip!

by Anonymousreply 12604/04/2013

I cared about sports...until I realized it's all rigged.

The NBA is complete crap. Anyone who likes fake pro wrestling should watch the 1998 NBA Finals between Chicago and Utah.

The NFL is almost as bad, except that small markets are allowed to win. They set up storylines so obvious that you can tell which team is going to win some years right after pre-sesason. The 2006 Super Bow(e)l was a joke, as was the Saints' '09 season.

by Anonymousreply 12704/04/2013

I didn't know sexual orientation cause people to like or not to like sports... O.o

I know olts of guys who love sports and they are homosexual in orintation.

Come out of the bubble that doesn't let you see real life.

by Anonymousreply 13110/18/2014

If making people rich who happen to have athletic coordination and talent is your thing, then so be it. And we all know what fine, upstanding people team owners and the like are. I refuse to participate. I've played my share of sports in high school and it can be fun but to get a vicarious thrill from watching others play is just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 13210/18/2014

I don't know any gay guys who sit around watching sports. We'd rather sit around and do each others' nails and talk about Joan, Judy and Bette. Then we all get naked and fuck each other. It's so much fun!

by Anonymousreply 13310/18/2014

Television is powerful in encrusting a reductionist image of gay men in people's mind.

Contrary to what television has indoctrinated you to believe, most gay guys are just like any other guy out there. They are men and men tend to share some common interests such as sports.

by Anonymousreply 13410/18/2014

Professional sports is the leading wedge of a service economy which transfers money from working people to the rich. That's why players' unions have been tolerated in professional sports. They give the illusion of meritocracy. In fact, all the real money goes to television, merchandisers, owners, etc. and it is all carefully managed to reduce competition. It is the perfect 1% scam.

by Anonymousreply 13510/19/2014

I don't care for sports, but most of the straight guys I know talk to me about politics, computers, music or TV-series instead. The main conversation topics among straight guys are: women (in general), sports, politics, cars & gadgets. And whenever I hear women talk to each other it's always about: diets, pregnancies, children/grandchildren, their partner, gossip about other (female) colleagues, clothes, shoes, shoes & shoes.

by Anonymousreply 13610/19/2014

Men, regardless of sexual orientation, love gossip just like any other person. It is a human thing.

by Anonymousreply 13710/20/2014

Back when engineering was mostly men, I enjoyed that they always were busy talking to each other about sports and rarely bothered me. If they came to talk to me, all I had to say is that I was deep in my translation of Rimbaud, and they'd run away.

Peace and Quiet in the Office.

When the women arrived and I tried that, they would plant themselves in my doorway and demand an explanation as to why I was reading silly books and didn't have a boyfriend.

No more Peace and Quiet.

by Anonymousreply 13810/20/2014

Why do feminine guys get so upset about regular masculine dudes? Many gay and bisexual males love sports!

by Anonymousreply 13910/20/2014

It could be the assumed idea that if you are a homosexual guy you ARE effeminate but you are "acting straight".

This is some sort of confirmation bias in some circles composed of effeminate gay guys. They only interact with other effeminate guys thus they think all other gay guys are effeminate by default and they simply "act straight".

Since most gay guys get turned off by effeminacy and some are too vocal about it then there is when the war between masculine vs feminine/effeminate starts.

by Anonymousreply 14010/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!