Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jennifer Lawrence's SNL Monologue: Buh-bye, Oscar?

The comparison was to Don Rickles, but Rickles has a long career of making an art of the insult. Lawrence doesn't, and she doesn't have the dry kind of wit it would take to pull this off.

Whichever idiot at SNL wrote this for her and convinced her to do it probably lost her the Oscar (on top of her "I beat Meryl!" gaffe at the Globes).

by Anonymousreply 4901/24/2013

Uh, right, because We base our final voting decisions on the basis of a long forgotten "variety" show that no one of any importance has viewed in at least 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

This year's Best Actress race is a pure joke. Lawrence is very good, but hardly great. Jessica Chastain and Qubooboo Wallis deserve Razzie nominations, not Oscar nods, for their performances. Only Emmanuelle Riva (who should win) and Naomi Watts are deserving, and they should've been joined on the list by Rachel Weisz, Marion Cotillard and Michelle Williams.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

The video's gone viral, r1. And she goofed with her Meryl comment at the Globes. She's handling this worse than Hathaway is, if that's possible.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

It was odd how she added one line of (insincere) compliments after trashing each nominee EXCEPT for Emmanuelle Riva. What was that all about?

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Michelle Williams for what, r4?

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

Jessica Chastain doesn't deserve a Razzie, but I'm kind of befuddled by her best actress nod, particularly at the expense of Cotillard (of course, I could say that about Qtipzhaney, too.)

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

I have to admit that I DID like "What choo talkin' bout, Wallis!"

Did anyone else think the Verismo commercial takeoff was somewhat racist, even though VERY funny?

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

The idea of the monologue was hysterical. The execution was lacking.

I love Jennifer Lawrence, FWIW. Anyone who has a dry sense of humor wins in my book. And she does.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

r7, "Take This Waltz"

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

It's Chastain's to lose. Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

No way, r12. Lawrence, even Riva, have better chances to win than Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

That's the problem, r10. Lawrence may have a dry sense of humor, but she doesn't have a dry delivery - and she couldn't pull the monologue off. It needed the right delivery to pull it off, and she couldn't do it - nor could she make the transition to her "real" compliment work - and forgetting a compliment for Riva (I'm sure she had one) was a goof on top of the goof of doing it in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1401/20/2013

I think it is just terrible to point out another nominees's weaknesses or bring up a project they may have wished to forget.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

Or to point out how another nominee is desperate, is completely graceless and gawky, and is one of the most annoying actors in Hollywood, so much so that people write articles asking why we all hate her.

No, I would never do that.

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2013

R14, the problem with the monologue may have been compounded by Lawrence's delivery, but it's fundamental problem was the writing.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

I think the monologue may hurt her chances not because it was in bad taste but because it pointed out her weakness. She's terrible at comedy. I like her but that was painful to watch. Painful.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

In contrast to other nominees, I like that she doesn't take it all that seriously like the simpering, sick making Ann Hathaway. Lawrence is sailing close to Phoenix on this.

That Chastain occupies the top two places at the box office is more of a concern for Lawrence. Though she herself has two franchises in addition to her award winning work.

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2013

The Globes just proved what a smart cookie she is. That hasn't harmed her.

by Anonymousreply 2101/21/2013

The only problem with Take This Waltz is that it had Seth Rogan in it which makes it unwatchable. Believe me, I tried.

OP forgets, JLaw has been doing a lot of groundwork. She's been working the circuit for months. People who matter know who she is and have a good impression. Plus everyone knows hosting SNL is like being kidnapped by a fraternity for a week, they don't blame her.

As for execution, they've probably all read Chastain's bad reviews for The Heiress.

by Anonymousreply 2201/21/2013

My Week With Marilyn???

r19, if you were joking then your delivery is about as spot-on as Jennifer Lawrence's.

by Anonymousreply 2301/21/2013

I like Jennifer hope she wins although havent seer Amour yet...

by Anonymousreply 2401/21/2013

Naomi Watts really was very, very good in THE IMPOSSIBLE, I would not be upset if she won, which is a very long shot, I realize.

by Anonymousreply 2501/21/2013

Does anyone, like OP, even watch the nominated films anymore and judge them on their own without any input from the media?

Or do people just judge their campaigning and red carpet attire?

I assume OP hasn't seen Silver Linings Playbook, or any of the other films, but only cares about E's Fashion Police and internet gossip about nominees.

Which is a sure sign that someone has a low IQ and is not worth the time of day.

by Anonymousreply 2601/21/2013

I didn't get the impression that the OP hadn't seen any of the movies. I'm sure several posters have seen them too. This is DL people snark.

by Anonymousreply 2701/21/2013

It isn't about whether people have seen the movies or not. Why do you think there are yearly "should win" and "will win" columns from people?

The "will win" is usually the person who played the game the best, and of course that doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with the "should win" actor either.

Knowing how political award season is I just took OP to be saying that Lawrence isn't playing the game as well as she could be, and will that result in having an effect on her chances of winning.

by Anonymousreply 2801/21/2013

I tried to watch this but couldn't get beyond the Top Dog Chef skit. Life is too short to watch SNL.

However, the worst thing about this show by far was the appalling musical guest, The Lumineers. Who are these twee peddlers of crap music? There was nothing at all original about them. They seemed to be ripping off Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (badly) and Of Monsters and Men (again, very badly).

by Anonymousreply 2901/23/2013

[quote]Lawrence is sailing close to Phoenix on this

What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 3001/23/2013

r30, Joaquin Phoenix said the Oscars are "bullshit," thus likely destroying any chance he had of winning.

by Anonymousreply 3101/23/2013

[quote]However, the worst thing about this show by far was the appalling musical guest, The Lumineers. Who are these twee peddlers of crap music? There was nothing at all original about them. They seemed to be ripping off Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (badly) and Of Monsters and Men (again, very badly).

If you like folk music, then you will like the Lumineers. Personally, I was not impressed, but Jennifer was great.

by Anonymousreply 3201/23/2013

"Does anyone, like OP, even watch the nominated films anymore and judge them on their own without any input from the media?"

I do.

And I'm convinced not only that it should be Riva but, if the Academy also watches the films, it will be Riva.

by Anonymousreply 3301/23/2013

I hope r33 is right. I finally saw "Amour" over the weekend -- up until then, I thought, oh, Lawrence, Watts, even Chastain, it doesn't matter, they're all good; now, there's simply no option other than Riva. She should be winning this 100%.

by Anonymousreply 3401/23/2013

I want the handsome bearded guy sitting next to "Tommy Lee Jones" in OP's video clip. Mmmm.

by Anonymousreply 3501/23/2013

What's the big deal with Lawrence's monologue? I saw it. It wasn't hilarious but it was serviceable. And it certainly wasn't at all offensive or insulting to the Academy or her co-nominees.

So what the fuck are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 3601/23/2013

I thought Jennifer Lawrence's monologue was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 3701/23/2013

Thanks, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2013

[quote]I thought Jennifer Lawrence's monologue was brilliant.

You have a very low standard for brilliance then.

by Anonymousreply 3901/24/2013

Like most of SNL's audience, r39. The original cast years were brilliant, and for a stretch in the 90s it was pretty good too. But it's been dead for many years now. There's nothing edgy about it, it's totally mainstream, lowest common denominator stuff, like a hipper version of Leno.

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2013

Exactly R40. They don't even try with Weekend Update anymore which is so lame and dated. It should've started parodying rolling cable news years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4101/24/2013

[quote]My Week With Marilyn??? If you were joking then your delivery is about as spot-on as Jennifer Lawrence's.

Have you even seen the movie? Don't judge before you see it.

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2013

You're a year too late, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4301/24/2013

And in case you're still befuddled, r242, let us spell that out for you: Williams actually was nominated for that film . . . last year.

by Anonymousreply 4401/24/2013

The pitiful thing is that there are actually times when Leno is hipper than SNL.

by Anonymousreply 4501/24/2013

A lot of actors - even really good ones - are bad at SNL opening monologues.

by Anonymousreply 4601/24/2013

I bet it won't be long before they have Jay Leno doing weekend update.

by Anonymousreply 4701/24/2013

I eat shit

by Anonymousreply 4801/24/2013

It was funny. Y'all need to get a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 4901/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!