Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Describe the most memorable freak out directed toward you on DL

And whether or not you deserved it.

Mine was on a thread about Chipotle. I added what still seems like the most innocuous comment possible. I said that I like to split a Chiptle burrito with my partner and have chips on the side.

"On the side" was what some lunatic latched on to and accused me of putting on airs and trying to act like a faux sophisticate. When, seriously, I meant it in the most possible basic sense. We cut a burrito in half, put half on each plate, and pour some chips on the side.

I still think it's hilarious. The guy was so mad and totally and completely unable to admit he was in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 8301/25/2013

Can't wait to see Anne Hathaway's response.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

'Ranger' rages against anyone who disparages the solipsist Philip Roth. We have argued about Roth writing the same novel over and over again for the past 25 years. He usually caves by posting 'LOL'.

I've gotten in some big arguments about the hack Stephen King. He's a terrible writer; I naturally come into conflict with those here who would eat the corn out of his shit.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

FYI: OP, there are a lot of mentally unstable and mentally ill people on Datalounge and all other internet chat rooms. People with nothing else to do all day since they can't hold a job, and their sole thrill in life is to write bizarre and hateful things online. So don't let online comments bother you. Just feel sorry for them & be glad you're not in their situation with mental illness, no job, no friends, and 100% boredom.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

[quote]So don't let online comments bother you.

Who said I did? I thought it was hilarious. I still do. That guy was fucking nuts.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

My theory is the most people are at least somewhat insane, and online, anonymous communication has created a forum in which to vicariously act out aggression, obsession and other neuroses that we keep hidden in our day to day actives. For all you know, OP, the person attacking you may have been a president of a bank.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

I once said my pussy didn't stink and most of DL was up in arms.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

I mildly disagreed with something a poster said a few months back. There was no name-calling involved, and the subject was fairly innocuous (I don't even remember what it was now).

The person I disagreed with threatened to attack and publicly out me by going through my IP to identify me. It was a rather astonishing response to a small slight.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

Nothing that good, OP. Just some demented name-calling, which I chalked up to r5.

The only elaborate one was by this figure skating troll who seized on an innocuous comment of mine and determined I was in on some conspiracy with Skate Canada.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

Millions of them.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

r7 - You know, I think I remember that. Not what the topic was, just the freak response. It was kinda unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

Years ago, when there was a thread about Rosie O'Donnell replacing Meredith Vieria as host of The View, I posted that I didn't think it would last more than a year. I said that Rosie would play nice at first but would become increasingly outspoken and eventually would get into a shouting match with Elizabeth Hasselbeck. (Little did I know how prophetic my words would be.) A Rosie fan called my post the most hateful and disgusting thing he/she had ever read on DL (really?), accused me of being unaware that Rosie had hosted a successful daytime talk show for many years (I was fully aware of it), and threatened to F&F me, all because I said Rosie wouldn't last long as host of The View.

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

It was very unsettling to me at the time, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

There was the guy who said if he knew where I lived, I wouldn't still be posting here.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

That's right, R13, and I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE! I'm coming to your door tonight with a stack of Janet Jackson albums, and you WILL listen to them! Make sure you have some chips and dip ready.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

"Whenever someone mentions singers, middle aged queens from coast to coast pour themselves a glass of white wine and type Judy." I didn't take it personally because I don't drink.

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2013

Years ago, in a thread about mondegreens (misunderstood song lyrics), I mentioned a book I had read on the subject, "'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" by Gavin Edwards. In the book, Edwards mentioned that someone thought Prince's "I Would Die For You" was "Apple Dapple Do." That's always made me laugh, so I shared it in the thread.

Well! Someone latched onto that and wouldn't let go, calling me a liar, maintaining I had made it up, because it was so "implausible." I didn't post here again for a very long time, not wanting to attract more crazies.

by Anonymousreply 1701/20/2013

I think there's some truth to [R5], but also I think it's true that people who feel they are not going to be accountable for what they post anonymously frees all kinds of rage and venom, often over very trivial things.

I also agree with [R17]. I am amazed at how often posters on DL insist something is a lie, an EST or totally made up. How would they know? Those posts that are jokes or parodies are obvious enough. But a lot tagged as 'untrue' reads as plausible to me. It's no skin off my back if someone has made something up or exaggerated, but I don't get the automatic, intense assumption by posters here that they have. (It was worse a few years ago when every other thread had posts that were being called an 'EST'.) Never really understood the mentality.

by Anonymousreply 1801/20/2013

An air-head said his only work-out was recumbent bicycling and asked how to get six-pack abs. As a 'Science Doctor', I suggested push-ups and pull-ups. Our resident muscle slut lost his shit and followed me to different threads.

On a proposed internet sales tax thread, I disclosed I filed and paid multi-state taxes monthly on B&M sales. Some yokel exploded about how much TIME and ORGANIZATION it took for me to file each form (five minutes tops) and how it would be unfair to place this burden upon internet sellers. My simple spreadsheet solution made him explode with, 'Most people don't have Excel!'

Oh, and I was banned for a parody thread in 2007. It was hilarious - to me. Nobody else thought it was funny. Normally gentle posters called me an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2013

I get called Mary all the time for one thing or another. I wear it as a badge of honor and confirmation I must have it right after all.

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2013

Webmaster. Blocked me for posting a pic of Thich Quang Duc's self immolation on a thread asking for pictures of "hot Asian men."

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2013

R14 may own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2301/20/2013

A nut went after me in a thread about, of all things, dead pro surfer Andy Irons. I expressed sympathy about his addictions and early death which was, apparently, some kind of invitation for a complete meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 2501/21/2013

Some loon latched onto me one day after I used the word 'creepy' to describe some person or movie - don't even remember what. He said something like no one uses the word 'creepy' anymore. Every thread I'd post in that day, he'd be right there disagreeing or saying something asshole-ish in response.

by Anonymousreply 2601/21/2013

I had something happen like that R26. I said something or disagreed with something someone said, not nastily either, and he obviously put me on his trolldar and stalked me all day from thread to thread until I simply asked him what his fucking problem was. He did stop after that. I think he was just trolling for a response and trying to get me to join in some shit slinging fest. I learned a long time ago not to let them get to me and just shrug it off and move on.

by Anonymousreply 2701/21/2013

Saying chips 'on the side' is asinine and stupid.

OP's example is lame.

'on the side' is a completely unnecessary phrase in this case - just say a sandwich with potato chips or a half of a Chipotle burrito with chips.

'on the side' is ludicrous, pedantic, fussy, prissy

by Anonymousreply 2801/21/2013

Someone repeatedly screeching that the word "Eskimo" was an ethnic slur. Bitch, not if you're Alaskan and possibly Yupik.

by Anonymousreply 2901/21/2013

I don't get the ones who follow others around hounding them. They seem definitely unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 3101/21/2013

I love r14. Looks like r28 will NOT let it go. I asked one time what "rut roh" means--someone had written that in a post. Someone wrote it was a reference to "Scooby Doo" and that I must be autistic for not knowing that.

by Anonymousreply 3201/21/2013

You people do realize that no one here has access to IPs except for the webmaster, right?

It is not possible for anyone, under any circumstances, to see your IP except for the webmaster. Outside of that, a court order is required, and an officer of the court would have to physically receive the IP address from the webmaster.

Anyone who says something like that is a complete lunatic and is failing Troll 101.

by Anonymousreply 3301/21/2013

ITA @ R31. They say things like, "OP, trolldar is not your friend. You are the same lunatic who has been spewing hate all over the Judy Garland thread."

These hall monitors are so proud of themselves for "outing" people with trolldar. LOL. I picture Nellie Olsen from Little House on the Prairie when she gets that snitty, self satisfied look on her face.

by Anonymousreply 3401/21/2013

R34 But trolldar has its uses sometimes. When someone is clearly trolling or fighting with themselves it's incredibly useful.

I try not to take on the Nellie Oleson voice, though, when pointing that out to them. I prefer to say "It rubs the lotion on itself!"

by Anonymousreply 3601/21/2013

R14 wins.

by Anonymousreply 3701/21/2013

The time he addressed a thread to me and begged me to call him.

Now he won't call me back.

by Anonymousreply 3801/21/2013

Streep Troll has had a meltdown or two towards me. But I poked the hornet's nest so to speak - so I rather enjoyed it.

I was temporarily banned during all of the Javier/Javy threads.

Other than that, I've been hounded by a few right wing freepers here. But they post the same shit like a broken, skipping record, so nothing new or memorable about that shit.

by Anonymousreply 3901/21/2013

Someone is have a meltdown over on the DA thread. They think it sucks and will not be happy until we all stop watching it and realize it is dreck.

by Anonymousreply 4001/21/2013

have should be having.

by Anonymousreply 4101/21/2013

I posted an opinion about macaroni & cheese--I was called borderline retarded, among other choice remarks. Somehow, "fascist" never got used.

by Anonymousreply 4201/21/2013

R1, I've a fine apartment, lots of room, please move in with me!

by Anonymousreply 4301/21/2013

A few years ago I posted after my puppy was killed unexpectedly - my landlord at the time and his workers left the front door wide open and she ran into the street. Some of the posters comments directed at me still nauseate me.

by Anonymousreply 4401/21/2013

I remember that post, R44. Definitely not the DL's shining moment...

by Anonymousreply 4501/21/2013

R44 How sad. Sorry to hear that.

I can be the biggest bitch at the ball, but I have a soft spot for dogs and cats.

by Anonymousreply 4601/21/2013

[quote]I was called a fascist for a very complimentary post I wrote about Deanna Durbin.

Wow. I'm struggling to think of a DL demographic that doesn't cover.

by Anonymousreply 4701/21/2013

R40, you're the DA version of the Meryl troll. You describe a "meltdown" as someone saying he thought the DA writing is bad prior to you DA fangurls freaking out.

I'll save you some trolldar time. I didn't post in that thread because I thought your behavior was ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 4801/21/2013

Jimmy, I thought you told us that your mother left the door open?

by Anonymousreply 4901/21/2013

My sister is very good friends with Dominic Monaghan from Lost and LOTR. I said he was straight, because he is. This did not end well for me.

by Anonymousreply 5001/21/2013

R44 - Thank you. I am glad to know I am not alone in thinking it was unduly harsh.

R49 - I have not lived with my parents in quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 5101/21/2013

Plenty of times. I've been accused of being thethougthtfulcunt, Brendan, PPSM, and many more. I'm not. Really.

Also, someone made a rude comment about a statement I made about being gay. He called me uneducated but spelled several words incorrectly in his post. I teased him about spelling mistakes in a post about being educated and he slammed me. He hasn't left me alone since, even though he promised he would. Sad thing is that I think he is one of the most brilliant posters on the DL and, except when he's being a catty bitch, I enjoy and admire his intelligence and wit. I apologised, but he just won't let it go.

by Anonymousreply 5201/21/2013

R44, Ya know Honey Boo Boo chil' and he family found that road kill and ate it, doncha?

by Anonymousreply 5301/22/2013

When Mommie found out that I'd accidentally hung a few of my dresses on wire hangers....

by Anonymousreply 5401/22/2013

Lighten up R48. Seriously. How is anything I wrote offensive. I merely said no one is forcing you to watch it. Sure, the plot has holes but some find it entertaining.

Unclench your sphincter.

by Anonymousreply 5501/22/2013

You first, R55.

by Anonymousreply 5601/22/2013

No, Jimmy, you tokd us your mother was visiting, left the door open and the puppy ran out into the street. And, then, you did a skit about.

by Anonymousreply 5701/22/2013

Girls! Girls! You're both cunts!

by Anonymousreply 5801/22/2013

R58 you funny! That's exactly what I thought after reading the post by R56.

by Anonymousreply 5901/22/2013

I got tons of shite when I opined that unwed mothers shouldn't be supported by tax dollars.

by Anonymousreply 6001/22/2013

[quote]Looks like [R28] will NOT let it go.

I know, right?

I'm not sure if it's more funny or more sad.

by Anonymousreply 6101/23/2013

There's plenty of craziness going down in this one.

by Anonymousreply 6201/23/2013

I was called a "rancid cunt" by disagreeing with someone who said Susan Lucci was homophobic and wouldn't even use gay male hairdressers and make-up artists. I don't even really care if she is, but I knew she wasn't and supplied facts supporting that fact. He didn't reply after that.

by Anonymousreply 6301/24/2013

There are threads dedicated to how awful people think I am.

by Anonymousreply 6401/24/2013

In a judge Judy thread I described an episode where I thought ol' Judy been a bit harsher than usual. I said I had only ever seen a few episodes, but based on that particular episode, I had been turned off for good. This harmless remark triggered the fury of some Judge Judy nut who went on a rant about he had seen every episode ever. Ever! And I had clearly made that episode up as he couldnt recall it. He was livid. How dare I dislike Judy? Who was I to invent episodes? Why would I do that? Maybe if I watched the show occasionally, I'd know that Judy was never, ever biased!! On and on it went.

I felt so sorry for him. Clearly he was a sad shut-in whose whole life revolved around watching and rewatching Judge Judy, and by mentioning an episode he'd never seen, I inadvertently pushed him over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 6501/24/2013

It was a thread asking if all policeman were corrupt and violent. Some weirdo came on the thread insisting that all police were bloodthirsty homicidal maniacs and all them should be shot dead. I took issue with that, and the weirdo freak said that if he knew where I lived he would kill me. I'm not exaggerating; this lunatic was making death threats. The Webmaster really needs to ban insane creeps like that. Anybody who makes death threats is truly demented.

by Anonymousreply 6601/24/2013

i was masticated by the grammar and pious trolls for commenting on shit I hate.

apparently alcohol nazi's who think they're better than other people because they only drink wine, people who assume because you're female you give a shit about stories about their kids, and single guys who think they're original because they have inflatable snapple bottles in their rooms is lame; set off one poster to pretty much spasm in their pants and shat their load over their dorm room takeaway.

i was called fat, ugly and a teenager, I am none of the above, and had to give a robust response which was described as angry and raging by other posters....

didn't get anymore trouble for the 'shit you hate troll' after that though.

by Anonymousreply 6701/24/2013

I casually mentioned French champagne once. I presume I mentioned it being French because it was imported and expensive wine.

I'm in the US and some sparkling wines can be legally called champagne, as long as the label indicates the region of origin. I know, and knew then, this usage has fallen into disfavor, but didn't think much of it. After all, there are also US-produced sherries and ports.

OMG, what a shitstorm! After the initial attack on me, the entire thread got disrailed by two posters arguing the legality and propriety of calling American wine champagne. It got really vicious.

Honestly, I think you could make a stronger argument against American sherry. I've never found one that was usable for anything but cooking. On the other hand, there are some excellent sparkling wines from California.

by Anonymousreply 6801/24/2013

On a thread about actor Scott Caan, someone mentioned that Caan is not only gay but that he had married his male partner in a big wedding that had been reported in several mainstream newspapers and magazines. I asked for a link to one of those mainstream news reports on the supposed wedding, and a shitstorm erupted. I was called an ignorant, self-loathing asshole. Someone posted a link to the incident from years ago where Caan got into a fight with another man at a gay bar and said, "Here's your fucking link!" Other posters piled on, wondering why I refused to believe that Caan might be gay. Of course, I never said Caan wasn't gay. And I knew about the gay bar story from years ago. I merely doubted the wedding story and asked for a link. No link was ever provided.

by Anonymousreply 6901/24/2013

[quote]I'm in the US and some sparkling wines can be legally called champagne

Actually, no.

by Anonymousreply 7001/24/2013

Am a lesbian and was told I was obese, waddle painfully with a cane and sleep with my entire social circle. Not true!

by Anonymousreply 7101/24/2013

R66, I remember that thread. It wasn't that long ago. But, yeah, the death threats were a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 7201/24/2013

Some dude in the Talladega Tire Man thread I created went on some weird crusade against me for posting the TTM's pics. He seemed so incensed that I literally laughed whenever he'd come back to rant and rave.

by Anonymousreply 7301/24/2013

Thanks for that thread R73. I love TTG.

by Anonymousreply 7401/24/2013

You're welcome, R74. I do too!

by Anonymousreply 7501/24/2013

I think I criticized Obama once or twice. 'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 7601/24/2013

I don't remember the thread but TTG is hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 7701/24/2013

I'll bump it just for you, Dustin.

by Anonymousreply 7801/24/2013

Actually, yes, R70.

Older brands of American champagnes are grandfathered in to the exception. Per Wikipedia:

[quote]The United States bans the use (of the term "champagne") from all new U.S.-produced wines. Only those that had approval to use the term on labels before 2006 may continue to use it and only when it is accompanied by the wine's actual origin (e.g., "California").

Jesus, are you one of the posters who derailed the thread I referenced?

by Anonymousreply 7901/24/2013

This is the "Resurrect Your Old Feud" thread.

by Anonymousreply 8001/25/2013

I once got torn a new one because, in the process of calling out a clearly racist poster, I used the word moronic. My points were all well reasoned and the DLer had no problem with me putting a racist poster in their place. However, it was for some reason completely unforgivable that I refereed to their logic as "moronic" because apparently that constituted name calling and made me no better that the racist.

I went back and forth trying to explain that I was referring to the thought process and not necessarily the person. All my efforts proved pointless though as the other poster just continued to insist that I had done a horribly unforgivable thing. I gave up after being told that I could be the cause of someone's suicide for such bullying.

by Anonymousreply 8101/25/2013

^ referred and than

by Anonymousreply 8201/25/2013

I usually find out where they live and the size of their pets, for dosage purposes.

by Anonymousreply 8301/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!