Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My weight is starting to scare me

I have been overweight all of my life. But now that I'm nearing 40, I am starting to gain even more weight very quickly and it's starting to scare me for health reasons. I'm the heaviest I've ever been right now.

Controlling my eating has always been one of my great failures. I have a lot of self discipline in other areas of my life--good job, do well academically, have good relationships--and I was even able to quit smoking on my own (5 years smoke free now). But I am helpless with eating and my weight.

I started working out with a personal trainer in October, and his encouragement is what keeps me going back. I need someone like that for my eating--someone to teach me how to eat healthfully and be a cheerleader. I realize that I can't do this on my own, and I need to do something before I do more serious, irreversible damage to my body.

Where do I go to find someone who can design a diet, help teach me to eat healthy, and encourage me? The only nutritionist I tried (though my health plan) wasn't good at all, and I'm willing to hire someone...I just don't know where to start.

by Helpreply 2601/20/2013

I should mention, I've gotten a physical and a thyroid test (normal and normal).

by Helpreply 101/20/2013

It scares me too.

by Helpreply 201/20/2013

OP - not enough info.

Male or female?

Weight?

Height?

by Helpreply 301/20/2013

I'm terrified as well.

by Helpreply 401/20/2013

[quote] Controlling my eating has always been one of my great failures

Well, DUH

by Helpreply 501/20/2013

[quote]Controlling my eating has always been one of my great failures. . . . But I am helpless with eating and my weight.

A nutritionist can give you the tools, and teach you what to do, but you are going to be the one making the choices throughout the day as to what to eat.

If you feel that you need assistance, then by all means look around for someone to help you with this. The chances are that they will recommend that you focus on eating lean sources of protein (chicken breast, turkey, salmon, tuna, etc.), healthy fats (including nuts and avocados), and a lot of vegetables (so long as they are not loaded with sauces), and fruit. Avoid sugar and empty carbohydrates (like white bread, cakes, cookies, pasta), and overly processed foods.

Good luck!

by Helpreply 601/20/2013

It's hard for me to care about all that food you're overeating, when all I had was ketchup for my spaghetti at lunch.

by Helpreply 701/20/2013

Weight Watchers works, OP. Since you can eat anything in moderation, it also helps retrain your eating habits in sustainable ways. No point in losing weight if you're going back to eating as you are now.

by Helpreply 801/20/2013

Dieting and giving up eating just never works. I used Dr. Gott's no sugar no flour diet. I ate nothing with sugar or flour in it and you have to read labels. You can have corn tortillas and other grains. Brown rice is better than white of course. You lose weight slowly but you never need to be hungry. Now I still never eat sugar and if I gain a few pounds I drop the products with flour for a week or two.For a sweet I eat a few medjool dates. You have to change the way your eat forever.Sometimes I daydream of eating a whole cake or something but for the most part no longer miss the things I used to eat.

by Helpreply 901/20/2013

Why would anyone in their right mind with a weight problem post about it here, with these vicious queens just lying in wait, like lavender vultures?

by Helpreply 1001/20/2013

Following on from R8, the whole point of dieting or, as I prefer to call it, subscribing to a healthy food plan, is to retrain your eating habits in a sustainable way. That should be your goal. The weightloss is a result of that not the primary goal. "Dieting" always makes that sound like a temporary pursuit.

by Helpreply 1101/20/2013

[R10] Not a mean word yet.

by Helpreply 1201/20/2013

You need therapy. Your emotions are being channeled into food. Heal the emotions, the weight will also be healed.

by Helpreply 1301/20/2013

Jenny Craig + Exercise = Weight Loss.

by Helpreply 1401/20/2013

r10 - Like you weren't lying in wait with "lavender vultures" & "vicious queens?" Anyway, so far you're the only asshole.

OP, if you can afford it, why not subscribe to a service that will deliver healthy meals to you? Just until you've weaned yourself from the junk food and huge portions. Then transition to a program where you can track your intake.

by Helpreply 1501/20/2013

[quote] Jenny Craig + Exercise = Weight Loss.

Unless one plans on eating Jenny Craig processed meals for life, not a sustainable option.

by Helpreply 1601/20/2013

And you R15, are the only cunt...go douche.

by Helpreply 1701/20/2013

et tu [r17]

by Helpreply 1801/20/2013

Oh do stop baiting R10/ R17

by Helpreply 1901/20/2013

R16, if you go back to the crap and out of control eating, of course.

But if you learn portion control and keep up the exercise, then you stand a better chance of keeping it off.

by Helpreply 2001/20/2013

You need a psychologist as much as a nutritionist. Eating disorders are the result of psychological issues more than merely food issues. What has your partner done to help you with your problem, or is he co-dependent?

by Helpreply 2101/20/2013

I don't know about needing a psychologist. I am a carb addict and when I eat them I can't stop. Without the carb overload I don't crave food and eating.

by Helpreply 2201/20/2013

Changing the way you eat doesn't necessarily change your relationship with food.

Being sober is a very different from being a "dry drunk."

The sober person has gone into their emotional issues.

The dry drunk just white knuckles their way through "not drinking."

Although both no longer drink.

You need to get sober with food.

by Helpreply 2301/20/2013

Weight Watchers

by Helpreply 2401/20/2013

What r23 said

by Helpreply 2501/20/2013

If you have a Seattle Sutton or Nutrisystem in your area, they tailor a diet for you.

You first toss out all of your junk. Then eat their food for a month to break your old diet habits. Afterwards, follow their ingredients list and portions when you shop and cook your own food.

This means no restaurant or grocery store food until you're ready to cook your own food.

I prepared a Coumadin/diabetes diet for six years. That ended this Summer and I dived back into potatoes and breads in a big way. Life was so much better without simple carbs. Now, my sides look like that of a toad and my thighs torture corduroy. I'm pretty sure I even sound like a fatty.

by Helpreply 2601/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.