Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I think having an incumbent president inaugurated a second time is ridiculous.

I think all presidents should only have one formal inauguration. One who wins a second term should be given a second stripe or other to indicate he is rightfully serving his second term.

All this commotion and expense is totally stupid. Now his third term might include a dance, but this parade shit is murder on city traffic patterns and costs money that could be better spent on those in need.

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2013

You lost. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

I am a Democrat!

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

And, of course, the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution limits a President to being elected only two times. So, that third-term dance would be a rarity.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

I agree OP.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

Democrat here too! Yeah, the first time was history in the making. This one should have been more simple! Then again, Washington D.C. is good at wasting tax payer money!

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

[quote] Then again, Washington D.C. is good at wasting tax payer money!

Please don't let the fact that inaugurations are funded by private donations get in the way of your rant.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2013

On the one hand, I agree with OP. On the other, it's a very important occasion to mark. I'm not at all very patriotic but I was proud watching that. It draws a line, compels us to reflect going forward.

Of course, it should be noted OP's opinion has been a freeper talking point for the last week. I don't think they EVER said that about GWB.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Inaugurations are largely paid for by raising private money.

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2013

The gov't only pays for the security which is usually slightly more than the "fun" stuff. But it's a drop in the bucket, really.

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2013

I don't mind the inauguration. I don't like all the state dinners and foreign junkets they get. Statesmanship is not wining and dining, people!

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

Yes, r11 it IS LARGELY "wining and dining"! Diplomacy is just like everything else, it revolves around people sharing food and wine and managing to get past the small talk to the big issues. You must be quite sheltered.

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2013

It is an important occasion but the money spent on a second inaugural seems crazy.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2013

GWB's second inauguration actually cost more than Obama's first.

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2013

[quote]Now his third term might include a dance

Yes. It's a tradition FDR started upon being the first president to be inaugurated for a third time. Unbeknownst to most historians, he sprang up from his wheelchair and did a lively jig. All third term presidents since have held up the tradition.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2013

No that was the fourth term R15, and it probably killed him.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

Whether privately funded or not, I agree it's a waste of money and resources.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

I agree, OP. And not for any partisan reasons (I voted for Obama). I wanted to see this b/c of our remaining financial issues, and also because it's a big ole waste.

And I know much of it is a thank you to the people that helped.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

[quote] Statesmanship is not wining and dining, people!

If only I had Datalounge back in my time for such wisdom. I'd have never needed to take that unnecessary journey to Paris in 1776.

by Anonymousreply 1901/21/2013

Like you accomplished anything besides taking credit for what Silas Deane did!

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!