Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ira Levin

Any fans? I've read Rosemary's Baby, Stepford Wives, Son of Rosemary, and Sliver. Saw the remake of A Kiss Before Dying, and the Deathtrap movie.

Some great work, nothing that will win any literary awards, but brilliant at plotting.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013

Big fan. Anyone ever read "This Perfect Day". Not great literature but I loved it in high school.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

I just bought it this week to read over. Even from the synopsis and reviews it sounds like something that would make a great movie. He had some great quality adaptations made of his work.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

Don't forget "The Boys from Brazil".

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

I loved "This Perfect Day"!! I bet I've read it a hundred times.

But "The Boys from Brazil" is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

How does the movie (Stepford Wives) compare to the book? I liked the movie when I was a kid but burnt out on it a long time ago. Some people seem to think it's a classic though.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

He was an excellent screenwriter. All of his books and plays were screenplays. And he kept it simple. But be used symbolism effectively. I admire people who keep things simple, yet still have imagination.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

"I admire people who keep things simple"

We also love simple things, R7!

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

I don't know that I agree with the screenwriter assessment, at least not for all of his novels. "Rosemary's Baby" relied way too much on Rosemary's inner monologue to advance the story. Though the movie is excellent, the novel is superior because you get to know Rosemary that much better on the page. With its small cast and limited setting I could almost imagine it being conceived as a stage piece, especially considering Levin's history with the theater.

On the other hand, "The Boys From Brazil" and "A Kiss Before Dying" are probably better as movies because their big twists/reveals are visual. Not that the film versions of either are classics but, in theory, the stories play better on screen than on the page.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

The Stepford Wives novel is a good read, and it's quick too. It's a good book if you're bored on a weekend afternoon. The ending of the novel is different from the movie, and I won't give anything away but I think both endings are equally good.

The movie version of The Stepford Wives still holds up, and I watch it maybe once a year. I always wonder how the story continued after the events of the film. The less said about the godawful remake with Nicole Kidman, the better. That was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

I think Stepford was strangely prophetic....only the housewives are doing it to themselves....(becoming blonde, tan, and generally Kelly Ripa-like)

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

R5, the novel "The Stepford Wives" is so much better than any film it spawned. It's very short, not even 200 pages - almost an extended short story rather than a novel. You can finish it in one sitting. It's similar to "Rosemary's Baby" in that you follow the main character's growing paranoia as the story reveals itself.

Even though it focuses on women and the feminist movement, I've always felt that it lends itself to any oppressed minority - gays especially. I mean, the far Christian right essentially wants to brainwash any gay man or woman into thinking they can be straight. If they could do it mechanically like the men of Stepford I'm sure they'd have no qualms.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

Was Ira Levin gay?

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

Hey, don't forget the longest running play in the world, DEATHTRAP>

And did he, or did he not, write the play and screen play for SLEUTH?

by Anonymousreply 1401/20/2013

no, r14...Anthony Shaffer adapted his own play.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

Wasn't gay. But we're forgetting that he wrote Barbra's He Touched Me! Well, he wrote "She Touched Me" for Drat the Cat, a score I kind of love.

Agree with R12, the Stepford Wives as a story is incredible. I love the Ross/Prentiss movie, but it's very very different. I think someone like PT Anderson or Darren Aronofsky, someone with a talent for satire, could make a great film out of it.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2013

Don't forget his play Veronica's Room. The original production flopped on Broadway and there was a mildly successful revival off-Broadway in the 80s, but it's a must for Levin fans.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2013

Veronica's Room was awful on Broadway. I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.