Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Litter

It really sticks in my craw. I hate it with a passion. Are people really so lazy that they can't take their trash to a goddamn trash can or dumpster. Even something so small as seeing a cigarette butt on the ground gets on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

It's pretty awful. I have seen the worst, most lazy littering ever; people throwing garbage in bushes, on the sidewalk, just because they can't wait til they get to a garbage can.

Cigarette butts are the worst. There's a dry cleaner I walk by on my way to work. Their back end is on a side street that's on a decline, and their staff stand out back and smoke and throw their butts out into the street. There are hundreds of butts in the street, along the curb, and all over the sidewalk. Since it's on a decline, come spring and the first big rainfall, all of them are going to wash down the street and into the storm drain, then out to the river.

My co-workers are pretty bad with it as well. The building owners decided they didn't want employees smoking outside the building (I work in a 9 story office building, we have 1,000 employees), so they told them to go across the way to the city plaza/ped mall and smoke. The city has actually added MORE cigarette receptacles, and people are still throwing them on the ground, or putting them out in the planters. It's embarrassing. There's a nice city lady who works for the parks division, and comes around in the spring and plants some really great arrangements in these planters, and people will still put butts in them. There are now 5 cigarette receptacles between this smoking spot and our building, and it makes no difference.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

Frankly, I rather enjoy a good litter.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

There's absolutely no good reason for anyone to litter in Western society. So why does it still happen? What are the psychological motivations for such willful destruction?

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

I agree with you OP.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

r3, I would say general laziness and selfishness. Not recognizing how your actions affect others and the world.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

I despise it. On occasion, I've called people out for it and -- in most cases -- gotten them to pick up their trash and dispose of it properly. One woman was a bare few feet from the trash can!

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

I live close to a library and people use my yard as a trash can. I purchased rubber boots just so I could clean out my ravine.

"Park-like setting" just means our local hillbillies drop shit whenever they're done with it.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

I live in an apt. complex, and in my court people just throw their trash onto the parking lot when there is a dumpster within spitting distance. That means that on the weekends, when maintenance isn't working, I have to look out my window and see peoples' trash on the ground because they were too fucking lazy to walk twenty paces to the dumpster and dispose of it there. And you never see the culprits. It's almost like some of them open their car doors, toss their McDonald's cups or empty potato chip bags on the ground and keep it moving. It makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

It's always the ones eating garbage that seem to do the most litering. In other words, fatties.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

There's a similar situation where I work, R1. They put cigarette recepticles outside the buildings, and you STILL see peoples' nasty butts on the ground. Are these people mentally deficient or just plain lazy?

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

There should be litter cams posted everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.