Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Subversive film shot at Disney Parks is talk of Sundance, but may never see light of day

"Escape from Tomorrow" is the story of a father losing his mind during a family vacation and was shot covertly at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and features Disney intellectual property in many scenes. Early reviews compare it to the work of David Lynch.

Press is already speculating that Disney will make it impossible to distribute.

by Anonymousreply 2105/02/2014

LA Times on how the movie was made, which is good material for a movie onto itself.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

I'd love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

It sounds familiar, but I can't say why.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

This thing will be locked up next to Walt's frozen body in the vault under Mr. Lincoln by Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

He was so paranoid about Disney during the filming. How did he expect to show it? DId he imagine that Disney's attitude would be "Oh, well--it's too late to stop him?"

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

[quote]DId he imagine that Disney's attitude would be "Oh, well--it's too late to stop him?"

On the other hand, this guy might have figured out the most effective way in history to have top film execs, not just the ones at Disney, view his student movie.

He might be dumb like a fox and have competing job offers on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Yeah, R5 doesn't seem that sharp.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

That bert and ernie film was never supposed to see the light of day and it did.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

Is there a foreign movie with a similar theme?

I just can't shake that I've seen something like this before.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

"Escape From Tomorrow" has just come available on DVD and for rental. I believe it is one of the most brilliant movies ever-I can't recommend it enough.

by Anonymousreply 1005/01/2014

Can't wait to see it!

by Anonymousreply 1105/01/2014

They can show it on a double bill with Todd Haynes's "Superstar" featuring Barbie as Karen Carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 1205/02/2014

You can watch it right here. Although I'd suggest having an AdBlocker on when visiting this site.

by Anonymousreply 1305/02/2014

I would love to see this. Haven't read the articles yet, but if they are using images of copyrighted Disney material, this will probably never see the light of day.

That said, we all managed to watch the movie Todd Haynes made about Karen Carpenter, didn't we?

by Anonymousreply 1405/02/2014

R12 beat me to it!

Also, whatever Leo DiCaprio's efforts have been to stop this from happening, his movie Don's Plum (shot right after/before Romeo + Juliet craze, as he was on the brink of stardom) has been available, and I've seen it.

He comes across as a major douche.

by Anonymousreply 1505/02/2014

You are able to Disney characters in the US if it is clear that it is satire.

by Anonymousreply 1605/02/2014

r14, umm, see r10. It has seen the light of day, Disney isn't going to stop it. And r16 apparently offers the explanation.

by Anonymousreply 1705/02/2014

It's my understanding that Disney could have blocked release on the grounds that ticket purchase agreements forbid filming anything on park grounds other than that material for personal use ("home videos.")

However, they chose to ignore "Escape From Tomorrow," rather than ban it and elevate it to legendary status, as has happened with Todd Haynes "Superstar" film.

I saw it on the shelves of our local Family Video Store, I imagine it 's available in Red Box and on Amazon. I saw it when it came out and was truly electrified by it's audacity and cleverness. One of the most brilliant films ever!

by Anonymousreply 1805/02/2014

This sounds really cool and I am looking forward to seeing it.

The Disney legal department is notorious when it comes to enforcing their copyright. Even if what R16 says is true, (I'm not certain this would qualify as satire because I have not seen it) Disney would still fight it so to wear the filmmaker down and cause so much grief and financial hardship they would eventually cave. They would also send out a powerful, "dont fuck with us" message to anyone who thinks of doing something similar in the future. So why didn't they go after the filmmakers? My guess is they probably felt it was not worth the trouble or the bad PR. There is also the Streisand Effect to consider. Right now, not a real lot of people know about the film, but if they were to take them to court, more people would learn about it and learn about Disney's efforts to suppress it. Trying to prevent it from being seen would add an extra layer of interest. Black market copies could be sold with the tagline: "The Movie Disney Doesn't Want You to See!" For them, its better to ignore it, let it catch the limited buzz it's currently creating and take comfort that in another year or so, it will be mostly forgotten by the general public.

by Anonymousreply 1905/02/2014

Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a score of 56% based on reviews from 73 critics, with an average rating of 6/10. The site's consensus is "Conceptually audacious but only intermittently successful in execution, Escape From Tomorrow is nonetheless visually inventive and darkly surreal."

by Anonymousreply 2005/02/2014

It just magically appeared on my HD. (The Magic White Glove can't sweep that.)

by Anonymousreply 2105/02/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!