Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What fresh vegetables and fruits do you keep around?

I'm always surprised at friends and family who never have any fresh fruit or vegetables in their kitchens. I keep basics of bananas, apples and pears, and salad fixings at the minimum.

What about you?

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2013

I am what doctors call "persistent vegetative" - a vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

Dark leafy greens and always a couple of tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

Always have broccoli as I eat that more days than not. Carrots because they keep. Bananas and a few pieces of citrus, orange/tangerine/grapefruit. Always have a few avocados ripening. Those are the always haves and then I have whatever fruits and vegetables are in season and cheap that week. This last week strawberries and green beans were on sale so I have both of those. I am not vegetarian as I eat eggs and dairy, occasionally chicken or seafood. I never buy beef or pork. Never fresh chicken either but will eat out or in something like a soup or frozen meal.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

salad makings

basic herbs (cilantro, rosemary, parsley, sage)

berries, apples, pears, tangerines or clementines

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

In season:

grapefruit (red only!)

squash (winter)

squash (yellow summer)

summer peas and beans

Off and on:

chayote (mirlitons)

onions (green)

Year around:

onions (red, yellow, white)

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

oranges and apples. eat one or the other every day.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Always some fresh fruit. I keep bananas and apples at work for a snack. At home I almost always have strawberries, blueberries, avocados, and when they are in season, cherries, peaches, and plums.

My standard vegetables to keep around are broccoli, asparagus, sweet potatoes, and zucchini.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

I always have fresh organic grown vegetables around. I eat salads every day. It's just so easy and healthy to put them together. I seriously don't know why/how anyone would be fat.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

Ditto r6. And strawberries in the summer. Anything else I buy on a whim when I am in the store. There's a great produce store right across the street. I go in there almost daily. It's expensive, but I'd rather buy and eat fast than have to throw out stuff that's gone bad in my fridge.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

Pretty much the same as the OP. I ALWAYS have tomatoes and onions. Almost always have everything else I need to make a salad - cucumbers, lettuces, avocados, sometimes carrots. I also like to make coleslaw but I just buy the mix. I don't cook much so I usually just make big salads instead of cooking veggies and have salad for dinner lots of nights. I usually have bananas, clementines or oranges and some other fruit like strawberries and blueberries on hand, and nectarines and plums in summer.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

Right now, cucumbers and zucchinis, but I'm working my way up to eggplants!

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

Ha! R11. Keep it up Brad. I know you you can do it.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

I've been pickling a cucumber for weeks now.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

Pretty much only asparagus occasionally, otherwise my vegetables are all frozen ones.

by Anonymousreply 1401/20/2013

I try not to stock veggies unless I know I'm going to make a meal with them in the next week the kind of veggies we use rotates .

Bananas and apples for breakfast. There is usually some kale in our fridge. We make a lot of kale salads. Broccoli or cauliflower is a regular.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

Grapes, I have penchant for grapes. I also keep banana, bosc pears, a couple of cartons of strawberries, blueberries and some raspberries. Berries are inexpensive here in S. Ca. but you have to know where to by them. I shop almost daily at Growers Direct in Costa Mesa. I live in Newport and it's just blocks from home.

Peaches, plums, pomegranates, mangos, papayas etc are available year round. Our figs are not the greatest, but the dried blond ones from Europe are wonderful. All the vegetables are beautiful and flavorful. I'm not a vegetarian, but I can't remember the last time I bought meat. There's simply no need for the stuff. I have cancer and meat keeps ones body acid, which stimulates cancer growth, so for the past 13 years I've really relied on fruits and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2013

Apples, bananas, carrots, potatoes, onions.

by Anonymousreply 1701/20/2013

Carrots, onions, and celery.

Garlic and shallots.

Romaine lettuce.

Bananas and apples.

Always. We just used the last of the garlic last night and I'm feeling anxious. I always keep a running amount in my head of each of these. Right now, I know we're out of garlic and down to one onion.

More often than not, we'll have lemon and limes too. Cuz I'm partial to a cocktail in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 1801/20/2013

None, frozen vegetables, that's it, but they're used with every meal.

by Anonymousreply 1901/20/2013

Strawberries are in already (thank you global warming!), so I get those 2-for-$5.00 tubs at Kroger's. Also, always buy a huge bag of spinach and eat a handful with supper.

During winter, I buy canned fruit and serve it over waffles, with yogurt on top.

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2013

Sarah Palin

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!