Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George W. Bush won’t attend inauguration

January 19, 2013

(NECN) - Former President George W. Bush will not be there on Monday when President Obama takes the oath of office for a second time.

A statement to NBC News reads, “President and Mrs. Bush wish President Obama and his family all the best for a wonderful inaugural weekend."

No reason was given for Bush's absence. His father, former President George H.W. Bush, will not be there either.

by Anonymousreply 6801/21/2013

I'm guessing Former Vice President Cheney will also be sending his regrets?

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

It's amazing how irrelevant this former President is becoming, isn't it? Huge contrast with Bill Clinton who remains an influential figure and was a big star at the DNC this year.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

He's still a few pages away from the end of "My Pet Goat."

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

Well, let's be honest, R3, he was never really president. He was just the charismatic frontman (for some) of The Cheney Administration. GWB was always just the electable face of Dick Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

Dubya is the first and only president who had to stay in his limo during his inauguration ceremony (the stolen one) because there were protesters pelting his car with eggs and shouting anti-Bush slogans at him.

As Bush was leaving in a helicopter after the President Obama's first inauguration, some of the crowd was singing "Na-na-na-na. Hey-hey-hey, GOODBYE!" I'm sure he doesn't want to go through any of that ever again.

Same with Chaney.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Is Bush seen much in public? It kind of strikes me that he's become a shut-in.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

[quote] It kind of strikes me that he's become a shut-in.

He knows that he has a lot to answer for (and doesn't have the ability to answer) so he is indeed keeping a low profile.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

If nothing else, you'd think the moron Bush would recognise that attending the inauguration is symbolic of much-needed closing of the divide between the American people. You think he'd be there for his country but, I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

Well, at least it will mean one fewer headache for the Secret Service that day.

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

He doesn't want to be sitting there while hearing Obama mention the wrecked economy he had been handed four years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

[quote]He knows that he has a lot to answer for (and doesn't have the ability to answer) so he is indeed keeping a low profile.

Pfffft. As if. Bu$h -- the same one who couldn't think of a single mistake that he'd made? I highly doubt that he thinks that he has anything to answer for.

Happily, we have't seen him and I'd like to keep it that way. He's likely been on a four-year bender -- drunk off his ass as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1701/20/2013

If W wasn't invited to the Republican Convention, why would he show up at BO's second day of triumph?

by Anonymousreply 1901/20/2013

I didn't realize former presidents are invited to a re-election inauguration. I know they have to go to the first election inauguration when they are the outgoing president

I'm sure the Obamas are thrilled that the horrible bush family didn't show up

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2013

R20 Oh, I don't know. Those twins used to be pretty good partiers.

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2013

His father is gravely ill. No doubt this is the reason. Bush still has the balls to attend the 9/11 anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2013

Carter should be there. His family is in a large part why Obama is getting sworn in again.

by Anonymousreply 2301/20/2013

Does anyone really want them there? Doubtful

Bush 1 is still very sick so I can see him not going. W is probably still afraid to show his face in public.

by Anonymousreply 2401/20/2013

[quote]Well, let's be honest, [R3], he was never really president. He was just the charismatic frontman (for some) of The Cheney Administration. GWB was always just the electable face of Dick Cheney.

Cheney was shut out at the end of Bush's presidency.

by Anonymousreply 2501/20/2013

Well, R26, like George W. Bush said, he is The Decider. Remember his own famous quote about the presidency - "If this were a dictatorship it would be a heck of a lot easier... as long as I'm the dictator. Hehehe."

by Anonymousreply 2701/20/2013

Well yeah R25. After all the damage was done.

by Anonymousreply 2801/20/2013

It's nothing personal. We don't associate with negros in general.

by Anonymousreply 2901/20/2013

Why should he attend if he doesn't want to? I think it's only in the last 25 years that every non-dead former President shows up. I mean, it's nice to be automatically invited, but really it's just window dressing, right?

by Anonymousreply 3001/20/2013

The inauguration falls on Martin Luther King Day, so this is working out quite well for people who need to miss work to attend the festivities -- that is, if they work at all.

by Anonymousreply 3101/20/2013

He's pulling an LBJ, growing his hair out, railing at imaginary dead soldiers that he sent to die and slowly drinking himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 3201/20/2013

LBJ grew his hair out? I'd pay to see that.

by Anonymousreply 3301/20/2013

Easy to find, R33. There's no need to pay.

by Anonymousreply 3401/20/2013

"Why should he attend if he doesn't want to?"

How nice that he gets a choice. Because it's not like the people had any choice in the matter of him becoming President in the first place.

It's completely disrespectful. As a former President, he should go. If the elder Bush weren't so sick, he would have gone. That's what you do.

One time every four years to show your face is a lot to ask? Come on. And at this time, when the parties are so divided, it's a good show of support.

As for the not wanting to face public humiliation, tough shit. A few boos and jeers is nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3501/20/2013

Lyndon and I wanted to be hippies when we left the White House. We grew our hair out, and wore ponchos and love beads around the house in Texas. I called him Sunflower and he called me Prairie Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 3601/20/2013

Cheney's in Aspen, darling. Enjoying all the money Haliburton continues to bestow upon him.

by Anonymousreply 3701/20/2013

[quote] Cheney was shut out at the end of Bush's presidency

yeah, after he ruined the world. The damage had already been done

by Anonymousreply 3801/20/2013

[quote] It's amazing how irrelevant this former President is becoming, isn't it?

He's keeping a low profile hoping his idiocy will fade from memory. Then he'll try to rehabilitate himself.

by Anonymousreply 3901/20/2013

He's busy drinking.

by Anonymousreply 4001/20/2013

He'd rather sit on his ass and do nothing, which is basically what he's always done.

by Anonymousreply 4101/20/2013

drunk

by Anonymousreply 4201/20/2013

You are quite uninformed if you believe that he is in any way hiding in shame and/or contrite. He travels outside the country more often than many would expect, including for "charitable" reasons, and, like President Clinton, he often speaks for lucrative fees. He's even spoken jointly with Clinton at non-public, compensated events.

by Anonymousreply 4301/20/2013

[quote]He travels outside the country more often than many would expect,

You are quite uninformed if you believe this baloney. There are warrents out for his arrest for war crimes that keep him from many nations.

by Anonymousreply 4401/20/2013

"There are warrents out for his arrest for war crimes that keep him from many nations"

Not quite. R44.

by Anonymousreply 4501/20/2013

I could post many more sources, but I'll leave it at this for now. I think he and his administration were a disaster for this country and much of the world, but I also don't deny facts that are quite easily verifiable.

"U.S. President George W. Bush visits Zambia to combat HIV/AIDS" - July 4, 2012

by Anonymousreply 4601/20/2013

I for one hope that he's been busy drinking himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 4701/20/2013

Notice he won't go to Europe. Where he is HATED.

by Anonymousreply 4801/20/2013

If you'll recall, he never traveled BEFORE he was President, either.

by Anonymousreply 4901/20/2013

Bush's Swiss visit off after complaints on torture --- reuters.com

George Bush calls off trip to Switzerland --- The Guardian

Bush's Shrinking World --- Democracy Now

Bush cancels Europe trip amid calls for his arrest --- Salon.com

George W. Bush cancels Switzerland visit over fears of arrest --- Daily Mail

WAR CRIMINAL GEORGE W. BUSH WANTED IN CANADA --- Global Research

George W. Bush Cans Swiss Trip as Groups Promise Prosecution for War Crimes --- ABC News

by Anonymousreply 5001/20/2013

Amnesty International insisted that “Anywhere in the world that he travels, President Bush could face investigation and potential prosecution for his responsibility for torture and other crimes in international law, particularly in any of the 147 countries that are party to the U.N. convention against torture."

by Anonymousreply 5101/20/2013

Who's Afraid of War Crimes Prosecution? Cheney Cancels Canada Trip -- Global Research

by Anonymousreply 5201/20/2013

In R45's link to show how safe Bush is from prosecution, Jeff Stein wrote in February 2011: [italic]John Dinges, author of "The Condor Years: How Pinochet and his Allies Brought Terrorism to Three Continents," pointed out that Bush had to be indicted somewhere before he could be arrested--which leaves him little cause for worry.[/italic]

Then in May 2012, Stein's claim could no longer hold up because there is an indictment.

In the first verdict of its kind since former President George W. Bush left office, he and several members of his administration have been successfully convicted in absentia of war crimes in Malaysia.

This past Friday, a five panel tribunal delivered a unanimous guilty verdict after a week long trial that, unsurprisingly, was not covered by American media. The witnesses included several ex-Guantanamo detainees that gave testimony on the conditions and human rights violations that were systematically carried out under orders of the Bush administration.

Former President Bush, Former Vice-President Dick Cheney, Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and the legal advisers Alberto Gonzales, David Addington, William Haynes, Jay Bybee and John Yoo that crafted the legal ‘justification’ for torture that basically said, ‘we can if we want to even if it’s illegal’ were the defendants. None were present, of course, but international war crime trials do not require the presence of the accused. The trial was run according to the standards set by the Nuremberg Trials to convict war criminals after World War II.

Professor Gurdial Singh Nijar, who headed the prosecution said, “The tribunal was very careful to adhere scrupulously to the regulations drawn up by the Nuremberg courts and the International Criminal Courts”.

The United States is subject to international law which makes this trial significant beyond the borders of Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 5301/20/2013

Since the arrest of the late Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet in London in 1998, international leaders can no longer be confident of immunity. Israeli politicians have cancelled trips to London and elsewhere for fear of arrest warrants.

Human rights groups, however, believe the threat of legal action did ultimately force Bush to alter his travel plans, and they say they will continue to press for prosecution of Bush if he travels to other countries who are signatories to the Geneva Conventions.

"Waterboarding is torture, and Bush has admitted, without any sign of remorse, that he approved its use," said Katherine Gallagher, an attorney with the New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights.

by Anonymousreply 5401/20/2013

Lawyers against the War (LAW) filed a report with the United Nations Committee Against Torture (CAT) alleging that Canada repeatedly violated the Convention against Torture by allowing George W. Bush to enter Canada and then failing to arrest and prosecution him for torture. LAW states that Canada has also violated Convention obligations by failing to educate those in charge of law enforcement including police, civil servants and elected officials, about Canada’s duty to prosecute torture suspects—wherever and against whomever the torture occurred—when either the victim is a citizen or the suspect is in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 5501/20/2013

From March 2012:

Former US Vice President Dick Cheney and his daughter, Elizabeth, have cancelled a planned speaking engagement at Toronto’s Metro Convention Centre next month, citing safety concerns. According to the president of the promotion company that booked Cheney for the April 24th speech, “He felt that in Canada the risk of violent protest was simply too high. They specifically referenced what happened in Vancouver.”

The reference is to a fierce protest of Cheney’s speech in British Columbia last September which necessitated the use of Vancouver riot police and [bold]kept Cheney locked inside the speaking venue for seven hours[/bold] while crowds were dispersed.

Other Washington insiders, too, have been forced to be careful with their travel arrangements due to the possibility that they will be prosecuted for war crimes. Famously, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger has had to be careful about where and how he travels, as he has been linked to war crimes in Indochina, Bangladesh, Chile, Cyprus and East Timor, and could be arrested under the Geneva Conventions Act in any country that is a signatory to that convention.

by Anonymousreply 5601/21/2013

Bush's only trips out of the United States prior to becoming President...Were to Tijuana.

Seriously. That fucker HAS NO curiosity (but it's safe to infer, a disdain) about the rest of the world. His dad was the Ambassador to China. Nothing. Not even a trip to London or Paris. That coke addled, closeted fag couldn't be bothered to leave the country. Unless it was to a pharmacia and a donkey show.

All that money and he never even went to the fucking Bahamas. He's what is wrong with America. But with money and and armies at his disposal.

by Anonymousreply 5701/21/2013

[quote]armies at his disposal.

Yet he went AWOL from the Texas Air National Guard, did not ever get an Honorable Discharge and, to this day, is a military deserter.

by Anonymousreply 5801/21/2013

I agree he was absolutely not obligated to go. I don't get OP's point. Why should he have gone?

by Anonymousreply 5901/21/2013

He won't be missed.

by Anonymousreply 6001/21/2013

OP wasn't making a personal point. He simply called our attention to the fact that former president George W. isn't attending the inaugural.

You can bet he'd have attended if Romney had won.

by Anonymousreply 6101/21/2013

[quote]Is Bush seen much in public? It kind of strikes me that he's become a shut-in.

Bush admits that he has gone into political exile in Texas, although he claims it is self-imposed.

by Anonymousreply 6201/21/2013

You can bet he'd have attended if Romney had won.

Again, I don't get this. Why [italic]shouldn't[/italic] he attend an inauguration for someone from his own party, and decline an invitation from someone from the opposing party?

You make it sound like he's insulting Obama because he's bad; but 2nd inaugurations are not big deals. There's not much reason to attend a 2nd inauguration (that's going to be a private swearing-in in the first place) if you're from an opposing party. I would not have expected Carter or Clinton to attend GWBush's 2nd inauguration either.

by Anonymousreply 6301/21/2013

[quote]I agree he was absolutely not obligated to go. I don't get OP's point. Why should he have gone?

Former Presidents almost always go to inaugurations - even when elderly. President Carter is expected to attend. Both Bushes were there 4 years ago.

The Senior Bush has a legitimate reason to attend since he was recently in the hospital and just got back home, but the younger Bush not so much.

by Anonymousreply 6401/21/2013

[quote]Carter should be there. His family is in a large part why Obama is getting sworn in again.

Carter is expected to attend - he's in better health than Bush I.

And yes, it was Carter's son who helped get the 47% tape out.

by Anonymousreply 6501/21/2013

[quote]Former Presidents almost always go to inaugurations - even when elderly.

They almost always go to first inaugurations--not to second ones for re-elected presidents.

[quote]President Carter is expected to attend.

President Carter is a Democrat.

[quote]Both Bushes were there 4 years ago.

That was President Obama's [italic]first[/italic]inauguration. First inaugurations are much bigger deals than second inaugurations.

by Anonymousreply 6601/21/2013

[quote] And yes, it was Carter's son who helped get the 47% tape out.

No.

by Anonymousreply 6701/21/2013

[quote]And yes, it was Carter's son who helped get the 47% tape out.

It was his grandson, not his son.

by Anonymousreply 6801/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!