Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Former Madison Ave. Retail Queen here

I used to work in a small boutique on Madison Ave, and looking back on it, I am amazed at the number of legends and celebs who I ended up helping.

Barbara Walters, Bette Midler, Shirley MacLaine, Yoko Ono, Julie Andrews, Liza Minelli, Natalie Cole, Roberta Flack, Lee Radziwill, Caroline Kennedy, Anita Baker, Joy Behar, Jane Paulie, Anette Bening, Joan Didion, Ina Garten, Amy Poehler, Paula Zahn, Ed Rusha, Tracey Ulman, Lou Reed, Tea Leoni, David Duchovny, Donna Karan, Pierce Brosnan, Kathy Bates and others I am sure I have forgotten.

Interesting stories, each one, some cold some disarmingly sweet. Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 6701/26/2013

Who differed most from their public image?

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

They have "marital aid" stores on Madison Ave.?

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

OP Here

Bette Midler was the cold one, lacking any sense of humor about herself. That is the one person I would say differed most from their public "onstage" image.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

Who was surprisingly nice?

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

How was Joan Didion? Icy and barely functional?

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

Was Jane Pauley a nut job? She started acting a little ... off well before she revealed she was bipolar.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Did Duchovny have a VPL?

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

Yes R5, extremely frail as well. I think she came in the store when she was writing The Year Magical Thinking. So I am sure she wasn't in the best place.

Liza Minelli is the one who is disarmingly sweet. She is exactly what you would expect, and very unguarded. She came in a lot since she lives just over on 68th st. I remember when she was filming SATC she came in and told us about it, giving away the entire plot and her Single Ladies routine. She actually performed the choreography right there in the store, two feet away from me. I was like, "You have to be fucking kidding me, Liza Minelli is performing right in front of me." Very cool lady and as scattered as you would expect. Her assistant is as down to earth as you can imagine and a hockey mom. Liza would hold the door for the UPS man. She is as real as you can get, not a show.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

R7, sex on a stick. Sexy, smoldering, long-limbed duded. I was looking for the VPL for sure. He would sit on the bench in the store, arms thrown over the back and legs swinging wide open. My lesbian manager even had a crush on him and of course Tea as well, who is exceedingly butch. Tea would ask my manager for advice and my manager would practically get panic attacks because she was so into her.

Jane Pauley seemed even-keeled for the most part. She was only in the once.

Annette would get mom of the year award.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

Did any of them shit in the changing room?

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

I'm curious about Anita Baker and Amy Poehler. I'm sure Lou Reed was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

Thanks for the DD gossip

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

OP, spill on the people who were not so nice.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

Guess he had to go to bed. More tomorrow OP, this is fun.

by Anonymousreply 1401/20/2013

[quote]I'm curious about Anita Baker and Amy Poehler. I'm sure Lou Reed was horrible.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

My prediction. Anita and Lou = total cunts. Amy = lovely.

(crossing my fingers)

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

[quote]Did any of them shit in the changing room?

I bet Julie Andrews did.

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2013

Was Anita Baker's credit card declined?

by Anonymousreply 1701/20/2013

Did it . . . take Caroline Kennedy, um, an unusually long, er, time to--you know, say what she, um, wanted?

by Anonymousreply 1801/20/2013

Did any of the celebrities speak to the staff through their assistants? As in they refused to converse with the staff themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1901/20/2013

Did any of them act like cunts? or just cuntish?

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2013

Did Yoko Ono ullulate horrible sounds?

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2013

Anita Baker was actually nice, she just popped in for a second looking for directions. I posted my story about her in the Anita Baker thread a while back. She came in looking for directions and was very unassuming and apologized because she wasn't a New Yorker and didn't know her way around.

Lou Reed as cool too. Small feet for a guy (around size 8). So you know I worked in a shoe store now. Funny enough I had sold him something at another store years earlier, so it was nice to see him again.

No one was a real monster, although as you can imagine Barbara Walters was a cold one. Not mean, just standoffish and didn't like people approaching her. Very sweet to her assistant though and her daughter. Anything her daughter wanted she would get her two. Same for her assistant, this black woman who was just about her age and has been with her close to 40 years if not more.

Yoko Ono's driver used to shop for her sometimes. He would take stuff out to the car and she would role the window down and decide if she wanted it. That was the same guy who tried to extort her and was fired and deported. He was kind of a sexy eastern-european daddy. Was sad to see him go. But Yoko, again, down to earth, shopping through the sales wrack with everyone else. If you had a white shoe, Yoko was down for it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2013

Was Caroline Kennedy as big of a bitch as she seems? Was Amy Poehler funny?

by Anonymousreply 2301/20/2013

R22, that is hilarious about Yoko

by Anonymousreply 2401/20/2013

more about bette midler please... was she nasty or just aloof?

by Anonymousreply 2501/20/2013

OP dropped more names in the original post than Charlie has dropped all year.

by Anonymousreply 2601/20/2013

Yes R26, but at least the OP isn't insufferable about it

Did Yoko wear gloves?

by Anonymousreply 2701/20/2013

Who was the biggest spender? Who was the cheapest?

by Anonymousreply 2801/20/2013

Which one would you have called "cuntastic"?

by Anonymousreply 2901/20/2013

I met Liza Minnelli briefly a couple of times and my story is the same as the OP's. She's a lovely woman with no bullshit "star" persona at all. She treats everyone equally and with kindness.

by Anonymousreply 3001/20/2013

Yeah...but did they shit in the changing rooms?

by Anonymousreply 3101/21/2013

[Did Yoko wear gloves?]

Only during the full body cavity search she gave OP.

by Anonymousreply 3201/21/2013

Another request for Amy Poehler details.

by Anonymousreply 3301/21/2013

Roberta Flak was the cheapest just because I think she had the least money of all. She wears this ratty blond weave or wig all the time and can look a bit homeless. I remember her raving about some gigs she got in Europe that were paying her well.

Yoko Ono is another cool lady, down to earth. Didn't talk though, but was no big diva either.

Barbara Walters could spend a lot. You got the feeling she has a lot of money. She would drop a couple of thousand, no problem. For our little store that was big. For that matter Liza dropped a lot of money too.

Amy Poehler was in for a quick second. This is when she was pregnant the first time, and her feet were too swollen, as she said, to be trying on shoes.

Bette Midler was just aloof, and didn't seem to want to be engaged on any level. Just get me what I asked for type of attitude.

Julie Andrews was a doll. And Shirley Maclaine was as kooky and fun as you can imagine. They would both tie in a Big Head Contest. Huge heads on both of the ladies. I am talking skull size. Shirley would come in with her dogs that she wrote about. One day she came in with her dogs, a gay, and these shoes with springs on them, if you can imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 3401/22/2013

Natalie Cole's eyes are stunning. She is a tall beautiful woman too. This was before her illness, just really pretty.

by Anonymousreply 3501/22/2013

Was Ina a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 3701/22/2013

Is it true that Bette Midler only talks to strangers through her "staff"? And that she HATES the gays for "ruining her career"? And that her biggest cashcow are re-runs of Beaches?

by Anonymousreply 3801/22/2013

How could the gays "ruin" Bette's career? She wouldn't have a career without gay men.

by Anonymousreply 3901/22/2013

OP is a sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 4101/22/2013

Love OP! Love that Liza is so sweet. Glad it's not an act.

Post more!

by Anonymousreply 4201/22/2013

"role" down the window"?

sales "wrack"?

Oy gevalt!

by Anonymousreply 4301/22/2013

R26, I could have because most of my dropping comes from working in a similar fancy store years ago near Mad Ave where practically every celebrity of the day shopped and some I got to know quite well.

Milder never came in. Only time I ever saw her was returning from the Fire Island Pines where she was tending her brother quite tenderly on the boat.

I had the same experiences with Yoko and Bahbawa and Liza. Never met Caroline but got to know her mother and Bunny Mellon quite well!

Also lots more men on my list!

by Anonymousreply 4401/22/2013

[quote]How could the gays "ruin" Bette's career? She wouldn't have a career without gay men.

She's so associated with being a gay icon, a camp joke, in the public's mind that she isn't taken seriously as an artist. She hates that.

by Anonymousreply 4501/22/2013

Who were the other men?

Did anyone ping?

Who had nice feet? Did you work in a store with dressing rooms and potential for shirtlesness?

by Anonymousreply 4601/22/2013

Dish, charlie, dish!

Who were your favorite male celeb clients??

by Anonymousreply 4701/22/2013

Swish, Charlie, Swish!

by Anonymousreply 4801/22/2013

Was Ina wearing one of her trademark shents?

by Anonymousreply 4901/22/2013

She wore earrings, and caftans!

by Anonymousreply 5001/22/2013

[quote]She's so associated with being a gay icon, a camp joke, in the public's mind that she isn't taken seriously as an artist. She hates that.

No doubt, she's moved on, if that were true. In NYC, Bette is taken seriously as an environmentalist. She's been doing a great job with the NYRP and that's obviously a major undertaking.

by Anonymousreply 5101/22/2013

r45, she'd probably hate scrubbing toilets more, which is what she'd be doing if it wasn't for her gay fans.

by Anonymousreply 5201/22/2013

[quote]Only time I ever saw her was returning from the Fire Island Pines where she was tending her brother quite tenderly on the boat.

I used to hang with people in LA who were in her circle and got invited to go backstage at one of her concerts. The friend who took me was charged with getting her brother (who was mentally and physically challenged) a Video Camera which she was giving him after her show for his birthday. It was clear she adored him. He was a sweet kid. The feeling I came away with was that she was a really nice, normal person. She came over and chatted with me, a nobody, completely intimidating me, but she couldn't have been nicer. I heard her brother passed away, sadly. He was quite young. Don't know if it is true.

by Anonymousreply 5301/22/2013

thank you r53.

by Anonymousreply 5401/22/2013

Ina was nice. Her feet got too wide for our shoes, so she stopped coming in. Her NYC apartment is actually just down the block from the store, so I would see her passing by all the time. She would wave hello. One of my keepsakes from the job is her address in the Hamptons that she wrote out for me for a delivery. That is her house that they film in.

by Anonymousreply 5501/23/2013

So she's the barefoot cuntessa because her feet are too wide for shoes. Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 5601/23/2013

I'm sure this helped Bette Midler garner a broader fan base uninflected by an overly flamboyant gay public:

by Anonymousreply 5701/23/2013

Do sell guys' shoes, too?

by Anonymousreply 5801/24/2013

Did Ina have a flatulence problem? I've heard she has a lil problem with gas.

by Anonymousreply 5901/24/2013

OP, I would love to hear specific Julie Andrews stories!

by Anonymousreply 6001/24/2013

Did OP ever return?

by Anonymousreply 6101/24/2013

Ina never wore panties when she came into our store to try on shoes. She was a big fan of the up-skirt oopsie. Fat rolls, labia folds... same thing.

by Anonymousreply 6201/24/2013

OP Here.

Julie Andrews was just in one time. I really don't have much to say about her, other than she was a nice lady and had a huge head from what I remember. Same size as Shirley Maclaine's.

There are certain people who can go unnoticed by anyone when they come in and others who stop all conversation. Pierce Brosnan was one who stopped all conversation. He is what you would call dashing. You get used to seeing someone on screen, but when you see them in person, their personae / looks are intensified. He is someone who is attractive onscreen, but aura wise kind of breathtaking in person.

by Anonymousreply 6301/24/2013

[quote]kind of breathtaking in person.

He indeed took our collective breaths away...but forgot to hold his in.

I'd still do him

by Anonymousreply 6401/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 6501/25/2013

OP Here.

I forgot to add Kathleen Turner came in a couple of times. She is one of those people that most people off the street wouldn't recognize. But as soon as she opened her mouth, everyone knew who she was.

She looked like she liked a good drink. She was really puffy, but I assume that was due to medicine for arthritis.

by Anonymousreply 6601/26/2013

Has OP returned?

by Anonymousreply 6701/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!