Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janis Joplin at 70

Who would be doing her birthday interview today? Barbara? Piers?

Would she be mellow at 70? Would she go back to her Judy Collins voice that she started with?

by Anonymousreply 1305/30/2013

At 70???

Had she not died at 27, she would have died at 28.

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

She had a very pleasant voice but figured her looks wouldn't sell that voice, so she took on the voice of a Black male blues singer.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

"Would she be mellow at 70? "

Decomposition has that effect.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

Her voice would be long gone, with the technique she used she wouldn't have been able to sustain a long career.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

See Dylan, Paul McCartney, Lou Reed, Rolling Stones, etc., and you'll have a pretty good idea of the possibilities.

Will there ever be a viable rock and roll performer who is over 50?

It's a young person's game.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

If Janis were alive, she might have been nicely retired and pursuing other creative pursuits like painting or writing like her contemporary Grace Slick.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Headlining at Michfest.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2013

Janis could never reach 70. Even if she hadn't died in her late twenties, the date of her death, still, wouldn't be that far from that age. She was drinking like a fish and she had a passion for drugs. She loved drugs and booze, she couldn't live without them. She was always so far away...miles away from an ordinary life.

She could sing the blues like a dynamite. She was such a raw diamond. Unforgettable figure of the blues, she really gave rock amazing moments. She was truly passionate.

by Anonymousreply 805/30/2013

John Gilmore writes about Janis Joplin in 'Laid Bare':

There wasn’t anything more important than being stoned, she said, except “lovin’,” but even that was more rewarding if you were high. She was probably good at “lovin’,” she claimed, but because she wasn’t a glamour queen she didn’t think she’d score so hot in that department, either. “People I want to ball,” she said, “just don’t seem to be on the same wavelength as me.”

Janis wanted to know if James Dean was queer. I didn’t believe he was, but that was a whole other can of peas. “It wouldn’t bother me,” she said. “I know queers that’re okay, and it only makes a problem if you want to ball someone who doesn’t want to ball you, or who’s queer for someone of their own sex . . . If you ball your friends you don’t get Janis Joplin into hassles about people being hung up... It can be a guy or a chick in the sack,” she said, rambling on, “and that’s what makes you even more a freak.”

After hanging around Grant and talking to Janis, I got the feeling she pushed the hard-ass speed act to cover something else. I didn’t know clearly what it was. Dick said she was scared and mixed up and it was almost impossible to get a look at what she wanted to hide, like she wasn’t in touch with it at all.

by Anonymousreply 905/30/2013

Look what a creative person did with Lennon and Joplin! Loved it. Bravo. Nice job.

by Anonymousreply 1005/30/2013

Janis died of an accidental overdose. It was not a suicide. And she wasn't Garland. There were periods where she was sober.

She was engaged to be married, and was looking forward to Pearl being released and beginning a new chapter of her life before that unfortunate night. It is not inconceivable that she could have eventually cleaned up her life.

by Anonymousreply 1105/30/2013

The crypt keeper

by Anonymousreply 1205/30/2013

R11, i really doubt she could just open a new chapter in her life. If you read some almost apocalyptic incidents that are described in 'Laid Bare' about her, you will understand what i mean. I also doubt that her marriage to that man could have lasted anyway, it wasn't exactly pure love. In addition, i really doubt that she could give up drugs so easily. They gave her the mood to sing, the mood to carry on, they made way for her unbearable passion. She also needed the booze to relax from the intensity that drugs were giving her. She was doomed to live the blues to the full.

The sixties was a relentless time for people like Janis. She couldn't escape them. She was trapped in that time.

by Anonymousreply 1305/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.