Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When actors are in the middle of filming what turns out to be a bad movie, do they know it's a stinker at the time?

I'm thinking of Riding the Bus with My Sister, Forrest Gump, The Help, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2013

A famous Hollywood saying is "Nobody sets out to make a bad picture". I think people are realistic, but hope for the best.

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

I needed the work!

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2013

We'll fix it in post.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2013

Tom Hanks won an Oscar for Forrest Gump, OP. It didn't turn out to be a bad movie for him.

You are weird and childish.

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2013

Forrest Gump was a mawkish, embarrassing piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013

Apparently, Kyle Maclachlan walked out of the premiere of "Showgirls". I wonder if he had one of those awakenings during filming.

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2013

My favorite example is Aliens 3: the cashing out.

Writers changed frequently, scripts changed daily, and the director received more and more input from producers.

I think many bad films could have been salvaged if the promised cast remained intact. There are so many stories of shooting schedules that missed actor's availability windows.

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2013

"Forrest Gump" is embarrassing crap adored by the idiotic masses at the moment. Who could sit through it again? Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2013

You're viewing it wrong, R8.

A reviewer said the movie is a snapshot of Modern Society in that all the intelligent three-dimensional characters suffer while the moron blunders his way to the top.

by Anonymousreply 901/19/2013

Sometimes they know, sometimes they don't, sometimes they know but delude themselves into thinking it'll be all right.

Sometimes they actually make an okay movie and it gets cut to shit in post.

by Anonymousreply 1001/19/2013

I don't know why you'd imagine Hanks would ever realize Gump was a stinker, let alone while he was making it. He's known for commercial crap, not art.

by Anonymousreply 1101/19/2013

I think some actors are too egotistical to admit something they are doing could be anything but gold. Others may realize it but not speak out for fear over damaging their career by not being seen as a team player. Only later on do they reveal what they really thought (see Kathy Bates re: Titanic)

R4 you do realize the Oscars have nothing to do with artistic merit and are nothing more than a marketing ploy designed to get your ass in a theater seat and money in a producers wallet, right?

by Anonymousreply 1201/19/2013

An interview with Barry Sonnenfeld revealed that the crew often nickname the movies they're working on. 'Compromising Positions' became 'ComPost.'

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

Erm, OP? There are far, far worse films than the ones you mention. I've not seen Riding The Bus... but the other two are very popular films even if they aren't to your taste.

The truly bad ones might only show up on movie channels.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

Did Kathy Bates trash Titanic? I didn't hear that.

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2013

I heard that the actors in The Giant Claw (1957) were promised big budget special effects and did their best filming their scenes. Then at the premier the monster looked so ridiculous and amateurish the audience laughed at it, to the humiliation of the actors.

by Anonymousreply 1701/20/2013

Why do real actors appear in guaranteed stinkers like Madonna's "W.E."? Andrea Riseborough she did it anyway, and I can see why. She herself got a paycheck, good reviews, lots of publicity, and as Madonna got 100% of the blame for the ensuing financial disaster - her career wasn't actually harmed. In fact, she showed that she can give a good performance without the guidance of a competent director, so she may have come out ahead.

So yeah, I'm sure that actors know they're in bad projects all the time, but they have to work. And they hope to get somethingn positive out of it.

by Anonymousreply 1901/20/2013

"What a timely, relevant anecdote, R17."

-- said by no one, ever

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2013

Have another glass, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2013

As long as the check clears.

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.