Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Singer silences his stutter with song on 'American Idol'

The biggest story by far was Lazaro Arbos. Arbos has a stutter bad enough that even a simple sentence is difficult for him, and the judges had to help him get the words out when he told them the name of his song. But as soon as he broke out “Bridge Over Troubled Waters,” all of that went away, and he got four yes votes from the overwhelmed panel.

Video:

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013

That made me tear up a little. The stutter kept kids away from him as he was growing up and you could feel the pain that is still in him.

Maybe he will get more confident as the series goes on and really let that voice out. I hope so.

Sweet and cute guy.

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

Aww, I was happy for him, even though I hate that show. He's a cute gay boy, and he'll get lots of boyfriends after this airs.

In other news, Nikki Minaj is such a cunt... She just radiates sourness. At least Mariah seems warm, her own problems notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2013

Next week they force him to perform Phil Collin's 'Sussudio'.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2013

Very moving, but I just wish to the gay gods that Mariah would have interrupted his story and said, I'm sorry Miss, but I have problems of my own!

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2013

Good voice. Touching, lovely boy.

Why is Nikki Minaj filled with venom?

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013

Nikki looks like a creepy clown in that clip. Why is she so bitter-looking? I hope she fades into obscurity soon.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Very touching. That kid is cute. Should have no trouble getting laid in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

So cute. Would love to be his friend.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

I thought he went on, when was he cut? Tune in tonight and they chose that ridiculous Charlie Askew screeching "Rocket Man"? No star quality between anyone left. Going to be a really really boring season

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

The same thing happened more than ten years ago on Pop Idol in the UK with Gareth Gates.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

You DO realize this is not an amazing thing. The part of your brain that controls speech does not control singing. In fact stroke victims have been able to sing but unable to speak.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2013

[quote]I thought he went on, when was he cut? Tune in tonight and they chose that ridiculous Charlie Askew screeching "Rocket Man"? No star quality between anyone left. Going to be a really really boring season

Charlie should have been eliminated, simply because the way he was dressed...aside from his bad singing.

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2013

We only saw half the guys last night, the other 10 (including Lazaro) perform next week, and 5 of them will go on to the semi-finals where the phone voting begins.

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2013

[quote]You DO realize this is not an amazing thing. The part of your brain that controls speech does not control singing. In fact stroke victims have been able to sing but unable to speak.

It may not be uncommon but it is AMAZING.

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2013

I'm with you, R14. I have never been able to understand why some people who stutter very badly can sing with no problem at all. I mean, when you're singing, you're still required to form words, it's just that you're sustaining each syllable on a particular pitch. I guess maybe it's the sustaining part that somehow makes a big difference?

As for R11's statement "the part of your brain that controls speech does not control singing" -- I'm not sure that's correct, and even if it is basically correct, I think it's a tremendous oversimplification.

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.