Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

RIPPER STREET with Matthew McFadyen

Anyone watching?

This could be as big a hit here as Downton Abbey!

Love anything McFadyen does. And American Adam Rothenberg is easy on the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2013

Liking it so far...the American seems anachronistic but he is hot!

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

Mr. Selfridge is the next Downton Abbey, except it's much. much better. And I don't even like Jeremy Piven.

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2013

Mr. Selfridge is much better as a series than Paradise was on the BBC. They deal with the same basic story, the opening of a department store. Paradise had a gorgeous male lead, put a ridiculous, syrupy story line that was unbelievable.

Selfridge is supposed to be true, Selfridge was not in anyway like Piven.'

Piven is horrible in the role, really bad. He simply cannot act. That said I like the series so far very much and I am trying to ignore him. It isn't as good as Downton, but it is beautifully staged and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

Ripper Street began last night (Saturday) in the NY area at 9 PM on BBC America. Check it out, it's fun, smart and sexy.

But has Mr. Selfridge started yet in the US?

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

What is this Mr. Selfridge?

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Whitechapel was better.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

The Beeb is desperate. They passed on Downton. They have that horrible Blandings period series starring Jennifer Saunders which they commissioned to compete with DA.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

I'm in love with Matthew McFadyen.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

He looks like he's been boozin' though.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

Me too R9 but R10 is correct. He does look like he's gained a little since his Mr. Darcy role. His face was thinner and more chiseled. Maybe he dieted and worked out for the role?

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

I can't find Mr Selfridge in my listings.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

Actually, I think Matthew is now looking slimmer and handsomer than he has in the few years since Pride and Prejudice. He must have realized he was heading too far into character roles and losing out on leading man parts.

If you've never seen him in the BBC's brilliant version of Trollope's The Way We Live Now you might be shocked by how truly yummy he was 10 or 15 years ago. Far better (and younger obviously) than he was in P & P.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

Mr Selfridge premieres in the US on PBS on March 31st. It's not here yet.

by Anonymousreply 1401/20/2013

The first episode of Ripper Street will be rerun in the US tonight at 11pm Eastern/10pm Central on BBC America.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2013

[quote]Mr Selfridge premieres in the US on PBS on March 31st. It's not here yet.

Oh, for Christ's sake....

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.