Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Computer Repair: Freeing Up Space

This is for anyone can help. I'd appreciate it.

I'm not aware how to free up space on the computer. I've had mine since 2009. Originally a terabyte on the hard drive. Had the backup drive installed with a terabyte. Now, everything is on the lowside. I do have pictures, videos, and music. (The last two are on iTunes.) Can anyone help?

C drive (hard): 101 GB (916 GB)

D drive (recovery): 3.44 GB (14.6 GB)

F drive (backup): 54.8 GB (1.36 TB)

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013

I use CCleaner, a free utility.

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

If there are large files (like movies) that you don't want anymore, then go ahead and delete them. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to free up any space on your computer -- you have HEAPS of space left.

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2013

R2,

It seems so run down.

I figured it was the combination of pictures, videos, music, and podcasts. I've had time after time alerts to free up space on the D (recovery) and F (backup) drives. Especially backup. And I've done them. And still I get this kind of report that I have a small fraction now of the original space from the main and backup drives.

Thank for your help.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2013

I should add that the majority of space that you'd be able to free up would be from files that you would need to choose to delete on your own (videos, pics, music). There are lots of scans you could run to free up some extra space, but everything that the scan would catch still probably wouldn't add up to space that one single movie (1.5 GB-ish) takes.

If you still want to try, however, you can download Advanced System Care from CNET at the link. It is free, quick and safe to download, and is the most popular of this kind of program. Once you've downloaded it, you can run a scan (you can choose between a quick version or a deeper scan), and you'll be as good as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2013

Have you defragmented?

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013

[quote]Have you defragmented?

I thought no one defragmented anymore? I have a mac and was told that defragmenting isn't done now.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Do you mean everything is running slowly? Because you have shitloads of hard drive space so there shouldn't be any need to free up space.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

If you have a solid state drive do not defrag it!

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

R7,

Things seem to be running well.

When I said "run down" (from R3), I was getting at the space.

Right now the C drive (hard) says 833 GB (used) and 83 GB (free).

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

Get a cheap external hard drive and move any videos or other large files you don't use regularly to the external drive.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

Defragging won't do much in terms of freeing up space.

I'm with R10. Just get a massive external hard drive and dump the large files you don't frequently access on there. That's what I do.

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.