Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paul Ryan to attend Obama's inauguration

Williamsburg, Virginia (CNN) - Former 2012 GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan plans to attend Monday's inauguration of President Barack Obama.

The lawmaker from Wisconsin told reporters at the House Republican retreat in Williamsburg that he would be at the Washington ceremony, saying "it's my obligation."

But Ryan ignored a question about his plans for 2016.

He is considered among the top tier of potential presidential candidates next cycle and has not ruled out a bid.

He stoked speculation about a future presidential bid when he spoke about the future of his party at a December conservative awards dinner sponsored by the Jack Kemp Foundation.

Ryan encouraged his party to find a "vision for bringing opportunity into every life - one that promotes strong families, secure livelihoods and an equal chance for every American to fulfill their highest aspirations for themselves and their children." That vision, he said, includes roles for government, private groups and free enterprise.

At the dinner, he congratulated Obama on his re-election and said he hopes the president would "offer fresh ideas and serious leadership" in his second term.

On the presidential campaign trail this year, Ryan described Obama in stark terms. At an October event in Pennsylvania he said, "This is the third president I have served with. It's the most partisan one I have ever known."

Ryan could find himself at the center of a major policy debate between Obama and congressional Republicans over the debt ceiling, sequester, and funding the federal government. He is the chairman of the House Budget Committee.

Obama will officially take the oath of office at noon on Sunday January 20, as required by the constitution, but because inaugural ceremonies have traditionally not been held on Sundays, the public ceremony will take place on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

He's betraying the birthers and the baggers! Impeach him!

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

"This is the third president I have served with. It's the most partisan one I have ever known."

So he never served with George W. Bush then, huh?

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2013

[quote] He is considered among the top tier of potential presidential candidates next cycle and has not ruled out a bid.

All the more reason to watch him for gaffes and -- worst of all -- for actually talking about his beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2013

As long as he keeps working out in the gym every morning, he'll get Aaron Schock's vote.

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2013

Did he bother asking himself if the President even wants him there?

I'm betting he'd be just fine with Ryan staying home.

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013

Every member of Congress is given tickets to the inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2013

He hasn't served under 3 presidents. 3 terms, but not 3 presidents.

He's such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2013

And I'm betting he wears pleated pants.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2013

So? Nixon attended Kennedy's inauguration, and Humphrey attended Nixon's.

by Anonymousreply 901/19/2013

[quote]He hasn't served under 3 presidents. 3 terms, but not 3 presidents.

Wrong, he has served in the House since 1998.

by Anonymousreply 1001/19/2013

In perspective, there have only been three presidents in the last generation: Bill Clinton (1993-2001), George W. Bush (2001-2009), and Barack Obama (2009-now).

Any member of Congress who does not attend the inauguration of the President shows a profound and dangerous lack of respect for the country.

by Anonymousreply 1101/19/2013

Which inauguration is he attending - the real one in the White House today or tomorrow's public inauguration?

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.