Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Amityville Horror

Why did this incident get so much attention? I know it was a film, but what was the fascination to begin with? I mean, killing a family as they slept. Uh, heard that one a thousand times. What gives? This was interesting enough for books and films?

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

I think you're confused on the details. The Amityville Horror was about the Lutz family who bought a house where murders had occurred and claimed it was haunted. They abandoned the house less than a month after moving in saying the evil forces had driven them out. None of them died.

It was the supposedly true haunted house story that was the media sensation. The original murders would probably be forgotten now had the Lutz's not conspired with the killer to create the whole haunted house/demonic forces tale.

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2013

And adding to the lure was that fairly quickly the Lutz family's whole story was debunked. By then Hollywood had been swept into the fray with the movie (and since it was successful, the sequels). Even the book had some sequels, I think.

And to top it off, the Lutz family ended up pretty tragically, I think.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2013

This covers a lot of it, OP

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2013

I don't think it was debunked THAT quickly R2 because the book was a NYTs bestseller for quite a while. Didn't 60 minutes do a piece on it? It was a cultural phenomenon for a while. The film was rushed out by AIP pretty quickly though.

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2013

R4 --- from the Wikipedia article (not the most reliable source, I know....)

Almost as soon as the book was published in September 1977, other writers and researchers began looking into the events at 112 Ocean Avenue and the conclusions that they reached were often at odds with those that had appeared in Anson's book.

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

R5, being at odds is hardly debunking.

[quote]had the Lutz's not conspired with the killer

What? They conspired with the killer? When? 🍌🌽🍉

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

My grade 5 teacher read the book aloud to the class. Gave me nightmares about demonic pigs.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2013

How was it debunked?

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

Now there's a weekly series on basic cable with allegedly true, but obviously made-up ghost stories called A Haunting. The Animal Channel ripped it off with a show called The Haunted, in which the family pet was always the first to notice the ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

[quote]What? They conspired with the killer?

It was believed that Ronald DeFeo's attorney had encouraged George and Kathy Lutz to play up the supernatural stories as part of an insanity defense.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

Thanks.

I saw that photo with the little ghost kid. Was that ever debunked? They gave a lot of details ensuring that it wasn't tampered with, and they couldn't explain it. Dunno.

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

"And adding to the lure was that fairly quickly the Lutz family's whole story was debunked."

It has never been entirely proven that the story was made up. The Lutzes both passed lie detector tests. While they've admitted to fabricating some of the events, they still maintain that things happened.

Butch's lawyer has gone on record saying that the story was made up for an insanity plea, but the Lutz family has never stated that.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.