Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NYC vs. London drinking culture

Which city has the biggest alcoholics?

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

No contest. London.

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

A better question is which other cities rival London's drinking culture. Moscow? Helsinki? I've never encountered the public spectacles of drunkenness in other Western European countries.

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2013

Depends on race. White people in London win hands down. The dark people of London are mostly Muslims and Caribbeans. They don't drink much.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2013

R2, Dublin and Edinburgh might give London a run for its money in drinking, western capital-wise.

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2013

How about Tokyo? I've read that heavy drinking is the norm and expectation among businessmen and even office workers. (at least the men) It somehow affirms their group identity, their commitment to each other and the company.

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013

Definitely London, no real contest.

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2013

I know some Scottish posters on a sports board and (Glasgow and Edinburgh) and both agree that Glasgow is much rougher.

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2013

The heaviest binge drinking I have ever seen was on weekend nights in Osaka. Japanese people don't seem to drink regularly except for binging on weekends. So much puking in the streets.

Saw more fights and less vomiting outside of pubs in London and Dublin. Lots of drunks in Sydney throughout the week. During my one visit to NYC, didn't see a drinking "culture". Visited several venues where fancy drinks cost a week's pay. I think everyone was one one drug or another.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2013

Between NY and London, the Brits win hands down. I'm from NY and have spent a lot of time in London. This isn't even a contest.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2013

My wife can drink any man in NY under the table.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2013

In London people go out for serious drinking almost every night after work. In New York it's once or twice a week.

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2013

How and why do the Brits do it?

I work in NYC and London, and my London co-workers seem to binge-drink nearly every night. Some get absolutely wasted 2-3 times a week, like blackout/puke/pull-down-their-pants drunk (often around co-workers), then spend 90% of their day in a hangover state.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2013

Sorry OP, we win this one!

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2013

Stupid thread. OP is a loser.

by Anonymousreply 1401/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

Are you kidding? I used to work in the travel biz and when I would pick up British groups at the airport,their first question was "Where's the pub"? They would drink piss if it was put in front of them. They cannot last 2 hours without alcohol. And make sure that their wine glasses are ALWAYS 3/4 filled. YUCHHHH.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

Considering how fat Americans are, I would say NY. Their alcoholics are much bigger than the alcoholics you find in England.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

Another New Yorker who works for a British company and spends lots of time in London. Completely agree with the earlier posters: I'm amazed at times how heavily the Brits drink during the week.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!