Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Proposition Joe is no more

Robert Chew, actor on 'The Wire' dies at 52

| January 18, 2013 | Updated: January 18, 2013 6:30pm

BALTIMORE (AP) — Robert Chew, who played Proposition Joe on the HBO series "The Wire," has died. He was 52.

His sister, Clarice Chew, said he suffered a heart attack and died at his Baltimore home Thursday.

Robert Chew grew up in Baltimore and studied music at Morgan State University for two years. His sister said he worked as music director for the Arena Players community theater.

The character Prop Joe was a highly intelligent and ruthless yet polite and diplomatic Baltimore drug lord. Another sister, Maureen Brown, said strangers would approach Chew on the street in Baltimore and tell him what a great job he did in that role.

He also appeared in TV shows "The Corner" and "Homicide: Life on the Street" and the 2004 TV movie "Something the Lord Made."

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013

R.I.P. Prop Joe

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2013

[QUOTE]His sister said he worked as music director for the Arena Players community theater.

I remember reading that he gave quick little Acting 101 lessons to many of the street kids they used in small roles on the show.

Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2013

I hope someone sends a floral funeral arrangement like the characters did on [italic]the Wire[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2013

The only Chew I knew in Baltimore was a wonderful white kid who passed away in the early 90's. He ran our bulletin board. He was beautiful to look at and very intelligent.

I only mention this because the name grabbed my attention and reminded me how surprised I was when I discovered Chew was also a Czech name too.

My this Chew too, RIP.

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!