Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Andy Warhol's diaries

Are a DL'ers dream.

by Anonymousreply 2207/21/2013

I flipped through them. Any truly interesting stuff has been edited out. Fluff diaries more like it.

by Anonymousreply 101/18/2013

I was about half way through them when a roommate's friend borrowed the book without asking and I never saw it again.

The funniest anecdote I can remember is of Andy going on about how much Jeri Hall's armpits stunk during an elevator ride. He speculated that Mick got turned on by it.

by Anonymousreply 201/18/2013

I would have thought the AW Diaries would be required reading for DL.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2013

My father used to read it on the toilet

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2013

"The funniest anecdote I can remember is of Andy going on about how much Jeri Hall's armpits stunk during an elevator ride. He speculated that Mick got turned on by it."

The second is when someone asked Grace Jones if she thought she was white and she said "yes".

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2013

as is You'll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again, OP.

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2013

The first printing of the Warhol Diaries was not edited. It was subsequent printings that were. I remember one of the tidbits edited out was Warhol talking about how Calvin Klein wanted a beard and Bianca Jagger was angling for the job. Warhol said, who would believe anyone married to Bianca would be straight? Bianca Jagger was pissed and said this made her look like a gold digger which she wasn't, etc., etc.

I still have my copy but haven't read it in a couple of decades.

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2013

I didn't know that the later editions were edited, but it makes sense I suppose. Now I'm really annoyed at my old roommate for letting her friend take my first ed.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2013

Good. I have the hardcover first edition

by Anonymousreply 901/19/2013

I couldn't believe when Andy describes going off on Bianca Jagger at Halston's. She's coked up (Of course!They were at Halston's after all!),and tries to pull Warhol into a rant she's having about "having the soul of an artist"! She's saying ,"Andy knows,Andy understands,WE know what it's like!" "How painful how lonely,to have the soul of an artist"! I can't remember what he says at Halston's,but he's as mad as he ever seems in the whole rest of the book. When retelling it to PH the next morning he actually calls her a "stupid cunt"! He can't believe her audacity,that she thinks that he and SHE are on the same level artistically. It made me realize how little he swore,previous,and that for all his self doubt he really did know who and what he really was. An extremely hard working artist,and NOT some drugged out whore.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

[quote]he really did know who and what he really was. An extremely hard working artist

Raising an eyebrow is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 1102/03/2013

I pulled this off the shelf after reading this thread. It's still fascinating and funny.

But I can't imagine anyone young giving a damn about it. I'm in my 50s--I know who the people are--but most of the characters are pretty marginal and will be unknown to anyone younger. Cornelia Guest and Catherine Guinness aren't major cultural figures, are they?

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

R12 Cornelia was a guest on a recent cooking show on the Food channel if that helps.

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2013

As I recall, Andy had really nasty things to say about a young Anna Wintour.

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2013

I read the Andy's Diary once every year or two. It takes me a couple of weeks maybe more, but I feel transported back to those times. Fascinating period in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2013

Wasn't there an entry about Christopher Walken and Mickey Rouke kissing at Studio 54?

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

Warhol's Diary is fascinating, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

He's actually quite spot on about a lot of people. He calls Bob Colacello "Dr Jekyl and Mrs. Vreeland."

by Anonymousreply 1807/19/2013

Of course they are. They created a world in which DL became possible.

by Anonymousreply 1907/19/2013

Fluff Diaries, more like it. How boring was his life.

by Anonymousreply 2007/21/2013

Why does he say "a camp" instead of "campy" as in "so and so was such a camp".

I've never heard that usage of "camp" and I was around when he was famous.

by Anonymousreply 2107/21/2013

You can bet a lot of juicy stuff was cut out BEFORE the first edition.

by Anonymousreply 2207/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!