Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who remembers the Hinckley assassination?

How much was the Jodie Foster aspect covered?

by Anonymousreply 6001/19/2013

Quite a bit. But, and this is a big thing to keep in mind, it was a completely different world then in terms of how things were covered, reported and talked about. It was before social networking technology. People didn't weigh in on things or check in with what everybody else was saying when they were weighing in and television news wasn't 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 101/18/2013

How about attempted assassination?

by Anonymousreply 201/18/2013

The Ronald Reagan attempted assassination,.

by Anonymousreply 301/18/2013

Hinckley was not assassinated.

by Anonymousreply 401/18/2013

I remember it well. At the time, I was an undergrad at Georgetown. After graduation I lived right behind the hotel (the Hinckley Hilton).

The print and electronic media covered the Foster aspect quite well.

by Anonymousreply 501/18/2013

I remember it, too.

Celebrity culture (and celebrities in general) just weren't as huge then somehow, though it was covered pretty extensively... There weren't endless talk shows, 24/7 cable news, The View, celeb bloggers, Entertainment Tonight, eight different nighttime talk shows. (Some of those things may have been in early stages, but still, just not the same).

If a similar incident happened now, it would be non-stop interviews with every single celeb, every pundit weighing in etc etc.

It was a big deal in the news though, especially when she took the stand in the trial, if I remember correctly.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2013

She was hounded by the media everywhere she went. Do I have a false memory or did some photographer pushed her around so he could take her photo? Broke her arm or some shit. Horrible.

She was trying to fit in at school and that all went to hell since she was given bodyguards to follow her around. In fact, I think she left school one year for her safetly.

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2013

The Jodie Foster aspect of the Reagan assissination was huge. And as big as it was, it was secondary and somewhat overshadowed because it followed an assassination attempt of a president. The news about Reagan, what happened and his well-being dominated everything.

And, the Jodie Foster aspect of the incident came afterwards. At first, all the focus went to Reagan since he was the president. It was the subsequent days that the Jodie Foster details started to roll out. It was bizare confusing and very weird. But make no mistake, Jodie was big news at the time.

And remember, we were only getting news from the major networks and newspapers--and it was massive, but it wasn't like today where everyone can comment and everyone is a jouranlist. The three major networks and newspapers were the experts--not the guy with an iPhone working for TMZ.

It was also in the days when "Breaking News" actually meant "Breaking News." Now everything seems to be 'breaking.'

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2013

Was Jodie ever questioned by the Secret Service for her involvement?

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

Why would they question her? She had no involvement. She was just the obsession of Hinckley.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2013

Yes, they interviewed her several times I believe r9. They also protected her for a while before Yale security took over.

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2013

r10, they would needed to know how much contact she had with him. There was never a though that she was responcible but they needed to investigate his motives.

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2013

I think the Jodie stuff came out right away. I remember (granted I was a kid so it may be distorted) but the Oscars were supposed to be that night but were delayed a day. It was the year Robert DeNiro won for Raging Bull. I remember lot's of speculation about what he would say since it was already out that Taxi Driver had been a big influence on Hinckley. As I remember he spoke very tentatively and nervously about the whole thing in the press room after he won.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

Wasn't there also some part of the public/press that treated her suspiciously....like she was involved with it or was actually friends with Hinckley?

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2013

[quote]And, the Jodie Foster aspect of the incident came afterwards. At first, all the focus went to Reagan since he was the president. It was the subsequent days that the Jodie Foster details started to roll out. It was bizare confusing and very weird. But make no mistake, Jodie was big news at the time.

That's what I remember. I also recall seeing Jodie interviewed on television some time after it all went down, but while she was still in college. She was overweight and looked like if she could have crawled out of her own skin she would have. Obviously depressed and horribly self-conscious. You couldn't help but feel bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2013

[quote] the Oscars were supposed to be that night but were delayed a day.

Wasn't it the Golden Globes?

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2013

I remember hearing various messages from her answering machine being on the news, as Hinckley called her constantly, and her Taxi Driver picture (short shorts, big hat) seemed to be everywhere. A few years later Sarah Petitt from Newsweek and Out kept Michael Signorile from doing his usual out campaign against her, as she felt Jodie had been through enough. Plus she was in Jodie's inner circle in college, but I think that was covered in depth her a while back.

by Anonymousreply 1701/18/2013

"Celebrity culture (and celebrities in general) just weren't as huge then"

Bullshit. Celebrities and interest in them were ALWAYS huge. The only difference was the media.

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2013

iirc, it was her freshman year in college. She was forced to move off campus into an apt by herself surrounded by bodyguards.

What a nightmare that must have been. She didn't deserve that.

by Anonymousreply 1901/18/2013

And Entertainment Tonight was on in 1984. There were lots of talk shows and Live at Five (WNBC), lots of newspaper columnists (like Liz Smith), the National Enquirer, the Star, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2001/18/2013

This is why I always felt Foster didn't deserve the same "outing/is she isn't she" speculation other stars get. She went thru an incredibly bizarre incident at a very young age that probably scarred her forever and made her tentative about what to say about herself.

by Anonymousreply 2101/18/2013

R20, how could you leave out Rona Barrett?

by Anonymousreply 2201/18/2013

It was big news because it was a diversion. Hinckley had moved across Texas to volunteer on the Congressional campaign of the son of the vice-president. He reported to one of the Bushes, who was also friends with his older brother. His family was under investigation for financial crimes and would have benefited from a Bush presidency. Hinckley even had a book in his apartment about how to fake mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 2301/18/2013

I don't remember where I heard or read this but I think Jodie keeps up with the lives of the other who show were shot. One is wheelchair bound for life. Don't think she had direct contact but she must know someone that updates her. She feels responsible and this is her self punishment.

Also remember that Nancy Regan sent everyone on the crew of Taxi Driver a personal letter telling them, she didn't blame them at all. Everyone got one but Jodie. Jodie being 18 years old, I bet she needed that letter. FU Nancy!

by Anonymousreply 2401/18/2013

Gossip media didn't really get their legs until the later 80s, although Hinkley gave them a boost. I remember in 1992, before all the tabloid shows got co-opted by the regular media/studios that we would watch Dan Rather give journalisticly correct news updates on Diana before turning to a tabloid TV show to get the "real" story.

by Anonymousreply 2501/18/2013

I'm still sad Hinckley missed. :(

by Anonymousreply 2601/18/2013

[quote]I don't remember where I heard or read this but I think Jodie keeps up with the lives of the other who show were shot. One is wheelchair bound for life. Don't think she had direct contact but she must know someone that updates her. She feels responsible and this is her self punishment.

She's in regular contact with White House Press Secretary James Brady who was disabled by the shooting. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is named after him.

by Anonymousreply 2701/18/2013

Why R26? What difference does it make? George HW Bush was his VP and he would've become president. He might've even served two terms instead of just the one had Reagan died.

by Anonymousreply 2801/18/2013

[quote]Also remember that Nancy Regan sent everyone on the crew of Taxi Driver a personal letter telling them, she didn't blame them at all. Everyone got one but Jodie. Jodie being 18 years old, I bet she needed that letter. FU Nancy!

Wow, what a C-U-N-T.

by Anonymousreply 2901/18/2013

Ah thank you r27. I just read my post again and I made some serious mistakes. Glad you at least understood what I was saying.

I wasn't sure if she had direct contact or not but I do find it telling that she wanted to know them.

by Anonymousreply 3001/18/2013

I wonder if Hinckley saw Jodie's GG speech: "Am I crazy or did she just come out of the closet??"

by Anonymousreply 3101/18/2013

R31, I posted on some other Jodie thread that Hinkley is not allowed to have or to see any Jodie related stuff. It's considered contraband because Jodie is still a psychological trigger for him even after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 3201/18/2013

I heard the FBI interviewed her then girlfriend who couldnt take the pressure of all the drama and ended the relationship

by Anonymousreply 3301/18/2013

In the 90's he managed to sneak some stuff in I remember. He even had some girl on the outside nearly kidnap and kill Jodie for him.

Was the Girlfriend the theater director Tina Landau r33?

by Anonymousreply 3401/18/2013

There was a huge difference between HW and Ronnie, r28.

by Anonymousreply 3501/18/2013

I don't read the tabloids, but I covered the Foster aspect pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 3601/18/2013

Hinckley didn't miss and Reagan almost died anyway owing to security and medical incompetence (for one thing, he had to have Nancy's father's buddy treat him).

by Anonymousreply 3701/18/2013

The secret service agent that took a bullet for Reagan is now chief of police in Orland Park, IL, a suburb of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 3801/18/2013

I bet if he knew she liked pussy, he wouldn't have obsessed over her and history would have been different. See, Jodie should have come out earlier!!

by Anonymousreply 3901/18/2013

R20

"And Entertainment Tonight was on in 1984"

But Reagan was shot in March 1981, six months before ET started.

It was round the clock coverage, and the media handled it poorly.

by Anonymousreply 4001/18/2013

For some reason, the aspect of the assassination attempt that I remember most is Alexander Haig, then Secretary of State, at the White House declaring that he was in charge of the country (don't recall the exact words), completely forgetting the line of succession. VP Bush Sr. was unavailable for some reason, but there were two others ahead of him. We talked about it the next day in our government class (it occurred my senior years of high school).

I was probably too young to have noticed, but years later when I worked in the mental health field one of our attending psychiatrists brought up the incident and swore Haig was drunk. I just watched the clip on Youtube and I think the shrink was right.

by Anonymousreply 4101/18/2013

Haig was the Donald Rumsfeld of his day.

by Anonymousreply 4201/18/2013

[quote]Alexander Haig, then Secretary of State, at the White House declaring that he was in charge of the country (don't recall the exact words), completely forgetting the line of succession.

I think he was telling the press that he was in charge at the White House, since Bush wasn't there -- not the country.

by Anonymousreply 4301/18/2013

That's not how it was interpreted at the time and he took heavy criticism for it.

by Anonymousreply 4401/18/2013

In 1981, following the March 30 assassination attempt on Reagan, Haig asserted before reporters "I am in control here" as a result of Reagan's hospitalization, indicating that, while President Reagan had not "transfer[red] the helm", Haig was in fact directing White House Crisis Management until Vice President Bush arrived in Washington to assume that role.

by Anonymousreply 4501/18/2013

She was THERE! Watching from the Gassy Knoll Falafal Hut right across the street!

The cover-up protected her because the Scientologists thought that they could use her to accelerate their reach for ultimate power (with the Mormons). But it all fell apart when they discovered that Tom Cruise shit his pants every time they were in the same room.

by Anonymousreply 4601/18/2013

I stayed in the Washington Hilton during one of the marches. On the blah side.

by Anonymousreply 4701/18/2013

Interesting that you brought this up. This event totally informed her take on celebrity. Before this she was a working actress struggling with her sexual identity. After this she was a thinking celebrate struggling with the impact of the cult of personality.

by Anonymousreply 4801/19/2013

It was just so bizarre in it's day - wouldn't be so now. After all the initial 'Reagan assassination attempt' part of the story cooled down, they started focusing on the Jodie / "Taxi Driver" / Yale student part. She was the # 1 news story on the night she released a (pre-taped) verbal statement , sitting in her dorm room, on campus, reading it off a crumpled paper, with 70's posters on the wall behind her. Surreal. It would never happen now - a whole PR team would put together a 'live' news conference that would be on all the news/ entertainment channels ((didn't exist then) , and she would have had papparazzi following her everywhere around school. After her statement , the press pretty much laid off her, and let her go to her classes. THAT would really never happen now.

by Anonymousreply 4901/19/2013

Thankfully, the (less omnipresent thus, less ingrained)tabloids didn't go all gonzo over the Jodie aspect. They would've been chasing their tails anyway since there was no way she'd be delving into the subject for mass consumption.

The legitimate press coverage however frequently mentioned the intriguing JF connection but I only remember it as an oft repeated incidental aside to pepper the story sans for perhaps a few 20/20 60 Minutes type in depth news segments staggered over a length of time.

From what I remember people I encountered weren't all that jarred or aghast by Hinckley's infatuation of Jodie or salivated over each and every tidbit of information garnered about him. I don't recall compelling conversations nor any feverish attempts to dissect JH's brain or fret about Jodie's emotional state. My same birthday as Jodie self just assumed she was a tough cookie who wouldn't let herself freak over the incident too much.

It was also a weird, shitty time. Carter had lost. We were muddling through the economic malaise depression energy crisis war machine shitstorms of the period. I was worried about the draft being reinstated not to mention the mysterious new gay disease being reported on besides. John Lennon had just been shot, then Reagan was. Sure, there was initial shock but life clumsily clomped on along.

I happened to be in front of the TV when Reagan et al were gunned down. I felt bad for James Brady. IIRC, within the first 24 hours it was announced that the president was expected to pull through. Brady got tons of news attention because of the seriousness of his more perilous condition.

About a year later, I remember reading a small piece in the Sunday paper that Jodie wrote. She did touch on the recent course of events including her student life at Yale but I can't recall any specific details or statements she expressed in that essay other than an overuse of the word whom and maybe learning Latin.

by Anonymousreply 5001/19/2013

I remember sometime in the 90s....Jodie was on a Charlie Rose show and he kept asking about Hickley and she kept refusing and threatening to walk off the show.....they were both pretty fierce. Later she gave him the first interview about Hinckley.

by Anonymousreply 5201/19/2013

I was on vacation at the time, flying to Denver.

Having a short layover in Salt Lake City, I overheard bits of a few different conversations regarding the Kennedy assassination. Not having heard anything at all about Reagan, I thought it was a weird coincidence. It wasn't until I had landed in Denver and arrived in Boulder that I heard news about Reagan. Staying with my friend in his dorm at the University of Colorado, nobody was at all concerned about Reagan. While we were all glued to the TV, it more of a sort of entertainment than earth-shaking news coverage.

by Anonymousreply 5401/19/2013

Anyone in New Haven when this happened? Or in Yale?

by Anonymousreply 5501/19/2013

I have a similar recollection to R50; I don't recall a lot of public interest in Jodie Foster. It was a bizarre time, a bizarre event. I think most people universally felt bad for her and respected her privacy - it's not like she had anything to do with it.

I remember the Oscars were postponed a day. That was the big deal to me. I was 13.

by Anonymousreply 5601/19/2013

The main focus was on Reagan, as I recall, the Jodie Foster revelation came out later on, not too long after Reagan was shot, but it wasn't immediately known. When they did discover it, it exploded. I felt so sorry for Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 5701/19/2013

"because being gay he was a mental defective to start"

No. You've been F&F'ed, straight male troll.

by Anonymousreply 5801/19/2013

I worked with the Secret Service that summer doing advance for a presidential trip. We had a "secret" location but somehow loads of weirdos and nutjobs us found and wandered by. They would have needed 300 agents to deal with all these people.

by Anonymousreply 5901/19/2013

Another weird tidbit about Foster: Leni Reifenstahl, Hitler's propagandist, used to send her notes.

I would be freaked out by that. But Foster almost made a movie about Leni.

by Anonymousreply 6001/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.