Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does Someone Have Something of Yours that You've Always Wanted to Get Back?

But can't because you've lost touch?

It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2013

Yes. My grandmother has the baby book my mother put together about the first two years of my life. She refuses to give it to me and we no longer speak. When she dies, alone and calling out to Jesus in her little apartment, I will step over her corpse to claim that book, walk out the door, and never think of her again.

by Anonymousreply 101/18/2013

My virginity.

by Anonymousreply 201/18/2013

I let a boyfriend borrow some antique items to study. The break up was bad. I asked for the items and he would have given them to me, but I could't face him. Time went by and I kept putting it off. And then I completely lost touch. Now I have no idea where he is.

I *hate* myself for it.

by Anonymousreply 301/18/2013

My grandma's hadwritten book of recipes. My ex has it & won't give it back. I get a lump in my throat every time I think of it. (sniff)

by Anonymousreply 401/18/2013

A Chinese cookbook by Barbara Tropp. A friend from 1984 whom I have no idea how to get in touch with has it. I hardly ever think about it, but it was the first thing I thought of when I read your question.

Also, many years ago, my stereo and record collection were stolen. Later on, I came to suspect it might have been a "friend" who had dropped me off somewhere he knew I wouldn't be coming home from anytime soon. It turned out he'd ripped off a lot of people we knew (a bike, a car cassette player).

by Anonymousreply 501/18/2013

Oh I am at R3.

R5, It's been over 25 years but I still think about it when triggered by something like the "What's the Oldest Thing You Own" thread.

I just can't get over how stupid I was. I was young, but it has ended up being one of those lifetime regrets.

I've thought about looking the guy up on Facebook but I'm sure he'd think I had lost my mind. Also probably doesn't have the items anymore anyway.

Live and learn.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2013

Myyyyyyyy precious! Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2013

Yea, money.

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2013

Yes, I stupidly lent someone my Grey Gardens DVD years ago and they never returned it.

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

Yes, my ex-bf received a rather lovely Winnie the Pooh bear from me... I should've bear-napped him on my way out the door. The other day I happened upon a FB photo of said bear still hanging out on my ex's bed. I can't believe that poor bear has to share the same space with that bitch my ex hooked up with.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2013

Five years ago I left a part time job quite abruptly after an argument with managment.

Prior to my sudden departure, I had borrowed my cubemate my Sylvia Plath "Bell Jar" novel.

I have no idea where she lives and I do not have her TN, Email or any form of contact.

I really want my book back.. Michelle, if you're reading this!!

by Anonymousreply 1101/19/2013

[quote] I had borrowed my cubemate my Sylvia Plath...

Please, Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster, let this be troll bait.

by Anonymousreply 1201/19/2013

1,825 days of wedded bliss-less.

by Anonymousreply 1301/19/2013

r1 - I'm sure if you put it to your grandmother like that, she'd hand it right over.

Seriously, why do you need to have it now? The book probably has sentimental value to Granny too, particularly if your mother is deceased.

by Anonymousreply 1401/19/2013

The same rule applies to possessions as money: if you can't afford to lose it, don't lend it. Assume anything you loan is never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 1501/19/2013

Yes, there is a man living in Vancouver in possession of the Best Fucking Years of MY LIFE!!

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2013

I don't know if this "counts" but when I left my ex years ago I took everything I thought I wanted to keep. One item I wish I had recalled: a nice oblong candy dish my boss brought back to the office as gifts from a trip to Israel.

by Anonymousreply 1701/19/2013

I hadn't seen Brent...or the cherished personal picture I had sent him as a friend...for 30 years.

The picture documents an accomplishment of mine which I'm quite proud of, and after a flooded house it's the only one in existence. We got in touch again through his website, to which I made some contributions of audio tapes he'd sent me as a kid.

He invited me to chat at his place of business. It was pleasant, and then he surprised me and brought up the picture.

He got up, and immediately located it in a file drawer. So good to see it again. Then he snatched it from my hand, and invited me to leave. I'd simply, kindly asked to make a copy at my expense.

by Anonymousreply 1801/19/2013

My mother worked her fingers to the bone giving all of us kids a college education. When I graduated, she gave me the only piece if jewelry I ever owned. Diamond cufflinks from Tiffany.

I went out of town, my X had his friend over who worked at the jewelry department at a major department store. Well, turns out we got robbed when they were out parting.

Stupid X showed him what I had and where they were hidden. The friend said he forgot his wallet, as they went to the car. He took the cufflinks and left the back door open like we got robbed.

My X would not believe his friend would do such a thing. Well, about 6 months later the guy gets arrested and sent to jail for stealing jewelry from the store he worked at.

I never got my cufflinks back, but at least the guy spent a year in jail. Stupid fuck had the nerve to call the house after that like nothing happened and I just hung up.

To this day, I cannot stand queeny effeminate jewelry queens. Any guy that worships expensive jewelry or spend his day looking for designer labels is a total turn off to me, even as a friend don't want to hang out with them.

by Anonymousreply 1901/19/2013

I rarely lend people things unless they ask, and never borrow, never. But it seems like the only 2 times someone asked to barrow something, it never came back. Bot times, both people said they couldn't find it. WTF? Is this how it normally goes?

by Anonymousreply 2001/19/2013

Would any of you consider replacing these items on your own ( cufflinks, books, DVDs). Where possible? If I could anonymously send you these valued things, I would. Especially the Tiffany cufflinks. Such would be lovely random acts of kindness.

The thought is there.

by Anonymousreply 2101/19/2013

Well R21, that is about the nicest thing I have heard on DL. In fact it's the nicest thing I have heard all month!

by Anonymousreply 2201/19/2013

I can help you get your stuff back!

by Anonymousreply 2301/19/2013

Yeah it's sad because you couldn't just look up recipes online or go to the library for a cookbook.

by Anonymousreply 2401/19/2013

Well Diamond are not exactly cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2501/19/2013

I suppose I wish that Wayne W. hadn't fucked up my first edition Warhol Diaries, along with the accompanying Spy Magazine Diary Index, by using them to prop up one leg of his failed (in every way) bed back in 1987.

I got it back, but wrecked and sans dustcover.

Can't say I'm overly upset in the long view, but I would love that shit not to be trashed.

by Anonymousreply 2601/19/2013

r11, surely you knew Michelle's last name. Check Pipl, Zabasearch, Facebook. Or write to her at the place where you worked. Never can tell, she might be in the same cube.

by Anonymousreply 2701/19/2013

My virginity!

by Anonymousreply 2801/19/2013

To the tool that is R24: Did you ever stop to think that they were her own recipes and not from a commercially available cookbook?

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2013

Senator Joseph Underwood referred to "the threatened civil war, unless we appease the hot bloods of Texas

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!