Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do people on drugs have negative energy?

My BF and I were out for dinner last night. We were waiting for our table when a group of four (three men and one woman) came in after us. Right away I could tell there was something strange about them. They looked normal enough and were clean and dressed nicely. They weren't behaving badly but there were subtle clues that something was off. The woman wasn't smiling or looking particularly happy. She just had this strangely vacant look on her face. She wasn't out of it. She was very much present and in the moment. But there was a sadness about her.

The men were more relaxed and were smiling and talking with each other. But again, there was something slightly weird about them.

They ended up sitting at the table next to us. It felt weird just to have them that close. I don't see auras or anything hippy dippy like that but I do feel energies. And I definitely felt a strange energy around them. A darkness. An unhappiness. Definitely something bad and weird.

I couldn't wait to finish dinner and get away from them.

My BF said it was probably just that they were on drugs and that they all had "that look" whatever that means.

by Anonymousreply 4601/20/2013

People on benzos have a certain look that can be very easy to spot, but, generally speaking, I don't think it makes them radiate a negative energy. From your description it doesn't sound like these people were on uppers, either. I think you may have been projecting.

by Anonymousreply 101/18/2013

It depends on the drug.

by Anonymousreply 201/18/2013

[quote]I think you may have been projecting.

Projecting what?

by Anonymousreply 301/18/2013

I think so too, R1.

by Anonymousreply 401/18/2013

Projecting your own negative energy, OP.

by Anonymousreply 501/18/2013

I went to grad school (social work) with a cohort of 17 ... 15 of whom were on SSRIs. All had a flat affect. Professors would lecture about terrible social injustices and most of the class would just stare blankly. In retrospect, the whole experience was oddly like being in an asylum.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2013

There's no such thing as "negative energy," that's New Age religious bullshit. If they're high, their brain is working in a different manner than the sober majority, so they stick out. Kind of like if one individual is high on the drug alcohol in the midst of a sober group, you can probably tell something is off, but if he is with a bunch of other people high on alcohol, he seems normal, it's like this with other drugs as well.

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2013

R6, sounds like my cohorts in law school.

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

R9, I teach now and I can spot the students on SSRIs.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2013

I think you should worry about your own life, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2013

[quote]I think you should worry about your own life, OP.

But it's so much easier to worry about everyone else's!

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2013

[quote]I think you should worry about your own life, OP.

Really? Why? What's wrong with my life? I just happen to be an observant and curious sort of fellow. That's a bad thing, is it?

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

They might be worse if they weren't, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2013

OP I "feel" you. Children and horses sense things about people - perhaps using body language and other not so conscious clues. Some sensitive adults (humans) don't grow out of this I think. You may be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2013

Or maybe he's a horse.

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2013

They were probably tripping face.

by Anonymousreply 1701/18/2013

People who are active in their addiction can emit a very sad, desperate, angry energy. Combine that with a mood disorder and they can often be toxic to be around.

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2013

Maybe OP is hung like a horse

by Anonymousreply 1901/18/2013

Humans absolutely have a radar about other people.

My favorite example is the huge lobby of Grand Central Station. Every day, thousands of people walk through it in directions of mass chaos, with people very rarely bumping into each other.

The only explanation for this is that people have a natural sense of the energies of other people.

by Anonymousreply 2001/18/2013

And, R20, the phenomenon of knowing when you are being stared at (even from behind).

by Anonymousreply 2101/18/2013

OMG, people who don't "believe" in negative energy (or positive energy) are strange birds.

People don't know what they don't know. There is more to life than meets the eye. And we all get to believe what we want so this is not up for debate.

Anyone who is paying attention will sometimes get "feelings" about people, intuitive senses about people/experiences/places. "Gut" feelings. Have you never met someone and thought "He creeps me out" but you didn't exactly know why or "I don't know, there is just something about him that is not right?" Or taken an instant like OR dislike to someone? Ever walk in somewhere and think "I feel like I have been here before?" How about "She never said one word directly TO me but I felt uncomfortable being around her?"

My intuition is never wrong. Ever. Once I learned to trust it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/18/2013

Cops can read that energy -- often not well, but they still make use of it. They call them "hunches."

Doctors use it too -- mine can just look at me and know where I am having problems.

by Anonymousreply 2301/18/2013

[quote]The only explanation for this is that people have a natural sense of the energies of other people.

Or herd dynamics are reinforced daily. People from small towns will bump into people, people who live in big cities used to moving around from place to place in big crowds like cattle don't bump into people.

It has nothing to do with "energy." Drop the religious bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2401/18/2013

[quote] Drop the religious bullshit.

Stop telling people what to do and believe. Bully.

by Anonymousreply 2501/18/2013

[quote]Anyone who is paying attention will sometimes get "feelings" about people, intuitive senses about people/experiences/places. "Gut" feelings. Have you never met someone and thought "He creeps me out" but you didn't exactly know why or "I don't know, there is just something about him that is not right?"

I'm not seeing anything related to "energy" in this. Based on past experiences with people, you learn to judge people from their behavior and appearance. It's learning about people, not "sensing energy." This is also why it's so easy to misjudge people in different cultures who have different mannerisms and take offense to things that were not meant to be offensive.

Wake up, stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 2601/18/2013

R25 must also believe that legalizing gay marriage is a form of religious persecution and that calling out anti-gay crusaders as bigots is a form of bullying.

by Anonymousreply 2701/18/2013

[quote] R25 must also believe that legalizing gay marriage is a form of religious persecution and that calling out anti-gay crusaders as bigots is a form of bullying.

Not at all. In fact, I'm Canadian where we've had gay marriage for years. My Bf and I aren't married, but we've talked about it.

But what does that have to do with what we're talking about?

I take exception to people belittling others for what they believe and telling them to believe something else. As though we all have to think exactly the same way and toe the party line.

Believe what you want! Think what you want!

It's possible to have an actual discussion about things and to express your views without being a cunt about it. Yes, even on Datalounge. Strange but true.

by Anonymousreply 2801/18/2013

Maybe the group dynamic was negative as a whole. Maybe the people were at this place out of a sense of obligation and were resentful, thus trying to hide their anger with their flat affect?

by Anonymousreply 2901/18/2013

Wow, R24, I didn't realize that there was something religious about the word "energy." Brilliant.

Is everyone on this thread too dense to realize that they're all talking about the same phenomenon using different words and concepts?

by Anonymousreply 3001/18/2013

Well, first I also agree. There is definitely a such thing as negative energy. But OP, for some reason, albeit subconscious, I think you felt threatened by these people. Or maybe you were picking up that the woman felt threatened.

In any event,while there was something about them that put you off, it may not have anything to do with drugs, but maybe the woman had just had a row with one of the men. Or maybe she didn't want to be there.

Clearly she is the one who affected you most. You sensed a vulnerability in her and perhaps a sense of danger. All I can say is, watch the news reports of grisley murders over the next month.

by Anonymousreply 3101/18/2013

I agree with R30.

by Anonymousreply 3201/18/2013

Old people have been dropping like flies over the last three months. Perhaps they'd gathered after a visitation and you picked up on their grieving.

There was a time when you were allowed to mourn for a year. Now, you're supposed to obtain closure within an hour with time for commercial breaks.

by Anonymousreply 3301/18/2013

r26 is the kind of person who would have dated Lee Harvey Oswald in high school.

by Anonymousreply 3401/18/2013

[quote]Based on past experiences with people, you learn to judge people from their behavior and appearance.

But as I pointed out their outward appearance and behaviour was perfectly fine. But there was something else going on with them that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Subtle clues (energy, body language, whatever) that something darker was was happening.

by Anonymousreply 3501/18/2013

[quote]Wow, R24, I didn't realize that there was something religious about the word "energy." Brilliant.

OP and his defenders here have a strong belief in something that has no basis in reality, and become furious when someone has the nerve to disagree with them. One definition of religious is "scrupulously and conscientiously faithful." OP's beliefs require faith, because evidence does not support them, and he gets angry at people for having different opinions. Sounds pretty religious to me.

by Anonymousreply 3601/18/2013

OP=Judgmental new age dyke.

She probably feels negative energy wherever she goes. Hallmark of a pretentious, judgmental, easily offended dyke.

by Anonymousreply 3701/18/2013

[quote]Perhaps they'd gathered after a visitation and you picked up on their grieving.

This was my first thought, too. I can remember times when friends and family gathered together when there was a death and we probably went around looking like a bunch of sadsack zombies, too. Sometimes in order to not cry, you get kind of stoic and flat.

by Anonymousreply 3801/18/2013

r21, that phenomenon was scientifically debunked.

All of you people should read "The Invisible Gorilla".

It goes through 6(I think) fallacies of belief/perception of mind.

Interesting read.

by Anonymousreply 3901/18/2013

"Based on past experiences with people, you learn to judge people from their behavior and appearance. It's learning about people, not "sensing energy.""

IMHO that is how the human brain picks up "energy". Yes, you can pick up bad vibes from people without knowing them, or knowing how or why you percieve the bad vibes. Call it "experience", call it "energy", the human brain has perceptions that the conscious mind does not understand.

I can't say I'm particularly good at paying attention to my unconscious perceptions, but there have been a few. Like the time I had a strong feeling that I was about die, and called an ambulance even though my symptoms didn't seem that severe. As it happened, I was actually about to die, even though my symptoms didn't seem severe, and I'm alive because I paid attention to feelings I didn't fully understand.

by Anonymousreply 4001/19/2013

There is much more information around us than we're able to process, and not all information that is processed is processed consciously.

Body language and facial expressions are fluid and we simply can't stop frame everything, so we sum up the overall impression of the information we're getting as "energy," or "a hunch," or a "feeling." Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 4101/19/2013

Without drugs? I would kill you.

Like living? Shut your fucking mouth and pretend you were in the driver seat all along.

by Anonymousreply 4201/19/2013

There is nothing religious about anyone's concept of "energy", much less anything else, unless a person makes it so. Those of you who say otherwise are saying the exact same thing that "fundies" assume about energy (which they also hate). R30 said it well.

Everything, as far as we know=matter vibrating. Even thoughts. "Auras" aren't religious, either. Everything can easily be science. While plenty of people write bogus things about unseen information, that doesn't mean it's not there. Whatever OP interprets is what he interprets. Just let him be interested in it.

by Anonymousreply 4301/19/2013

That's why Peter glimmers and this song rocks.

by Anonymousreply 4401/19/2013

depends on the drug....some perk you up, some take you down and some just take you where you were already going but faster....

by Anonymousreply 4501/19/2013

Maybe they were Cat People.

by Anonymousreply 4601/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.