Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christie: NRA is ‘reprehensible’ for targeting Obama’s daughters

Thursday, January 17, 2013

At a press conference on Thursday, Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey blasted the National Rifle Association for airing a commercial about President Barack Obama’s daughters.

“To talk about the president’s children or any public official’s children who have, not by their own choice, but by requirement, protection and to use that somehow to try to make a political point I think is reprehensible,” he said.

The controversial ad said Obama was a “elitist hypocrite” because the Secret Service guards his daughters at school. The President recently said he was skeptical of the NRA’s proposal to stop mass shootings by placing armed guards in every school.

“You know, the President doesn’t have a choice and his children don’t have a choice of whether they’re going to be protected or not,” Christie said.

“I think it’s awful to bring public figures’ children into the political debate,” he added. “They don’t deserve to be there. For any of us who are public figures, you see that kind of ad and you cringe.”

Christie held the press conference to announce the creation of a task force to study ways to reduce gun violence in New Jersey.

Watch video, uploaded to YouTube, below:

by Anonymousreply 5601/19/2013

Will this harm Christie's chances for 2016?

by Anonymousreply 201/18/2013

Why do we have to hear every thought in Christie's head? Is the media really pushing for a Christie presidency this early on?

I don't care much for Christie. He's an oversized oaf. A bully. A man who used a state police helicopter to attend his son's high game. He's not presidential and calls people idiots and morons. That's fine in New Jersey. It's not fine as the President of the United States. We already had a "tough talking" President, and that dipshit gave us 8 years of hell that we still haven't gotten over.

by Anonymousreply 301/18/2013

The folks at Free Republic aren't happy with Christie:

by Anonymousreply 401/18/2013

I love CC for saying what he thinks no matter the ramifications within the Rethug party.

My guess, he'll turn Dem for 2016 and win for President.

by Anonymousreply 501/18/2013

I think that's unlikely, R5

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2013

I think Chris Christie is increasingly becoming a magnet for moderates, especially within the Republican party. He will hopefully attract conservatives who don't identify with the party's fringe elements that seem to be the face of the current GOP. He will widen the divide but hopefully push the extremists further out on the fringes where they belong.

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2013

R5 = Crisco fangurl

Ol fatass is a bully and has the personality of Anton Scalia. He doesn't belong in politics. He's an ambarrassment. Oh, and have you forgotten what he did to gays? Our resident LCR need to scram!

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2013

r7, there are no moderates in the Repig Party, and CC is no moderate.

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

[quote]I think Chris Christie is increasingly becoming a magnet for moderates

Well it's certainly guaranteed him re-election in New Jersey. His numbers with Democrats in NJ have gone way up since he worked with Obama during Sandy.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2013

He's going to be primaried from what I've heard. The tea partiers are not happy.

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2013

Rand Paul rips Chris Christie for NRA attack

Paul says Christie may be 'solidifying his support with Democrats

By KATIE GLUECK | 1/18/13 12:35 PM EST

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a possible 2016 presidential contender, on Friday slammed New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, another potential presidential hopeful, saying a number of the governor’s recent positions would likely alienate GOP primary voters.

“I think criticizing the Second Amendment movement and the over-the-top ‘give me my money’ stuff, ‘I want all 60 billion now or I’ll throw a tantrum,’ I don’t think that’s going to play well in the Republican primary,” Paul, the libertarian-leaning GOP senator, said of the Republican governor.

Those remarks, made on “The Laura Ingraham Show,” referenced recent comments from Christie on gun control and funding for the Northeast in the wake of Superstorm Sandy.

“You have some Republicans backing down like Christie backing down and criticizing the NRA, and I think that doesn’t do any good,” Paul said, according to a transcript.

Earlier this week, Christie bashed an ad from the National Rifle Association that took a swing at President Barack Obama’s daughters, calling it “reprehensible.”

“I think he may be solidifying his support with Democrats in New Jersey and maybe liberal Republicans,” Paul said of Christie’s recent positions.

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2013

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid (and in this case, it certainly isn't the sugar-free), but I'm beginning to like Chris Christie.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

You like a bully. Good for you. Next, vote for him for president, and then you'll have someone worse than Dick Cheney in office.

[quote]His numbers with Democrats in NJ have gone way up since he worked with Obama during Sandy.

You really are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2013

[quote]He's going to be primaried from what I've heard. The tea partiers are not happy.

How many tea baggers does New Jersey have? Enough to do anything significant?

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2013

Looks like he's trying to appear moderate well in advance of his planned run for president. We'll see how it works out, three and a half years is a long time to maintain this act, especially when you're still in public office.

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2013

[quote]He's going to be primaried from what I've heard. The tea partiers are not happy.

I don't think they have much power in New Jersey. Christie is enormously popular, and I doubt the Tea Party can stop him.

by Anonymousreply 1701/18/2013

[quote]You really are stupid.

No, I'm not, idiot at R14. Ask the Poll Troll or do your own research.

Polls published in New Jersey have shown that Christie is virtually a lock for re-election because since Sandy his numbers have gone up with Democrats and Independents for working with Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2013

New Jerseyan here. Many state residents liked the way he is handling the stat's troubles since Sandy, they liked his praise of Ibama, and they like him taking potshots at stuff repubs value. This probably will help him get reelected. However, among my friends, mostly liberal and democrat the praise for Christie has not obscured the dislike for most of his policies.

by Anonymousreply 1901/18/2013

Us Dems need to be REALLY careful in how much "bow down beforeth His Royal Highness Defector Christie" we do. Do you really want HR Clinton to lose to him? Until he totally defects from his party, give him shit no matter how "liberal" his policies and press releases are.

by Anonymousreply 2001/18/2013

I'm hoping people don't lose sight that under all that.... goodness, he is still on that side.

by Anonymousreply 2101/18/2013

Interesting to me that Paul felt compelled to make a statement on national TV.

by Anonymousreply 2201/18/2013

He's fat.

by Anonymousreply 2301/18/2013

Will that hurt his Presidential run, R23?

by Anonymousreply 2401/18/2013

You forgot

He's fat.

END THREAD

by Anonymousreply 2501/18/2013

But will his weight matter?

by Anonymousreply 2601/18/2013

If he was a democrat, I could see the Republicans through around the though that he might die in office. I don't think the Demos will go that low.

by Anonymousreply 2701/18/2013

[italic]No, I'm not, idiot at [R14]. Ask the Poll Troll or do your own research.

Polls published in New Jersey have shown that Christie is virtually a lock for re-election because since Sandy his numbers have gone up with Democrats and Independents for working with Obama.[/italic]

It's a typical disaster bounce, you moron. It was expected. We talked about this a month ago.

I hope you aren't a voter.

by Anonymousreply 2901/18/2013

[quote] You like a bully. Good for you. Next, vote for him for president, and then you'll have someone worse than Dick Cheney in office.

R13 wasn't saying that. I like people who tell the truth or at least stand up to the damn insane republican bullshit or any insane bullshit. The repugs are seriously crazy. They're becoming the lunatic fringe.

by Anonymousreply 3001/18/2013

He's actually playing a smart game...

by Anonymousreply 3101/18/2013

R31 is correct

Christie will continue to push his own extremely conservative agenda, while getting free pr from the media as a truth telling republican who rejects the craziness and fringe elements of his party. He may emerge as the savior of his fractured party in 2016, a plain talking everyman who calls BS when he sees it, a breath of fresh air.

Hopefully that same media will take a look at what has really happened or not happened in New Jersey. He has done little for the state in terms of unemployment, taxes, insurance and health care. He is the architect of a plan to dismantle teacher unions and orivatize public education. New Jersey ranks as one of the highest on a list of states with mortgage foreclosures. He has has cut services to the disabled and senior citizens. Once the state does this, the responsibility falls to local government to close the safety net, which does not happen.

I sincerely doubt that his health will hold up under his current physical condition. No person that unfit should be given the responsibility of the Presidency.

by Anonymousreply 3201/18/2013

[quote]Christie is dead to me politically and I wanted him running for prez not long ago. His photo op with obama ruined him.

I'm assuming you're a Republican, R28?

by Anonymousreply 3301/18/2013

So what is his strategy here? To seem moderate so that so-called independents will vote his way in the general? But oh those Republican primaries how will he ever get beyond those land mines?

by Anonymousreply 3401/18/2013

To be the media darling that the Moderates and Independents can run to. If the Republicans want any chance of winning in 2016 then have to get back to the middle. If they actually manage to do that, Christie will be the perfect candidate for it.

by Anonymousreply 3501/18/2013

"To talk about the president’s children or any public official’s children who have, not by their own choice, but by requirement, protection and to use that somehow to try to make a political point I think is reprehensible."

Christie is correct, whether you like him or not.

by Anonymousreply 3601/18/2013

[quote]Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a possible 2016 presidential contender

This is perhaps the scariest thing I have read so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 3701/18/2013

The ONLY reason I would want to live in NJ would be to vote for him. How he handled Sandy, this, he's just aces!

by Anonymousreply 3801/18/2013

R37, Rand Paul is not a Presidential contender except in his own mind and in the eyes of the media. He has no base of support outside of Kentucky and cannot win on a National level.

by Anonymousreply 3901/18/2013

How quickly we forget that just a few months ago, he vetoed gay marriage in NJ. He is playing you and you're taking the bait like he wants you to.

The notion that "liberal" and "Chris Christie" can be uttered in the same sentence is absurd.

With that said, you've got to wonder what he has up his sleeve. All these GOP criticisms are going to come up in a 2016 primary, and the far right -- who hold considerable clout in primaries -- are never going to nominate him. Especially if they're given, in their eyes, competent, pure conservative choices like Bush, Rubio, McDonnell, Ryan, etc.

The latter choices aren't exactly clown show candidates like Bachmann, Perry, Gingrich, and Cain.

by Anonymousreply 4001/18/2013

R39 A lot can happen in four years, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 4101/18/2013

Christie has gone against the Republican party on the two most important issues to them: Obama and guns. Those are unforgivable offenses to conservatives. They will not forget and they will never forgive. Add in the fact that he's pro-choice, and there's no path to the nomination for him. They've had it with moderate nominees after McCain and Romney, and will likely nominate somebody who is 100% conservative on both fiscal and social issues. That leaves Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio as the front-runners. Even Jeb Bush is too moderate for them. I could see Rand Paul getting some traction, too.

Luckily, Hillary Clinton can beat all of them easily.

by Anonymousreply 4201/18/2013

R40, Santorum will also be running again in 2016

by Anonymousreply 4301/18/2013

[quote]How quickly we forget that just a few months ago, he vetoed gay marriage in NJ.

I haven't forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 4401/18/2013

The subject of gay marriage will be a dead horse by 2016. Full equality won't be there, but it will be a losing proposition to even go there.

by Anonymousreply 4501/18/2013

I have no idea what game he is playing -- maybe, just maybe he was being sincere about Obama's role in the Sandy response and the despicable nature of the NRA ad. But, whatever he thinks he's doing it is not going to result in him being the Repug nominee in 2016.

Christie would not go over well with Repub primary voters. As R42 has noted, Governor Tubby has committed apostasy as far as right-wing Republicans are concerned. His "maverick" stands and overbearing demeanor may delight people in New Jersey, but he can't take this record and that obnoxious bravado much beyond the state's borders.

And, yeah, Hillary can topple all of the potential Repuke nominees.

by Anonymousreply 4601/18/2013

I always enjoy it when Republicans trash other Republicans. Pure and simple, Christie is too fat to ever get elected President. Americans are very shallow. I said Meg Whitman would never be elected because she is homely. It is wrong really, but that is the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 4701/18/2013

Pig Christie is the reason NJ doesn't have gay marriage.

The pig can rot in hell.

by Anonymousreply 4801/18/2013

[quote]Christie is enormously popular

Well, he certainly is enormous ...

by Anonymousreply 4901/18/2013

He's running for President.

by Anonymousreply 5001/18/2013

R37 R39 I have high school FB friends who think the second amendment was written by Jesus and who voted for Ron Paul. They have transfered their love to Rand. They think he's going to lead the country in a revolution. I keep them as FB friends because I want to know what they're saying to each other. They all have assault weapons.

There are thousands of them.

As for Christie, he'll run as an outsider, like Reagan and Bush. He's got to look healthier though.

by Anonymousreply 5101/18/2013

It's really difficult to take Christie's ranting seriously. Gov. Christie knew damned well that Mitt Romney was a firm believer in DISMANTLING FEMA! He advocated voting for him even AFTER Hurricane Sandy hit! What sort of government assistance did he think the devastated people of his OWN state would be receiving under a President Romney!? Blech! These dopes deserve what they get! He should be denouncing his own party, himself and his foolishness all in the same breath. I simply cannot take him seriously after this.

by Anonymousreply 5201/18/2013

He should just get an endorsement contract with NutriSytem, Jenny, or WW. Now that Jessica is knocked up again, does Jennifer H. need a new co-star?

by Anonymousreply 5301/18/2013

He has to lose weight to run for president, period.

Before running for president he has to win re-election as governor in NJ, a blue state. He can't tack right, he has to stay a Northeastern Republican.

After winning re-election (which he will) it's a question of how he approaches a presidential run. Does he tack hard right to go for the early primaries or stick to being moderate and hope to win overall? The latter leaves him in a better position for the General, but I still don't think he could (or should) beat Hillary.

Regardless of anything else, he's one of the few Republicans with real star power. For a major tv gig like running for (and being) president, that matters a great deal.

by Anonymousreply 5401/19/2013

r38, I live in NJ and he is still an embarrassment. How did he handle Sandy? Like any governor would have. How did he handle the blizzard in 2011 that knocked out the shore area? He stayed in Disneyland because his wife forbid him to leave their vacation and when there were complaints he was MIA, he gave the snarky comment: "What do they want me to do, shovel the snow myself?" You want a governor who is classy and worth your vote, move to New York State and vote for Cuomo. Anyone who falls for this Sandy Savior bit hyped to hyperbolic proportions by the media is an idiot. He did his fucking job. Big fucking deal.

by Anonymousreply 5501/19/2013

[quote]The subject of gay marriage will be a dead horse by 2016.

It's too soon to say this outright. Yes, nationally this is correct. It is no longer a major national issue that can be used as a wedge issue to the extent it once was for Republicans. As one Republican adviser admitted last year, "The wedge has lost its edge".

It's unlikely any Republican nominee will try to make gay marriage a major issue, however, I don't think you will see the Republican Party embrace it for a couple more election cycles at least. And it will continue to be opposed in certain regions and in certain conservative states.

by Anonymousreply 5601/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!