Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WHET Katie Kelly, WNBC Bowtied Lesbian Arts Critic

Was she fired or did she really willingly "retire" to teach English in Vietnam in 1991? That's the last time she was heard from -- 1991.

Sue Simmons did pretty well compared to Katie.

by Anonymousreply 1401/19/2013

She died, didn't she? Pretty sure she did.

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

I used to love watching Live at 5:00 way back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

She died. Something about napalm in the morning. She was allergic to its smell.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

Her autographed framed photo was on the wall of a NYC Chelsea coffee shop on 8th and 23rd for years. I think Katie lived in the neighborhood. Is that coffee shop gone now?

Is she really dead?

by Anonymousreply 401/18/2013

Wow, I have not thought of her in ages. She was a real hoot. Between her, Sue Simmons and Chauncey Howell, Live at 5 was the gayest thing on television in the late 70s early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 501/18/2013

Not much when you google.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2013

Chauncey Howell - WOW - haven't thought of him in at least 20 years!

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2013

Sadly R7, when you Google Chauncey Howell, the first link is a rather unflattering account of some racist rant he went on while riding the LIRR.

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2013

Well, according to the link at r6 she was very much alive in the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

That was al I could find when I googled her, too, r6, but I got the feeling it was a few years old.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2013

Its so strange. I did a Google image search using her name along with the WNBC, critic and New York and except for what R6 found, there is nothing there. Its almost as if she never existed. Even Rose Ann Scamardella has a Wiki page. Why no Katie?

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2013

Chauncey Howell was also a very loud Streisand hater on Live at 5. I couldn't believe they let him do it.

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2013

I met Chauncey on the street a couple years ago. I ran into an elderly neighbor who was with him and introduced me. The neighbor is a really good guy, so the fact that they are friends speaks well of Chauncey.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

Chauncey still shows up on News12 Long Island on occasion. But Katie.? You can't even find a photo of her in one of her bow tie outfits.

(My iPhone just corrected "Bowtie outfits" to "Bowie outfits." I wonder how Katie would look in a Space Oddity outfit.)

Other oldster newscasters I remember from the newscaster days before the requirement to be a model-beautiful mixed race person: Robert Lape, Kevin Saunders, Pia Lindstrom, Gabe Pressman, Doug Johnson, the horrid little Milton Lewis, Melba Tolliver, Felipe Luciano, Jim Bouten, Joel Siegal. I think Gil Noble still has a show on wabc-tv.

I remember reading a story in the 1990s about rent control people who were complaining about their landlord. One of them was Milton Lewis and I think he was paying less than $300 a month. The guy had been a highly-paid news reporter and was probably paying $100 a month back when he was working at eyewitness news. I had no sympathy for him.

by Anonymousreply 1401/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.