Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The thread where we try an summon David Ehrenstein

I want to hear his opinion on Jodie.

Everyone go to their bathrooms, shut the lights and say, "I'm JIVE!" three times.

by Anonymousreply 12901/19/2015

Splash milky loads on your face. The scent will attract him instantly.

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

Say 'why are straight me so stupid?'.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

Hmmmm... let's test if he's not really lurking by saying something guaranteed to get his attention and make him holler.

"Lena Horne was a huge dyke and in the 40s dove eagerly into every available and willing muff on the entire MGM lot!"

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

STOP IT!!!!! (covers ears and goes La-la-la-la)

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

[quote]Hmmmm... let's test if he's not really lurking by saying something guaranteed to get his attention and make him holler.

OK how about ... who the fuck is David Ehrenstein?

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

Talk about Lena Horne's deep-seeded heterosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 601/17/2013

Let's chant "Obama the Magic Negro"

by Anonymousreply 701/17/2013

He has a blog and did a post on it, google it if you're dying to know what he said. It's a boring post where he mostly just prints what she said, and gives minimal commentary.

by Anonymousreply 801/17/2013

Thanks r8 for pointing that out. If someone really wants to read David E's opinion on something, his blog is fairly easy to find. It's surprising his fans here haven't figured that out.

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2013

Oops, it's "Barack the magic negro." Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2013

NOT a fan, but I would have been interested to know what he really thinks about her coming out. She had banned him from any of her press junkets. Since R8 figures his reaction is no big thing, I guess he's holding back. OTOH, maybe his response will be better if he has another Saturday night meltdown like the days of old.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

Oh how I miss the days of David E and Terri:) flame wars.

Good times!

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

Ethel to David Ehrenstein, Ethel to David Ehrenstein.

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

Be careful about playing games like this. You could wind up summoning Kirker instead.

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

Or even worse r14, edb.

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

Oh, my Gawd! I just heard a floorboard creak! I think he's here!

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

R16 - that's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013

Rambling diatribe on his blog

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2013

I'm been on DL long enough to remember David E's off-the-wall rants and the posters who deliberately provoked him to make him even crazier. Fun times.

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2013

He was just so pompous and full of himself, you couldn't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2013

I laughed at those people quoting him to bolster the 'Jodie did it wrong! argument. Like he's some authority.

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2013

HELLO DID SOMEONE CALL?!??!?!?

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2013

[quote]I'm been on DL long enough to remember David E's off-the-wall rants and the posters who deliberately provoked him to make him even crazier.

But the funny part is that he wouldn't just go after one person who was picking on him, he would explode and rant at every person who posts at DL. During the week, he would aim a reply at one poster, but on the weekend meltdown, he ripped into everyone.

by Anonymousreply 2301/17/2013

David! Look what happened to your washing machine.

by Anonymousreply 2401/17/2013

can someone catch the newbies up on who he is and what he'd say

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2013

"She had banned him from any of her press junkets."

This might be more believable if he had the credentials to be at a press junket.

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2013

First of all r25, he posted with his real name and insisted everyone else must do so as well, or we were closet-cases. He was holier than thou about that and everything else.

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013

I really would like to hear from him as to why he was allowed on her press junkets and the details of it.

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2013

[quote]I laughed at those people quoting him to bolster the 'Jodie did it wrong! argument. Like he's some authority.

The same thing happened on the Matt Bomer and Matt Dallas coming out threads. "But Ehrenstein says they're not out!" You'd think the Ehrenstein stans would have adjusted to changing times by now, but no.

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2013

I remember an Elaine Stritch thread where some of us really didn't know who she was and David ripped us all a new one, calling us horrible excuses for gay men and cultural illiterates because we were not familiar with her oeuvre.

Some smartass posters then claimed they knew who Elaine Stritch was because she played Mrs. Garrett on Facts Of Life, and others countered that she played Roseanne's mother. It was obviously done just to set him off the rails, and it worked because David went in full meltdown mode typing in all caps and using obscenities in one crazy post after another, while the smartass posters kept chiming in to tell him he was wrong.

I was laughing so hard I was crying.

by Anonymousreply 3001/18/2013

Changing times my ass - if Ehrenstein was right about one thing, it's that a celebrity isn't out as a celebrity until they actually come out.

by Anonymousreply 3101/18/2013

Oh shit.... R7 is accidentally going to summon WhiteBeltMan!

by Anonymousreply 3201/18/2013

Mama will be here in a half an hour at this rate.

by Anonymousreply 3301/18/2013

R5 He used to play Grady on the TV classic Sanford and Son.

by Anonymousreply 3401/18/2013

I will always love David if for no other reason than he is the first person to tell me about Datalounge. This was during Salon.com's Table Talk days.

by Anonymousreply 3501/18/2013

Has anyone checked the upscale restaurants in the Santa Monica area? David was known to haunt their parking lots and to frequently administer vicious face slappings.

by Anonymousreply 3601/18/2013

First, we create an altar of old Gordon's Gin boxes.

Upon this altar we place:

[bold]Two glowsticks

Three tabs of E

One unused script for "The Tom Green Show"

A cassingle featuring "I Saw The Sign" by Ace of Base

One ancient soiled pair of our bikini briefs - size 28[/bold]

And using our loudest bleating voices we call upon David Ehrenstein as follows:

[italic]Just like the one winged dove

Sings a song, sounds like she's singing

Oooh, baby, ooh said ooooooooh[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3701/18/2013

[quote]I really would like to hear from him as to why he was allowed on her press junkets and the details of it.

Me too. It must've been juicy if he was actually banned.

by Anonymousreply 3801/18/2013

He was never banned. It was a DL member making fun of him and his rabid hate for her so DL was trying to find a scenario to match it.

by Anonymousreply 3901/18/2013

He sort of turned me off of DL for a while. I just got sick of his gin-soaked rants and flame wars.

My big sin was I mentioned that on an old PBS documentary, Armistead Maupin had said Paul Newman was gay. Jesus, DE nearly stroked out. He completely flipped out and called me a liar, among other things.

I told him I didn't say it, to go rant at Maupin. He went off again, and denied Maupin had said such a terrible thing!

I hadn't learned yet that it was senseless to reason with a crazy drunk. So I tracked down the name of the documentary and posted it. David demanded that I locate a copy of this old program and mail it to him!!! And one of his deranged fans (he had a few) agreed. I owed it to him.

This went on and on. I finally told them both that I wasn't especially interested in Paul Newman or his sexuality and I couldn't care less whether or not DE believed me.

by Anonymousreply 4001/18/2013

Horror horror horror horror horror Horror horror horror horror

by Anonymousreply 4101/18/2013

This Ehrenstein fellow sounds dangerously unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 4201/18/2013

I miss Miss Pills. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 4301/18/2013

He was already here recently, just as cunty as always....

by Anonymousreply 4401/18/2013

He also posts everyone some so much as scratches their ass over at Towleroad...

by Anonymousreply 4501/18/2013

Agree r40. I left DL for awhile because of him too. I was a lurker, never posted but I saw the way he would attack others. I seem to remember him going off on the thought of Paul Newman being gay. Found that very weird that he, of all people known for attacking gays, would be offended that someone would call Newman gay.

lol at r22.

by Anonymousreply 4601/18/2013

[quote]calling us horrible excuses for gay men and cultural illiterates because we were not familiar with her oeuvre.

Why would we be familiar with Elaine Stritch's reproductive parts?

by Anonymousreply 4701/18/2013

David WAS banned. Many times for posting landless links to his website in hopes of increasing his count.

Lulu used to intentionally bait him. DE fell for it every time. What a fucking dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 4801/18/2013

I think people are talking about Jodie banning him from the press conferences r48 - didn't happen.

DL banning him, yes he was. He would be all over this place right now if he hadn't been.

by Anonymousreply 4901/18/2013

^^ endless, not landless.

by Anonymousreply 5001/18/2013

Hi David.

by Anonymousreply 5201/18/2013

There was a book about Lena Horne that came out while she was still alive that alluded to two lesbian affairs she had, and one she probably had. This absolutely killed David. He left the Datalounge and went into hiding for a year.

by Anonymousreply 5301/18/2013

The only "inside information" she ever had was how many men turned her down inside the baths.

by Anonymousreply 5401/18/2013

There's a DL newbie who idolized David and posts quotes from his one book. (It isn't David).

by Anonymousreply 5501/18/2013

R43 I can remember finding Judy "Pills" amusing at times. Is she dead?

(I recall Pills being chewed out by some posters for defiling the memory of Garland (!!??), who could have taught LiLo a thing or two about drug and alcohol abuse.)

Look, R43, I found some of DE's posts interesting when he was lucid. I give him his due and agreed completely with his feelings about Foster. Those were unpopular sentiments at the time. Jodie had many fans here, largely lesbian, who bristled at any criticism of their goddess.

Unfortunately, the periods of lucidity became fewer and fewer and the ugliness increased apace. It got to the point you dreaded seeing his name in a thread.

by Anonymousreply 5601/18/2013

[quote] Is she dead?

Someone who knew her or knew of her said that she was.

by Anonymousreply 5701/18/2013

Wow R18, that blog post sounds so anti-Ehrenstein. What minimal commentary there is actually sounds human.

Good for him if he's on meds now.

by Anonymousreply 5801/18/2013

Was he often referred to as David Urinestain?

by Anonymousreply 5901/18/2013

And also as David You'reinsane.

by Anonymousreply 6001/18/2013

If you look in the mirror and you say his name 5 times, he'll appear behind you breathing down your neck.

by Anonymousreply 6101/18/2013

Is/was he hot? What is his job? How did his name ever mean anything? Was he on Dynasty?

by Anonymousreply 6201/18/2013

If you all want to hear what I really think, follow the links to the paid corner of my blog, where I describe in excruciating detail the twenty-nine ways in which Jodie's (I call her Jodie because I know her and love her and she relies on me for truth because we have a connection) rambling (I have to be truthful), weird, lesbianically inchoate tirade looking like a million - no, TEN million four hundred thirty-nine bucks - I LOVED that dress, and know how much she would have paid for it but of course it was a freebie - and the food was terrible, I heard - I could have gone but I had to be at my mother's that night because the dogs have been sick - was actually all about me. Otherwise you just get the public stuff. But it's slick, right? Non-Gracie, I mean, of course.

by Anonymousreply 6301/18/2013

[quote]Was he on Dynasty?

Yes, he had a long stint playing Dominique Devereaux, the most fabulous lounge chanteuse in all of Denver. He was, in a word, spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 6401/18/2013

David: Lena Horne was married to a fat white homo who let her fuck around with chicks on the side.

How do you feel now?

by Anonymousreply 6501/18/2013

Remember the poster who went by "A Bigger Troll Than All The Others" or something similar to that? He was apparently "in the business" and would batter DE into submission on any number of show biz topics. Fun times.

by Anonymousreply 6601/18/2013

Only on Broadway, where Much Bigger Troll Than Anyone was an Insider Supreme.

by Anonymousreply 6701/18/2013

[quote]Changing times my ass - if Ehrenstein was right about one thing, it's that a celebrity isn't out as a celebrity until they actually come out.

Not to be pedantic, r31, but he doesn't say they're not out until they come out. He says they're not out until they say the word "gay." By this standard, Matt Bomer, Frank Ocean, Matt Dallas, and Jodie Foster are still in the closet. That's ridiculous.

But having said that, I miss the crazy fucker.

by Anonymousreply 6801/18/2013

Wasn't Much Bigger Troll rumored to be Bruce Vilanch?

by Anonymousreply 6901/18/2013

[quote] Yes, he had a long stint playing Dominique Devereaux, the most fabulous lounge chanteuse in all of Denver. He was, in a word, spectacular.

R64, you made me sore from laughing!

Here's David delivering a stunning rebuttal to one of his harshest critics.....

by Anonymousreply 7001/18/2013

Instead of judas Iscariot and Pontius Pilate, there would be David Ehrenstein and Judy Pills Garland.

Instead of Cain and Abel, it would be Kirker and Umpy.

by Anonymousreply 7101/18/2013

Whoops - meant to post in the If DL was the Bible thread. LOL

by Anonymousreply 7201/18/2013

David E was the OP of the infamous "Why are Straight Me So Stupid?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 7301/18/2013

DE weekend meltdowns were a regular DL feature. It was actually more fun to read the posts of those who baited him than to read his rabid frothing at the mouth replies.

by Anonymousreply 7401/18/2013

I actually miss some of the DL outliers.

Umpy threads could be very funny. It was like having a conversation with a grown up Ralph Wiggum from The Simpsons....

by Anonymousreply 7501/18/2013

I liked Umpy/Rumpy/Whatever. Far better than some of the many, many unknown mental patients who post here.

by Anonymousreply 7601/18/2013

Yes r73. I laugh just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 7701/18/2013

He actually admitted during a meltdown that Foster had him kicked out and banned. Since he was batshit nuts that night, maybe he made it up.

In view of his insistance that everyone should be signing their posts with their full name, it's easy to imagine that he stood up during a question period and demanded that Foster come out of the closet immediately.

Strange how he always tried to "in" Lena Horne and will never believe that Paul Newman ever had a dick in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 7801/18/2013

Recent pic of David:

by Anonymousreply 7901/19/2013

David falling for the MC Sirus hoax and then getting mega-pissy about it when called out was one on the great Datalounge moments. Even better then his "Why are straight me so stupid?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 8001/19/2013

David Ehrenstein oughta be a judge on the RuPaul show.

by Anonymousreply 8101/19/2013

Have any of you friended him on Facebook? he's there in all his 'celebrity' glory.

by Anonymousreply 8201/19/2013

I had no idea this bitch had her own Wikipedia page and a profile she did ON HERSELF in LA Weekly...

by Anonymousreply 8301/19/2013

He's truly a legend in his own mind.

Nice to see his writing is as clear and insightful as ever, R83.

by Anonymousreply 8401/19/2013

Indeed R84. I have whiplash from trying to follow the logic. Or the narrative. Or ANYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 8501/19/2013

That's not David at post 79. David is dark complexioned but he has no Negro features. He also has no ethnic speech patterns either. I met David at our fist and only DL meeting in WEHO and thought he was extremely normal and quite charming. That was 8 years ago, all the DL'ers were exceedingly pleasant, and the one female was absolutely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 8601/19/2013

Did his book mention any gay celebs who were alive when he wrote the book? It seems he only wanted to discuss dead gays so that he would be safe from legal action.

by Anonymousreply 8701/20/2013

R86 = Biden?

by Anonymousreply 8801/20/2013

I smell lox and watermelon- he's here.

by Anonymousreply 8901/20/2013

I remember someone once wrote how he kept putting his Lena Horne doll in the freezer because every time he came home he would find her in bed with Barbie... I don't know why I remember that after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 9001/20/2013

David Ehrenstein is friends with one of my Facebook friends. I had commented on my friend's post about something and he started attacking me. (I totally forget what it was about, but I have a feeling it was movie-related.) I was sort of like, "Who is this THING?" I Googled him and found out who he was, but I find him incredibly annoying (and quite ugly, actually).

by Anonymousreply 9101/20/2013

He's a cousin of one of my former co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 9201/20/2013

Are any of DE's meltdown's archived anywhere? I'd love to read one for fun.

by Anonymousreply 9301/20/2013

There was a "is Paul Newman gay or bi?" thread once (Newman was still alive at the time) and I innocently mentioned that Joanne Woodward looked exactly like a dykey English professor I had. David lost his shit and attacked me in several posts ranting about how stupid I was to think Joanne Woodward was a big dyke just because my English prof. looked like her. Just for fun, I pretended that I thought my prof. really was Joanne Woodward using a pseudonym. OMG, David took the bait and became completely unglued. Other posters and I had a howling good time that day, egging him on.

by Anonymousreply 9401/20/2013

[quote]Are any of DE's meltdown's archived anywhere? I'd love to read one for fun.

I had one saved on a previous computer that I would go back to read for some good laughs.

by Anonymousreply 9501/22/2013

Paul Newman was one of David's pets, hence his idiotic reaction to the kind of thing R94 posted.

I believe David wanted to make contact with Paul and Lena (they were both still alive) for something or another, and felt he had to be on the record attacking anyone who wrote they were not 100% heterosexual.

Funny, judging by his posts, he knew very little about Lena other than pre-digested press releases of long ago and racial discrimination & victimization shit that liberals like David define themselves by.

by Anonymousreply 9601/24/2013

I'll try to get him banned and deleted for you guys.

by Anonymousreply 9701/24/2013

[quote]I believe David wanted to make contact with Paul and Lena (they were both still alive) for something or another, and felt he had to be on the record attacking anyone who wrote they were not 100% heterosexual.

Somehow, celebs never wanted to deal with him. That's why his book was about dead people.

by Anonymousreply 9801/26/2013

R86, he has plenty of "negro" features. His may not have the ethnic voice patterns you expected, but his vocal mannerisms are distinctly gay.

by Anonymousreply 9901/26/2013

Poor Bobo is constantly torn between being a water boy for the party that provides him with a paycheck and wanting to be seen as a groovy dude.

by Anonymousreply 10004/02/2013

Trust me, it's safer to say "Beetlejuice" three times fast.

by Anonymousreply 10104/02/2013

The Ehrestein ghost needs resurrecting - again.

by Anonymousreply 10204/03/2013

As I said earlier, I met DE during Salon's Table Talk days. He also use to post on the World Crossing chat lines. Of course, most of these chats and threads were very respectful of people's postings. Well, except for that time I opined that bisexuality was more a transition than an actual sexuality. The closet cases went bananas. This was around 2000. And then DE linked us to here. The rest is history for me.

I suggested DE refrain from posting while he was drinking. That could be one reason we don't hear from him these days.

by Anonymousreply 10304/04/2013

[quote]I suggested DE refrain from posting while he was drinking.

But that's when he gets to be his most inventive. I liked the time he told someone that they weren't a good reporter and ended with "You're only a pencil!"

by Anonymousreply 10404/04/2013

I've read R64 a half dozen times and I still laugh my ass off every single time.

by Anonymousreply 10504/05/2013

At their best, his rants often had a sort of Ignatius Reilly/Peggy Gravel quality to them. I remember one where he was going off on, I think, closet cases, and he posted, "They deserve [bold]THE BACK OF MY HAND[/bold]!!!"

R64, I always get tickled by whoever says he used to play Thelma on [italic]Good Times.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 10604/05/2013

Just espied a comment from him in a Boy Culture blog post about one of the Hollywood Shows (see Washed-Up Celebrities thread). He began, "I just finished writing 'Masters of Cinema: Roman Polanski' for [italic]Cahiers du Cinéma[/italic] ..."

by Anonymousreply 10704/05/2013

What r104 said. David was funniest drunk.

by Anonymousreply 10804/05/2013

Will you please stop it! I have never found the antics of deviants to be one bit amusing!

by Anonymousreply 10904/06/2013

I have met David on several occasions. The photo at r99 is what David looks like.

He's a charming man. Very intelligent and articulate. He knows a lot about old Hollywood and freely shares it.

That said, he is a hothead who blows up about small things, especially when it comes to stars being accused of being gay. He defends his position passionately, but won't listen to anything that conflicts with his view of things.

by Anonymousreply 11004/06/2013

Like a bad penny...

by Anonymousreply 11105/17/2013

[quote]He knows a lot about old Hollywood and freely shares it.

But he doesn't know it first hand. If you read all the books on old Hollywood, people will claim you know a lot about old Hollywood, too.

by Anonymousreply 11205/17/2013

You know how bitchy Jewgroes can be..

by Anonymousreply 11305/17/2013

according to DE - Paul Newman not gay. It's now been disproved and not just by the Ora Lee poster that DE trashed.

by Anonymousreply 11405/17/2013

Start a thread that Paul Newman and Lena Horne once bumped into each other in Uncle Charlie's. He'll be right here (anonymous, of course) claiming that they're both straight and would never have gone to a gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 11505/17/2013

It's been documented that Lena frequented gay bars in NYC and near her house in LA in the 1940s. Of course, she was just there to entertain.

by Anonymousreply 11605/17/2013

[quote]That said, he is a hothead who blows up about small things, especially when it comes to stars being accused of being gay.

Yeah, that can happen when your BAC never drops below .15 or so...

by Anonymousreply 11705/17/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 11812/07/2013

It often amuses me to see such clumsy attempts of Narcissistic Datalounge Disorder; newbies and underlings who deludedly think this website attracts any celebrities or people like David anymore.

The only "celebrities" are the self-promoting whore Josh Kilmer-Purcell (to hype his own goat shit soap and other products) and Michael Musto (to steal content for his freelance jobs).

You're like a bunch of old nannies holding a seance.

by Anonymousreply 11912/08/2013

Won't someone PLEASE SHIT IN MY PSYCHIC'S MOUTH???!!!????

by Anonymousreply 12012/09/2013

R119, you fool, David Ehrenstein is self-promoting whore

by Anonymousreply 12112/09/2013

David Ehrenstein IS Self Promoting Whore!

by Anonymousreply 12212/09/2013

How about an imitation?

by Anonymousreply 12312/09/2013

David is currently having a meltdown on the Dylan Farrow-Woody Allen mess, as many of you are too.

From his Facebook page, in caps:

"AND NOW ANOTHER OPINION. EXCEPTIONALLY BRAVE OF HIM TO HAVE ONE -- WHAT WITH THE LYNCH MOB SCREECHING 24/7 FOR WOODY'S DEATH"

He's pro-Woody, anti-Mia. I'm sure he claims to know both.

by Anonymousreply 12402/06/2014

Ehrenstein seems to have a thing for rapists. He took the Gore Vidal "Who cares about about a 13 year old being pimped by her mother" line on Polanski.

Actually he probably just pretends famous people have noticed him defending them. He chummily refers to Vidal as "Gene" like they were buds.

Actually I have no idea what happened in the Allen case and don't care much as I'm not a fan of anyone involved. I just think Ehrenstein's a twat.

by Anonymousreply 12502/10/2014

[quote]David took the bait and became completely unglued.

It was easy to bait him on Friday and Saturday nights when he would hang out at DL. Nobody could ever compete with his meltdowns.

by Anonymousreply 12602/12/2014

R51 is clearly DE.

I forgot about that, R27. I remember him insisting that everyone should post under their real name. Pretty tone-deaf considering anonymity is one of this site's main appeals.

I can't remember why or when, but I do remember he attacked me once for some innocuous post that he VEHEMENTLY disagreed with. Kept hounding me with questions, demands of proof, accusations of dishonesty, etc. Just really unhinged trolling. It was quite crazy.

"Gin-soaked" amply sums him up. He has a drunk's blind rage.

by Anonymousreply 12702/12/2014

I read that he was tossed out of a Jodie Foster media event and that's why he hates her.

by Anonymousreply 12802/12/2014

OMG....I was watching a documentary on Roz Russell on my PBS station yesterday (yes, I know, that sentence alone is the Gayest Thing Ever)....and who appears before my wonderous eyes but...

David Ehrenstein!

He was one of the talking heads in the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 12901/19/2015
Need more help? Click Here.