Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Wow, Robert Reed was such a little prima donna on the "Brady Bunch" set.

Was reading a little about him. Apparently he always clashed with producer Sherwood Schwartz on the quality of the scripts. He refused to appear in two episodes because of the especially low quality of the scripts--the one where Alice quits and gets a job a the diner, and the final episode where Greg's hair turns red after he uses Bobby's hair tonic. What was he expecting...Shakespeare? Seriously, just suck it up, do your job, and collect that big fat check. He supposedly loved the kids like his own, but Florence Henderson resented his constact bashing of the writing. Overall he seems like a very angry guy who felt he worth so much more than the material he was given.

by Anonymousreply 17501/31/2015

That's what happens to closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

Reed was working for Sherwood Schwartz and expected the scripts to be high art? He had to have known what he was getting into when he was hired. I was a child when The Brady Bunch was on the air, and even at that young age I knew that show was garbage. One of the "unfunniest" sitcoms ever on TV. I have a sense of humor, but I don't think I ever laughed during an episode of that show. I don't know why Reed took the job if he thought he was so far above the material. People are strange. Another thing: He skipped two episodes of the sitcom, but appeared in EVERY EPISODE of the even more vapid "Brady Bunch Hour". Something was rotten in the state of Denmark.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

R1, everybody was a "closet case" in his day.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

R3 Sadly, most still are.

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

heaven forbid anyone complain about stupidity

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

Even Susan Olsen was disgusted by his behavior. One afternoon on the set, she taunted Mr. Reed with, "Baby talk, baby talk, it's a wonder you can walk." He slapped her face and locked her in the trunk of his car for the remainder of the afternoon (until Sam the Butcher heard her screams and let her out).

by Anonymousreply 601/17/2013

I'm sure it was a huge come down from his previous serious drama series ("The Defenders"), but considering the source also created Gilligan's Island, what was he expecting?

by Anonymousreply 801/17/2013

Things were different back then. Actors were not as high paid as they are now. They also felt like it was their duty to develop the character so a lot of them did that.

Florance Henderson was also a bitch, wanted to be a singer and whined about it all the time doing specials outside of the Brady Bunch world.

That is when she was not busy boinking Greg.

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2013

Many of the clashes about scripts were because Reed thought they could address some actual social issues going on during those times instead of the fake, happy, cornball family thing. Divorce, drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancies, etc. Hell, maybe even gay teens. The only thing that came close to real social issue was when Greg smoked a cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2013

If I had been Robert Reed, I would have boycotted being in the episodes with that insufferable little Cousin Oliver shit. I loathed that child. I changed the channel every time I saw Robbie Rist or Mason Reese on the tube. I couldn't stand those kids.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

You've got to admit, his script changes would have made the show better. For instance, in the episode about the model volcano, Peter was leaving the kitchen one day when Mike, noticing the obvious, remarked, "Peter, that is one fine ass!" Needless to say, the scene was redone with the remark removed.

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

Good point R7, but the thing is, back then and even a little bit now, actors who were really famous felt they would never work again if they came out.

Sadly, that's not true today but so many of the male actors still think like that.

If Jody Foster was 25 in stead of 50, she would not have any issue about that. But instead she is 50 still living in past homophobia. So that explains her weird rant coming out speech....Im gay and I am quitting the business!

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

R4 Exactly. Not much has changed.

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

I read that he did those variety specials because he wanted the opportunity to sing and perform in front of a live audience. Those specials are beyond campy. Eve Plumb was smart to stay far, far away.

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

If I were a gay man, I'm not sure I could've kept my hands off a nicely developing Barry Williams, especially in season 4. They don't build 'em like that anymore. Vavavavoom!

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

I personally think The Brady Bunch was the best show on T.V. back then. It was funny, heart-warming and fun. All of the castmembers were perfect for their roles. That's why The Brady Bunch is still so popular among young people. It will live forever. Think of all the shows from its day that are long forgotten: Love American Style, Bob Newhart Show, Petrocelli, Cannon, Barney Jones P.I., Get Christy Love, Sanford & Sons, Sonny & Cher, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Columbo and the list goes on. Who under 30 even knows those shows? Every person under 30 knows who The Bradys were. Bob Reed was just a perfectionist. That's why he was so good in that part.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013

The Brady Bunch was really bad TV, it wasn't successful because it was good. Who are we kidding here. It sucked hard!

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2013

R16 And they even had matching perms!

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2013

They need to remake the Brady Bunch into a serious drama movie. I say Michael Cuesta or Larry Clark should direct.

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2013

R17 I'm sorry, but anyone under 30 who doesn't know of Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore is missing out on some of the best television ever produced in ANY era. The same can be said of Columbo. There were many other great shows on in that early '70s era - M*A*S*H, All In The Family, Hawaii Five-O, The Rockford Files, Mission: Impossible, Emergency!, Adam-12, The Six Million Dollar Man, etc., that were far better than TBB. Brady Bunch was basically a kid's show. Also, I think by "Barney Jones, P.I.", you actually meant "Barnaby Jones" with Buddy Ebsen. Not a great show, but far better than the Bradys.

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2013

r20, they sort of tried that with the late 80s dramady, making faux Marcia an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2013

r22, I wouldn't call that movie "serious." Have you seen L.I.E. or Twelve and Holding? Think of the Brady family examined in that style. It would be amazing what skeletons could be uncovered in that House.

by Anonymousreply 2301/17/2013

There was a short-lived series spun off from the movie called "The Bradys."

by Anonymousreply 2401/17/2013

R21, you are right that we had many really good programs to watch during that era. I still watch on MeTV, THIS network, Retro-TV, and the local independent stations. I can't stand all the TV shows they are showing nowadays, the phony Star Search shows, the amateur hour song and dance shows, the out-of-touch-with-reality shows.

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2013

FAMILY!

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2013

I once shared a cab with Robert Reed and a mutual friend. I have never met such a sour, rude, disagreeable man in my life. (besides, he didn't want to jump on my bones, so I guess I might be prejudiced!)

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013

Sada, go take a Feen-A-Mint. You're looking constipated again.

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2013

I loved BB and watched the daily reruns religiously. I knew it wasn't a great show. But it was funny in a dorky, fun, light-hearted kind of way. It didn't take itself seriously. It just was what it was. But it was also a feel-good, warm-hearted show. I felt good when I watched it. It brought a smile to my little face.

Believe it or not, children, there was life (pre-SNL) before hipster irony. There was a time when TV comedies were sweet and funny. They weren't trying to be cool, or ironic, or edgy. They were stupid and silly and people loved them.

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2013

But beyond that RR was apparently a dick. Most actors are.

by Anonymousreply 3001/17/2013

r27, Reed liked his meat dark.

by Anonymousreply 3101/17/2013

R27 Once again, that's what living in the closet does to a person. He lived a lie all day every day and was constantly forced to pretend that he was something that he wasn't. I lived in the closet until I was 24, it made me a very disagreeable and nasty person too. Coming out releases all of those demons and I am a very happy person today. I can't imagine if I was still closeted at the age I am today (56). It's a shame that he couldn't show who he really was. No wonder he was so bitter.

by Anonymousreply 3201/17/2013

I thought Reed was a good looking man in the first couple of seasons of the show, then he got that god-awful kinky perm and ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 3301/17/2013

My gaydar was always terrible. Robert Reed never pinged for me at all. I totally thought he and Florence Henderson had great sexual chemistry. The only gay actor I knew of when I was growing up in the 70s was Rock Hudson. My parents knew someone who knew someone who knew Rock, so Rock being gay was always common knowledge in our household. Of course, we were pretty sure about Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly, as well. Other than that, zip!

by Anonymousreply 3401/17/2013

What type of guys did RR like? On the 'net somewhere it said he was a nasty person, esp. when he had been drinkng,and that is rumoured to have been often. Any truth to this? The closet will do that to a person. IIRC, he had a daughter. Did the family ever acknowledge his sexuality? What is the story about this?

I thought the man was hot in the later years, when he had the 'fro and did the shirtless scenes in Hawaii. Yup, spanked my dong later after that! Peter grew up to be quite the in-shape hottie. Greg, not so much. Bobby, umm,no.

by Anonymousreply 3501/17/2013

[quote]Many of the clashes about scripts were because Reed thought they could address some actual social issues going on during those times instead of the fake, happy, cornball family thing. Divorce, drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancies, etc. Hell, maybe even gay teens.

Alice becomes a Mexican drug mule.

Sam, the butcher, is caught diddling Bobby. The family is shocked to discover that it's been going on for years.

Jan's low self-esteem causes her to be gang-banged by the football team and she ends up pregnant. The family decides that it's best for her to have an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 3601/17/2013

My sister worked in a little flower shop in L.A. in the late 70s and Reed was one of her semi-regular customers. She really liked him and said he was quite kind. The only exceptions were a couple of times where he had been drinking and she said he could be very pompous. She was the one who told me he was gay (he had been in the shop with a couple of his "friends"). I was shocked at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3701/17/2013

Florence Henderson says that she guessed from the pilot he was gay. She has said that he was extremely uncomfortable filming those kissing scenes in the hotel room (before the kids and Alice show up). His obvious discomfort necessitated the scene being reshot several times. She sensed something was up. She went to Sherwood Schwartz and said, and I quote, "that boy ain't straight."

by Anonymousreply 3801/17/2013

I'm not sure how TV worked in the 60s but I seem to recall reading that Robert Reed was some kind of contract player for Paramount and that's how he ended up doing "The Brady Bunch." He considered himself a serious actor and really didn't want to do a sitcom. Maybe he did the pilot not expecting it to ever go to series - considering how awful he thought the writing was I can imagine him believing this.

I also read Gene Hackman was considered for the role of Mike Brady. Not sure if he actually auditioned or if he was just on a list of possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 4101/17/2013

OMG can you imagine Gene Hackman with a perm?

by Anonymousreply 4201/17/2013

OP: Why. Do. You. Care.

by Anonymousreply 4301/17/2013

That show sucked. Everything from the writing to the acting....or overacting. The sets were cheap as shit. I liked watching Greg mow that AstroTurf lawn and their patio door with no glass, or screen. I did want Peter Brady, though.

by Anonymousreply 4401/17/2013

The show was a sitcom (situation comedy) with six children. What the hell did he expect? Shakespeare

by Anonymousreply 4501/17/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4601/17/2013

It was an attempt to capitalize on the successes of "Yours, Mine and Ours," and "With Six You Get Eggroll."

by Anonymousreply 4701/17/2013

"Florence Henderson says that she guessed from the pilot he was gay. She has said that he was extremely uncomfortable filming those kissing scenes in the hotel room (before the kids and Alice show up). His obvious discomfort necessitated the scene being reshot several times. She sensed something was up. She went to Sherwood Schwartz and said, and I quote, "that boy ain't straight.""

This is weird to me. Wouldn't any handsome leading-man-type actor have had to do lots of kissing scenes in his career by the time he was in his late thirties? Not to mention that in real life, he had actually fucked a woman at least once (resulting in his daughter)? Hard to believe he would have a difficult time with a kissing scene. And it's the fucking Brady Bunch for God's sake, it's not like he was doing a Basic Instinct scene where he had to suck on Flo's tits and put his face in her crotch.

by Anonymousreply 4801/17/2013

[quote]. And it's the fucking Brady Bunch for God's sake, it's not like he was doing a Basic Instinct scene where he had to suck on Flo's tits and put his face in her crotch.

No, but Ann B. Davis had it in her contract that Reed had to go down on her during lunch breaks.

by Anonymousreply 4901/17/2013

The two BB send up movies with Gary Cole and Shelley Long were hysterical.

The same family and fashions transported to the nineties.

by Anonymousreply 5001/17/2013

Agreed, R50. They were both so underrated.

by Anonymousreply 5101/17/2013

"Moesha, Moesha, Moesha!"

by Anonymousreply 5201/17/2013

One thing I did really enjoy about the show was the bimonthly spanking scenes with Peter. It was cute how Christopher would turn to me every time and ask where the cameras were and why we did the scenes in my den.

by Anonymousreply 5301/17/2013

Jan and that huge afro wig at the school dance.

[Noreen is in bed with Marcia] Marcia Brady: Noreen, is that you? Noreen: Oh, sorry, I thought that was my leg.

by Anonymousreply 5401/17/2013

[quote]Hard to believe he would have a difficult time with a kissing scene. And it's the fucking Brady Bunch for God's sake, it's not like he was doing a Basic Instinct scene where he had to suck on Flo's tits and put his face in her crotch.

Actually, it is probably easier to fake vigorous, overt sexual activity. Likely it is more difficult to imitate the sort of casual, "kissy-kissy" intimacy shared by a committed couple. Having to cuddle and smooch with a woman put Robert Reed on his guard. It would have been easy for any actor who really likes women.

by Anonymousreply 5501/17/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5601/17/2013

As I understand it, he wasn't after high art or social realism; he just wanted the scripts to make sense. He knew he was in a sitcom. He also knew that good comedy follows a logic of its own, even crazy comedies like Duck Soup or The Bank Dick. All good sitcom episodes hang together, and that's all Robert Reed wanted. That and a good blow job.

by Anonymousreply 5701/17/2013

If BB had been renewed for another season, they were just going to dump Robert Reed. Everyone hated him and Schwartz went to his agent and told him the news. His agent first protested and then when he found out that Schwartz wouldn't budge, changed his tack and said he had the perfect replacement. If the show went on, Mike Brady would have been.......John McMartin. From "Follies" to "Brady Bunch."

by Anonymousreply 5801/17/2013

Did Ann B. Davis have girlfriends while she was doing the Brady Bunch? Did the rest of the cast know she was a lezzie? She seems so asexual to me. I wonder if she's ever had sex?

by Anonymousreply 5901/17/2013

My favorite episode was "Peter and the Treasure Trail." As the boys showered together, Bobby wonders why he doesn't have hair down there like his brothers. Pissed because Peter's dark luscious trail is thicker than his, Greg shaves it off as he slept. Changing the bed linens the next morning, Alice wonders why there was so much loose hair on Peter's crusty, bleach-smelling sheets and asked Sam if he might have an idea. Jan eavesdrops on their conversation and makes an entry in her diary, which Cindy of course reads. Wondering aloud what that means while playing with Kitty Karry-All, Marsha overhears Cindy talking to her doll and tells mom. Carol discusses it with Mike who, in turn, has a stern talking-to with his son about varying degrees of puberty and body hair growth with side-by-side comparisons of the boys, their friends and dad. Everyone lives happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 6001/17/2013

If I am not mistaken, Robert Reed was trained as a Shakespearean actor. If that is correct, then, yes, I can see how he might think the BB was silly. I can see why he took the job. It was a job, after all. Didn't he go on to teach after the BB?

by Anonymousreply 6101/18/2013

Reed also played a villain in 1976 on Wonder Woman. He'd aged shockingly.

In a case of life imitating art, he played The Falcon, a plague infected mercenary spreading disease wherever he went.

by Anonymousreply 6201/18/2013

Robert Reed made the same mistake with The Brady Bunch that Natalie Schafer had made with Gilligan's Island. They signed up to film the pilots of their respective series figuring that no network would ever pick up a piece of crap like that. Reed even figured that after Sherwood Schwartz's fool's luck with Gilligan, he'd never sell another series. Of course both shows sold and both actors found themselves stuck in their parts for years.

by Anonymousreply 6301/18/2013

It was the Brady Bunch for fuck's sweet sake! All the scripts were low quality.

by Anonymousreply 6401/18/2013

R1 is right. I used to be unable to figure out why some guys were so freakin' angry about everything.

Then, I realized (in most cases) it's because they were closeted.

by Anonymousreply 6601/18/2013

[quote]I'm not sure I could've kept my hands off a nicely developing Barry Williams, especially in season 4

In season 4, you wouldn't have had to. Barry was legal by then.

by Anonymousreply 6701/18/2013

Funny how no one said anything while he was alive.

Real easy to attack the dead.

by Anonymousreply 6801/18/2013

The Internet was a kinder, gentler place before 1992 when Robert Reed died, R68.

by Anonymousreply 6901/18/2013

[quote]the one where Alice quits and gets a job a the diner, and the final episode where Greg's hair turns red after he uses Bobby's hair tonic.

Those were two of my favorite episodes.

I know TBB is considered a ridiculous, trite show but I loved it when I was a kid and the episodes take me back to the 70's and bring back good memories. I like that it's innocent and old-fashioned--there were plenty of other shows that dealt with heavier social issues, so I don't see much wrong with TBB being exactly as it was.

by Anonymousreply 7001/18/2013

What about the one where Greg bends over and Mike rubs his buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 7101/18/2013

Or how about the cross-over episode where inner-city Chicago meets suburban L.A., and Peter meets newly-transplanted Good Times' Michael Evans, and they explore the differences and mysteries of each other's cocks and holes?

by Anonymousreply 7201/18/2013

Read that he was quite the scandal on the set of the Ye Olde Movie Of The Week (I think), 'Pray for the Wildcats' with the Shat.

by Anonymousreply 7301/18/2013

Didn't Alice become some sort of born-again religous wacko?

by Anonymousreply 7401/18/2013

Why would finding God make her a wacko?

by Anonymousreply 7503/11/2013

Alice didn't become a wacko. She joined an episcopal community shortly after The Brady Bunch ended and she is still with them, doing charity work, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7603/11/2013

Ann B. Davis has belonged to a non-cloistered Episcopal religious community for years.

by Anonymousreply 7703/11/2013

Robert Reed wasn't overtly "gay-acting", but if you really pay attention to the show, you can sort of see it in is mannerisms. I loved his blue eyes and deep smoker's voice, and his hair was naturally busy (as were all the other males on the show, as well). They straightened all the guys' hair for the first couple of seasons, and then after they went to Hawaii it was afro city for all of them.

Chris Knight ended up being the hotter of the sons in later years, and he always had a great ass, but in those last couple of seasons of TBB, Barry Williams was a FOX. I, too, wonder if Reed ever daydreamed about him...

by Anonymousreply 7803/11/2013

I thought Reed really loved those kids and treated them like his own. He took them on an all expenses paid vacation to England and looked out for them during the show's run.

by Anonymousreply 7903/11/2013

thanks for the laughs. This is one funny thread.

I, too, watched the re-runs going through puberty and loved Greg and Peter Brady, but mostly Greg.

by Anonymousreply 8003/11/2013

Robert Reed later played a closeted gay man on an episode of HOTEL (DL legend Dee Hall plays the poor, duped wife)

by Anonymousreply 8103/11/2013

Chris Knight became a total babe after a very awkward adolescence.

Cute as fuck Bobby did the reverse.

by Anonymousreply 8203/11/2013

Wow R81, I never heard of the show (born in the 90's) but that seemed risky for the times. Or so I thought.

by Anonymousreply 8303/11/2013

[quote]Chris Knight became a total babe after a very awkward adolescence

Indeed. And that ass was so fuckable...

by Anonymousreply 8403/11/2013

The Brady Bunch has to hold the record for cast members playing doubles.

by Anonymousreply 8503/11/2013

R13 Sing it sister.

by Anonymousreply 8603/11/2013

I liked it when Peter was freeballing in that nightgown in A Very Brady Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 8703/11/2013

I thought Peter was hot as fuck. I know Alice used to finger bang herself while washing Jan's thongs.

by Anonymousreply 8803/11/2013

How could three girls share a bathroom with three boys? Didn't any of the boys jack off (I know Greg went to town on himself in that attic)?

by Anonymousreply 8903/11/2013

They probably circle-jerked. That happened in those days.

by Anonymousreply 9003/11/2013

I got my own bedroom!

by Anonymousreply 9103/11/2013

I want to see the rest of that Hotel episode!

by Anonymousreply 9203/11/2013

Pt. 2

by Anonymousreply 9303/11/2013

Thanks!!

by Anonymousreply 9403/11/2013

Reed was a classically trained actor, Northwestern. He appeared on Broadway and on the short-lived but well respected legal drama The Defenders.

He was under contract to Paramount, which produced the Brady Bunch. Jeffrey Hunter wanted the role of Mike Brady. I think Gene Hackman was also under contract to Paramount at the time

Reed also had a recurring role on Mannix at the same time as the Brady Bunch. He played Mannix's friend/connection on the Los Angeles Police Force. Mannix was also produced by Paramount

by Anonymousreply 9503/12/2013

Reed also played a transexual on Medical Center

by Anonymousreply 9603/12/2013

R17 don't be ridiculous. Sanford and Son and the Bob Newhart Show? Of people know about those shows...THEY ARE STILL ON TV.

by Anonymousreply 9703/12/2013

R58 is full of shit. Reed's cast-mates loved him. This kids said that he treated them as if he were their dad. Florence loved him too.

Schwartz was an old homophobe who took delight in putting Reed down after his death.

Reed was contractually obligated to do the pilot...he didn't want to do it. He did hope that the pilot would sink, given how bad it was. Unfortunately for him it was a hit.

He asked to be let out of the show, but Schwartz wouldn't let him leave. So if Schwartz didn't like the complaining, he had only himself to blame.

Reed felt the show was too saccharine and he was right. Particularly in the latter years of the show, when it was dying, Reed felt that they should have tried to make it a bit more like a real family. Instead the show brought in Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 9803/12/2013

Eww, that picture in r84 is not good. Peter looks scummy and stoned and has buttery teeth.

by Anonymousreply 9903/12/2013

buttery teeth???

by Anonymousreply 10003/15/2013

Loved Reed and E.G. Marshall on "The Defenders"

by Anonymousreply 10103/15/2013

Bonnie Franklin & Roseanne fought for more realistic sitcoms and won. Why shouldn't Reed?

by Anonymousreply 10203/15/2013

Reed was gay. Of course he was a prima donna.

by Anonymousreply 10303/15/2013

[quote]Florance Henderson was also a bitch, wanted to be a singer and whined about it all the time doing specials outside of the Brady Bunch world.

She thought that The Brady Bunch was going to be a musical variety show, that's why she signed up for it.

by Anonymousreply 10403/15/2013

[quote]If I had been Robert Reed, I would have boycotted being in the episodes with that insufferable little Cousin Oliver shit. I loathed that child. I changed the channel every time I saw Robbie Rist or Mason Reese on the tube. I couldn't stand those kids.

I stopped watching when they added cousin Oliver to the show. The show was pretty bad after that.

by Anonymousreply 10503/15/2013

I knew a guy who used to attend sex parties that Reed would host at his Pasadena home. He told me that Robert had a big dick and fancied young blond surfer types.

by Anonymousreply 10703/15/2013

Who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 10803/15/2013

I quite fancied blond surfer types too. Of course, they are becoming rarer and rarer (especially in L.A.).

by Anonymousreply 10903/15/2013

[quote]I quite fancied blond surfer types too. Of course, they are becoming rarer and rarer (especially in L.A.).

That's because they are all tattered up, that you don't recognize them.

by Anonymousreply 11003/15/2013

R110 Yeah, true. I miss the old '70s/'80s types. Luckily, I had my share back in the day. Lots of 'em were raging power-bottoms, which was just fine with me. Word has it that Robert Reed was quite the power-bottom himself.

by Anonymousreply 11103/15/2013

[quote]I knew a guy who used to attend sex parties that Reed would host at his Pasadena home

Don't leave us hanging! Tell us more!

by Anonymousreply 11203/15/2013

I wonder how Reed felt filming that HOTEL episode? If it was cathartic in some way--being able to 'be himself' without really coming out publicly--or if it felt like he was getting away with something (i.e. hiding in plain sight) etc.

by Anonymousreply 11303/16/2013

r98 nailed it, and it shouldn't have taken until nearly 100 posts for the correct explanation. I actually thought Reed had willingly filmed the pilot, assuming it was so bad it couldn't last long. Then he was stuck with it and it typecast him, that's what he hated. I'd forgotten he was actually contractually obligated to do it, and asked to be replaced before the series. So of course he complained, he had every right to.

And no, he wasn't the reason the series ended. They were on the fence about a 6th season or whatever was next, the show had always had fairly weak ratings. Meanwhile the kids had a musical act, they were recording albums and making personal appearances. Their manager convinced them they were hot stuff and should ask for more money. Stingy Schwartz saw that as the last straw, and cancelled the show because of that.

by Anonymousreply 11403/16/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 11503/16/2013

Cousin Oliver was a good luck charm.

by Anonymousreply 11603/20/2013

His sex parties sound hot. Any more dish on them?

by Anonymousreply 11703/20/2013

[quote] Robert Reed was such a little prima donna on the "Brady Bunch" set

How terrible

by Anonymousreply 11803/20/2013

Its ironic how he hated doing the show but still did all the various reunion shows.

by Anonymousreply 11903/22/2013

He was probably contractually required to do the music specials and reunion shows.

Being asked for an increase was a signal to Schwartz that the 7th-year negotiations (at the end of the initial contract and all its renewals) would be costly and it would be easier to dump the show and start a new lower-cost series. Anyone know what Schwartz' project was after TBB?

by Anonymousreply 12003/22/2013

Gary Cole deserved an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 12103/22/2013

[quote] R110] Yeah, true. I miss the old '70s/'80s types

Remember Don Stroud? He was a surfer who was pretty much plucked off the beach and in front of a camera.

A NSFW pic of Don Stroud

by Anonymousreply 12203/22/2013

R81 you forgot to mention Little River Phoenix playing Robert & Dee's sporty young son on that "Hotel" clip.

To those who didn't know "Hotel," it was nightime drama's answer to "The Love Boat," and a fairly successful show in the mid eighties.

by Anonymousreply 12303/22/2013

What is the link between "the Brady Bunch" and "the Golden Girls"

Hint: It has to do with a fat cat.

by Anonymousreply 12403/22/2013

Uh, Fluffy????

by Anonymousreply 12503/22/2013

r124

Wow I didn't realize that was the same actress in both shows. LOL

by Anonymousreply 12603/22/2013

Don Stroud appeared in nearly every hour-long program in the 70s and was so fucking hot!

by Anonymousreply 12703/23/2013

[quote]Hint: It has to do with a fat cat.

My pussy is NOT fat!

by Anonymousreply 12803/23/2013

So what if he clashed with the producers, a bunch of douchebags, anyway.

He was nice to the kids!

In Hollywood, that's unheard of. The guy's a fucking saint!

by Anonymousreply 12903/23/2013

He sounds like a white Bill Cosby.

by Anonymousreply 13003/23/2013

I doubt he was obligated to do a musical variety show 2 years after the series was cancelled, R120. And, honestly, why would he be obligated but Eve Plumb would not?

by Anonymousreply 13103/23/2013

[quote]He was probably contractually required to do the music specials and reunion shows

Nope. Even Barry Williams wondered why he did the musical variety show, particularly when he hated doing the original show.

by Anonymousreply 13203/23/2013

[quote]What is the link between "the Brady Bunch" and "the Golden Girls"

Yep, Shawn Schepps, the little girl with the cat named "Pandora", was also Blanche's fat daughter in TGG. Also, Ken Berry ("F-Troop", "Mama's Family") was on TBB and TGG.

by Anonymousreply 13303/23/2013

[quote]So what if he clashed with the producers, a bunch of douchebags, anyway.

Actually Sherwood Schwartz had a reputation for being a genuinely nice guy who often found himself at the mercy of douchebag network executives.

Schwartz had to sue CBS to receive his share of the profits from GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. He knew better than anyone that it was a rinky-tink show produced on a shoestring budget. But even after years of success in syndication, the greedy suits at CBS dared to claim that it hadn't yet turned a profit.

Schwartz later joked that to make money in television, a producer had to have two hit shows - one to succeed, and a second to provide enough money to sue for the profits from the first.

by Anonymousreply 13403/24/2013

Was the cat named Pandorra? It sounds like she is saying Pintor?

by Anonymousreply 13503/24/2013

It was Pentor.

by Anonymousreply 13603/24/2013

I think her cat was named Pandora, it's just the way she was saying it made it sound like "Pintor".

by Anonymousreply 13703/24/2013

Of course he did the Brady Bunch Variety Hour. It's not like anyone else was knocking down his down...

by Anonymousreply 13803/24/2013

Antenna TV is showing the Hawaii episodes. Bobby and Peter just found the tiki idol.

by Anonymousreply 13903/24/2013

He was smokin' hot in those shorts in the Hawaii episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14003/24/2013

It's actually MeTV not Antenna. Greg just wiped out!! Oh no!!

by Anonymousreply 14103/24/2013

Sonic Wall is now blocking Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 14203/26/2013

Robert Reed was a nice guy, kind, generous and took his craft as an actor very seriously. Unfortunately, Reed suffered from a debilitating medical condition called fecal olfactory obscurus. In this ailment, the patient is unable to detect the scent given off by his own bowel movements.

by Anonymousreply 14303/26/2013

Is Renee Wheeler really bald?

by Anonymousreply 14403/26/2013

Apparently R85 has never seen "Gilligan's Island"

by Anonymousreply 14503/26/2013

Robert Reed didnt like men. He loved men. He thought men were the best. He hated women. He didnt want anything to do with them. When he would look at men he knew he wanted them. He would be in gay bars and guys in underwear would be walking around and he would make a fist and bite it and sigh at just how hot that guy was with an unshaven chest since guys didnt shave their bodies back then. It might have been a body hair fetish he had. Smooth skin was gross to him even though he did it once and held his breath during it probably. He said to himself, enough is enough, and then went on to do The Defenders. Robert Reed wanted men day and night. He needed men to rock his boat. Women didnt exist to him once the cameras were off. It was all men.

by Anonymousreply 14601/26/2015

I believe it was Schwartz's son who told the strawberry story.

There was a scene where Alice & Carol were in the kitchen and Alice was boiling strawberries. Reed was supposed to walk in the kitchen and say something like, "Gosh it sure smells like strawberries in here!"

Reed called Sherwood Schwartz to dressing room/trailer and Schwartz found Reed holding an encyclopedia and angrily read from it, "...strawberries have no discernible smell while being cooked." He waited for Schwartz's response.

Schwartz looked at Reed like he was insane and turned to passing stagehand and asked him, "What do you smell?"

They had done a few takes of the scene before Reed decided to check his encyclopedia so strawberries had been boiling on the set for a few hours.

The stagehand replied, "I smell strawberries."

Schwartz looked back at Reed to see if he was satisfied with that and Reed spit out, "Well, do I believe YOU or do I believe the ENCYCLOPEDIA?!"

Schwartz had some kind of sympathy for Reed, but Schwartz's son absolutely hated him.

Towards the end of the series Schwartz finally had enough of Reed and told him to forget about his contract leave the show if he hated it so much. Instead of leaving Reed continued to hang around the set, standing in the shadows in a very weird, creepy manner.

Florence and the kids loved him, but I can see where others did not share those feelings.

by Anonymousreply 14701/26/2015

if you want to hear an actor complain give him a job.

by Anonymousreply 14801/26/2015

Robert Reed was a good as slave owner in Roots.

by Anonymousreply 14901/26/2015

Funny thing is he jumped at the chance to do that hideously bad BRADY BUNCH HOUR. Florence said he had always wanted to be a song and dance man. But he sucked at it.

by Anonymousreply 15001/26/2015

R150 Honestly? I think it was a mixture of not having a acting job lined up at the time and that Reed really missed his little t.v. family.

by Anonymousreply 15101/26/2015

R149 He was a good father to Sandy Duncan. Didn't care for Kizzy's reading though.

by Anonymousreply 15201/26/2015

These actors than constantly complain about scripts you notice they never leave the show. With Reed's constant script interference, Sherwood should have written a script for Reed's extended absence from the show due to Mike getting an overseas work assignment.

by Anonymousreply 15301/26/2015

I saw Robert Reed in DEATHTRAP on Broadway. He was a farter.

by Anonymousreply 15401/26/2015

Reed would've been happier as Rueben on the Partridge Family. More realistic house, more realistic looking family, funnier story lines and scripts and he would be required to get in bed with a woman or kiss a woman (things that caused him great anxiety) every episode.

Oh the hijinks he, Danny and Keith would've gotten up to!!!

Off topic - Robert Reed was really good looking in the early days of the Brady Bunch!!

(Trivia - Gene Hackman expressed interest in playing Reed's part on the show.)

by Anonymousreply 15501/26/2015

Robert Reed did not actually die of AIDS, although he was HIV positive. The actual cause of death was colorectal cancer.

by Anonymousreply 15601/26/2015

I saw a show on The Brady Bunch and heard many of the stories listed in here. My favorite was Florence Henderson, who really did like Robert Reed, knew he was unsatisfied with the scripts, but she finally said to him something like, "This isn't Shakespeare, Bob, and it's never going to be." She understood he wanted to make the show better, but he was never going to succeed in making it compelling television. It was a cute show aimed at kids. The rest of the cast got it.

He was handsome during the show, but by 1976 he looked awful. He didn't age well at all.

by Anonymousreply 15701/27/2015

[polite chortle from laugh track]

by Anonymousreply 15801/27/2015

The fact that the BB was popular explains why the general public will elect repubes. I don't know how anyone could stand to watch it and I am fairly tolerant of shitty tv.

by Anonymousreply 15901/27/2015

It's true according to Flo, R151. And he did look forward to working with "the kids" again, too. Well, except for Fake Jan.

by Anonymousreply 16001/27/2015

I actually think Reed was trained as a classical actor.

by Anonymousreply 16201/27/2015

For someone so high & mighty, he somehow deigned to lend his talents to The Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 16301/27/2015

[quote] He sounds like a white Bill Cosby.

A comment from 2013....and now completely not applicable.

Since Reed knew the meaning of the word "NO."

by Anonymousreply 16401/27/2015

yes, from what i have read, reed was a classical trained actor and he had issues with the show storylines.. then again, what did he not know what the show was going to be about before he signed on the dotted line.. henderson has often commented on this, that reed thought and wanted it to be way more highbrow then it was....

i always wondered about the episode that was later in the series, after all the men got perms and carol (florence) got a dark tan and had her hair short and dyed and with hip clothing about the quarterback who steals greg's playbook and hits up marsha to do it.. more specifically that episode had as a guest star big handsome denny miller as carol's high school boyfriend and star quarterback TANK who became a famous pro quarterback and he comes back into town for the big cross town rivals game as well as to pay a visit to carol... i wonder in real life if robert reed wishes he was carol in this episode with tall, big gorgeous denny miller! lol! no seriously, i wonder if reed was gaga over miller? if miller big tall blonde baby blue eyed built was his "type"?

by Anonymousreply 16501/27/2015

If you are ever in Skokie --

by Anonymousreply 16601/27/2015

"Robert Reed was such a little prima donna"

Actaully, all I REALLY wanted to be was a prima Donna Reed on the 'Bunch'.

by Anonymousreply 16701/27/2015

[quote]Apparently he always clashed with producer Sherwood Schwartz on the quality of the scripts.

Kind of like complaining about the quality of meat in a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 16801/27/2015

The role was originally offered to David Hedison, who'd played Captain Lee Crane in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Hedison turned it down, explaining later, "I turned it down because after four years of subs and monsters, who needs kids and dogs?"

Hedison had the same fights with Irwin Allen over horrible scripts as Reed had with Schwartz, so if only for the sake of his sanity, he was smart to give BB a pass.

Incidentally, nobody can watch Voyage and not come away convinced that Allen was gay. I mean, c'mon - he came up with a concept for a tv show (yeah, the movie came first) featuring an all-male cast, 99% of them gorgeous eye candy. It had to be the fulfillment of a dream of his. Plus, Allen didn't marry until very late in life - his secretary, if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 16901/27/2015

Pre-perm Bob Reed was quite a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 17001/30/2015

I remember lusting after him in "The Defenders" but being too young to understand my feelings.

by Anonymousreply 17101/30/2015

If you want to see a quality 1960's sitcom, take another look at "Hazel". Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 17201/30/2015

I can see why he liked [italic]Mannix[/italic] better. It had his favorite thing in the title.

by Anonymousreply 17301/30/2015

[quote]As I understand it, he wasn't after high art or social realism; he just wanted the scripts to make sense.

Well, he was right about that hair dye episode. Greg's hair turns orange almost instantly. At least when [italic]Diff'rent Strokes[/italic] ripped it off, they let it set overnight if I recall correctly.

But after a year living in short distance of some strawberry fields, I can tell you that Reed was wrong about the scent of strawberries: it exists.

by Anonymousreply 17401/30/2015

Schwartz pulled this bullshit on Tina Louise, who was close with all her Gilligan's Island cast mates.

He was your typical trouble making Jew.

by Anonymousreply 17501/31/2015
Need more help? Click Here.