Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Happy 306th Birthday to Benjamin Franklin!

He's electrifyin'!

by Anonymousreply 2401/20/2013

"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

"How many observe Christ's birthday! How few, his precepts! O! 'tis easier to keep Holidays than Commandments."

"Beware of the young doctor and the old barber."

"He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

OP here, hes actually 307. Whoops!

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

He's my favorite founding father.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

He was a randy dandy and even after he married he was still pretty much a single man in style.

He was my first older man in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

He was considered to be very handsome, especially in his youth. 5'9", broad shouldered, into physical fitness.

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

R4 Actually, Franklin and Deborah Read were never really officially married.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2013

Amos! Amos!

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2013

his letter written "to a young friend" about the joys and advantages of having sex with older women is one of the wittiest things written in the 18th century

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2013

Franklin was a lot of thing he was NOT: handsome.

You want handsome, how about trouser snake Alexander Hamilton? Known throughout the colonies for being a huge dicked womanizer AND a guy who liked to get it on with men!

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

His sexual prowess and celebrity status pretty much won us our Independence. The Parisians ladies adored him and he adored their salons. The French weren't supporting the Americans when they sided with us to beat the British, they were supporting Benjamin Franklin.

His son, William, was illegitimate. His mother was most likely a prostitute.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2013

r9, I'm sure BF was a good looking young man. He worked in a printing press through his youth, which required quite a lot of strength. He wasn't always the 70 year old man on the $100 bill.

He didn't seem to have trouble getting laid.

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2013

R10 is right. The French adored Franklin and saw him on par with Voltaire. One could argue there were in not for Franklin, we never would have won the war because until the French joined the fight, all Washington was good at was retreating and finding some different place to sleep. Franklin was probably the most famous American at the time. Portraits, busts and ceramic figurines of him sold pretty well in France during his time. He was also the only Founding Father who (as far as I know) spoke out against slavery. Unlike Jefferson or Washington, he did not come from a wealthy, well established family and had almost no formal education. Most Americans have no idea how much of our modern world is thanks to Franklin. He invented the lightning rod and came up with the idea of home insurance. Daylight savings time was his idea. He coined the words negative and positive regarding electrical current. He discovered the Gulf Stream and was the first to make the connection to how our weather is locked into what ocean currents are doing. He never stopped working, never stopped writing, never stopped discovering and inventing.

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2013

They also found a ton of bodies under Ben Franklin's house! He could have been a serial killer for all we know. Some people have tried to pin the bodies on a buddy of his but that story has been debunked.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

For R13:

[quote]In fact, it's unlikely that the bodies were murder victims at all. The bones were sawed through and bore scalpel marks, suggesting the bodies were used for an anatomical study. And it just so happens that Franklin's dear friend William Hewson, whose mother-in-law owned Franklin's home, was a student of the famed anatomist William Hunter.

It should be noted that Hewson later died after cutting himself while dissecting a putrid body and developed an infection.

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2013

Happy 70th to Janis Joplin, today.

by Anonymousreply 1501/19/2013

[quote] He was also the only Founding Father who (as far as I know) spoke out against slavery.

Yes, but he did at one point own slaves when he owned his printing press.

John Adams is spoke out against slavery AND never own slaves. He and Abigail abhorred the idea of owning another human.

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2013

Counterfeiter, ambiguous morality, probable double agent. Don't know if he's quite what you all make him out to be.

by Anonymousreply 1701/19/2013

he was all of the above, a remarkable man in every sense.

And what have YOU done lately, R17? Pushed papers across a desk?

by Anonymousreply 1801/19/2013

Spoken like Lance Armstrong Ms. Ross. Stop making a fetish of success. It's unattractive and reveals you to be an ethical inferior.

by Anonymousreply 1901/19/2013

He was more than successful, he was witty and a voice of the age, warts and all. something you seem to lack entirely

by Anonymousreply 2001/19/2013

Oh yeah, you're a laff riot R20!

I'd be rich and leisured too if I could print my money up in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 2101/19/2013

huh? He's been dead for EVAH! who cares about that?

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2013

He lived to be 84, which was really unusual in the 18th century. That would be like living to 100 today.

by Anonymousreply 2301/20/2013

That guy who's been dead forever and we're not supposed to care about is on the front of the $100 bill.

Bet you care about $$$, loser at r22.

by Anonymousreply 2401/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!