Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Jesus Days" Greg Reynolds, Artist/Photographer

Here is an interesting story from the past about another time in gay America. Not sure if this is of any interest here but the pictures are well worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2013

I won't bore any of you further. This thread is only the 3rd I have ever started here and all were flops. I won't start anymore. Just curious why this thread got no traction. It is a very interesting story with great pictures. Most of the interest here is in dead movie queens, that latest cunt of the moment and Anne of course. Are you all that silly and shallow or is it just the visitors to this site?

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

Who cares about Huffington Post links

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

The 12th photo is lovely, and the combination of the Christian and the "profane" with the 70s and 80s as a backdrop is somewhat uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

Oh, OP, I've been here since the beginning and I rarely start threads because most of mine have been "flops." Eh.

The pictures of interest to me because I'm guessing that the photographer, Greg Reynolds, and I are around the same age. I assume that is Reynolds in the first photograph -- he was quite good looking back then.

Curious how 40 years ago the college-age guys were so lithe and with very little of the musculature that is so prevalent today. Indeed, I could have been the guy in the red shorts and sunglasses in picture 11.

I actually like the mixing of the so-called "sacred" with the so-called "profane." It has a very authentic feel for closeted guys in their 20s from that decade.

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

Hey, OP. Calm down. Or rather, why be a baby? Are you a young-un?

Just because people don't post doesn't mean what you started is a flop. If there's no controversy or easy bitchiness, people are going to stay quiet. Just look at what people get onto - my longest thread was the "lesbian pot-luck wedding reception" trolling thread, for heaven's sake.

BUT back to this - I thought the photos, sharp as they were - looked like everyone else's I've seen from the closety days of yore. Which was validating, in a way. He wasn't cheaping things up, or stealing crotch shots from strangers on the bus (it wasn't as easy to shoot strangers then). He was recording the facts - and some of his "interests."

Do you enjoy photo realisme? Why did you post them? Come on - you want a "successful" thread. Earn it! I'll play - with sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

[R5] Not looking for validation just surprised at the never ending shallowness here and had no explantion for the lack of interest. The story of a gay man living in those times is what I thought would be of interest. I figured out how to be successful here so watch for my, "If Joan Craword's pussy had been Jesus how different would cunts smell today?"

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2013

[R4] I am probably your age and perhaps younger gay men have no appreciation for what gay life was like back then. I also prefer the natural male physique of the day over the pumped and shaved males of today. One look at a shaved crotch and I lose interest. During this time no one ever discussed anything like homosexuality. Just not something anyone would acknowledge. No real subtle references either. Everything was hidden and one speculated about the sex lives of others because they never acknowledge their own. I grew up in a small town and there was a man working the men's clothing store that in retrospect was not like the other men around. My mother told me one day that she hoped I did not grow up to be like him because he still lived with his mother. I suspect he was gay, everyone probably suspected but never dare broach the subject. I don't know if I got the message then but sure figured it out later.

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2013

Well, R7, I think that it is very difficult if not impossible for people today -- who did not grow up in that era or environment -- to be able to understand what it was like. And that is not a knock on anyone; it is just a fact of life. There are a lot of things from previous generations that I don't fully understand.

The oppressive nature of life for gay men in their teens and twenties who were closeted -- and frankly, most of us were -- during the 1960s and 1970s was stifling in a way that is now thankfully difficult to comprehend.

I had gay friends in high school, but none of us acknowledged it then. I had gay friends in college, but any passing references we made were oblique and shrouded at best. These were two separate groups of friends, but the curious and fascinating part is how the members of each group gravitated toward each other in both high school and college without ever acknowledging a strong -- but silent -- part of the bond that brought us together. Only years later did we come out to each other.

I am thankful that those coming out today don't have to experience that. We still have a long way to go, but at least the void of anything LGBT that existed then is no longer true.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.