Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Story of Adele H.

Anyone familiar with this movie? I saw it along time ago. Was Hugo's experience with his obsessive daughter used at all in Les Miz? Was Epoinine based on Adele?

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

I dont usually care for Truffaut films but I loved this one, purely because Isabelle Adjani is absolutely stunning at only 19 here. Its a powerful performance and a great story of her obsessive love. Its a great 1975 movie.

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

Love this movie. It's haunting.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

I too love Isabelle Adjani in this film. She's wonderful.

And OP, I would think the answer to your question is a simple 'yes'.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

She should have won the Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

I love Isabel Adjani in this movie! Yes, she should have won an Oscar. This & Camille Claudel were amazing. She was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 601/17/2013

How won the Oscar that year?

by Anonymousreply 701/17/2013

I doubt Eponine's love for Marius is based on Adele's relationship with Pinson. The two relationships have little to do with each other. Pinson even proposed marriage to Adele but she rejected him, later had a change of heart. Moreover, her obsession with him continued until 1869. Adele didn't follow him to Canada until 1863. Les Miserables was published in 1861.

by Anonymousreply 801/17/2013

R7. Louise Fletcher for Cuckoo--case of voters marking Nicholson and figuring they might as well vote for Fletcher--easier than reading subtitles. Fletcher was excellent, but it really is a supporting role. Tough year to find enough lead actress nominees--we end up with Carol Kane for. Hester Street, Ann-Margret for Tommy, and Glend Jackson for a Hedda no oneI know has ver seen.

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2013

Beautiful movie, and more meaningful than ever in the era of inane internet fandom.

And BTW, Isabelle Adjani must employ a full-time plastic surgeon. How old is she, nearly sixty?

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2013

One of the first foreign language films I ever saw. Have absolutely loved Isabelle Adjani ever since.

Of course, now we know more about the type of romantic obsession Adele suffered from. Sad to think that Adele's love for Pinson would have been cured with the right cocktails of anti-psychotic drugs.

The real Adele Hugo developed full-fledged schizophrenia and, after being reunited with her father, spent the rest of her in an asylum.

Yet the whole story is drenched with romanticism.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

[quote]Sad to think that Adele's love for Pinson would have been cured with the right cocktails of anti-psychotic drugs.

Oh, have they found the pharmaceutical cure for heartbreak? Why is it not marketed more aggressively? If she was schizophrenic, there's nothing they could have done, but being obsessed with another person was probably the most "real" thing about her.

However, there are many versions of this story (like everything). I'm particularly leery of how mental illnesses have been historically documented.

As for the most popular versions of the story compared with Hugo's fiction, these are all common scenarios that fit the dominant cultural narrative at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

The truth for me came when she was so obsessively in love with him, that she no longer recognized him.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!