Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fox News Warns: Public School Teaches “White Privilege” Class

First off, this pile of horse dung was written by Todd Starnes at Fox New. What I love about Fox today is that they are so insular, that they don't even realize that they're basically screaming 'nigger' on the air.

This is hilarious is the comment at the right of the page:

[quote]You folks really know how to mobilize! I'm pleased to report that Amazon has now lifted the suspension of my book. They did not give us an explanation."

The title of the book? "Dispatches from Bitter America: A Gun Toting, Chicken Eating Son of a Baptist's Culture War Stories" lmfao

A school district in Wisconsin said they will review a high school diversity class that exposed students to radical leftist thinkers and promoted a critical race theory that alleges white people are oppressors.

The “American Diversity” class was taught to students at Delavan-Darien High School in Wisconsin, Fox News has learned.

“They’re teaching white guilt,” one parent told Fox News. “They’re dividing the students. They’re saying to non-whites, ‘You have been oppressed and you’re still being oppressed.’”

The parent, who asked not to be identified, has an 18-year-old son who was enrolled in the class and became alarmed after she looked at some of the handouts provided to the students. “I felt it was indoctrination,” she said. “This is a radical left agenda and ideology that is now embedded in our school.”

The parent said the students were taught “if you’re white, you’re oppressing. If you’re non white, you’ve been a victim.”

According to handouts obtained by Fox News, “white privilege” was defined as “a set of advantages that are believed to be enjoyed by white people beyond those commonly experienced by non-white people in the same social, political, and economic spaces (nation, community, workplace, income, etc.”

Students were also given a handout from University of Texas professor Robert Jensen arguing that people don’t have complete control over their fate.

“There is not space here to list all the ways in which white privilege plays out in our lives, but it is clear that I will carry this privilege with me until the day white supremacy is erased from society,” he wrote.

Students were also instructed to visit the toy aisle at Wal-Mart for a hands-on illustration of white privilege.

“They were told to go and count the number of dolls that were representative of blacks as opposed to whites,” the parent said. “It’s meant to divide and victimize non-whites and condition whites to feel guilty and to be more passive.”

She brought the material to the attention of school officials and eventually to Robert Crist, the new superintendent of the Delavan-Darien School District.

“A lot of red flags go up in my mind when I look at the materials,” Crist told Fox News. “Her concern has merit.”

“Ideally, you would want to present one theory that might be way on the left and another theory that may be way on the right and if you find one in the middle you can present that, too,” he said. “Now you have a well-rounded discussion in my opinion.”

Crist said he believes the class was being taught long before he became superintendent. The course is currently undergoing an evaluation.

“The class will not be taught again until that process is fully complete,” Crist said. He said the teacher, who is young, used the materials to “stimulate the thought process.” “I don’t believe he intended to indoctrinate anybody,” he said.

But the material that has been presented to students in the conservative community did concern the superintendent.

“I’m out of an old-fashioned school,” he said. “I believe in helping kids understand the basic objectives of curriculum and not use some radical material to get a student to support some kind of a special theory.”

The parent also reached out to the Young America’s Foundation – who first shed light on the controversial course.

YAF staff member Brendan Pringle, called the course “race-baiting.”

“This course offers a snapshot of a larger trend that has plagued university curriculum for years and has only recent crept into high school classrooms,” he wrote in an essay. “Professors and teachers are increasingly telling white students that they are part of the problem of racism, and are telling black students that they are second-class citizens. This race-baiting technique is an attack on American values and can only breed bitterness and envy.”

At the same time, Crist said schools have a responsibility to prepare students for the real world. “There are a lot of radical people in our country and across the world,” he said. “They need to be ideally attuned to some of the different thought patterns that different cultures may have.” But did the teacher cross the line?

“Ideally a teacher is not supposed to share their own viewpoint,” Crist said. “With this type of class, the teacher looks for controversial items like that to stimulate the kids into discussing things in regard to cultural diversity.”

The parent said that’s all well and good – but the teacher only offered students one perspective and were not allowed to debate the theory.

“This teacher has free reign to pick the material that he wanted to use,” she said. “He chose extremely radical left thinkers. He didn’t give those kids alternative information.” The parent said last summer her son got a job washing dishes – working sometimes 10 hours a day.

“I was so proud of him,” she said. “And then to have a teacher tell you that you have these unearned privileges – that because you are white somehow you infringe on other people’s rights. It’s really just awful.”

Sarah Palin, Mark Levin, and Sean Hannity say you need to read Todd’s latest book – Dispatches From Bitter America. Click here to get your copy!

by Anonymousreply 6601/18/2013

White guilt is so 00's.

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

THIS is considered radical?

Bad things happen when fraus look at course materials.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

Well, at least they're not bitter. Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

R3 go back to the Klan rally, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

i know you're mad that you might not be able to buy your rambo guns, but no need to let the racism out.

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2013

Oh, you're just brilliant R9. Go back to posting about Serena. Ok, baby girl?

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2013

Classes like that are basically stupid. And fodder to the crazy far right. Cultural leftists ruin everything. Not as harmful as the rightists.but by keeping these culture wars alive play into the hands of.Wall Street which wants working class at each other.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

Why can't people like R6 ever use punctuation correctly?

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

Much ado about nothing. If the outrage is about teaching white privilege and how it shouldn't be taught in public schools, where is the outrage for the hundreds ( if not more) public school classes which are forcing Christian beliefs and far right wing philosophy in the schools? No, this is another fake outrage to support the Republican agenda to remake public education, destroy the unions, and give money to religious and magnet schools, which can espouse their philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

So providing a definition to the term "white privilege" is indoctrination? Counting the number of white dolls as opposed to non white dolls is indoctrination?

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

It could be given the context, r14. There are more important things to teach. The basics, the canon, general critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

You know, stuff that helps make one employable.

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

"The canon" helps make one employable? Just stop it. Please.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013

R15 Can you give me an example of when providing the factual definition of a word is indoctrination?

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2013

" and promoted a critical race theory that alleges white people are oppressors."

But they are, as a group. I'm sorry, but white people are not oppressed. Individuals - gay, working class, disabled, female - may well be, but the white people as a whole ARE the oppressors.

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2013

R15 was making a good point, until he pissed it all away with attributing it to making people employable.

I agree the canon and such are important, in that there used to be a time when education was also about being a bit enlightened and well-rounded. Now, people are proud of their ignorance, and knowledge of any cultural event older than 2001 is deemed 'pretentious'.

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2013

"support the Republican agenda to remake public education, "

Actually, they want to do away with all public education.

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2013

R17, taught correctly, yes, that is taught critically. And I'll bet there was little economic class analysis in this course. Stupid course taught by a not very experienced teacher. More harmful than good.

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2013

R22 Still waiting here for an example of when providing the factual definition of something is the same as indoctrination. Seeing how you made this claim I would think you would want to back it up.

by Anonymousreply 2301/17/2013

There are plenty of ways to teach about white privilege than in a provoking, far-out way in the classroom. The movie Django might be a place to start.

by Anonymousreply 2401/17/2013

Django would be good as well as Bamboozled. I don't have a problem personally with good teaching that is also "provoking" and "far out". My best teachers have been both.

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2013

I had a few terrible teachers in the public school system. One showed movies every day and slept in class.

The parents and the principal wanted to fire them but, of course, weren't allowed to do that because of the union.

Professors are/were given tenure so they could do independent research without feeling pressure from the administration.

How is that relevant to elementary school and high school teachers?

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2013

I would be interested to if this class was required or if it was an elective. If its an elective, then one really cant complain. Its not like they were forced to be there.

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013

"[R17], taught correctly, yes, that is taught critically."

So couldn't teaching about white privilege "correctly," I.e., "critically" have the same impact?

"And I'll bet there was little economic class analysis in this course."

Why do you "bet" this?

"Stupid course taught by a not very experienced teacher. More harmful than good."

How could you possibly know this?

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2013

Education majors have the lowest average SAT scores of any of the disciplines. The smart ones are generally in the field because they're either lazy or pedophiles. So, yes, this is probably a shitty class.

I'm so cynical.

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2013

The kinds of people this kind of class irritates are asswipes.

There IS such a thing as white privilege and there is nothing wrong with learning about it.

by Anonymousreply 3001/17/2013

r28, the principal in the article said the teacher was new and inexperienced.

by Anonymousreply 3101/17/2013

Rich, white bankers --> steal billions, start international wars --> get government loans --> build bigger homes in Hamptons

Poor black kids --> smoke a doob --> jail

by Anonymousreply 3201/17/2013

I hate how extreme right wingers try to claim everythig as their own. As if only people of their values eat chicken, own a gun, or go to church. They are just the only ones that are blowhards about it.

by Anonymousreply 3301/17/2013

Yes, and we know they own god now too R33. "Godless" liberals and all that stuff. They tend to sputter if you tell them someone goes to church every Sunday and votes Democrat, supports gay marriage and is pro-choice. They cannot comprehend it. "Take back America" is their code for "my idea of what America is" not realizing that America is made up of many different ethnic, cultural and religious groups all with different "values". I love when they say "old-fashioned American values" and then can't explain them.

by Anonymousreply 3401/17/2013

I like those methods too but for seeking knowledge on my own. I think having radical anti-white classes plays into the hands of the Foxwipes, who can create more trouble and noise than any liberal group ever could.

by Anonymousreply 3501/17/2013

It's not "anti-white" to point out white privilege, r35.

by Anonymousreply 3601/17/2013

This is the way Fox News and Regressives operate. Calling attention to an uncomfortable fact is considered bias or indoctrination. Just last week they were freaking out and calling it liberal bias that a text book stated no WMD were ever found in Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 3701/17/2013

All high school should teach about privilege. White privilege, male privilege and straight privilege.

They should teach young people to be critical thinkers, and how to deconstruct the world around them.

by Anonymousreply 3801/17/2013

Why are there quotes around the words White Privilege?

It's areal thing, not an opinion or a fucking flying unicorn.

by Anonymousreply 3901/17/2013

Then again, I guess Conservatives use airquotes when talking about anything factual. no doubt this is the same school that teaches "History" or "algebra" or "English literature" ... "etc."

by Anonymousreply 4001/17/2013

It's about time.

by Anonymousreply 4101/17/2013

Waste. Of. Time.

by Anonymousreply 4201/17/2013

You know how I know white privilege still exists? By watching the aftermath coverage of this year's election. The gnashing of teeth, the wringing of hands, the lamentations of Fox's women. ZOMG MINORITIES VOTED! THEY VOTED OMG THEY VOTED.

by Anonymousreply 4301/17/2013

Conservatives are the most insecure people on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 4401/17/2013

But where would all that "I worked HARD for this" bluster go??

by Anonymousreply 4501/17/2013

Yes. We thought the brown and black ones got the voting thing out of their system in 2008. We were quite surprised they remembered how to return to the polling stations 4 years later.

We have planned this time around, though. We will undoubtedly have a brown or black personage on our 2016 ticket. We like the Cuban fellow who is a Mormon Catholic Baptist Catholic. He also speaks Spanish.

And we are grooming one of the Little Brown Ones for 2020. George Prescott Bush, who is getting us used to referring to him as Whore Hay. It should work out well for us.

by Anonymousreply 4601/17/2013

I wonder if the car elevator has been built yet.

by Anonymousreply 4701/17/2013

r44 is right. AND paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 4801/17/2013

I would like to add they are also pussies to R44 and R48's assessment.

by Anonymousreply 4901/17/2013

Good point.

Insecure, paranoid pussies.

They are Blanche, they are!!

by Anonymousreply 5001/17/2013

Total pussies and so authoritarian. How do you hate the government so much yet get so jingoistic and bootlicking at the same time? It's very strange.

by Anonymousreply 5101/17/2013

Teaching a "white privilege" class will only further feed a mindset that keep whites privileged and blacks feeling (and being) disadvantaged.

I bet the Asian students must be having a good laugh over this.

by Anonymousreply 5201/17/2013

It's just a fact that white straight males have had most of the power. There should be nothing wrong with discussing it. The more uncomfortable it makes them to discuss it, the more I think it needs to be discussed.

by Anonymousreply 5301/17/2013

Exactly r53.

by Anonymousreply 5401/17/2013

Always remember there are only 2 million people watching Fox at any given time, a few more during special times, like elections. There are 303 million other people that don't give a shit what they say.

by Anonymousreply 5501/17/2013

Only rich whites were privileged. Now the 1% is made up of different color, while the worker bees are still exploited.

by Anonymousreply 5601/17/2013

There's definitely a class privilege.

by Anonymousreply 5701/17/2013

No R52, it will help explain the dynamics of society so that those concerned can help change society for the better. Not that you'd have interest in that all.

And Asians are well aware of white privilege. They are uniquely positioned to be completely prepared to compete yet *still* face racism in today's society. Or have you not read some of the anti-Asian posts around here lately?

by Anonymousreply 5801/17/2013

R58 Yes they face racism and do very, very well in spite of it. Check out the number of their children in the best schools, getting the best jobs.

They also know how to be racist to those who THEY feel superior to as well.

R53 You really think white privileged teens are going to feel uncomfortable hearing about how much they're privileged?

After class, they'll probably be giving one another high-fives over it.

by Anonymousreply 5901/17/2013

I doubt you have many if any Asian friends, R59. They could set you straight on how "well" they do and the price they pay. You think once you have "good grades" and get a "good job" your troubles are over? Think again.

Discussion of white privilege is a valuable and worthy endeavor.

And not all white privileged kids are proud of their privilege. Some really do understand how this can separate and divide society. Not sure why this is hard for you to fathom.

by Anonymousreply 6001/17/2013

Puritanism is still alive and well and its 'progressive' adherents are posting on Datalounge!

I believe that Nature is God and Darwin is its prophet.

Words to live by: "Never apologize. Never explain."

by Anonymousreply 6101/17/2013

61 is a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 6201/18/2013

Or, sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 6301/18/2013

There is such a ting as white privilege and male privilege and class privilege and wealth privilege. Undeniably so.

There is also a problem in that these social realities are often taught so badly that they perpetuate the victimization of anyone other than rich, white upper class men rather than educating about the ways race, class, gender and wealth have created inequities and still do. Some academics seem so vested in these constructs that they create an ingrained sense of victimhood. A byproduct of this has been the infantilization of people who are not privileged by virtue of race, class or gender.

by Anonymousreply 6401/18/2013

No, r64. That is not what Fox News is trying to warn their sheep about and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 6501/18/2013

Racism stems, in part, from ignorance of and about white privilege. Stereotypes, blame-the-victim mentality, and internalized racism ("victim mentality") all serve to maintain the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 6601/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!