Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Do People Hate Anne Hathaway?

For all you freaks who think it is just DL or men who hate Anne....

an article written by a woman!!!

by Anonymousreply 4204/09/2014

[italic]Why Do People Hate Anne Hathaway?

[bold]1. She tries too hard[/bold] When we look at her we see a thought bubble that says "PLEASE LIKE ME! I WANT EVERYONE TO LIKE ME!" Anyone that desperate for acceptance seems overbearing.

[bold]2. Her shameless jockeying for critical acclaim and awards consideration in her role in "Les Misérables"[/bold] There's no way you haven't heard by now that Hathaway lost 25 pounds eating one oatmeal square a day, cut off her hair, sang her own songs, and forced her agent to get her the audition. She's screaming it from the rooftops! Early buzz says she's great in the film and perhaps worthy of an Oscar, we just wish the movie could speak for itself. Which brings us to...

[bold]3. Her Oscars hosting debacle[/bold] As one person on Yahoo! Answers put it, "you shouldn't have to try to be funny. Either you are or you're not." Remember how she anxiously laughed really hard at her own jokes, or simply at nothing at all? AWKWARD! Many viewers claimed James Franco resembled his laid back, pot dealing character in "The Pineapple Express," and that Hathaway was desperately scrambling to pick up the slack, but we're convinced she was just in over her head and Franco hated her.

[bold]4. She reminds you of that girl you hated in high school drama club[/bold] Or the girl who really wants you to sign her yearbook. Overenthusiastic and obsessive.

[bold]5. She's always sporting a manic mega grin[/bold] Her gaze is a little intense at times, and her nervous energy is always evident. See also #4.

[bold]6. She's boring[/bold] Remember that scandal in 2008 when her ex-boyfriend Raffaello Follieri had to go to prison for fraud? We felt bad for Hathaway, but we still didn't really care enough to know the details. Imagine if that happened to Jennifer Aniston or even Jennifer Lawrence? We'd want to know more.

[bold]7. She's a dork, but not a cool dork[/bold] You know how Cameron Diaz is goofy and silly? Or how Reese Witherspoon seems so Type A and hyper-organized? Those qualities somehow make them more endearing. Anne's geeky behavior is somehow off-putting.

[bold]8. Her stupid wedding veil/hat thing[/bold] It's not pretty. It's weird.

[bold]9. She doesn't have the sly, seductive subtlety that Catwoman should have[/bold] Michelle Pfeiffer nailed the role in the not-so-distant past, so Hathaway was kind of set up for failure. Yet she's already lobbying for a Catwoman spinoff movie. Recently she told Access Hollywood: "I would love it. I actually, it's so embarrassing, I was at a press Q & A thing the other night for a screening of The Dark Knight, and the moderator asked me, "So what was it like to say goodbye to the character?" And I burst into tears, because I miss her. It just makes me cry. I miss her. I love Selena [Kyle] so much and I love her presence in my life and getting to… I'm crying again. So assuming there was enough Kleenex in the world, I would love to do a spin-off." We say let it go.

[bold]10. She's overexposed[/bold] Real stars have a little mystery. Hathaway doesn't let us wonder, and her self-deprecating, overshare-y comments feel like a made for TV movie about the girl-next-door who made it in Hollywood. There's no glamor! And now that's she's on every magazine cover (that Vogue cover was SO bad), and potentially up for several awards it feels a little like the media is shoving her down people's throats. We're guilty of that now too. We hate being mean girls, and we hope she kills it in Les Miz. We're waiting for her awesome acting ability to overshadow everything else.

We know we're not alone... Does anyone else out there agree?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

I wish someone would start a Twitter account and then post quotes where AnnE is gushing about AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

#s 1 & 4 for me. She never really bothered me before, and even after that Oscar hosting gig where she came across a little too cloying for my taste, I didn't dislike her. But after her Golden Globe backhanded compliment to Sally Field and "I forgot to thank so and so because it's all about me you know" reprise, that's when I thought, "Okay, I don't like this girl." And then I read about her little "It's AnnE!" mini tantrum at the Critics Choice awards... ugh.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

On behalf of my good friend Sally Field, let me just say to Anne: 'You are too twisted for color TV!'

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

I don't hate her but I'm tired of her because of 1&10

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

I don't hate her so much as I'm just sick of hearing about her. Which is only partially her fault.

by Anonymousreply 601/17/2013

1, 2, and 10 for me.

by Anonymousreply 701/17/2013

I meant 2 and 10

by Anonymousreply 801/17/2013

She's totally fake, and she's not good at pretending she's not.

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2013

What is the "Its AnnE!" mini-tantrum is R3 talking about?

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2013

R10, AnnE got an award with her name on it, but it was spelled Ann Hathaway, not Anne Hathaway. Up at the podium, she was peevish about it and said in so many words it bothered her that her name was misspelled on the trophy.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

r10 At the Critics Choice awards (I think that is what it was called---it was on TV last week) --in the graphic under her picture when they read the list of nominees they spelled her name "Ann"--when she won she made a point of pointing out the mistake

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

"Tis a pity she's been a pain this awards season. I really liked her in "The Devil Wears Prada" and her hair was better then.

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

I can live with people hating her for the aceptance speeches but the other stuff "she's a dork, but not a cool dork" shit is fucking pathetic.

Why would you want to out yourself as a person over the age of 16 who still judges people on criteria like that?

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

R11, her name wasn't misspelled on the trophy, it was misspelled on the video package that played on the screen. She called it a "[italic]bittersweet[/italic] moment"... Because you're name is fucking misspelled on a video package?? Get over youself, AnnE!

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

This kills me.

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013

R16 that's hilarious. "what would you do if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor cause he's hungry, and the only way to feed him is to, sleep with a man for a little but of money and his daddy's gonneeeee" that song takes me back.

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2013

AnnE is the messiah.

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2013

She's overexposed enough that lots of people have realized she isn't really that dorky, likeable girl she plays in the movies. She's ambitious, deadly serious about her career, and not much fun in interviews.

Which makes me respect her - she takes her job seriously and she's good at it, she doesn't have to be my imaginary friend. I don't see the cause for hate, except in those who hate any successful woman. Does she threaten your egoes, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2013

She threatens my sense of sanity, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2013

[quote] I don't see the cause for hate, except in those who hate any successful woman. Does she threaten your egoes, bitches?

please we worship M, Jessica Lange, Hillary Clinton.....some times it isn't misogyny it is just you in particular people hate r20

AND "EGOES" OH MY!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2013

She threatens my Legos!

by Anonymousreply 2301/17/2013

R20 The only thing she's successful at is irritating the fuck out of everyone and coming off as mildly retarded.

Oh, she's also a successful cunt.. much like you.

by Anonymousreply 2401/17/2013

I'll take 1-10, inclusive. Plus 11: She's not that good.

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2013

R20 = Needed a few moments off from defending Madonna and wanted to use some two-syllable and three-syllable words she saw on a billboard somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 2601/18/2013

I don't hate her -- I want to BE her!

by Anonymousreply 2701/18/2013

Because many people equate ambitious and successful young actress with evil bitch from hell. Why? Because they enjoy being venomous.

by Anonymousreply 2801/18/2013

How about shes ugly and has no talent?

by Anonymousreply 2901/18/2013

She so fake. I would hate her if I ever listened to/read interviews. I enjoy her acting. I think she's an above average actress.

by Anonymousreply 3001/18/2013

"Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor"

LOL. Her whole life is about jealously and being a bitch. She's probably a professional "faghag" who spends all of her life being a snot. Who cares. She'll find a new target next year because all Joanna does is cruise celebrity sites. She'll find someone who annoys her even more soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 3101/18/2013

Wikipedia tell us ...

Hathaway was raised Roman Catholic with what she considered "really strong values", and has stated she wanted to be a nun during her childhood.

However, she decided against it at the age of 15, after learning her brother Michael was gay. She has stated: "I realised my older brother was gay, and I couldn't support a religion that didn't support my brother.

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2013

The cocker spaniel eyes and the fakeness.

Jane Fonda is just as big a fake ("I'll never have a facelift, I'll never do advertising" etc etc) but she's a self-deluded fucked-up fake. Hathaway's fakeness comes across as calculating.

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2013

It's the teeth...The teeth!...THE TEETH!!! (Also the starey eyes.)

by Anonymousreply 3403/23/2013

I think she really is obnoxiously American. The manic grin, the crazy clown face, the overemoting and fakeness ... while underneath it all there's nothing but cutthroat and selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 3503/23/2013

EVERYONE HATES HATHAWAY!

by Anonymousreply 3603/23/2013

Because all her interviews and award speeches were painful this past awards' cycle.

She came across as Tracy Flick, and it was the opposite of endearing.

She really overdid the 'campaigning', and people are increasingly tired of calculation eclipsing merit.

The Oscars used to be fun, back in the day. People like Ann are the reason they mostly suck now.

by Anonymousreply 3703/23/2013

A slightly better looking Lea Michele.

by Anonymousreply 3803/23/2013

Isn't is obvious at some point Anne Hathaway will become the character of Joanne from Company one day?

A lush who snarks back at everyone.

by Anonymousreply 3903/23/2013

I never thought much about her other than, I really liked her hair in Princess Diaries!(SO thick!)

I liked "Devil Wears Prada"

Going back in time, I loved her work in "Brokeback Mountain"; I was VERY impressed that she "played age" so well.

Finally, I just now saw (PPV) "Les Mis." THe whole film was just so-so, I thought, but she really WAS worthy of the hype, all the awards. IMHO. I think what impressed me (I have a singing background; not Bway, of course) was not just the bitter+ interpretation of "I Dreamed a Dream" but especially, the angst/agony, etc. on the phrase, "he took my childhood in his stride - but he was gone when autumn came."

Wow. Just, wow. I agree she has proven to be very (too??) full of herself, but name 3 actors who AREN't.

You go, girl.

by Anonymousreply 4003/23/2013

New York Times article on hating Anne Hathaway. It says that even the gays don't like her. I kind of feel sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2013

Just watched her musical skit on Jimmy Kimmel, she was too precious and it didn't work

by Anonymousreply 4204/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.