Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do Any Of The One Directioners Come From Rich Families?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 4807/24/2013

Harry Styles is from a middle class family. He's from Cheshire, which I understand from my UK friends is a nice suburban area of Birmingham (I think?). My niece is a huge Styles fan its all she talks about. Yes I know I need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

[quote]Harry Styles is from a middle class family.

Which means he isn't from a rich family. Couldn't you just say as much without going into so much blather?

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

Wow, who pissed in your cereal and made you such a cranky bitch, r2?

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

R3, I was just doing my job.

Have you forgotten one of the themes of this board?

[quote]pointless bitchery

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

How about Louis?

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

None of them are from rich families. They have made their families rich now.

by Anonymousreply 601/17/2013

The Indian dude is rich.

by Anonymousreply 701/17/2013

r7, Zayn's from Bradford (aka Bradistan!) His family is delightful:

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2013

I am a Larry Shipper.

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2013

Cheshire is a county which is nowhere near Birmingham. The city of Chester, Cheshire's main city would be about 30 miles from Liverpool. That isn't particularly near in terms of places in England as it is so small. It is a generally rural and affluent county. I think all of the One Direction boys are from fairly middle class upbringings so no rags to riches stories among them.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

what the hell kind of thread is this? truly redefining the meaning of 'pointless'..

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

[quote]His family is delightful

How so?

Did the Muslim side of his family push the non-Muslim into mutilating his genitals, or did they deign to allow him to remain intact like most other British boys?

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

Injuns

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

[quote]Which means he isn't from a rich family.

You don't understand how class works in Britain. It goes back centuries. The minute you open your mouth people know what class you are. There has never been a Middle Cass in Britain, no matter what Labour tried to push in the late 1990s/00s. Hogwash.

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

R7 [quote] My niece is a huge Styles fan its all she talks about. Yes I know I need to get out more.

Yeah, right. Your niece. Is she like that Notre Dame player's girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

R9 That wallpaper looks like the background you'd see from some Romanians on Chaturbate or Cam4.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013

R15 What on earth are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2013

Niall looks like a poor lad from the wrong side of the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2013

English middle class doesn't translate well to the US. They might be better described as preppy or well-off but not loaded. Think country house and city apartment.

I think Harry is very middle class. Louis seems a little bit rougher but looks regal. Liam reads working class before he opens his mouth. Can't place Niall because I don't know Irish specific social class cues.

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2013

What I don't understand about the class system is how they had so many people "in service" who were apparently well-educated, well-spoken, well-mannered, etc. Weren't they generally from the lower class?

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2013

R20, what do you mean by Louis "looks regal"?

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2013

I mean he looks like a prince.

I also think that everyone is way off on the gay one: IT'S LIAM!

by Anonymousreply 2301/17/2013

R23, I've actually read on another website too that people think Liam is gay. Meh.. I don't think he is. I just think he's kinda shy and serious. He's not gay.. just more uptight than the rest of them, lol. My money is still on Harry and Louis being the gay ones. And before you start.. no. I'm not a Larry shipper. I do not believe they're together. I think it's very possible that Harry is with Nick Grimshaw, and I don't even like Grimmy. I find him repulsive and I don't like the way he's always whoring out his famous friends on his radio show. Anyway, Harry is gay but I think Louis is gay too. I have a million reasons as to why I think so, but I won't go into that here, it would take too long to list everything, lol. I do believe that the girlfriend is a beard. But I do not hate Eleanor at all. She seems like a sweet person. I also believe she and Louis are friends. I think Louis is in on it and that he prefers it because coming out terrifies him, so I don't think he's a victim like the Larry shippers claim. I have no idea what the arrangement is, or how it works. But I do think there is an arrangement there, and I do think the relationship is fake from what I've seen and heard. With that I mean they're not romantically/sexually involved, because Louis is gay. But like I said, I do believe they are close, and they're definitely good friends.

by Anonymousreply 2401/17/2013

Niall: Lower middle class Louis: Working class Zayn: Working class Harry: Middle class Liam: Lower middle class

This is going by their families' jobs and homes etc. Plus like some posters said, it's about how someone talks etc. Hard to define. Working class usually means not well off, middle class well off - parents earning £60k plus.

Hope that helps!

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2013

General Question:

How does being in a particular class affect someone's live in the UK? Do they not get hired for jobs? Bad tables at restaurants? Treated poorly by others as soon at their accent is heard?

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2013

R26 I wouldn't say anything as drastic as that. It's not a palpable difference, more like a working class person and a middle class person might have different references and interests. The differences are subtle though. It's linked to education - traditionally you are middle class if you went to university but nowadays everyone goes so it's not as obvious.

It doesn't really matter any more, but at the same time it's deeply entrenched! It's all about money/property/snobbery.

Upper class people are those with titles - ie aristocracy. They're all inbred idiots!

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013

Louis does look like a French dauphin from the Middle Ages. If he ever wanted to try acting, he should consider a period piece.

Zayn reminds me of the great silver lover Rudolf Valentino. It's a shame Hollywood no longer does silent film because Zayn and Louis would be exceptional in that medium.

Harry Styles' mother Ann Cox bears an uncanny resemblance to the great British movie star Diana Dors. Absolutely stunning, sexy woman. Harry inherited a lot of her physical charm.

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2013

Working class is in vogue, so much so that middle class people who became pop stars, like Damon Abarn, pilfered from the unmistakable working class culture and became known as 'Mockneys'. Peter Doherty was also a very posh boy before he invented a working class persona for himself as the lead singer of the Libertines (video link below). The only definitively working class singer who was both proudly cultivated and proud of his roots, not in a crisis of identity that i can think of, is Morrissey of the Smiths.

Anyway, here's Peter when he was a clean cut middle class type:

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2013

Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn on the class issue - this is funny:

by Anonymousreply 3001/17/2013

There are chavs (those who rely on unemployment checks and other social services), working class, nuveau riche (Reality TV / celebrity trash, Russians, etc.) posh people (credible actors, polititians, etc.) , and then the Royal Family.

I believe the guys from One Direction all come from working class families which was part of their charm in the first place when they appeared on that X-Factor show (no artsy fartsy family connections or something).

The Harries twins (Youtube internet sensation) on the other hand have a rather posh background with their father being a film / television producer and the mother being an author and a director.

by Anonymousreply 3101/17/2013

There is something almost sinister about the way that Zayn (like Rudolf Valentino) makes himself accessible in photographs. He is not the average pop star. He also does well by keeping a reserved wit and not taking One Direction too seriously - something the others are guilty of.

He may come from working class, but his visage transcends normal categorization. He's the type that would have been swept up anywhere to jet across the world had the band not happened.

by Anonymousreply 3201/17/2013

Why are all the newest heart-throbs imported non-American boys? (One Direction, Justin Bieber). What's wrong with American boys? No good American heart-throbs since the Jonas Bros.

by Anonymousreply 3301/17/2013

My favorite picture of Zayn. How many male models pose like this? It's incredibly alluring.

by Anonymousreply 3501/17/2013

R15, I am fascinated by the concept of pegging someone's background by their voice. I finally heard the famous Pippa speak when her book came out (see link below)

Is her voice considered middle class or upper class accent? I've heard her sister Kate speak and Kate's voice sounds so regal.

by Anonymousreply 3601/17/2013

r36 that is a posh accent that Pippa is sporting. I detest the royals and would prefer that I knew less than the little I know about them...but that accent is often picked up from one's parents who went to public or boarding school.

by Anonymousreply 3701/17/2013

r29/r30 - I love the Brit rocker clips. That's my favorite Peter clip...he really romanticized the underclass and became this person. Somehow, sometimes is authentic. I'd like it more if he was just a posh mama's boy who crushed on his bandmate.

by Anonymousreply 3801/17/2013

Are any of them related to Prince William? What about Prince Harry? That would be something. I wonder if any of them will attend Oxford.

by Anonymousreply 3901/17/2013

r34/r35 - The precise method of the technique is to think "fuck me." It's not lustful, but as you say an open seduction and vulnerability to being photographed. It makes for a great portrit.

by Anonymousreply 4001/17/2013

[quote]Harry Styles is from a middle class family

God, he looks pure chav with all those hideous, prison-style tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 4101/18/2013

Well, they're rich now...

by Anonymousreply 4201/18/2013

Niall's parents refused to move house when he wanted to buy them one. They wouldn't let him by them a new car either.

by Anonymousreply 4301/18/2013

Isn't Harry mother gorgeous?

by Anonymousreply 4401/18/2013

Is Louis working class?

by Anonymousreply 4507/05/2013

[25] Unless you are talking household income, you do not need £60,000 plus to be middle class, such an income would make you upper middle class and in the top 10% of income earners. You can be middle class, or at least lower middle class, on £20-30,000, and arguably too if you have graduated from college. In the UK the working class is then split between the skilled working classes, mechanics, factory workers etc and the unskilled working class, street cleaners, maids etc. At the bottom of the heap like the US is the underclass who are in and out of welfare with few if any qualifications

by Anonymousreply 4607/05/2013

Some of them have very young moms. Louis's mom had him when she was 19.

by Anonymousreply 4707/05/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4807/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.