Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Sworn Virgins" of Albania

"A perfectly ordinary girl, perhaps with aspirations of marriage and becoming a mother is asked by her family to take a vow of celibacy and foreswear sexual relations for life. She is not being encouraged to join a convent. She is taking on the responsibility and honor of protecting her home, her family and socially becoming a man. In the solidly patriarchal and tribal areas plagued by blood feuds and honor killings of Albania's rural mountain villages many such women who have "become" men act as the heads of their households. For sacrificing their innate natures, they are afforded considerable masculine privileges. Skirts and blouses are traded for trousers and button downs, long hair cropped to a manly stubble. They smoke, work and swagger about town with the other men. They are referred to as "he" and "uncle". Their absolute transition is accepted, posited and taken without question by the people among whom they live. They are called Sworn Virgins of Albania, or ‘burneshas’. There are only a handful left.”

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

You know, I read OP's post having misread the title as "Sworn Virgins of Alabama", and yet the content didn't sound all that surprising to me.

Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

Crazy but true. This is a happening in a society that has strongly polarized gender roles....and blood feuds that wipe out menfolk because women can't be targets. Interesting ancient culture.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

There's one in our street. Her name's Sharon, she has a mustache, and her iPhone ring is a motorcycle revving.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

"A perfectly ordinary girl, perhaps with aspirations of marriage and becoming a mother is asked by her family"

So girls can't choose to do this, they have to be appointed by their families? I wonder how that works - do they choose the butchest girl, the favorite, or some other criteria?

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

The ugliest daughter always is assigned this task, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2013

Can they do oral and anal and still remain virgins?

by Anonymousreply 601/17/2013

I see a MichFest cultural exchange in the future.

by Anonymousreply 701/17/2013

I believe the term you're looking for is "bulldagger".

by Anonymousreply 801/17/2013

The link doesn't work for me.

:(

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

It works just fine for me.

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2013

I swear.

by Anonymousreply 1108/24/2013

That's weird. The very first post of this thread originally said 'Dark lesbians'. How did it vanish?

by Anonymousreply 1208/24/2013

National Geographic TV did a segment on sworn virgins for their [italic]Taboo[/italic] episode on transgenderism a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1308/24/2013

[quote]So girls can't choose to do this, they have to be appointed by their families?

No, they can choose -- often they do it simply to enjoy a measure of personal freedom they wouldn't otherwise have.

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2013

[quote]That's weird. The very first post of this thread originally said 'Dark lesbians'. How did it vanish?

There's a duplicate thread.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2013

Obviously these are all huge dykes who choose this?

or are we supposed to believe they are forced into it?

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2013

[quote]There are only a handful left.

Too bad they don't need men becoming women. There'd be a wait list.

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

R16, see R14. However, I agree that a lot of these women must be lesbian or transgendered anyway, making the decision a lot easier.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2013

Dark lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.